The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #26
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Re: Those with ECE 2" drop in front

Mine actually worked out as a happy accident, turns out I like the 6 in the back... we're pulling the front 2" drop springs this weekend and we're going to cut the stock springs to bring it to the height I want, measuring as we go. Then, in a couple months when my budget recovers, I'll use the 2" drop springs with the appropriate spindles to do it right..

I'll post measurement pics of my old and new this weekend when I pull them too.

Trip
Trip59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #27
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip59 View Post
Mine actually worked out as a happy accident, turns out I like the 6 in the back... we're pulling the front 2" drop springs this weekend and we're going to cut the stock springs to bring it to the height I want, measuring as we go. Then, in a couple months when my budget recovers, I'll use the 2" drop springs with the appropriate spindles to do it right..

I'll post measurement pics of my old and new this weekend when I pull them too.

Trip
I liked the drop in the front as well but I would rather do it with springs and spindles. If I left the front springs this way I was still going to have to send back the front shocks. They would bottom out with that much drop from just the springs. I would also have to cut the bump stops on the front, swap the rear springs & shocks and get shock relocators. My goal right now is just to get it mechanically dependable in time to tow my boat this spring.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 03-09-2010 at 09:26 PM.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #28
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Stan at ECE has always taken good care of me but there is one thing that confuses me about the deal. ECE doesn't sell any springs lower than 2 inch. I can't see how they could have sent the wrong springs. It's not like they sell 3 inch springs or anything.

I dug up some pictures of springs I have run in my truck.

First picture is a Ground Force 3 inch drop coil that has settled after being run in the truck for awhile...10 inches

These are new DJM 2 inch drop springs. Never been installed. They did settle about an inch after driving it a few hundred miles. Again, this measurement is out of the box brand new...12 inches. If I measured them now, I'm quite sure they would be about 11 inches since they took a set after use.

You can barely see my bump stops in this picture. They are short Energy Suspension units from Summit that cost about 12 dollars.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #29
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Stan at ECE has always taken good care of me but there is one thing that confuses me about the deal. ECE doesn't sell any springs lower than 2 inch. I can't see how they could have sent the wrong springs. It's not like they sell 3 inch springs or anything.
Maybe he just put them on the wrong sides...

LMAO

Sorry, couldn't resist. It is starting to look to me like the unsprung height widely varies, which make sense if the material and process is different, too bad it's so tough to measure the sprung height to compare across...

TX Firefighter, any chance you could take a center of hub to fender well measurement?
~Trip
Trip59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #30
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

My measurements wouldn't mean anything. Those pics are of my 63 truck with 84 Suburban front suspension with drop spindles too.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #31
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
ECE may not offer more than a 2" spring but I guarantee you the spring shop that makes springs for ECE does. When I ordered ECE was out of stock. The springs were drop shipped straight from the spring shop. Seeing the measurement of your 2" & 3" springs makes me even more certain the springs I have are wrong.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 03-09-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #32
OhOneWS6

Not sure what the solution is going to be on this but Spring Specialties says they tested the springs and they should be a 2.25" drop. I have been talking with Stan @ ECE and we are still working on it. It just does not make sense for my truck to be on the bump stops if those springs were right.

This suspension was all the original from the factory front end parts when I took it apart to rebuild it. I replaced everything with Moog parts from ECE. It is the original control arms. Nothing is obviously out of wack. The truck sits level side to side.

I'm tempted to order another set of springs from a different vendor just to see if I get the same results.

I'm grasping at straws at this point. If it is something with the truck and not the springs I need to fix it. I just can't fathom what it could be other than the springs.

Anyone got any other ideas?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #33
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Since I posted here last, I got my 3.5 / 5 kit from ECE. My truck is a big block, and I specifically stated that when I ordered. The kit arrived last week, and the box containing the springs said 1" SB Chevy. Called ECE up and sure enough my order called for BB springs but they told whoever makes the springs SB.

No sweat, everyone makes mistakes, so they ordered a set of BB to be sent out. Today I get a call from the spousal unit that Fedex had delivered a box and I took off early to get to work on it. When I got home, the %$$@ box said SB Chevy!!

I called them up and explained, then Jeff @ ECE suggested I mic the springs as maybe they just labeled the box wrong. The springs I got measured just a tick over 5/8 and he said SB Chevy should be 3/4. So I don't know what the heck they sent me. Now they're going to overnight another set so I'll get them Monday.

I guess the story seems to be their spring supplier is having issues. Your idea of trying a different manufacturer may help solve the mystery.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #34
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Since I posted here last, I got my 3.5 / 5 kit from ECE. My truck is a big block, and I specifically stated that when I ordered. The kit arrived last week, and the box containing the springs said 1" SB Chevy. Called ECE up and sure enough my order called for BB springs but they told whoever makes the springs SB.

No sweat, everyone makes mistakes, so they ordered a set of BB to be sent out. Today I get a call from the spousal unit that Fedex had delivered a box and I took off early to get to work on it. When I got home, the %$$@ box said SB Chevy!!

I called them up and explained, then Jeff @ ECE suggested I mic the springs as maybe they just labeled the box wrong. The springs I got measured just a tick over 5/8 and he said SB Chevy should be 3/4. So I don't know what the heck they sent me. Now they're going to overnight another set so I'll get them Monday.

I guess the story seems to be their spring supplier is having issues. Your idea of trying a different manufacturer may help solve the mystery.
Interesting.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #35
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I noticed in your pic that your bump stops seem to be pretty tall compaired to the ones I cut out of my truck...

if your going to do something outback flip your shock mounts on your axle it works very well and I'm using the monroe 5752 shocks up front...(50 chysler imperial)

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #36
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
I noticed in your pic that your bump stops seem to be pretty tall compaired to the ones I cut out of my truck...

if your going to do something outback flip your shock mounts on your axle it works very well and I'm using the monroe 5752 shocks up front...(50 chysler imperial)
The bump stops are new from ECE.

Short story is Coil Spring Specialties is confident their springs are correct for a 2" drop. They seem to think there is something different about my truck. They suggested that maybe it is actually a 3/4 ton frame or that the cross member is from a 73 &^. I am pretty confident that is not the case. They are building me a new set of springs. They should be here Tuesday.

Stan @ ECE has put more effort into this than I ever expected. They have been a huge help. We are all a little perplexed. I started another post asking for spring dimensions for others with the factory 40 year old springs in the front here. The measurements of my springs seem to be pretty consistent with others.

I will post more when I know more.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 03-28-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #37
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I saw that and its what brought me to this post

I just measured my bump stops on my spare stock frame

3 3/4" from the LCA

the rubber is 2 1/2" tall
maybe that wil help

Old 03-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #38
OhOneWS6

Quote:
I saw that and its what brought me to this post

I just measured my bump stops on my spare stock frame

3 3/4" from the LCA

the rubber is 2 1/2" tall
maybe that will help
Good thought but I don't think that is it. The stop goes into the mount a bit when installed so the total overall height should be ~4" It might account for .25" or so but not 2". Anyone got an LCA laying around that they can measure the bump stop mount?

Bump Stop ~2.5"

Mount ~1.75"

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 03-28-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #39
OhOneWS6

The other thing Stan and the spring shop noticed is how compressed the spring is in this pic. As Stan put it "It looks like an elephant is sitting on the hood."

As far as I know, there is nothing unique or changed about this truck. It is a survivor small block Cheyenne Super. The SPID says 350, the fender badges say 350. The motor appears to have never been removed. Until recently when I replaced the suspension parts, the front end was the way it rolled off the line right down to the riveted upper ball joints. My dad bought the truck with 107K on it back in the early 80's from the original owner. I took possession of it around 20 years ago when he passed.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 03-28-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #40
OhOneWS6

Here are a few more pics of the truck before I started the restoration just so you can see what I mean by a survivor. All I have done to the truck is carpet, seat cover, timing chain, HEI and now the suspension rebuild. My dad put the dual exhaust and rally wheels on back in the 80's. The paint was also touched up back when he drove it. You can faintly see the change in white over the drivers rear wheel where it had a few scratches. They also painted below the fuel fill and the front of the hood. You can also see a little white over spray on the drivers door jamb.

EDIT: Oh Yeah, I put a Z-Rock sticker on the back window back in the day. I removed that recently. It is now a station here in Dallas.

Maybe someone will see something from the pics that we are missing.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 03-28-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #41
67vetteal

Reading this Thread makes me think I'll just go with the Drop Spindles and play it safe. Thoughts? Al W.
67vetteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #42
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

be right back I'l go peal the rubber out!!...LMOA

Old 03-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #43
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67vetteal View Post
Reading this Thread makes me think I'll just go with the Drop Spindles and play it safe. Thoughts? Al W.
LOL. Wait another week and we will probably have this resolved.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #44
OhOneWS6

Quote:
be right back I'l go peal the rubber out!!...LMOA
Awesome.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 03-28-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #45
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

dam I got the same #'s as you

Need a good used bump stop...lmao!!
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #46
OhOneWS6

Quote:
dam I got the same #'s as you

Need a good used bump stop...lmao!!
LOL. swing and a miss. I was hoping you were on to something. Thanks anyway.

Next batter???
Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #47
OhOneWS6

Ugh. Got my replacement springs today. I give up. They raised the truck almost 4" which is about as close as you can get to stock ride height. ~19.5" from center of the hub to the top of the wheel opening. Stan and all the guys at ECE have been very helpful. It's the guys at Coil Spring Specialties that can't get it right.

I ordered a set of DJM springs from Summit tonight. They will be here in a few days. I'm betting they put the truck exactly where I want it. 2" lower than stock ride height in the front.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 04-01-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #48
OARNGESI

you may have the right ones now your old ones may have been sagging us it level
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #49
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OARNGESI View Post
you may have the right ones now your old ones may have been sagging us it level
Nope. The springs that are in it now have the truck sitting at the stock height. I know my original springs sagged. The first springs were suppose to drop the truck 2" from original height. It dropped it all the way to the bump stops and beyond. This was closer to a 4" drop. The second set of springs raised it almost 4" from there. This put it back at stock height or 1.5" higher than it was with my original sagging springs. This has all been confirmed with ECE after taking several measurements.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #50
olskoolchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhOneWS6 View Post
I removed the bump stop and the shock from the drivers side. The truck settled in at about the same height. Maybe 1/8" lower. I checked and the shocks will only have about 1" of travel before bottoming out. I like the stance but I feel like it is too much drop for a spring alone. I would love to have it this low but I would fell a lot better if it was done with a 2" spring and 2.5" spindle.

The other issue is going to be the rear. I ordered 2/3 springs and KYB shocks to match. If the rear are correct it is going to have a hell of a rake. If they match the front, I'm going to need shock reloacators and shorter shocks if I decide to keep the springs.

Guess I'll call ECE on Monday and see what the next step is. I'm sure they will take care of me.

Thanks for all the help. I'll update as soon as I have it resolved.

Matt
You will definitely have a helluva rake. I have an ECE 2.5" spindle with 2" drop springs on the front and a 6" drop on the rear and mine still sits a little lower in the front, but I'm also running 255/60/15's on the front and 275/60/15's on the rear. I'll take pictures when I get home.

Last edited by olskoolchevy; 04-02-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: mistake
olskoolchevy is offline   Reply With Quote