The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2016, 12:46 AM   #26
MMcMasters

Re: Father/Son 67 SWB project- Picture Heavy

I scored a high hump tunnel from another member. I'm happy to find it but I still can't get over the value of these things!!

Last edited by MMcMasters; 03-11-2016 at 01:09 AM.
MMcMasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #27
Racer382D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcMasters View Post
I noticed Lots of familiar faces too..I like it
I don't know what your talking about.... Oh hi Mike. Haha.

This is shaping up to be an awesome build just like all of your cars.... I still kick myself for not buying the Chevy II
Racer382D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #28
MMcMasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer382D View Post
I don't know what your talking about.... Oh hi Mike. Haha.

This is shaping up to be an awesome build just like all of your cars.... I still kick myself for not buying the Chevy II
Thanks brother!
Old 03-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #29
MMcMasters

Beefed up the stock 12 bolt yesterday. Eaton posi, Yukon 3.73 gears and Moser axles. Still need to weld some brake line tabs on then we can get the housing painted and put it for good.

I also started welding up some holes on the firewall and got the clutch linkage hole filled. i have a bunch more to do though.

Mike
Old 03-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #30
djeCST

You're so lucky to be able to do this with your son, so many kids today can't seem to get their noses out of their electronic devices. Savor the time you two get to spend together, there isn't a price you can put on that.

The truck is shaping up beautifully!
djeCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:30 PM   #31
MMcMasters

Thank you very much!
Old 04-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #32
MMcMasters

We finished installing the brakes and plan to start building brake lines this weekend.

I don't know if any of you have used Nicopp brake line but it is the easiest line to bend/flare that I have ever used. I will never go back to stainless again.

Mike
Old 04-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #33
j ripper

Nice project!!! I need your blue bedsides. Keep up the good work!!
Old 04-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #34
SCOTI

Quote:
We finished installing the brakes and plan to start building brake lines this weekend. I don't know if any of you have used Nicopp brake line but it is the easiest line to bend/flare that I have ever used. I will never go back to stainless again.

Mike
I've heard of this material but not seen it in person. Is the finished 'polished/bright' looking like SS or does it have a color to it (hard to tell via a monitor)?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #35
MMcMasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I've heard of this material but not seen it in person. Is the finished 'polished/bright' looking like SS or does it have a color to it (hard to tell via a monitor)?
It comes looking like copper. If you take 00 steel wool to it, it will polish like stainless. I like to use a scotch brite pad and give it a brushed look.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #36
crazycrew

This is awesome. You guys are doing a great job.
I'm currently on the hunt for a project for myself and my 8 year old son. He is a complete automobile nut. So hopefully I'm able to keep his interest up!!
crazycrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #37
SCOTI

Quote:
It comes looking like copper. If you take 00 steel wool to it, it will polish like stainless. I like to use a scotch brite pad and give it a brushed look.
Ok..... That's kind of what it looked like (copper tint).
Thanks.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 04-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #38
jeh

Chassis looks very good Mike. Keep up the good work
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #39
1000rrstunna

Excellent work so far! Tagging along. My frame is going to the coater this week after I fill some holes with my new welding spoon and rip more of the un used stock parts off and do the c notch.
1000rrstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:14 PM   #40
MMcMasters

I got out in the shop today and decided to focus on the cab. I really want to get it in epoxy very soon and get the firewall painted and get the cab jammed before it goes back on the chassis.

The main thing I need to get done is fix a small rust spot on the upper passenger side firewall and start smoothing the firewall and get rid of all of the ugly holes.

Be kind. My metal skills aren't in the same ballpark as most on here but I do work cheap I know if there are no pictures it didn't happen so here are a few.

First I filled the blower hole.

The passenger side of the firewall is ugly and isn't proportional with the drivers side. I made a cardboard template and transferred it to metal. It took me way longer then it should have but it came out ok. I need to grind and metal finish the blower hole and fix the rust before I weld in the corner piece.

I hope to get back on it a few nights this week and really hit it hard next weekend. My boy is on spring break so we should log a lot of hours this week.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #41
MMcMasters

I'm really considering boxing off the harness channel on top of the firewall too. I was hoping for some input from those who have done it. It will help strengthen the corner pice that I made and I think it will really clean up the firewall.

Please let me know what you all think and if you have any pics of some that are done that way, that would be great.

Mike
Old 04-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #42
SCOTI

Quote:
I'm really considering boxing off the harness channel on top of the firewall too. I was hoping for some input from those who have done it. It will help strengthen the corner pice that I made and I think it will really clean up the firewall.

Please let me know what you all think and if you have any pics of some that are done that way, that would be great.

Mike
It will definitely help clean up the appearance of things. I recommend it 100%.
I did my 68's that way but the pics are on a computer I no longer have access to.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #43
OddBall2

nice work !!
OddBall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #44
Austin_Jim

Very nice. I wouldn't downplay your fab skills - they're awesome. I just spent the weekend working on the Chevelle and I had to grind down a LOT more than you will have to. It seems everytime I make a piece, I have to weld/grind/weld/grind/weld/grind three times before it looks decent. I hope you and your boy are getting plenty of bonding time on the truck. I'd also like to see some updates to your Chevelle. >
Austin_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #45
MMcMasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Jim View Post
I'd also like to see some updates to your Chevelle. >
Jim,

I would too I won't have any for a while unfortunately. Waiting on my buddy to make time to paint it. I have almost everything to finish it and have seriously considered puting it together for the summer so I can enjoy it. I just can't make myself put it back together until it's right. It looks really good as is but it has a million flaws up close and I want this one as perfect as I can get it. It is really hard looking at it everyday and not being able to enjoy it though. It's very frustrating

Mike
Old 04-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #46
Austin_Jim

As much as I want to see it together (probably not nearly as much as you), I am going to agree with you and say wait until it's right. No sense in putting it together just to take it apart again. I've done that too many times on my Chevelle.

Quote:
Jim,

I would too I won't have any for a while unfortunately. Waiting on my buddy to make time to paint it. I have almost everything to finish it and have seriously considered puting it together for the summer so I can enjoy it. I just can't make myself put it back together until it's right. It looks really good as is but it has a million flaws up close and I want this one as perfect as I can get it. It is really hard looking at it everyday and not being able to enjoy it though. It's very frustrating

Mike
Austin_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #47
MMcMasters

We didn't get out in the shop at all this week but today we are back at it, filling holes and trying to make the firewall look just a little better. Once we get all filler panels made and tacked in, I will slowly stitch them up. This seems never ending, GM loves drilling holes in these things.

I really think in the end this will be worth all of our effort. We want a very sanitary looking engine compartment when we are done but man it's time consuming

Mike
Old 04-11-2016, 12:57 AM   #48
1000rrstunna

Project is looking great! I have a few questions for you though as I'm basically copying your build.

1- where did you buy the new lower control arm u bolts ride tech doesn't supply
2 what motor are you running and what mounts are those. I have a 383 being built and need a motor mount set for it..
3 when you converted to power steering like I am did you reuse the drag link? I just bought all new moog parts and the pitman arm for a power steering truck new idler arms and tierod ends also. Still need to get the power steering gearbox who's rebuild did you buy? My farme is clearanced for it since its a 69 I saw your mishap and went to check once I inspected your pics.
1000rrstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:14 AM   #49
Smith & Sons

Man,that's good stuff! Keep us updated.He will always remember this time with you.
Smith & Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:14 AM   #50
MMcMasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000rrstunna View Post
Project is looking great! I have a few questions for you though as I'm basically copying your build.

1- where did you buy the new lower control arm u bolts ride tech doesn't supply
2 what motor are you running and what mounts are those. I have a 383 being built and need a motor mount set for it..
3 when you converted to power steering like I am did you reuse the drag link? I just bought all new moog parts and the pitman arm for a power steering truck new idler arms and tierod ends also. Still need to get the power steering gearbox who's rebuild did you buy? My farme is clearanced for it since its a 69 I saw your mishap and went to check once I inspected your pics.
The U-Bolts are bigger then original (9/16") and I got them from Napa. Part # is 650-4065

We will be running an LS and the mounts and transmission crossmember are from Early Classic.

All of my front steering components are Moog as well. The box is a reman from Rock Auto for a mid 70's and was advertised as 3 turns lock to lock. If I remember right it was a Lares or a A-1 Cardone. The pitman arm was from the same year and is a Moog K6143.

I hope this helps.

Mike