The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2022, 01:07 PM   #26
Grumpy old man

Re: New Aftermarket Cabs

Is it EDP coated or is that epoxy primer ?

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:18 PM   #27
indymachinist

I’d bet 99.9% of these will be titled by sticking the vin plate from a rusty old cab onto the new cab and not telling the state.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:53 PM   #28
mkmc69

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymachinist View Post
I’d bet 99.9% of these will be titled by sticking the vin plate from a rusty old cab onto the new cab and not telling the state.
X2 on that! I wouldn't!
mkmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:35 PM   #29
NJ68stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I have noooo idea. Way above my pay grade.

But it sure doesn’t look like the EDP. Looks like a primer to me.

Previous cars:
1973 mustang convertible
2003 mustang Mach 1
Now building resto mod 68 C10 step
NJ68stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:02 PM   #30
NJ68stepside

Quote:
It's cool and no rust is great it's your truck build it any way you want looks like a great way to start a custom build ... But I'd be checking with NJ DMV on how your going to title it ? You just may end up with a NJ state issued 2022 vin ?
All I found in NJ Regulations mentioned it's against the law to alter or move VIN tag if you have criminal motives.

Nj still has state yearly inspections don't they ?
every other year until the car is 20+ years, then no inspections

I'd like to see how the doors and glass fit and I see a ton of body work that still has to be done ,
Now that it's mostly all here, I'll start a build thread

I don't see the toe panel braces installed ,I'm not sure they are reproduced ? And the drivers door jam has a dimple like you would see on the passengers side to hold the jack retention spring .
hmmm good points, I still have to old cab here, so I'll check it out

Are you planning to use all reproduction parts or do you have a bed and front end already ?
all Re-pop there wasn't much to save. It had a newer late 80's style bed on it, so I got the Bed from Mar-K. I bought this without much knowledge about these trucks, only knew what I wanted the end result to be. If I did it again. I'd buy the biggest POS and start from there.

Are you doing all the build body work and paint or sending it out to a shop ?
going to a shop for paint. I'm going to assemble it, check for fit, make modifications then take it all apart again and send out for paint in pieces.

I'm interested in the whole process you'll have to go thru to avoid some rust repair . I just think using all reproduction parts you will lose some of the "Mystique value" of rebuilding a 50 year old classic truck and bringing it back to show quality to end up with a 2022 clone ? Just my opinion that and a $1 will get you a cup of coffee . Good luck I can't wait to see the finished project .
agree, it won't be a restored vehicle. 95% of the people out there won't even ask. Here in the NE, all the classic cars are total rust buckets. My intention with this build is to make a fun daily driver for the sunny days. I do a bit of driving for my work and hate pulling up in my Audi to project sites or to meet new clients. They judge me as an a-hole before I get out of the car. AT Least let me speak 1st!! meanwhile, their F350 Platinum is more $$ than my A6.

Friend of a friend, that owns a restoration shop has used Dynacorn before and has used bodies from them. He said the Re-pop has come a long way. but it's Dynacorn or AMD to buy from. Dynacorn is building a C10 now at their california shop. All Re-pop to showcase their work and have done a few other cars like that too that are in the showroom.

Previous cars:
1973 mustang convertible
2003 mustang Mach 1

Last edited by NJ68stepside; 05-02-2022 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:45 PM   #31
toolboxchev

Quote:
Noticed some stuff in the video, like no seam sealer in the back cab corners, I could be wrong.

Would also be trying to figure out if they dip or spray? Thats a big one in the Salt States.

Great to see your video NJ68 I was hoping someone would be doing one right now and you came through. Let us know how it goes. I just want to get to done also and as much as I love seeing something old get clean and shiny it is a s@#* ton of work to do a entire cab.

Keep us posted, I am sure many are wishing to see the final outcome and all the details.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:58 PM   #32
cj847

I didn't see any seem sealer anywhere. Even the drip rail. Which is OK, I just never thought about it being just the iron and primer. Definitely need to review the old cab to make sure you seal it correctly. I can think of:

-upper and lower where the A pillar meets the roof and the firewall.
-left and right inside firewall to everything: kick panels, floors, trans tunnel.
-driprail
-back of cab to floor
- the one I'm worried about, the upper side of the lower cowl (I don't think it can be done)
I'm sure there are others I am missing.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:24 PM   #33
LS short box

In regards to the vin in MN they have a process for assigning vin numbers to scratch built vehicles. Couple of buddies of mine have built street rods, aftermarket bodies and frames.
They went down to DMV and the DMV had clear guide lines on how to document all parts purchased. When the cars had most of the parts in hand the DMV wanted pics. Then they assigned a vin. Come to find out the DMV was really looking for was stolen parts and the pics were to determine a value of the car to figure out the cars worth for tabs.
I would do it the right way per your local DMV.
If you were to sell it in the future as a buyer I would want all that paper work with the truck.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:22 AM   #34
1moretruck

[quote=Grumpy old man;9074170] I don't see the toe panel braces installed ,I'm not sure they are reproduced ?

the floor to firewall braces are reproduced Key parts 0849-317 and 0849-318
1985 M1008
1986 M1008
2020 2500HD Duramax
1moretruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:37 AM   #35
Captain X

Wished I could afford one of these - having a hard time finding an original one that isn't rotted out along the bottom, not to mention holes punched through the roof for a CB radio antenna.
Captain X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 04:55 PM   #36
NJ68stepside

Did a better look at it.

It is Regular primer sprayed on. They did a pretty good job covering it. Even in the cowl and vents.

No seam sealer. Which is a good thing. Imagine if you’re going to modify it and then have to mess around with that. Plus I’d want to further paint/preventative coat pieces before I get it to sealer and final paint. I’ll ask my body shop for direction on this stuff.

Previous cars:
1973 mustang convertible
2003 mustang Mach 1
Old 05-03-2022, 05:44 PM   #37
tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain X View Post
Wished I could afford one of these - having a hard time finding an original one that isn't rotted out along the bottom, not to mention holes punched through the roof for a CB radio antenna.

I had to laugh when I read your cb radio comment. I think from about the mid 70s to the middle 80s, that was the thing to do. Sometimes they would clamp them the rear view mirrors or Ive even seen them clamping the antennas to the rain gutter.
These things were just trucks to most folks. Parked outside, hardly ever washed off, driven in salt and cinders, left with a bed full of stuff, hardly ever re-seam sealed. If the paint wore off, who cares, you could pick up a decent longbed (67-72) in 1979 for 6-800 bucks. This new repop cab will save a lot of work for a lot of people. Im glad to see it.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:11 PM   #38
zosoppp

Quote:
It's cool and no rust is great it's your truck build it any way you want looks like a great way to start a custom build ... But I'd be checking with NJ DMV on how your going to title it ? You just may end up with a NJ state issued 2022 vin ? Nj still has state yearly inspections don't they ? I'd like to see how the doors and glass fit and I see a ton of body work that still has to be done , I don't see the toe panel braces installed ,I'm not sure they are reproduced ? And the drivers door jam has a dimple like you would see on the passengers side to hold the jack retention spring . Are you planning to use all reproduction parts or do you have a bed and front end already ? Are you doing all the build body work and paint or sending it out to a shop ? I'm interested in the whole process you'll have to go thru to avoid some rust repair . I just think using all reproduction parts you will lose some of the "Mystique value" of rebuilding a 50 year old classic truck and bringing it back to show quality to end up with a 2022 clone ? Just my opinion that and a $1 will get you a cup of coffee . Good luck I can't wait to see the finished project .

NJ no longer does safety inspections on passenger vehicles and no emissions testing on anything pre ODBC-II (~1995).

I don't think that they have ever looked at the VIN tags on anything I've had inspected, however nothing I have should have any issues that way.

My '70 C10 did pass safety and emission inspection back in 2014 for two years.
IIRC when it was due again in 2016 they didn't want to see the truck for either inspection anymore.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:07 AM   #39
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ68stepside View Post
Did a better look at it.

It is Regular primer sprayed on. They did a pretty good job covering it. Even in the cowl and vents.

No seam sealer. Which is a good thing. Imagine if you’re going to modify it and then have to mess around with that. Plus I’d want to further paint/preventative coat pieces before I get it to sealer and final paint. I’ll ask my body shop for direction on this stuff.
Good to know! I would want those rockers and the area in the roof coated. Randall @ Rtech Fab peels the roof skin and put some type of dyna mat product in the roof with a new outer skin when he rebuilds a custom 4 door cab. That guy knows his stuff.

I would also be very concerned with the cowl area. There is actual 3 cowl pieces. You see 2 on your cab and then the body cowl. Those lower seams in the windsheild area are where I have the most problems now on a 50 year truck.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote