The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2022, 01:17 PM   #26
FullOutPwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
so how did these work out for you? pics?
They look good , they feel in your hands like a quality aluminum base. They installed with no issues and plugged right into stock wiring harness. I am installing a headlight circuit upgrade harness though to power directly from the battery whenever it gets delivered.

Beam pattern, jury is out on that one. My truck is garaged until new axles get here whenever Amazon feels like delivering them. However turning them on in the garage with door open, I’m not super impressed with brightness. I will take some night pics tonight and post them.

New lights on passenger side of attached pic.
Posted via Mobile Device
FullOutPwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:18 PM   #27
FullOutPwr

Would help if I attached pic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2022, 03:12 PM   #28
Thealien

Re: Installed my Amazon LED headlights....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
Very interesting. I see Holley has come up with their own line of these, which includes 3 different color themes depending if you like yellow, original, or a more modern white.

They want $200 per light.
https://www.holley.com/products/exte.../parts/LFRB135

Photo of their 3 colors. https://images.holley.com/round_3wide_lit.jpg

Funny you should mention the Holley LEDs. Not a big fan of Chinese but there is no other choice. I had been happy with my Holley Accessory drive and exhaust so when I saw the had LEDs I ordered them, so I thought. User error I am an idiot and thought it was $199 for 2 but NO it is for 1! I couldn't use just 1 so I ordered another and it is not here yet. When I get the other one, I will do a side by side with a regular headlight in one side and the Holley on the other. and post pictures. Whenever that might be.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:04 AM   #29
GMC71k20

Do these fit in the factory headlight bucket?

I tried improvising with some Amazon LEDs for a jeep and they are too deep for the factory buckets
GMC71k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:08 AM   #30
FullOutPwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC71k20 View Post
Do these fit in the factory headlight bucket?

I tried improvising with some Amazon LEDs for a jeep and they are too deep for the factory buckets
Yes they fit in the factory buckets
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2022, 12:41 PM   #31
Thundarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOutPwr View Post
Would help if I attached pic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Those look fantastic!
Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 04:38 PM   #32
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmk View Post
Is that a 120 volt plug at the end of the wires?
Those are the living room models!
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:23 PM   #33
layinrocker65

I got the same ones as the OP for my 74. Had them for about 2 years with no complaints. Way brighter than anything I had before.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:06 PM   #34
Thealien

Some pictures of my one Holley retro bright light. It is the 5700 K version. Earlier in this thread I mentioned I was dumb and only bought one. Here it is. It does have DOT SAE HR LED VOL printed on the bottom of the bulb. I did order another one but as usual it is backordered.

I will try to get a comparison shot between the halogen and the Holley LED at night.

Old 03-18-2022, 04:00 PM   #35
Grumpy old man

They look high tech, But $400.00 for 2 headlight bulbs ? Seems high Compared to how brite these original factory 55 year old T3's are that came in this running / driving 67 truck That cost $500.00 .

I have to say there's something to be said about being able to buy a replacement bulb at any local auto parts store . if they don't last 55 years
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 04:33 PM   #36
'70_402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus69 View Post
Hey OP.... How are these lights working out for you?
I have had no issues with these lights!! love them.
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 07:33 PM   #37
maverickmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Those are the living room models!

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:22 PM   #38
kev2809
low n' slo

nice I think I will get me a set!

do u have any pics of them on at night?

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:40 AM   #39
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
They look high tech. But $400.00 for 2 headlight bulbs?
For those who don't want to spend a bunch of money, I've been running Hellas on my C10 for the last 20 years or so. They use standard name-brand H4 bulbs (in a variety of wattages), which I haven't had to replace yet. I've also used Hellas in a Chevy car and a Toyota truck over the years.

The main thing with Hellas is the lens and the reflector, not just sheer brightness. In fact they are probably not as bright as the headlights mentioned in this thread. But compared to at least some Chinese models that tout only brightness, the Hellas focus more light on the road and less light on trees and oncoming cars. (Especially the non-DOT Euro versions.) Cost at Summit Racing is $81/pair, maybe less if you shop around.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-002395801

BTW, what is the actual (not equivalent) wattage on the Amazon and Holley lights? Anything much more than 55/60 will require an aftermarket wiring harness or relays. I'm asking because my LED dash bulbs actually draw more current than the stock #194 bulbs, which surprised me.
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 03-19-2022, 01:07 PM   #40
Thealien

Quote:
For those who don't want to spend a bunch of money, I've been running Hellas on my C10 for the last 20 years or so. They use standard name-brand H4 bulbs (in a variety of wattages), which I haven't had to replace yet. I've also used Hellas in a Chevy car and a Toyota truck over the years.

The main thing with Hellas is the lens and the reflector, not just sheer brightness. In fact they are probably not as bright as the headlights mentioned in this thread. But compared to at least some Chinese models that tout only brightness, the Hellas focus more light on the road and less light on trees and oncoming cars. (Especially the non-DOT Euro versions.) Cost at Summit Racing is $81/pair, maybe less if you shop around.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-002395801

BTW, what is the actual (not equivalent) wattage on the Amazon and Holley lights? Anything much more than 55/60 will require an aftermarket wiring harness or relays. I'm asking because my LED dash bulbs actually draw more current than the stock #194 bulbs, which surprised me.

This was from their description on their website for Holley

Low Draw/Extended Life - Less current draw and 6x the life of halogen sealed beams
Compliant - No-glare beam pattern meets or exceeds SAE and DOT Requirements
Serviceable - Replaceable LED cartridges for easy serviceability
Old 03-19-2022, 01:44 PM   #41
Jason Banks

I have the 3000k Holley Retrobright bulbs, but have not installed them yet. When I was looking I thought I remembered them being 25w so I went looking and found this:

POWER: 25W (low), 30W (high)

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/Se...d_6?quantity=1
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 10:52 PM   #42
Matt's k5
BLAZER THIRTY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOutPwr View Post
For those wondering the same lights from the same vendor are available in 5 3/4” for us GMC guys. A 4 pack cost me $160. I will have mine today and will see about install this weekend. They are an H4 plug.
Do you have a link? I found 2 different sets on Amazon both look the same ,just don't want to hack my buckets apart thanks
72 HIGHLANDER K5 BLAZER 2nd owner

71 K5 MAMMA'S RIDE!
63 GMC 4X4 305 V6
62 GMC SHORT BED SERVICE BODY V6 (STUMPY)
74 GMC CUSTOM 1500 L/B
Matt's k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 01:45 AM   #43
Richard

FWIU the higher you go into the color spectrum light output actually diminishes. Once the lights start to blue the light output is less. About 4-5k is where this happens. Looks cool, but less output/visibility is added. Someone correct me if wrong. For the GMC guys wanting a headlight with glass lenses that is LED or halogen https://www.dapperlighting.com/colle...s/products/575 The reviews say it is a bolt in. Have a pair of lights from them for my 72.

Last edited by Richard; 09-20-2023 at 01:55 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 10:42 AM   #44
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
FWIU the higher you go into the color spectrum light output actually diminishes. Once the lights start to blue the light output is less. About 4-5k is where this happens. Looks cool, but less output/visibility is added.
I read a comment on another forum where a guy said something like:

"Blue light can be seen from a long way off which is why emergency vehicles use it; therefore, it must be great for headlights."

Well, not exactly. Blue light "scatters", meaning it can be seen lighting up the sky from a long distance, but that's why it's terrible for lighting up the road in front of your vehicle. What it does do is annoy the heck out of drivers coming from the other direction.

Good article on "dangerous/illegal" blue headlamp bulbs.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...e/bad/bad.html

And for folks who just have to have blue, here's his article on "safe/legal" blue bulbs. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html
Old 09-20-2023, 09:51 PM   #45
MS66

Quote:

"Blue light can be seen from a long way off which is why emergency vehicles use it; therefore, it must be great for headlights."

Well, not exactly. Blue light "scatters", meaning it can be seen lighting up the sky from a long distance, but that's why it's terrible for lighting up the road in front of your vehicle. What it does do is annoy the heck out of drivers coming from the other direction.

And for folks who just have to have blue, here's his article on "safe/legal" blue bulbs. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html
Good post! Hate stupid unnecessary lights clueless folks are putting in their trucks now. Sucks.
MS66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 10:56 PM   #46
Casper42

Zero comparison Grumpy. I have the Retrobright by Holley in my 72, and they are like a brand new vehicle - bright! I went with the Classic White so it casts a color the same as OEM, not that bright white or blue tint. Also $400 for two (not on sale) is not remotely close to what one would pay for a new headlight assembly on a newer vehicle. Many new(er) vehicles are upwards of $1000 for just ONE assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
They look high tech, But $400.00 for 2 headlight bulbs ? Seems high Compared to how brite these original factory 55 year old T3's are that came in this running / driving 67 truck That cost $500.00 .

I have to say there's something to be said about being able to buy a replacement bulb at any local auto parts store . if they don't last 55 years
Casper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 03:54 AM   #47
Richard

Quote:

Interesting, never heard about this. Also note this article is about blue colored bulbs. Like a lens, not the color spectrum of the light. What I understand is that the reflector in the light has much to do with a headlight as well. LED lights emit light in a different pattern than a standard bulb. Just putting them in a standard housing can cause the scattering of light which can be distracting for oncoming drivers.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:04 AM   #48
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper42 View Post
Zero comparison Grumpy. I have the Retrobright by Holley in my 72, and they are like a brand new vehicle - bright! I went with the Classic White so it casts a color the same as OEM, not that bright white or blue tint. Also $400 for two (not on sale) is not remotely close to what one would pay for a new headlight assembly on a newer vehicle. Many new(er) vehicles are upwards of $1000 for just ONE assembly.
Unfortunately, Grumpy has passed and will not be able to respond.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:37 AM   #49
MS66

Quote:
Unfortunately, Grumpy has passed and will not be able to respond.
MS66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 03:01 PM   #50
MikeB

Quote:
Interesting, never heard about this. Also note this article is about blue colored bulbs. Like a lens, not the color spectrum of the light. What I understand is that the reflector in the light has much to do with a headlight as well. LED lights emit light in a different pattern than a standard bulb. Just putting them in a standard housing can cause the scattering of light which can be distracting for oncoming drivers.
Yes, reflectors as well as lenses are important. I remember installing non-DOT approved Cibie Z-beams with the basic 55/60 bulbs in my truck in the early 1990s. The difference was night and day! After 20+ years the reflectors became corroded, so I bought the Hellas a few years ago.

Yes, the blue bulbs in the Daniel Stern article are tinted. But does it matter how the blue light is created? I mean, the nature of blue light is it scatters.

Interesting that many, if not all, 24 hour endurance racers use yellow lights. I wonder why we don't see that on street cars?