The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2005, 10:23 AM   #26
modifiedGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72CSTC5
Yellow69 Truck looks really nice man. I think you did a great job on it and if you placed in the top 5 for the first time you ever built or showed a truck I think that is great. I probably will never even place that high. Looks good I like it. Congratulations.
I agree with this person, if it's your first truck show and you got in the top five then great job. Look at it like this , you said there were some things you didn't get done, maybe when you get them done you'll place the top ONE ! The truck looks good and everybody has their own taste in detailing. I don't think classic trucks should be judged with new" trucks. The classics show "true" work being done but any body can add some wheels or a lift kit to a "new" truck (not much "work" done there) know what I mean?
Old 09-18-2005, 10:31 AM   #27
see ten
WTB this ad

Bryan,
The truck is looking good! Things like this are why I have all but quit the shows. Sometimes it all boils down to the judge likes red fords better than a green Chevy. Some shows judge on how clean you can get the truck. My K10 has never placed at the Nationals. Just because you don't place doesn't mean you don't have a nice truck. 90% of shows are nothing more than an opinion poll or the "buddy system". This is why we are just about doing nothing but cruise ins. Most cruise ins are free, they are in the evening(no sitting in the sun all day), Attitude is usually much more laid back(no trophy stress). The shows get expensive at $10 - $35 a pop especially just to here them say this or that is better than yours. As far as the underhood detail goes, leave the hood closed. How many minutes total did you see the hood up on either of my trucks at the Nats? This keeps people from leaning across the fenders and the lines just look better with the hood down. Most magazines will tell you they prefer shots of trucks with the hood closed. Usually the only time you see the hood up is for a detail shot of the engine. I'm not ashamed of what's under the hood, but when I leave it closed people always ask what I have got in there. Long story short, even if your ride is nicer than the others don't get your hopes to high on a trophy. Go out because you enjoy it!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:21 AM   #28
GMan69

Your truck looks great. Enjoy it.
'72 GMC swb Stepside
GMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:33 AM   #29
shifty
Questionable

Redo the interior - add custom leather seats. Watch you go from 4th to 2nd with one mod.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:40 AM   #30
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

And when you do that, make sure that you send those seats to me.
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #31
70c10
67-72 Addict!

see ten is dead on the money!. You have a sharp truck. Shows can drive you crazy!. Don't get caught up in being a trophy hound. Judging can be very frustrating as you have already found out. My truck is heading into semi-retirement as far as shows go for the same reason. I like hanging out at cruises much better. Good luck with your truck- you will win some trophies for sure.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:16 PM   #32
mvpco

GREAT JOB!

And on car shows learn the classes before you enter , almost everyshow has different classes. I use to show Military Restored Jeeps and they put be in with 23t roadsters then some in commercial, then some with trucks. it will be frustrating cause you will have to decide quick when you register. so go alittle later or closer to registration cutoff so you can decide where to place yours. be careful about them telling you where or what class to put yours in,(they might know where not to put you so someone else might not have to compete with you), 1st go to have fun then second for any award.....

just my .02 worth

Jeff Smith
Pensacola, FL
www.mvpc.com

Last edited by mvpco; 09-18-2005 at 01:21 PM.
mvpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 02:48 PM   #33
C10 Club Tennessee

I like the hood down idea see ten. I didn't think I'd get so many opinions on the blue conduit. I saw a bunch of different sizes at a swap meet and blue was the only color that I thought would look good with silver.

As the classes go there were only 2 truck classes modified and original. The Dodge got put in modified because it had chrome wind deflectors, chrome door handles, and those chrome pieces that go on the bottom of the doors. No big deal though. I probably wouldn't be that upset but they asked me to be a judge for the show. I didn't judge my class, but that's how I was previed to the info about me coming in 4th. I guess if I hadn't been a judge then I wouldn't of known how close I was.

