The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #26
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Re: Truth be told about Showcars Fiberglass..

wow, that really sucks. you paid good money, waited along time, and still got a lousy part.

It's really too bad that so many glass companies are like that, shoddy workmanship etc. As mentioned above, It's not just for us, rx7's, mustangs, even the little imports all have to deal with who actually has a decent product.

I'm a moldmaker, custom fabricator, etc and am making some glass parts now. Starting small with what I have in my garage, making radiused fenders for 67-72 bodies. I would love it to turn into something good, like a full time business, but right now it's just a labor of love.

but dang, that is some lousy glass work, in the last pic, there's even fiberglass that hasn't been wet out with any resin. I see what looks like alligatoring and or crazing on alot of the gelcoat surface. Maybe it's just dyed resin, hard to tell in the pics. Also can see lousy lay-up all over the thing, alot of spots look like there were bubbles, they were ground out and just covered with resin(instead of filling them properly) or just left rough.
I don't know how any glass shop could let something like that go out the door. I know I never would...

Also, it looks like it was assembled from multiple pieces, instead of made in one single mold, with one good continuous lay-up. I hate to say it, but I'd check all their seams really well, I would hate for it to start cracking up after it's installed. If their seams/joints aren't strong, then the whole piece isn't strong.
in a few spots where the hood section meets the fender on the inside, you can see bubble or dry cloth, that's no good and needs serious attention...
I really don't understand why it's not 1 piece, rather a few pieces put together. But maybe I'm biased, I made the tilt front for my truck cause every other one was expensive and questionable quality. ( I can sit on my hood and it's truly one piece!)

super73- I'm out of work too(do custom auto upholstery) so I'm working full bore on these fenders after months of a little work here and there on them.
Too bad we're on opposite coasts, I'd say we team up to get some good parts out there for once.

I would think that any body who does custom sub boxes and the like can fix that front end up for you nicely. so maybe your buddy can fix you up...

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #27
djracer

you should see if you can find creative glass works 67-72 molds. Someone has to have them.

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #28
dammitmitchell
the pollock

i personally diddnt see any descent support across and around your cowl area.. loks like it'll bow alot there..
... i dont like how that came out on bit man..
im sorry u had such terrible luck with them..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote