The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2014, 07:15 AM   #26
jdw

Re: Mostly stock vs. significant mods; Daily Driver

The labor cost of dropping most of those motors in is going to be the same, drive a modern truck and an old truck and see what you like more. The newer ls motors put out great HP/torque but are very drivable. You can probably even squeak that old truck through CA emissions. Throw in a overdrive tyranny. When it comes to looks, do a Google image search of this site and follow the trail. I like your truck, by the way. I even like that your dad repainted it. If it were mine, I'd clear coat right over the whole thing.
jdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajn View Post
Here is a different way to look at this. Look at the long box short box argument. It's like a blond against a brunette. You can't lose either way but we all have a preference. In your mind, you have your idea of what a perfect women is. Build a pickup that makes you happy. That's all that matters.
After me and my wife broke up I had a chance to start all over with a new woman that fit my preferences at this point in my life. I always have been a long haired woman fan,so that didn't change. I decided I'd like dark long hair,certain other physical attributes,and loved to ride on a Harley...as well as certain personality,morality,values,beliefs,etc. Well,I met a woman with short blonde hair with maybe not quite the physical attributes (certainly one of the most attractive 55 year old [and years younger] women out there) who is uneasy on my Harley...yet all the other stuff,and I couldn't be more happy!
Not sure what this has to do with a pickup truck,but maybe there's some good perspective to be found here that will help. How about,either way you go you'll be happy. Once you decide,just do it how you like and you can't go wrong

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #28
dmartin1

if looking for opinions,
my opinion is to go with the mostly stock look, with upgrades for better driveability,power,brakes, etc.
suttle changes here and there and a hair bit of the 'personal touch'.
i never like to do anything also that isnt reversable( like cutting body parts and going crazy)
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #29
dmartin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Once you decide,just do it how you like and you can't go wrong
and make a build thread with lots of pictures so we can feast our eyes and curiosity
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #30
knomadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucks68 View Post
I think that due to your lack of mechanical knowledge you would do yourself a great service to keep the truck very near to stock. With that said, what is very near to stock? In my opinion it is anything that can be easily unbolted and returned to the factory configuration. A 350 "crate" engine with an Edelbrock carb and MSD ignition mated to a 700r4 transmission (overdrive) sending power to a 3.42 posi rear end would be a mild/dependable configuration that would be fun to drive. I too like a dropped truck but if you really want to drive it with out creating issues or cutting on your frame I'd stick with a 2/4 or 3/5 drop at most. Good quality shocks are a BIG must too, Ride Tech Q-Series shocks are killer and offer a option to the "bouncy" KYBs that most drop kits come with. I would keep the body and interior as close to factory as possible, sort of pay homage to your Pop and Grand-Pop. Oh, and don't forget BRAKES, don't give it more GO without giving it more WHOA! You've got a great truck with family history to start with, I hope you start a build thread so we can watch as you progress! HAVE FUN!!
Well Said Buck!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #31
voxnor

Thanks all for the opinions! I know its an awkward question - as some have pointed out I need to just do what I want - but this has really helped me a lot so far!

I am nearly 100% set now on going stock cosmetically, with a crate motor/some extra chrome under the hood (it'll give me something to polish each weekend )

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartin1 View Post
and make a build thread with lots of pictures so we can feast our eyes and curiosity
I might - I didn't want to detract through from REAL build threads. Lots of guys here do some very impressive things in their garage. My build thread will last 4 to 6 months and each post would read "stopped by the shop again... photos of progress"
Old 03-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #32
voxnor

Speaking of going stock...

Can anyone help me find a photo of a 505 green truck WITH both side moldings? I have scoured the internet for weeks as I plan out this project, and for the life of me the only 505's I can find have no trim, or have the white dual paint....
Old 03-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #33
voxnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
The sheet is what is termed a "build sheet" by most people used by the factory to build your truck to order.
The mirrors are red circled as an inspection confirmation no more. You are correct the truck by not listing an option defaults to the short arm mirrors with the round head.

As I suspected ... <snipped>
Awesome breakdown SS Tim - thank you very much!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #34
Sicklajoie
The Niner

I kept mine stock for the most part on the outside, the interior is a mix between stock and custom, but I did a bunch of stuff under the hood to my own tastes.
Attached Images

Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #35
voxnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklajoie View Post
I kept mine stock for the most part on the outside, the interior is a mix between stock and custom, but I did a bunch of stuff under the hood to my own tastes.
Great looking truck! Appears to have very similar options to mine.

Do you recall where your seat cover / inside door panels came from? I was thinking about adding in grey inside to tone down the 'green everywhere' action...
Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #36
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxnor View Post
Great looking truck! Appears to have very similar options to mine.

Do you recall where your seat cover / inside door panels came from? I was thinking about adding in grey inside to tone down the 'green everywhere' action...
Thank you!
Sorry, I have no idea about the interior. It was a California restoration. It's a mix of tweed and leather. Someday I'd like to go back to stock appearing door panels.
The guy I got my truck from is from Shingle Springs. He has a candy store in old Sacramento.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #37
voxnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklajoie View Post
Thank you!
Sorry, I have no idea about the interior. It was a California restoration. It's a mix of tweed and leather. Someday I'd like to go back to stock appearing door panels.
The guy I got my truck from is from Shingle Springs. He has a candy store in old Sacramento.
Ha! Small world sometimes... Wife and I enjoy a stroll through old Sac from time to time, think there is only one Candy Store and I know the place
Old 03-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #38
Coley

Smile Re: Mostly stock vs. significant mods; Daily Driver

You're getting some great advice and tips here.
Remember....keep it simple and the chances for success go up.
I would definitely agree with overdrive trans. recommendations and the 3:42 rear.
The 2/4 drop is also a nice adder BUT do not throw away any of the original parts and do not 'cut' the truck or frame up IMHO...you can never get that back.
Disc brakes on the front...absolutely and make sure you have at least the front sway bar on there and maybe add a back one.
Exterior....I'd stay stock in appearance in terms of color ranges/schemes and trims.
Options...here is where the comfort begins, add some more sound insulation in the cab, a/c system, tilt wheel and a good sound system. Then maybe consider some nice seating options if you don't like the stock seat. Lots of guys have some good input and examples of this.
Drivetrain: well you are going to get lots of takes on this. The 290hp with a few adders to it will give some nice power for the truck...but we don't know how you drive or what you expect. One mans 'power/performance' rating is a 'weak' motor to another guy.
Oh importantly...and this is important. Remember once you start spending over $20k on the truck/resto....do not expect to retrieve that money on sale day. The odds of ever getting back that bigger investment are near zero....unless you are Chip Foose...LOL. A lot of guys want the next guy to pay their resto bills....and it just doesn't happen or wash out that way on sale day. So be very aware of what you are spending and be very comfortable with it being a labor of family love and heritage...because the investment factor will not be there from a financial point of view....do it to enjoy the truck!
Nice truck by the way!....
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #39
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

No one has asked... what is that 35K getting you? Is there a "budget" for motor/trans replacement/rebuild? Front suspension rebuild/upgrade (lowering, disc brakes, etc)

GM crates range in price from 1300 to 4 or 5 grand.

For a driver, I'd go with a GM 350 with just an edelbrock intake, 700R4 overdrive, 3.73 rear axle, and A/C.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #40
voxnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
You're getting some great advice and tips here.
Remember....keep it simple and the chances for success go up.
I would definitely agree with overdrive trans. recommendations and the 3:42 rear.
The 2/4 drop is also a nice adder BUT do not throw away any of the original parts and do not 'cut' the truck or frame up IMHO...you can never get that back.
Disc brakes on the front...absolutely and make sure you have at least the front sway bar on there and maybe add a back one.
Exterior....I'd stay stock in appearance in terms of color ranges/schemes and trims.
Options...here is where the comfort begins, add some more sound insulation in the cab, a/c system, tilt wheel and a good sound system. Then maybe consider some nice seating options if you don't like the stock seat. Lots of guys have some good input and examples of this.
Drivetrain: well you are going to get lots of takes on this. The 290hp with a few adders to it will give some nice power for the truck...but we don't know how you drive or what you expect. One mans 'power/performance' rating is a 'weak' motor to another guy.
Oh importantly...and this is important. Remember once you start spending over $20k on the truck/resto....do not expect to retrieve that money on sale day. The odds of ever getting back that bigger investment are near zero....unless you are Chip Foose...LOL. A lot of guys want the next guy to pay their resto bills....and it just doesn't happen or wash out that way on sale day. So be very aware of what you are spending and be very comfortable with it being a labor of family love and heritage...because the investment factor will not be there from a financial point of view....do it to enjoy the truck!
Nice truck by the way!....
Coley
Excellent advice about the $$ - I wouldn't be remotely considering spending this much if it didn't have a long family history attached to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
No one has asked... what is that 35K getting you? Is there a "budget" for motor/trans replacement/rebuild? Front suspension rebuild/upgrade (lowering, disc brakes, etc)

GM crates range in price from 1300 to 4 or 5 grand.

For a driver, I'd go with a GM 350 with just an edelbrock intake, 700R4 overdrive, 3.73 rear axle, and A/C.

Good question - the 35k is the target budget for the entire frame off restore. (Dissasembly, media blasting, powder-coating, liner, disc brake conversion, new powertrain, reassembly, and a wicked paint job [the specialty of the shop is paint]) Basically - the entire restore. There are still details to hash out - im actually headed up to the shop this afternoon to talk several things over with them.

I won't lie, some of these questions have me concerned. Am I overpaying in this process? I did compare shops, but perhaps I am looking at the wrong 'type' of shop for creating a daily driver vs. show car or somesuch?
Old 03-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #41
litew8

Ask the shop for references. If provided, call them and talk with them about the shop's quality, experience had etc...(maybe even ask if you can come see their truck/car in person to inspect yourself). If none provide, shop around some more.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #42
Trucolur

I had a 67 in high school a hated that I sold it !! But not some 20 some odd years later I have another one I'm building !! I say build it how you want with out doing something to it you can't change parts back and it's stock again !!! The 5lug change over is best for safety to me cause by saying 5lug I mean disc brakes all the way around !!! Then the mods you were saying didn't seem like to me you was hurting the truck !! This way you can really enjoy your ride because you built it the way you wanted and you can still change it back to stock !! Like if you cut the frame to make a short bed out of it or chopped the top 3/4 inches then your stuck with the truck that's a family thing that can't be Chang back without it not being the same truck they had !!!!
Trucolur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #43
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Ask the shop for an estimated parts list and labor costs.

No, 35K is not unreasonable for a 100% tear it down, make it new and pretty truck, but I would expect much better than driver quality. Just don't be shocked when it's only worth 15k when done.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if 15K or more is just for parts (especially adding in motor/trans). Parts add up QUICK! I just spent over 2 grand on new seat foams/covers, carpet, radiator, a few small parts, and suspension upgrades for a 66 mustang.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 03-14-2014 at 03:23 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #44
SS Tim

Quote:
Speaking of going stock...

Can anyone help me find a photo of a 505 green truck WITH both side moldings? I have scoured the internet for weeks as I plan out this project, and for the life of me the only 505's I can find have no trim, or have the white dual paint....
Don't feel bad I went through thousands of pictures looking for a 505 with both moldings and I don't have any. Face it, being a "fleet" color and one that had been on GM trucks forever it wasn't many people's choice over the metallics even less so on the higher trim levels. But I did find a nice polished up picture for you and a 72 in the full correct code 485 (505/521) Deluxe Two-Tone as a reference.

Quote:
Awesome breakdown SS Tim - thank you very much!
Glad to be of help. Are there any other stock build questions that come to mind?
Also many people are making axle ratio recommendations so I figured you would like to know that your truck was built with a 3.07:1 ratio.

Don't forget to put yor truck's birthday on the calender January 20,1969.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 03-14-2014 at 03:36 PM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #45
67 cst swb

My opinion...
Mostly just a stock rebuild to keep the heirloom/originality of the truck.
Such as:
Stock repaint - I like the two-tone
lose the mirrors, go with the stock small mirrors
reuse/replace all stock chrome
Chrome bumpers Front & Rear
350/290? w/TH350 (overdrive optional) with 3.73 rear-end gear (posi or limited slip optional)
lower it either 2.5" or 3" front and 4" or 5" rear
Add front sway bar if doesn't have one.
convert to disc brakes front & 5 lug axle in rear.
add GM Rally wheels painted stock silver/grey color

Then again this is kind of my thought on any of our 67-72 trucks
Do not tell the shop your budget up front or they will charge you that. I thinking 20K would go a very long way on this project.
Hell... your in Sacramento, CA. There should be quite a few members here in that area that can recommend someplace that will bring you in under budget. Worst case.. take a drive to Early Classic Enterprises in Fresno, CA. They would be a great stop for info, ideas and knowledge. I think "C/10 King" (member here) is somewhat nearby you as well. Look at his collection of trucks. He has numerous directions and possibilities to help your decision.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 4L80E Red

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 03-14-2014 at 04:49 PM.
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #46
67 cst swb

Quote:
Do you think i'll be happy with 290HP/325TQ for a daily driver? Or, as someone suggested, should I shoot for a stock looking block but add some enhancements to pull it up to around 350HP/350TQ?

I don't have too much of a lead foot - but I certainly don't enjoy driving something that feels like I can't make a quick pass if safety necessitates.
Don't focus on this number too much without knowing what rear-end gear you have. 400hp with 3.08 gears are not as fun to drive as 275hp with 3:73's

Just my opinion
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 4L80E Red
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #47
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 cst swb View Post
Do not tell the shop your budget up front or they will charge you that.
Exactly. But it sounds like it's too late for that.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #48
Rich916

Welcome from another Sacramento guy, Lots of locals on the forum.
If you haven’t “inked” a deal with a builder yet send me a PM, I know of a few shops that specialize in rest-mod type builds. Not paint Shops...But full restorations, that is what you want IMO.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #49
litew8

^ x2 Good opinion.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #50
7d1truckguy

Here is mine mostly stock, (MUST BE A SIGN OF OLD AGE) 1971 gmc with factory 402, and a/c
Attached Images

7d1truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote