The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2020, 10:27 PM   #26
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Re: Any farmers / tractor people here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
With a $10,000.00 budget you can buy a nice early 90's John Deere 855 or a 955 with around 2,000 hrs on it 4x4, diesel, loader, hydro drive with either a bush hog or under belly mower . These were famous for there heavy frame and built to work . The 855 are 24 hp and the 955 are 30 hp . My 855 has foam filled front tires and the rears are filled with beet juice for traction and stability . How you plan on using it and the type of terrain makes a big difference on what to buy, In your words "being a noob to tractors" there is a lot to learn about safe handling any tractor with a loader ,ALWAYS wear a seat belt , Don't buy anything without ROPS (roll over protection) Hydro drive is much easier to run than a standard trans . With tractors SIZE MATTERS , You have to consider how your going to move it from one place to another and sooner or later it will get stuck and you'll want one that can be unstuck with a 4x4 pick up rather than a bigger tractor . I wouldn't buy a large 2 wheel drive tractor for plowing snow But that's just my opinion . Tractors with loaders and bush hogs are dangerous and learning how to drive one is a big deal.Anyone can but there are plenty of youtube video's on how NOT to run one . If I were you I'd check with the local landscape contractors on their opinions for your area they may even lead you to a good deal ? Another thought is to take that $10 K and buy a 67-72 4x4 with a plow and a decent zero turn mower ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCElLpaww4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMBHenOTbZI
I'm going to do some reading on these. My wife might just be fine with it if I spend less than $8000
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...john-deere-855

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:29 PM   #27
special-K
Special Order

My brother in law is on a tractor forum he likes and has stuck with like I've stuck with this site.

I was at a friend's today who owns a nice clean '64 JD mid-size he said he wants to sell for $3,500. I'm not sure of the model

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #28
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
My brother in law is on a tractor forum he likes and has stuck with like I've stuck with this site.
Do you know the name of the forum?

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 07-21-2020, 10:48 PM   #29
72supr

You might want to tryYesterday Tractors.Some good information on older tractors.
72supr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:20 PM   #30
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Do you know the name of the forum?
I meant to say I'll have to ask him. I think supr's suggestion might be one of them. But he also goes on contemporary tractor sites.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:08 AM   #31
burnin oil

Tractorbynet is another.

From what I have been seeing stay away from kioti tractors. Spelling could be off. The tractors are decent for cheap but the dealer network is dismal.

I have a 2wd tractor and wish it was 4x4 every time i use the old Ford. It does very good for what it is but I get tired of standing on the diff lock almost constantly. I do live in rough terrain though.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:30 AM   #32
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Tractorbynet is another.

From what I have been seeing stay away from kioti tractors. Spelling could be off. The tractors are decent for cheap but the dealer network is dismal.

I have a 2wd tractor and wish it was 4x4 every time i use the old Ford. It does very good for what it is but I get tired of standing on the diff lock almost constantly. I do live in rough terrain though.
Although I haven't been on it for a while, Tractor By Net was my go to for many years when I had the B7300 Kubota. Good little FEL and 3PH box blade and fork lift. Went to an 06 BX25 years ago with the FEL, Tiller, Sprayer and BH. That was '09. Just used it on 4th of July weekend out at the cabin.

Been a great little Sub Compact. Though it does seem like it might be on the small side for your spread..

ROPS and the belt... use them both. I went over on the BX a few yers back. Blinked and was on my side. Thank God wearing the belt otherwise would have likely been under the side.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:28 AM   #33
prairewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub2010 View Post
I have a hunting cabin on a 40 acre plot of land. Im looking for an inexpensive tractor to use for cutting grass and brush, post hole digging, driveway plowing / grading and maybe some hauling work. I will not be farming as I don't live close to this property. Im a complete noob to tractors, someone else has been keeping up the property, my turn now.

