The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #26
Wide Open

Re: For that kind of money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72_K10_Vegas View Post
Early on She said "its Me or that truck".

Kept the truck.

Keep a excel spread sheet, it does the adding as we go.

Done most of the work myself except for some coin here and there for a veteran buddy down on his luck.

Just figured in the rear suspension from Off Road Design and seems I have just a few more $ than Special "K" has posts.

Signs and Wonders, I figure I am still ahead.
Sounds like a keeper.
2007 Escalade
Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #27
jocko

I've always told myself that if I buy the tools along the way that I need to do the task in front of me, and do it all myself, then when I get to truck#2, it'll be much less expensive because I'll be ready to go and just need a truck and parts! Well, truck #2 was a long, long time ago and I've decided I was perhaps incorrect in my assumption as I'm still buying that tool I absolutely "need" every few weeks it seems. But I'd still do things the same way. No matter how you slice it, you feel differently about a truck that you built than you do about a truck that you bought. And both approaches are good - i think we'd ALL like to build our truck, be that a resto, restomod, hot rod, you name it - and we'd all like to buy that rare survivor that needs nothing and should remain untouched. Just yesterday, I drove some TX country roads between ft worth and fredericksburg and stumbled across a faded light yellow completely original 65 swb with original paint. Yes, for sale, and yes, I'm seriously considering it. As some of you may know - I've dabbled in the 60-66 world before, love that era truck also. But, like most, I'm also space and $ limited. But this is one on which I'd just redo the interior, swap in a period sbc, a t5, and otherwise keep as is. As an original 6, it screams for 2 more cylinders. Wouldn't have to touch the body. The patina, and I don't even like that word, is absolutely perfect. Now, all you purists are probably peeling yourself off the ceiling right about now when I mention the driveline swap - but to give you an idea how original it is, it still wears its 60s era stake pocket overhead lumber rack. It has been well used, I'll just say. So, no, it's not a Barrett Jackson barn find - but it would make a heckuva rebuild driver with some personal touches thrown in. Hmmm. Yes, the bug never seems to stop biting. So, what does this have to do with this thread? Unless one is in business to turn a profit, wondering about how much you spend has proven to be a little pointless for me. I almost don't want to know. I know it's too much. That's enough. And I'm ok with that - clearly we love these old chunks of metal, so it's better than "wasting" the money on something that doesn't make you smile every time you walk into the garage, no matter what state of the process the truck is in.

Last edited by jocko; 07-30-2016 at 12:19 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:37 PM   #28
mud.man.rj

I build a lot of projects for others so helpful in $ for parts or trade a lot also for parts i can use on mine or use on upcoming projects, makes a huge difference in building a truck with a normal paying job.
As for the wife, there are always plus and minus things to that but mostly a plus
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #29
a1vintage69

Looked for a 4x4 almost a year and waited was close to being picky and had to have a/c and not lifted , stock stance a must and must have an automatic. well I found this one and no a/c and it was lifted with 35's on it. first thing is I put 32 BFG's on it. now gotta get some a/c installed. I could not build this truck for what I paid.[IMG][/IMG]
a1vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #30
Wide Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1vintage69 View Post
Looked for a 4x4 almost a year and waited was close to being picky and had to have a/c and not lifted , stock stance a must and must have an automatic. well I found this one and no a/c and it was lifted with 35's on it. first thing is I put 32 BFG's on it. now gotta get some a/c installed. I could not build this truck for what I paid.[IMG][/IMG]
Nice looking truck.
2007 Escalade
Old 07-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #31
Wide Open

I look at it like this - I "need" a truck. I'm either going to pay a bunch of money for a new truck or a bunch of money for an older truck that I can make how I want it.
Plus my wife likes the older trucks too so it's a win win.
2007 Escalade
Old 07-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #32
a1vintage69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Open View Post
Nice looking truck.
thanks WO
a1vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:35 PM   #33
mud.man.rj

New trucks cost so much and are so dependable...and that's it..nothing else.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:55 AM   #34
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
This is great. I would like either one of those engines to go in my Chevy. I would be fun to record videos of people's reactions when they walk up to the truck at a show. Especially if you started it up to demonstrate it worked.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:40 PM   #35
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud.man.rj View Post
I build a lot of projects for others so helpful in $ for parts or trade a lot also for parts i can use on mine or use on upcoming projects, makes a huge difference in building a truck with a normal paying job.
As for the wife, there are always plus and minus things to that but mostly a plus
That's me, too. I haven't done my own for a while, but I get closer to it this way. Some perks/gimmes I don't need, but take and sell. That is where my parts money comes from. All I know is if I have any extra money at all, I'm buying parts!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote