The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #26
CMA Vulcan

Re: Project 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Man you work fast, That looks great!
Thanks man I have a deadline and it is going to be tough to make it. We are trying to get it done for my son's birthday. Wish me luck LOL.

Check out our 69 build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=528209
CMA Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #27
CMA Vulcan

I love this forum. It supplies so much information and has many people that are willing to help. The one thing I have experienced is that some of it is hard to find. I have read a lot of posts trying to find stuff but the cool thing is I have learned a lot and have got to know a lot of cool people. Well at least I feel like I know them. lol I have seen some master pieces.
Someone asked about the serpentine system and I will add it to my thread. Most of this info I got of this forum here a little and there a little.
I am not a professional mechanic so if I make a mistake just let me know and I will correct it. As far as I could tell most full size Chevrolet trucks from early 90s to 97 or 98 are close to the same on the front of the engine with a 5.7 or 4.3. I have a 94 w/4.3 so I could refer to it. If you don't have one, find one and take a picture to refer to. Later models may work too but I wanted the a/c on the passenger side as original, after 98 or 99 it moved to the other side.
I used:
1. A/C bracket(couldn't find compressor in junk yard)
2. alternator bracket (I'm using my old alternator so no wire changes)
this bracket has the power steering pump and if you need to remove it it takes a special tool. I used part store loaner.
3. new water pump use year you get brackets from(has to be reverse rotation it runs on back of belt)
4. crank pulley
5. water pump pulley
6. belt tension-er

I think that is it.
Other members had trouble getting the top radiator hose to work. I have not gotten that far yet so we will see. Someone bent a wire the shape you need and go to the part store and look for what you need. I have found that you will become friends with the parts guy.( or he will hate to see you coming. LOL)
I do not know if the 400 sbc has the same bolt pattern or not but if the parts do not work some wrecking yards take parts back.
Good luck I hope this helps. If you need more info just let me know.

Check out our 69 build.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #28
orange 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA Vulcan View Post
I love this forum. It supplies so much information and has many people that are willing to help. The one thing I have experienced is that some of it is hard to find. I have read a lot of posts trying to find stuff but the cool thing is I have learned a lot and have got to know a lot of cool people. Well at least I feel like I know them. lol I have seen some master pieces.
Someone asked about the serpentine system and I will add it to my thread. Most of this info I got of this forum here a little and there a little.
I am not a professional mechanic so if I make a mistake just let me know and I will correct it. As far as I could tell most full size Chevrolet trucks from early 90s to 97 or 98 are close to the same on the front of the engine with a 5.7 or 4.3. I have a 94 w/4.3 so I could refer to it. If you don't have one, find one and take a picture to refer to. Later models may work too but I wanted the a/c on the passenger side as original, after 98 or 99 it moved to the other side.
I used:
1. A/C bracket(couldn't find compressor in junk yard)
2. alternator bracket (I'm using my old alternator so no wire changes)
this bracket has the power steering pump and if you need to remove it it takes a special tool. I used part store loaner.
3. new water pump use year you get brackets from(has to be reverse rotation it runs on back of belt)
4. crank pulley
5. water pump pulley
6. belt tension-er

I think that is it.
Other members had trouble getting the top radiator hose to work. I have not gotten that far yet so we will see. Someone bent a wire the shape you need and go to the part store and look for what you need. I have found that you will become friends with the parts guy.( or he will hate to see you coming. LOL)
I do not know if the 400 sbc has the same bolt pattern or not but if the parts do not work some wrecking yards take parts back.
Good luck I hope this helps. If you need more info just let me know.
Thanks for the info! I am the one with the SB400, I will do some checking and get to work! Thanks again!
Good luck with the DEADLINE!!!!!
I hope you make it but even if you don't......you will be the COOLEST dad when you are done
Old 06-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #29
CMA Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange 69 View Post
Thanks for the info! I am the one with the SB400, I will do some checking and get to work! Thanks again!
Good luck with the DEADLINE!!!!!
I hope you make it but even if you don't......you will be the COOLEST dad when you are done
Thanks

One thing I came across is that the passenger side head only has one hole instead of two like the other side. The double hole is on the back mirriored from the other side. Some drill and tap a hole but I did not because I used one hole beside feul pump, the outside head hole and a round bar bracket that goes from behind the tensioner to the corner intake bolt. I figured this would be rigid enough. I guess we will see. Good luck, I hope it works on the sb400.

Check out our 69 build.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #30
orange 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA Vulcan View Post
Thanks

One thing I came across is that the passenger side head only has one hole instead of two like the other side. The double hole is on the back mirriored from the other side. Some drill and tap a hole but I did not because I used one hole beside feul pump, the outside head hole and a round bar bracket that goes from behind the tensioner to the corner intake bolt. I figured this would be rigid enough. I guess we will see. Good luck, I hope it works on the sb400.
I think it will work out just fine.
Thanks Again!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #31
CMA Vulcan

Well its on to the body now. Just a little left on the frame and engine, few bolts here and there. We are doing the cab first. It has a few problem areas.
Mainly the wire gutter is rusted. When I bought the truck I was told that the only rust was in the inner finder. When I was tearing it down I found this and was going to just put some plastic wire covering on it and call it done but the more I thought about the less I liked just putting a band-aid on it.
Attached Images

Check out our 69 build.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #32
CMA Vulcan

I almost didn't put this part on the forum for a couple of reasons.

First, l was not sure if I could pull it off because I am not a welder or fabricator. I have a small wire/flux (no gas) welder and and have used it only twice and that is the extent of my welding. It was on small square tubing in my recliner going to the handle.

Second, I have looked at some of the fabrication on this forum and WOW!! You guys are awesome and I was a little embarrassed to put my work out there for everyone to see. LOL

But after thinking about it I decided there may be others out there that are intimidated by the thought of tackling something like this. So for other amateurs like myself, here it goes. Remember I am not a welder and this is the first time I have welded a bead more that a 1/4" long. This is with Harbor Freight welder without gas for under $100.00 that I got several years ago because I wanted to learn to weld.

Check out our 69 build.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #33
CMA Vulcan

Ok enough with the book writing.lol

I used a grinding wheel to remove the bad parts of the lip and after pondering a plan of attack jumped in with both feet.

At first I only wanted to keep it as simple as possible. I ground it from the center in a straight line in both directions. Not following the pattern of the firewall gutter because I figured this would be easier. When I got to the end on driver side I went around the corner with angles and not curves.

My welding looks like crap but with a lot of grinding I think it will work, some filler and it will look good.(I hope )
Figured if I let beginners see it they would understand it can look good after some grinding. I work with wood and wood filler, putty and Bondo are easy to sand, but metal, dude it takes a lot longer to remove it than it does to put in on. A whole lot of grinding and I ground my knuckles on both index fingers so be careful!!!
Attached Images

Check out our 69 build.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #34
CMA Vulcan

Well like I said my welding leaves a lot to be desired.

When I got to the passenger side there was no easy way so I got creative. The sad part is it will be all covered up by a/c box on this side but I will know it is under there. lol

After doing the lower part I was shocked at how good it turned out and then fabricated one for the top corner. Then ran out of mig wire. So off to to the store tomorrow.

More to come when I get new wire.
Attached Images

Check out our 69 build.