I have always liked the looks of the old Ford tractors, but im not sure they are practical for my needs. Im really looking at 10K max. What should I be looking for.
Fun thread to read, I grew up around a 50'S IH with front end bucket. that Tractor plowed our 1/4 mile long driveway in winter, pulled a drag with me sitting on drag as a little kid to smooth driveway ruts in summer, Tractor pulled tree stumps, hoisted engines out of cars, etc. But my Dad was very '' Seasoned'' around that Tractor. I am so sure he said '' Stand Back '' a lot when we helped him or watched him. . if you are new to tractors I would suggest renting something first, to see if you like it and want to buy it. then on way to your property you can think about the work you want to get done, instead of hoping your old tractor starts. .ps. if you have a 17yr old son he may siphon the gas out of
your tractor for his GTO. just sayin.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #34
1976gmc20

My inclination is towards an older, heavier tractor with a lot of horsepower over one of these smaller ones with 4wd. I've used a couple of neighbors' Kubotas and while they are easy to operate, they are relatively lightweight and will bounce if you're trying to grade a road or level ground. Usually if I get too big of a bite and the rear wheels spin, then shifting to 4wd just spins all four wheels.

Trouble is that not too long ago you could buy an older production tractor pretty cheap (as opposed to these cute little homestead tractors) but now with all the new ones having complex electronics and proprietary software, the old working size tractors are in high demand.

People ask me why? I would want a 75-100 hp tractor but when you're grading a road it's nice to have the power and weight to drag some dirt. I'm not sure that I even need a front loader anymore as you can do a lot of stuff with a 3 point grading blade.

Not sure that I'll ever get my old Case VAI & Wagner loader going again. There's nothing much wrong with it except the wheels and gas tank rusted out.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #35
Killer Bee

well there certainly is a wide spectrum of tractors out there all suited for different tasks.. plow tractors, utility tractors, yard tractors, etc.. really depends on the the individual needs as to which type is best suited for them..

plow tractors are designed to be put in a particular gear and operated steady for extended periods of time under moderate to heavy load.. they're not designed for construction work or or tasks requiring frequent gear changes or constant back and forth movement.. they do perform well with certain loader attachments used occasionally for moving hay bales or clearing barn lots, etc. but not the ideal use for them.. grader boxes and blades like we use to groom the driveway and barn floors work ok but those tasks are awkward with plow tractors..

hydrostats like the smaller yard machines used in mowers and light utility tractors are better suited for that type of work on a small scale.. biggest issue I see with hobby farmers is over tasking small machines that lack weight, stability, traction and horsepower then they're disappointed with the results..

or simply buy the proper type of construction machine and don't expect an ag tractor to work out of its design element

we've had a couple of these handy little yard machines, this older 8200 is the only one we have now and a couple of zero turn mowers..

it's great from small chores, I even chained a couple of small tree/bush root balls out with it and other things in the yard where I try not to rut the ground too bad but it really lacks the grunt of a real tractor..

got this old harvester running this month after about 10 years of sitting, tires even held air

some older pictures of my dad

Old 07-22-2020, 05:33 PM   #36
1976gmc20

^ pictures 3 and 4 of the Farmall with the 3pt grader blade is about what I'm looking for, except I think it could pull a bigger blade than that?

I mainly need to grade the driveways and plow snow. Agree that farm tractor loaders don't work very well except loose material, which is why I think I might as well do without one. If I need to excavate dirt, then I will rent/hire a skidsteer or a backhoe, etc.

But mostly we just pack down the snow by driving the entire width of our driveway instead of just two ruts. Once you start plowing, then it starts drifting full every night
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #37
LostMy65

I've only been reading up on tractors and choices maybe a couple weeks.
I'm pretty settled on buying used.
Something the size of Kubota l2501 if I was going to buy new.
What range of years is possibly the sweet spot between too old to find parts and too new? ( if there is such a thing).
Would a 1975 ford, JD, Kubota, be too old?
Would a 2000 be too new?
Just looking for thoughts.
Nostalgia would have me in an early 70's ford because my dad worked for ford tractor for years through late 60's to late 70's.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 07-22-2020, 07:11 PM   #38
Killer Bee

I don't know about tractor parts around here but in mo I found a factory cap n rotor for that 64 model E Allis at a local dealer in higginsville and factory start switch for that 6? 706 in holden.. I replaced the fan belt and starter relay in that 57 641 workmaster Ford, parts in stock local napa..

that 8200 kubota is late 80s and factory maint parts readily available at local dealer..

couple years ago I rebuilt the deck on mom's favorite zero turn about 15-20 years old I believe and local dealer had everything on hand, bearings, gears, seals, shafts to rebuild the miter boxes..

center drive gears were stripped but we don't baby our machines

I rebuilt the entire deck with extra maint items, belt, filters, etc. for less $ than they wanted for a single complete assembled miter box..

Old 07-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #39
Killer Bee

that driveway grading was last year, rained 6" on 4th of July

had to pull a LOT of gravel back up the hill, that rut was 6-12" deep towards the top of the hill..

Old 07-22-2020, 09:01 PM   #40
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Nice looking piece of ground you got there,, how far are you from the ocean ,,and is that the reason such a down pour 6 inches last 4th?
Old 07-22-2020, 09:59 PM   #41
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Nice looking piece of ground you got there,, how far are you from the ocean ,,and is that the reason such a down pour 6 inches last 4th?
thank you! been in our family since early 60s..

farm is in Lone Jack Missouri, about 10 miles from Pleasant Hill where this weather report is from..

one of the hardest rains I can remember, started about 8pm and wiped out my fireworks show

Old 07-22-2020, 10:40 PM   #42
burnin oil

pretty much any of the old tractors can get parts once you learn where to look. My dad had an N model ford and we had catalogs like LMC for the truck. The big hard parts like an actual transmission or rear end is where you get into trouble.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:00 PM   #43
LostMy65

Grandparents
Attached Images

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 07-22-2020, 11:35 PM   #44
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Grandparents
great picture, love that belly mount sickle bar!
Old 07-23-2020, 05:55 AM   #45
prairewolf

Killer Bee, thanks for the picture of your Dad on the snowy driveway. I grew up around a life like that picture. just looking at that picture is peaceful.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #46
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

[QUOTE=cdub2010;8359173]I have a hunting cabin on a 40 acre plot of land. Im looking for an inexpensive tractor to use for cutting grass and brush, post hole digging, driveway plowing / grading and maybe some hauling work. I will not be farming as I don't live close to this property. Im a complete noob to tractors, someone else has been keeping up the property, my turn now.

Here was a great little all around Super Farm all Cub tractor with lots of impliments that you could get with it .
My brother bought one (back in 1980)for $500 with 4 or 5 impliments and then later when had his peach ,cherry and appl orchards here in Idaho it really worked well getting around the trees..
Not sure if it came with a post hole digger?
I bet there're hard to find anymore anyway ,,just sharing .. he sold his with the Orchards

Name:  437f9172b6344beaae725cd8e7d42977.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  54.3 KB
Old 07-31-2020, 09:30 PM   #47
Old Truck Man

I own about twenty tractors. I have at least one of every letter series Farmall Tractors, and a international Utility 300 and row crop 350. I own a 301 A JD industrial It is the best driving and handling tractor I own. Power steering and brakes with a mid mount sycle bar mower.& a Half Cab. I had a Dong Feng 354 4 wheel drive diesel with a front loader I let my oldest son have it. It does a good job brushogging and the loader is very handy. I bought it for $1500.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:42 PM   #48
Old Truck Man

[quote=GOPAPA;8780365]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub2010 View Post
I have a hunting cabin on a 40 acre plot of land. Im looking for an inexpensive tractor to use for cutting grass and brush, post hole digging, driveway plowing / grading and maybe some hauling work. I will not be farming as I don't live close to this property. Im a complete noob to tractors, someone else has been keeping up the property, my turn now.

Here was a great little all around Super Farm all Cub tractor with lots of impliments that you could get with it .
My brother bought one (back in 1980)for $500 with 4 or 5 impliments and then later when had his peach ,cherry and appl orchards here in Idaho it really worked well getting around the trees..
Not sure if it came with a post hole digger?
I bet there're hard to find anymore anyway ,,just sharing .. he sold his with the Orchards

Attachment 2035001
I owned one of those cubs with a half dozen attachments. It was too underpowered to suit me and I sold it. I have a super A with the engine from a 200 that has oversize sleeves & pistons with a 59 inch woods belly mower. Plenty of HP.
Attached Images

Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #49
Bigdav160

Let's hope the OP found his tractor (2 years later)

Since this thread started I purchased 13 acres and bought a Yanmar EX3200 compact tractor (used). It works well enough for what I do. But tractors seem to be like a swiss army knife. They can do a lot of things but not necessarily as well as a specialized machine.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #50
LostMy65

I really like the simplicity of the old Ford N series. Lots of aftermarket support. Easy to work on.
And there's nostalgia with us having one growing up.

66 C20 Service Truck: