The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #26
WIDESIDE72

Re: Paint Jail/Extortion

Bottom line is $2500 is too much of a deposit. He might need a deposit to pay for materials but it woild be a fifth of that.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #27
Special-Ed

there are a lot of crappy customers out there as well...

and when my project is ready for paint, i am fully aware and willing to give a deposit, that covers the cost of paint and up to 25% of the paint job cost. but in return it will require a written contract on how long it will take(insert details) and when i will get my vehicle back. with status updates and penalties with shop being responsible for my legal costs... just as i am legally bound to finish my clients projects on time and have to pay legal costs if my company does not live up to agreement.

when my truck is ready for paint i will make arrangements for the truck to stay in my possession as long as possible... and bring them the truck a week before they want to start it... just because of the insurance liability

i know if i was going to pay a shop to put in a crate ls3 and 6l90e tranny i would have no problem giving the shop the 10k up front for the crate motor and trans... parts cost money... and most shops are not banks.

i have no problem with paying a deposit for work. but i want a contract with pay out schedule and project completion.

as a systems integrator i can tell you nothing gets ordered for any client unless its paid for in full in advance. because with what i do once product enters someones house, business office it now belongs to them regardless of if its been paid for or not. and when it can be $100S OF THOUSANDS OF $$$ im not going to be someones bank and hope to get paid. and a lien on a house/business is useless unless they are trying to sell.

Last edited by Special-Ed; 08-23-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Special-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #28
philB

Canada, enough said, don't have someone run into you up there, bad news.
philB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #29
Howitzer

That's where i'm at, Canada. This particular area has its share of oil money so the autobody market is that much more inflated, and service is very deflated.

That being said, can anyone send me some good shop names in Montana or Las Vegas? I'm willing to transport at this point.
Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #30
philB

ever watch US tv, Count Customs, Las Vegas turn out some nice rides.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #31
Howitzer

Yah, most of our TV programming is US. Interestingly enough I sent them an email a few hours ago. We'll see what happens.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #32
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
I would spend another 2,500 for bail money as I would beat the crap out of him.

Also NEVER pay a deposit,that should be your first warning anyone that has to have your money to do a job for you means he is not a real business person. My father always told me a prepaid worker never does the job correctly advice I live by.

Posted via Mobile Device

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #33
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howitzer View Post
That's where i'm at, Canada. This particular area has its share of oil money so the autobody market is that much more inflated, and service is very deflated.

That being said, can anyone send me some good shop names in Montana or Las Vegas? I'm willing to transport at this point.
PM me. What you need is a resto shop where they specialize in doing muscle cars, classic trucks etc. There is a resto shop in Chestermere just East of Calgary and they have been at it for years, and yes I forget the name. If you are willing to take your truck to Las Vegas I'm closer and know a top notch resto shop here in Saskatoon that will do the right job for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 08-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #34
haysonj

Quote:
dan42,

Is $15000 the going rate for your neck of the woods?

This truck was originally from Nevada and it's in phenomenal shape, i've never done body work and it's intimidating for me to try, it seems more art form than science.
I'm from the same area as Dan42 and I paid $6000 for my paint. I sand blasted and primed it myself, also did all the welding and panel replacement. All they did is block sand it and spray it. I've had a few people at the car shows tell me it is a nice quality paint job. I might add I did have a couple of quotes over $10,000
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #35
philB

well be looking for the reply from the Count, may or may not have somewhat of effect, mention my name to him, PhilB from new orleans, can't hurt.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #36
Howitzer

Well, surprising enough the Production Company got back to me on monday, and i emailed them on Friday. At any rate they were inquiring my budget and if I could get it to LAS. Threw some stuff at them and waiting to hear back.

If that doesn't work out i'm considering doing this myself. For the cost up here of stuff i can outfit a garage with some pretty nice tools and some books and videos and when i'm done, still have all the tools.

Here are some pics.

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/coreyhowatt/slideshow/Truck

Thoughts?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #37
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Well, surprising enough the Production Company got back to me on monday, and i emailed them on Friday. At any rate they were inquiring my budget and if I could get it to LAS. Threw some stuff at them and waiting to hear back.

If that doesn't work out i'm considering doing this myself. For the cost up here of stuff i can outfit a garage with some pretty nice tools and some books and videos and when i'm done, still have all the tools.

Here are some pics.

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/coreyhowatt/slideshow/Truck

Thoughts?
You have a great base to start with. Looks like it needs some rocker work which I am thinking about doing an instruction on (the way I would do it anyway). I think anyone who is willing to learn and is able to correct and learn from mistakes should be all in on a do it yourself.

I don't do a whole lot of paint work now but growing up with my father, I certainly did a lot and I did a lot of redo's as I learned. Take your time and you will have successful results. Remember that even white paint does not hide poor prep work.

Have fun.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #38
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Did you check the place I sent you the info about?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #39
Howitzer

I did, just waiting for them to get back to me. Thanks again for the contact info.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #40
jjzepplin

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
I'm from the same area as Dan42 and I paid $6000 for my paint. I sand blasted and primed it myself, also did all the welding and panel replacement. All they did is block sand it and spray it. I've had a few people at the car shows tell me it is a nice quality paint job. I might add I did have a couple of quotes over $10,000
That's one nice truck sir!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #41
Square_78

Send a message to Slammed66 here on the forum. He is in Red deer and he does drop members and Accuair installs and all that. He can prob recommend some shops in the area. Tell him Lonnie in Kelowna mentioned him. He knows me.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #42
1project2many

I've been screwed by a body shop, too. I've got a story of my own but it doesn't belong here. Over the years I've learned about the games insurance companies play. Honest guys that try to do resto / customizing and insurance work put themselves between a rock and a hard place. You bring one vehicle... one. Insurance brings repeats, pays the bills for years, keeps the shop open. Insurance says "Do this job for 40% less than your estimate" and shop is stuck. Say no and Insurance co. will funnel work elsewhere. Insurance pays body shop lower hourly rate than mechanic shop for same work and still tries to cut corners and costs. Insurance tells shop they'll only pay for used parts, but they won't cover all the extra time to get used parts into shape to install. Customer comes in and sees shop working on your old truck, obviously a project, when they need their daily driver back so they call insurance and complain. Insurance puts pressure on shop to get daily finished and you get bumped. Honest guys find them selves trying to play catchup and a smaller shop just might use your deposit money to make payroll.

For restoration or customization work, find a shop that specializes in restorations or customizing. It's a completely different world than collision repair. Guys in production shops don't like the long, drawn out project that most restorations are. They don't usually enjoy dealing with making sure all the right bolts are in all the right spots, or making sure door gaps are all 100% right even when the factory didn't build it that way. They want to let "close enough" be close enough. The big, slow job is PITA hourly work when they could pull here, push there, replace parts, and make a "real" flat rate paycheck.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #43
CUSTOM/10

1project2many;

I'm experiencing 1st hand what your talking about right now. My truck is currently sitting in a body shop that is primarily an insurance claim shop. I went into this fully aware the insurance jobs would take precedence. There is one difference though, I've known the owner for many yrs ( He's my neighbor ) and he personally is doing my truck, not his hired help. He enjoys a project like this every once in a while, and he's a perfectionist. I gave him no deposit and he doesn't want any money until there's color on the truck. I stop in his shop at least once a week, and there generally is progress ea. time. Except for the last couple of weeks, he's been berried with insurance jobs. I'm not in a big hurry, but do like to see progress. The last 2 weeks have been frustrating, but I haven't lost faith that he will do right by me.

Here's a link to my build.
Gary

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ivorce+therapy

I'll be up in the East Wakefield / Ossipee area over the long weekend.

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859

Last edited by CUSTOM/10; 08-29-2013 at 11:10 AM.
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #44
DGulliver

Guys, a couple opinions...

If your truck is at the painter's without being started on for more than a month- go get it.

If your truck is at the painter's more than 3 months, it's YOUR fault. That's way too long, and you should have already retrieved it. Quit buying the stories.

Painting a vehicle is not hard. The biggest problem for most guys is they don't have anywhere to do it. It's the sheet metal patching and prep work that takes all the time and expertise. You can spray a car in a couple hours if it's ready.

For what some of you are paying for a "normal" spray, you could've bought most (if not all) of the equipment yourself. Sure, show paint jobs are different on a 100 pt. restoration, but most of us would just like to ride with some decent shine, all the same color. It's easier than you think it is to paint a vehicle with good results. Don't let the paint guys fool you into thinking they know something you don't- because most of them don't...
'96 Dodge Indy Ram Official Indy Truck
'99 Porsche 911 Carrera
DGulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #45
Daves70

If you go to local cruise nights and shows and talk to people. Local guys are always willing to help with directing you to a trusted bodyman. The best advertising is word of mouth and most will tell you about thier experience ,good or bad,There are quite a few around here that I wouldn't hesitate to deal with if I couldn't do it myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Daves70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #46
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Bottom line is $2500 is too much of a deposit. He might need a deposit to pay for materials but it woild be a fifth of that.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you think $500 in material will paint a truck you're really using cheap stuff.

I do all my own painting and use DuPont Chroma system or PPG Deltron. I can get a gallon of the base color for $500 providing I choose a sedate solid color and that does NOT include the activator. Then there is primer and activator, clear and activator, sandpaper in several grits, three buffing compounds at $50 to $60 each, and we're at $1,100 or so before I factor in a $3,000 air compressor, two spray guns at $400+, respirator, etc., etc.

I'm not defending a flaky painter, BUT, materials are out of sight and since the overall job is still highly labor intensive, I don't want to use cheap materials and run the risk of getting to do it all again because something failed.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote