The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #26
Armo67

Re: Armo's 67 C30

Well, it's been a long 2 months. Better weather is finally here and I'm starting to make a little headway on the truck.

The deal for the tow bed fell through again. Sometimes ebay/craigslist can leave a bitter taste... the decisions been made to sell the bed & tow equipment for scrap and there is no going back now.

It's probably for the best anyways, I've had bolts snap and cotter pins disintegrate. Both booms came crashing down. narrowly missing me but wiping out one of my small toolboxes I had sitting on the back of the truck. The tow equipment wasn't really taken care of very well. the whole left side was bent and bound up, including the left downrigger that was stuck halfway down and had to be cut off.

Here she sits as of this weekend. It took most of the day to get everything removed, and it was quite a workout for me! Not to mention my little grinder.
Armo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #27
Saclandman

I actually like this look. Get a 5th wheel hitch and pull a big goose-neck car hauler with it.

1967 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside w/283 and 4spdSOLD
2002 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 5.3L SOLD
2015 Chevy Silverado Crew 4X4 5.3L
Saclandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #28
Armo67

Finally got a break in my schedule, so I was able to do a little more cutting on the bed. Hopefully it won't be too long and she'll be down to just the frame.

I did like the look of the tow bed without the tow equipment,but I have a longhorn bed ready to go on it, and I know I'll love that look even more.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #29
Armo67

Cut the back end off of it. was a very heavy piece. Now i just have the diamond plate to get off. broke into that this past weekend... almost got done, and angle grinder gave up the ghost. So I get to find out just how good the 3 yr. Dewalt manufacturer's warranty is.

I have a buddy coming over tonight with a plasma cutter, hopefully we'll make quick work of what is left.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #30
knomadd

Nice progress. Keep it up!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #31
Armo67

Well, she's finally down to the frame rails! the diamond plate was a lot heavier than I expected. instead of lifting it off, we slid it off the back and drove the truck out from under it.

we also had an unexpected event. the rubber fuel line from the bottom of the tank dry rotted and sprung a leak. soaking the ground where the truck was sitting. gas/fumes caught fir and melted one of the magnetic brake lights and some of the wiring and charred a bit of the treads on the inner passenger side tire. it was put out and no major damage. the light will probably still work when i rewire it, there is enough spare wire to make it work and it'll need a new lens.

It'll be time to call the scrap man soon and get my work area cleaned up. looking forward to having more room around the truck to move. if they try to low-ball me for coming and getting the scrap, I'll have to load it on a trailer and take it to another scrapper to get the most i can for it.

I still have one brace from the bed to cut off and a little cutting to do on the front frame horns where the push bumper was welded on, then a lot of grinding and cleanup work.

Here is last night's progress...

Old 07-03-2015, 04:53 PM   #32
keith cservak

Any up dates on this truck.
Keith.
keith cservak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #33
Armo67

There has been some, but not a lot. Too much overtime at work, and out of town/state when not at work. but hopefully here soon.

I've been working on cleaning and painting the frame, which i will probably need to do again, either from a lackluster product or use of the wrong product on my part. it's all a learning experience, and that's the point of this for me.

I've also been grinding all of the bondo off of the body to see what kind of shape it is actually in. There has been a lot of body filler applied to it over the years for sure.

it also developed an issue starting. it would fire up if you dump some gas in the carb, but not by just turning the key. even though it was putting gas in the carb when it cranked. so i pulled the seat and pulled the tank. I drained the tank, but still need to clean it out. just haven't had the time.

I'll try and get some pics in its current state sometime this week.