The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #26
BuiltwithIvy

Re: average build time? im stressed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX58 View Post
I did agree to just get the cab and front end completely done first. The bed is kinda banged up so I think I'm going new. I'm ok with not having a bed for awhile. That should cut my project to a reasonable time frame. So I should fit the front end and doors then paint it? That sounds right. Do I paint interior cab first? It's going all one color and only the steering column,wheel,and door panels are going accent color. Those I can paint away from truck. I'm not too worried about engine and tranny. The big thing for me is paint and wiring harness. This will make or break me. Be prepared for lots of questions and pics to get this right. I appreciate all the help from you guys and respect all the work that goes into keeping these trucks on the road.
Posted via Mobile Device
doors should be fitted, bodyworked, and primed on the cab, then removed and painted, make sure your body guy drills some small holes through the hinges for easy alignment when the doors go back on, also, before he removes the doors, make sure you are happy with the gaps, a nice consistent 1/8" or 3/16" looks good, I like to use the thickness of a wooden paint mixing stick
The wiring harness is easy! but should be done in a couple steps that sound redudant, first run all the wires where they go, but do not put connecters on them, electrical tape them together, pull everything out and heat shrink it accordingly so it looks good, then re-run all the wires and put your connectors on. I like to use stainless tubing around the engine and run my wires inside there for a nice clean look. if you decide to do this, use mig welding wire and run it through from the end that will have a connector, tape to wire and pull through, then put connector on.
"To speak of the art of one loom, the art of one river, the art of one tractor, or the art of one automobile is not preposterous; it is to point to the size and importance of the gap between general knowledge and situated knowledge" - James C. Scott
1969 C10 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492064
1930 Tudor Sedan
BuiltwithIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #27
danheit

TX58, its funny to read this tonight. I was just logging on to pretty much complain about a similar/same situation. I am more so getting stuck with a lack of motivation. I have had my truck only a few months, and have done little to nothing with it. The body on my 55 is rough, but it is a running driving truck. Almost all of my glass is broken, doors are all rotted and sagging, I have no truck bed, and my gas tank is a plastic jonboat tank strapped to the frame behind the cab (PO did that one). I got it running a little better, rebuilt the carb, and parked it in the garage and haven't done much with it since. I estimated about a 5 year build on my truck, with plans to buy new sheetmetal for it each year around tax time (one fender this year, a hood the next, etc.). Then I came across a great deal on an extra truck minus drivetrain and bed. Now, my plans are to drive the one I got to satisfy my need to drive it, and do the body work on the other cab. When it's all done, swap em over and call it a day. Is that something you could maybe do on yours? Maybe find a cheap runner in the mean time that you have no intentions to rebuild? I find tri fives around my area all the time for $1500 and less. Just a thought.
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #28
TX58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltwithIvy View Post
doors should be fitted, bodyworked, and primed on the cab, then removed and painted, make sure your body guy drills some small holes through the hinges for easy alignment when the doors go back on, also, before he removes the doors, make sure you are happy with the gaps, a nice consistent 1/8" or 3/16" looks good, I like to use the thickness of a wooden paint mixing stick
The wiring harness is easy! but should be done in a couple steps that sound redudant, first run all the wires where they go, but do not put connecters on them, electrical tape them together, pull everything out and heat shrink it accordingly so it looks good, then re-run all the wires and put your connectors on. I like to use stainless tubing around the engine and run my wires inside there for a nice clean look. if you decide to do this, use mig welding wire and run it through from the end that will have a connector, tape to wire and pull through, then put connector on.

What do you mean by drilling holes thru the hinges? Cab side or door side?
Posted via Mobile Device
TX58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #29
DransportGarage

Quote:
What do you mean by drilling holes thru the hinges? Cab side or door side?
Posted via Mobile Device
Both cab side and door side. Once the doors are aligned, drill a 1/8" "locator" hole through each hinge and hinge pillar, and through each hinge and door (8 holes total). When it comes time to put the truck back together, you start all the bolts, stick a 1/8" drill thru each hole, tighten all the bolts and your door is re-aligned!
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #30
B_Hix

Quote:
what is the average build time to get one of these old trucks done? I've had mine for six weeks and its completly stripped down to the cab and rolling frame. Im staying mostly stock on this 58 so theres no modern mods. I see guys here taking 5,10,15 yrs to finish a truck. I want to drive mine now! This is my first restoration and i would like to know is there a sequence to putting it back together? I know rust repair,primer, and paint are first. Whats next? should i paint it partially put together? Or in parts? Ive also got the frame painted already. Engine and tranny are back from the shop. Plan on new wheel bearings and brakes. Interior and trim are last? Wiring is mystery to me, but i plan on tackling it myself. Im stressed out here, need guidence.
Thanks
Well, it really depends on how much time you have, how much you intend to do and how motivated you are to get it done - but most importantly, based on my experience, are you shootng for perfect, great, or good enough for cruising? You are your own worst critic when it comes to something so personal - keep your goals and intent in mind.

Helps to make a project plan too - something with major goals followed by the minor steps require to achieve them. Kinda like:

- FRAME
- Strip
- Repair
- Prep
- Spray
- Install suspension / stance
- pre wire

- CAB
- etc, etc

Goals change, but having a master plan helps you keep focused...

Me? I removed the front fenders, hood, grill etc to clean up the firewall & frame/suspension and install a new engine and replumb everything.

That was seven years ago and I ended up with a empty cab on a frame

Good new is it'll be rolling this spring.

Be patient, and most importantly - remember why you bought it - to work on? to restore? to cruise? to make a show truck? etc.... Just stay focused in whatever you do
B_Hix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #31
mobileortho

6 years + for me. It takes time and money. I've got more time than money!!

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #32
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondobob View Post
My "trick" for getting through a project is to do something every day even if it's only making a list or finding a part number.

Another thought, if you spend time going to car/truck shows and cruising the net or reading magazines maybe you will feel like I do. "Heck, I should be home working on my stuff not looking at other peoples stuff". But that's just me...
Going to car shows and cruising the net is called "research" Going to a Goodguys event is great because they have so many vendors with their parts and pieces there to look at and compare by walking a few feet between displays. Sometimes that saves a lot of headaches because what looks so great in magazine adds or internet adds doesn't look so great or isn't want you really want when you see the actual item. Then you get the chance to talk to the vendors and quite often get to talk to the head guys of the company instead of just some hired sales rep. Plus you get to look at other trucks out on the grounds and make notes on what you like or don't like and sometimes that tells you that your idea is right on the money and at others it tells you that something that you thought was going to be great doesn't look great in one of our trucks when you see it actually in one.

This might save you from buying the wrong set of wheels, steering wheel, Guages or some other item that requires a serous cash outlay and you only want to do once.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #33
51 okie

My favorite part of having a project, is having a project. I say get it running and drivable and don't sweat it. Enjoy it!!
51 okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #34
pvienneau

Here is what I did. 1st bought a 49 pickup that was in great shape, original, and running. Someone else did the 75% restoration (interior brakes exhaust, engine). Still has original paint and farm dents from Indy. No Cancer. See picture.

Then, I bought a non running sitting in a field for 10 years complete unrestored 49 which sits in my driveway half torn down. Should take about 3 to 5 years depending on my cash flow.

When I get fustrated or out of cash I go take a ride in the running truck.
Attached Images

pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #35
4DSEVEN

I'm going on my 3rd year now and plan to have it on the road this spring. Or close to...

The problem I find, is remembering where I left the damn parts and also remembering which parts I have already purchased.
4DSEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #36
candyx

Mine took a year and i thought it was time consuming,every weekend and late nites.But its a downer when your all done because its like something is missing even though you have a driver.So i would say take your time and enjoy the work and the fabrication because it beats laying on the couch watching tv where i find myself again !!!!!
candyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #37
woodwright
Enjoying left field

I just came in from the garage frustrated because things are taking so long. This thread was about the best one I've came across in a while. 3+ years??? Makes me feel better about my progress. I just really want it to be done. But I'm trying to build it to last as a daily driver in an area where they salt the roads in the winter.

Am I the only one that goes out in the garage and just stares at my project, not sure of what to do? Drives me nuts. Some times I'll stand there for half an hour.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #38
BuiltwithIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwright View Post
I just came in from the garage frustrated because things are taking so long. This thread was about the best one I've came across in a while. 3+ years??? Makes me feel better about my progress. I just really want it to be done. But I'm trying to build it to last as a daily driver in an area where they salt the roads in the winter.

Am I the only one that goes out in the garage and just stares at my project, not sure of what to do? Drives me nuts. Some times I'll stand there for half an hour.
I like to spend my hard-earned time(aka when I am at work) making lists of things to do, kills two birds with one stone
"To speak of the art of one loom, the art of one river, the art of one tractor, or the art of one automobile is not preposterous; it is to point to the size and importance of the gap between general knowledge and situated knowledge" - James C. Scott
1969 C10 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492064
1930 Tudor Sedan
BuiltwithIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #39
rollinrooster

Quote:

Its funny because i just came in from a stare session with mine.
rollinrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #40
TX58

Thanks for all the advice and wisdom, I know its a labor of love. I had a set back today, the doors turned out to be worst than I thought and need a lot of work. Thinking about hunting a pair down instead of fixing these. So I left them alone and started putting my engine together at least what I could. The oil pan turned out to be too dented to put on this nice engine. I will have to order a new pan soon. Even though I hit a few dead ends today it wasn't all bad, it was a beautiful day to be around the shop. My brother even showed up and checked out my progress, he's been given only months to live due to severe liver damage. Made me think, here I am *****ing about getting this truck done and here's my brother that probably wishes he could be doing something like this and live to see it finished. Now let's take our time and build this truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
TX58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #41
shadow1967

Well TX58,
I'm 4 years in and have not turned the wrench on the thing. have bought many parts. But only finished the remodel of the house early December. But I cleared out the wood scraps and all the remaining hardware an metal strapping today. I can actually get 2 cars in a 3 car garage. i have to cut some 2010 camaro part off a car next weekend. And the games start weekend after that. My goal is to be running and primed for Pismo on June 15.
shadow1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #42
B_Hix

Quote:

No, your not alone, lol....
Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #43
whid

Quote:

one thing that helps me kinda stay on track (if thats possible)is making lists of things that need done...i'll take a sheet of cardboard list stuff to do no matter how small ,even if its just tightening a bolt...when i complete that job ....mark it off.....surprising how much stuff can get done when you just have to pick something...that being said...i bought my truck as someone elses abandoned project in 1994....i finally have a rolling chassis....went thru a divorce....a remarriage and a small business venture with the wife...didnt touch the truck for nine yrs...i'm hoping to get it done one day....body work is hopefully starting this spring.......whid
whid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #44
_Ogre

Quote:
maybe you need to change your name to metalright

i worked construction most of my life. i have built homes, skyscrapers and football field sized machines (and lots of small stuff too).
i think the major problem a lot of people have is they see a big project as just that, a big project.
break every big job into smaller jobs, and that into smaller jobs, and then into smaller jobs.
complete a small job as a unit, series of smaller units into a bigger unit and so on until the project is done.

don't look at your truck as a truck, it's a series of parts/units.
don't be looking at your gutters while working on your brakes.

while i don't usually clean up everytime, a clean shop is easier to work in than some of the project areas i've seen posted.

and take ample beer breaks

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #45
B_Hix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
Both cab side and door side. Once the doors are aligned, drill a 1/8" "locator" hole through each hinge and hinge pillar, and through each hinge and door (8 holes total). When it comes time to put the truck back together, you start all the bolts, stick a 1/8" drill thru each hole, tighten all the bolts and your door is re-aligned!
ya kno - I'm just an average joe - I have never had an autobody class and pretty much have learned what I know (which isnt much) by reading and doing.... In essence I'm a shade-tree mechanic that dont know his limits

That said, where the HECK were you with this pointer three years ago when I put my doors back on my cab, by myself without a door stand! lol....sigh

Makes perfect sense, lol - noted for the future!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #46
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hix View Post
ya kno - I'm just an average joe - I have never had an autobody class and pretty much have learned what I know (which isnt much) by reading and doing.... In essence I'm a shade-tree mechanic that dont know his limits

That said, where the HECK were you with this pointer three years ago when I put my doors back on my cab, by myself without a door stand! lol....sigh

Makes perfect sense, lol - noted for the future!
I'm like you -- my Momma didn't send me to no classes either. Somewhere around 1980 somebody in my '55-'57 Chevy club told me about it (probably Wade Hughes of "Ohio Flames" fame).
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #47
pvienneau

CandyX is so right. I had to buy a truck I could take apart to get my a$$ of the couch.
pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #48
wrwelton

I average about 2 years. I try to accomplish at least one thing every day. I finished my 32 ford dump truck about 1 1/2 years ago and should finish my 72 this spring. It is a lot of fun and it also matters how much work is done by others. I did all of mine except the painting. That ate up 2 months at body shop. If you are not in a hurry , then take your time. I'm not happy unless I have some project in the works.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #49
Wvgearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileortho View Post
6 years + for me. It takes time and money. I've got more time than money!!
I know all about that! I am 2 years on my 53. Just like last year, I am saying mine will be on the road this summer!
Wvgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #50
robnolimit

I'll chip in from a different view point. A section of or business is what we call 'The Custom Shop' where we work on, maintain, and build customer projects. It is a well outfitted 4000 ft section. By far the most common car/truck in the custom shop is a 'Take-over' project. And the story is usually the same. " .. for about 6 or 10 years this has been in 3 to 5 shops, and my garage. I have lost over 2 to 10 thousand to shifty operators, and I just want to get it done right...." This is sad. Many of these projects were not realistic on day 1, and now some of the plan is outdated, or out of style. On most, wheels, tires, and body work came first, and later when it came down to plumbing, wiring, cooling.... the project stopped. We have an unlimited supply of customers with this story, and while it keeps us busy, it's not good for the customer or the hobby. I'd rather do new builds. Plan a project that you can finish and drive in three years os less. Then tinker with it, and add to it. Drive may not mean finished. If wiring and plumbing aren't your thing, find a professional and pay then to do it right. F.Y.I. - complete brake line plumbing , with valving and sst flex hoses, installed and pressure tested, in our shop runs $800 to $1200. Complete wiringis usually in the $1500 to $1800 range, parts/labor incl. Just for referance. The world would be a better place if we were driving our projects a bit more, and using them as a shelf in the garage a bit less.

P.S. I am guilty of a garage obsticle myself, just sayin'.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote