The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
hotwls13

Dual Electric Fans??? Should I switch to 7 Blade w Clutch?

I'm about a month in on my new to me 70 gmc LWB 1/2t with 350/350. I think it was setup with a camper before (some weird wiring on the firewall and some "extra" wires going back to bed). ANyway, Previous owner put in dual electric fans (no flex or 7 blade fan on my engine). They also have the fans hooked up to a toggle switch???

I've only driven the truck off the trailer and onto the side of my house. I've ran the engine a few times since then to make sure it still starts.

My questions are:

1. Shouldn't the fans be wired differently? I'm in Bakersfield, CA BAKERsfield! It will easily be over 100 degrees for like 60-90 days this summer. I need this thing to stay cool.

2. Should I just scrap the whole electric fan thing and get a 7 blade with clutch? If so, which specific one should I get for my 350? Don't care about "period correct" just want "works when it's hot outside". Hopefully not too expensive cause this is a budget build.

3. If I do put a 7 blade on, would there be any benefit to leaving the electric fans in? Sorta double dipping? Or are they just going to be in the way of eachother??

Thanks,
hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote