The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #26
crites_72

Re: Hardwood over a steel bed?

details on the plywood with strips would be great
Old 08-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #27
howard_m18

I'm still tossing up what to do with my steel bed as I"m looking at a wood bed also. I was at the Woodward Dream Cruise this past weekend & saw a couple of trucks that had wood beds. The interesting part was the strips were painted to match the rest of the truck. Very different.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #28
SCOTI

Dusting an old one off.....

Anyone done something like the 'Show Deck' on a budget approach? I have a modified steel floor from a previous project that I could use (recycle?) for my 64. I would prefer a wood floor for the 64 which got me to thinking about using the steel floor as the raised bed-floor framework & dropping a faux wood floor over it for simplicity.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:23 AM   #29
BRL

My original '69 stepside bed was all rotted out with badly rusted carbon steel strips.

I used a sheet of 3/4"X4' x8' marine plywood cut to fit and painted, with stainless strips just laid on top for looks.

Didn't have to use those cross-sill bars, (whatever they're actually called) because there are no individual strips, making a light bed even lighter.

...lots of fun when you floor it!

It's held up quite well over the years, and is plenty strong for hauling quads. etc.

The two little hide-a-hook clamps with flip up cleats are for wrapping straps around quad axles and I put Eye Bolts in, also fro strapping down quads. for a very secure hold.

...oh sorry, should have read the title of this thread more carefully, there is no steel under my wood bed.

Last edited by BRL; 08-31-2020 at 02:31 AM.
BRL is offline   Reply With Quote