Bamm-I'll keep that in mind. I got the seats from Shifty's neck of the woods. An EBAY auction that was a local pick up $75

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 04:10 PM   #34
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69
I got the seats from Shifty's neck of the woods. An EBAY auction that was a local pick up $75
Before I say anything else, your truck is HOT. So much sweeter than mine and I envy you and recognize how far ahead you are on me. I don't want to be the guy that just gives constructive criticism with nothing positive.

With that said, if I were a judge (and I'm not), one of the most important things to me would be continuity. This was something that we always had to deal with at the mobile audio shop I used to work for. IASCA judges were all about continuity.

In looking at the pictures above, two things catch my eye as out of place. One is the tweed (or other fabric) seats...that's the only place you see fabric in the truck anywhere, but the color doesn't match the interior, exterior or anything else...and the other things is conduit inside the engine bay. Blue is the wrong color, and, again, it doesn't match the rest of the truck.

Normally when I see other cars with silver paint, yellow is the color that people go with for engine dressing. Something about silver and yellow just flow toegether pretty well. That's not to say yellow is the perfect color for you, but ... you might give it a shot ... or just go black.

Just my 2¢. If you're planning on staying in competitions, I'd go leather with a matching leather dashpad and armrests ... or something to tie the interior together. It's all about common elements. That, with some experimentation on the engine dressup could make a load of difference.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:17 PM   #35
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

I believe in constructive criticism is a good tool but I thing some of you guys are being a little hard on Yellow69. I kind of feel sorry for the poor guy, I know how hard he has thrashed this last week trying to get his truck done and all and all anybody can bash him about is the blue conduit. I think in time as he has more time to work out the bugs he will make some changes as we all do with our trucks. None of them are really ever done. I am myself a picky son of a *****, but I also respect peoples decisions on their builds, I also respect the fact that he tried to do as much of the work himself as possible. I think we need to be congratulating him and not ripping his truck down. My .02 cents. You guys can bash me if you want for supporting him but hey, what the heck, you can chew me up, but you cant swallow me.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 05:52 PM   #36
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

AsA, Seeten as he's known here, is 100% correct, I showed in USAC &
IASCA for a long time, car audio competitions for those not familiar with
those initials, and I never showed anything to anyone but the judges, I
had 5% tint on all of my windows, including the windsheild, yes I know
it's Illegal, but I got away with because I had 12K in the system, and
that was back in 1990, anywhohow, show the judges, no one else, and
by all means enjoy the whole process, whenever I thought I wouldn't
get a trophy I did, and when I thought I deserved BIS I didn't place
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T

Last edited by LUV2XCLR8; 09-18-2005 at 05:52 PM.
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 06:45 PM   #37
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
I believe in constructive criticism is a good tool but I thing some of you guys are being a little hard on Yellow69. I kind of feel sorry for the poor guy, I know how hard he has thrashed this last week trying to get his truck done and all and all anybody can bash him about is the blue conduit.
If all anyone can complain about is blue conduit, that says a hell of a lot about the truck.

I followed really closely through the hell he went through with the people who did the body work because I thought the truck was wicked sweet. I totally appreciate what he's been through. The premise of the thread was "getting robbed" by getting fourth place. I think people are genuinely interested here in giving ideas on things to change that might switch it up.

I guess you gotta consider that people could just sit here and kiss ass and be like, "hell yeah, you got robbed, your truck is perfect, shouldn't change a thing..." but that would be like purposefully not telling your friend he's got a booger in his nose when you're hanging out with the swedish bikini team.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:44 PM   #38
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
...and all and all anybody can bash him about is the blue conduit.
OK, I'll mention that (at least in the picture, which is often more kind than in person), the driver's fender and door paint/metallic angle don't match-- a repaint, maybe? The driver's door down by the rocker and fender looks curled in. The tailgate looks _original_ (read as pretty dented).

This isn't negative. It's constructive criticism. The OP started the thread by announcing to the world that he had somehow been underminde by judicial corruption. Maybe so... but a late model semi-stock truck is a lot more likely to have the above issues off his plate, which means he can spend more time woo-ing the judges with bling and whatnot.

Your truck looks pretty good. That doesn't make it a show winner just for that.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:35 PM   #39
68Stepbed

Hey Bryan, Nice work on the truck. I know there's been alot a constructive criticism on here so I'll spare some. I do have to agree with seeten. I figured out a long time ago that if you go for trophies, your gonna be let down.

It seems like anymore, if you don't have at least 40 grand in the vehicle and know the right people, you're screwed out of winning either way. I liked car shows alot better when they were judged by craftsmanship and effort than the amount of billet aluminum you could afford to buy. I think they should have different classes for people that built their own rides and people who payed someone to build a car and never lay a finger on it except to back it out of a trailer and park in a winner circle.

I quit going to the Nationals in PF because of political crap. The only reason I went this past May was to meet board members. It was great to put faces with the names of members that I'd been talking to here but never met.

I've gotten to the point that I have more fun driving to and from the shows than the shows themselves. I went to Somerset, KY in July and it was the most fun I've had with my truck since I've owned it. Just because of the adventure of driving my truck to the show with family and friends.

The only criticism I'll give(which is more advice) is don't get caught up with winning. Go for the fun of going and hanging out with friends and family if they go. Have fun with the truck, drive the pee out of it, and buld it the way you want to. It's your truck that you built and that's more than some people can say.

Sorry to rant, but I had to get that off my chest.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:55 PM   #40
BraveDave

I was in a street rod club for 10 years. We hosted one of the biggest shows in the state and it never failed..someone was upset because they didn't get a trophy. One guy did a burnout after another T-bucket beat him for first place...just to let everyone know how upset he was. We didn't judge the cars. It was participant voting all the way. I made sure that everyone knew we didn't do any judging. Your truck is outstanding by any measure. You have every right to be proud. After reading your thread, I saw that you really weren't all that bothered about not winning a trophy. The truck is cool and it's all yours and that's what really counts!
Old 09-19-2005, 12:12 AM   #41
C10 Club Tennessee

Man, I think things are getting blown out of proportion. I guess reading my original posts it does sound like I was upset. I wasn't really upset and I'm NOT and WILL NOT build a show truck. I just know this is a local show and I thought my truck would be nice enough to enter. And being biased, because I'm right, I do own the nicest 67-72 in town. After going to the Nationals in Pigeon Forge I definitely wouldn't enter my truck it's not that nice. I guess after getting there and seeing the competition I thought I MIGHT have a chance. Really no big deal.

Since I was a police officer here in White House I come in contact with a lot of people and we'd talk about my truck and if I'd gotten it back yet. The best part of the show was that probably 10-15 people would walk up and see me and be shocked that this was the truck I had been talking about. That was worth much more to me than a trophy. I guess they thought I owned a piece of garbage.

XXL-The door does curl in a bit, but I fixed it on the fender's end when I got home. Apparently the fender wasn't attached at the bottom and I never noticed it when I was under the truck. I just thought I was going to have to adjust the door.

Matt-Hope those pics of the seats help a little, let me know if you need me to take a shot of where I had to cut off the piece on the jump seat.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4

Last edited by 5150; 09-19-2005 at 12:16 AM.
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:27 AM   #42
Mudder

I could go on a on about this. I have went to probably 200 shows in the last 4 or 5 years. You have nothing to be ashamed of. Go have fun and talk with people. Cruises are more fun than shows. Most don't have any judging. Just friends looking at stuff and talking.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:25 AM   #43
GMC AMI

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8
AsA, Seeten as he's known here, is 100% correct, I showed in USAC &
IASCA for a long time, car audio competitions for those not familiar with
those initials, and I never showed anything to anyone but the judges, I
had 5% tint on all of my windows, including the windsheild, yes I know
it's Illegal, but I got away with because I had 12K in the system, and
that was back in 1990, anywhohow, show the judges, no one else, and
by all means enjoy the whole process, whenever I thought I wouldn't
get a trophy I did, and when I thought I deserved BIS I didn't place
Hey Luv, I was shocked to see you replied with words and not the usual smiley faces.

Brian, real nice truck you have. Too many blue tubes, adds to the confusion and looks like spaghetti run wild.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:44 AM   #44
96blazr

Okay, it's time for my lousy .02 cents.
The time: 1:00 pm
The place: This show
The Why: I'm judging the Trucks.
First and foremost, I don't give the new trucks much of a look, cause there just isn't anything there as far as "Craftmenship" is concerned. Big deal if it's been Dropped or jacked up or it's got a Bunch of stereo equipment, it's still just a stock engine and interior, in other words BORING!! So I move on.

Oh, here's a nice looking '70. I circle slowly: Nice paint=10 points. Wheels and stance work real well, he's done a good job on this=20 points. Fit and Finish look good=10 points. Real Nice Interor, seats work and the dash has been done really nicely=20 points.
Engine Bay................uh......well, fit and finish of the bay looks real good as does the engine itself, but MAN, those Blue tubes just detract like a MF'r from the whole scheme. Too much, Too many and Too Blue.
As I'm walking away: "Damn, nice truck too."
You would've won something as far as I was concerned, but the Blue Tubing as just got to go.

It looks, and don't take this the wrong way, like it should be in an Slammed S10 owned by some teen Yo-boy.

You can never go wrong with Black and Chrome

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:45 AM   #45
1969 BRUCE

Do away with the blue line covers, try and make all lines clean and neat like oem and that in itself will pick up points in judging.Still good going on your first outing.

Last edited by 1969 BRUCE; 09-19-2005 at 08:46 AM.
1969 BRUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:21 AM   #46
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Files
Hey Luv, I was shocked to see you replied with words and not the usual smiley faces. .....

Man did you open up a can of worms. Blue worms at that. Your truck looks awesome and your hard work isn't going unnoticed here. Since you started the thread with " I got robbed" it opened up the constructive criticism. I won't even touch on that since it's already been beat to death.

I will repeat what has been said about not getting discouraged. I have shown cars and trucks for many years. I have also promoted shows, and judged at many shows as well. The one thing you have to learn is don't let it get to you.

You are 100% correct that the Dodge should not have been in your class, and should not have beat you. Those things are going to happen if you show. They aren't right, but they will happen. Now that you know these are the facts, shrug them off, and move on.

Enjoy the show for the compliments you get from total strangers. Appreciate the opinions of your piers, and you will get much more long term pleasure out of the experience than the short term high that a trophy will bring.

As I said I showed for many years and won TONS of trophies. Most of them were thrown away when I last moved. What I do still have and cherish is the friends I made, the experiences we had, and the great stories we still tell every time we get together.

Which is more important, the trophy, or the experience? You decide....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:20 AM   #47
fade94

03 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 5 speed 4.10 rear
fade94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:38 PM   #48
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69
After going to the Nationals in Pigeon Forge I definitely wouldn't enter my truck it's not that nice.
Hey dude if you are coming you might as well enter your truck! I think they charge spectators $5 per day per person. A $25 pre-registration gets you in all weekend with your ride, and you are eligible for the giveaways. If you took a good look around not everything there is "fresh" or "show ready". I do think that most people that come in with the right attitude have a good time and enjoy themselves. Hell we drove two trucks nearly four hours to be there.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:51 PM   #49
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten
Hey dude if you are coming you might as well enter your truck! I think they charge spectators $5 per day per person. A $25 pre-registration gets you in all weekend with your ride, and you are eligible for the giveaways. If you took a good look around not everything there is "fresh" or "show ready". I do think that most people that come in with the right attitude have a good time and enjoy themselves. Hell we drove two trucks nearly four hours to be there.

If I can find a car hauler trailer I will be there w/ GQ, painted or not, and
yes she will be entered just for the giveaways, it's just 4 the fun of it
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:30 PM   #50
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I guess I'll take a different appraoch than most...be happy you have a truck that can get 4th... a lot of us folks on here, including me, have trucks that judges would laugh at, or move right on past. I WISH I had a 4th place truck
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote