The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2003, 10:45 PM   #26
Chevyguy111786

I was lookin for my first truck back in december of 02 and found a 70 lwb. went to look at it and fell in love. it was the right price so i bought it and have since gotten 2 more. I'm only 16, if this trend continues......
Chevyguy111786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:16 PM   #27
bcountry

It was grandpas truck and for helping shingle his house i received the truck for my 16th birthday my first vechile. 1970 C/20 LONGBED STEPSIDE
1974 oldsmobile cutlass supreme
bcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:41 PM   #28
GMC71k20

theres a guy around here with a orange and white custom camper with a 402, ever year he would spin the tires till they popped at a car show. then we met a friend from the town over with a sweet 71 GMC on 35s and he rambled off a list of similar trucks for sale and the first one we looked at i had to have.
GMC71k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:29 AM   #29
krazy_texan

my love for these started when i moved back from south korea, i had to sell my 65 with factory air and 4x4 before moving over there and when i moved back i was looking for a good daily driver and i found a 71 custom/20 up the road for 3500 so i bought it, didnt like it verky much when i got it but it has grown on me but i still favor the 60-66 models
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:46 AM   #30
krue
Designated A-hole!

When I turned 15 (oh those many years ago) I asked my Pop for a vehicle and he got me a JOB. Then he told me if I could fix his '69 C10 swb stepside I could have it! A clutch and a water pump later I was on the road!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 01:53 AM   #31
SEVEND2

Well when i was 15/16 I got my licence to destroy the roads, my parents gave me the old fam work truck, 72 custom 10 LB. it was too hard for my mom to drive since it had no Power steering and my dad dont drive. So it need help getting rust from sitting and needed a Starter and some wiring done from animals munching on them. well my ohter choice was to buy my own.. that wasn't going to happen on the money i made from my JOB ($3.25 a hour). so i did what i culd and drove the hell out of it. well it broke down and not having money or any knowlege of engines. it sat for years. i got a gob after high scholl and met my good buddy who had a 71 camaro and he inspired me to get it going. so i have been on it since, and I love the rounded body styles, it kinda flows, nothing ridged, and hmmm a 350 to boot, wood bed. MAN i want to work on it some more!!!!!

sorry drifted from the topic there for a sec in the story!! :-D

Progress on truck so far (follow link):
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=51051

and stage 2

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=58132

~ "Why couldn't you have just put the bunny back in the box?" ~
SEVEND2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 02:23 AM   #32
1969 GMC

My dad has had a truck for as long as I can remember. I was delivered home from the hospital in his late 70's GMC C2500, and before that, he owned a 72 El Camino, and an early 70's Ford F-100. When I was about 8 he got an early 80's plain jane C10 with the 250/4 speed. After that, he got a '74 International 200 flatbed, turd brown with a white roof and big ol west coast mirrors. I learned stick in it, and grew to love Internationals helping him tinker around with it. When it came time for me to get a new vehicle after my Olds bit the big one, I decided it was time for a truck, no more foolin with cars for now, since I have always liked 4x4's. I looked everywhere, for about a year, for any and all old 4x4 stick shift trucks for sale. Since Internationals have worse rust issues than about anything else, finding a safe one around here was next to impossible. I found quite a few cool old 4x4's for sale, but all were either too far away, or too expensive. Came very close to getting a '56 GMC Napco on eBay, but it slipped away...but some day, I will get one...I love the '56 grille. Then I found a 1969 GMC on eBay, for a very reasonable price...but it was in Minnesota! Road trip!
And here we are...I love my truck to death. I wish I had money so I could start to make her look better, but it will happen some day.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 11:45 AM   #33
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Mine was set in motion two times over back in the '70s, before I was even born...

My grandpa on my mom's side was a die-hard GMC man. Living on a farm and doing decently well, he'd buy a new truck every few years and it would be the 'town truck' until it was replaced with a newer one, whereupon the old one would become one of the work trucks...anyway, he'd bought a '68 GMC, notable for its distinct lack of chrome and the 305V6 under the hood. My mom's just-older brother rolled it over "swerving to avoid a dog". It was repaired, but seeing as from what I know he never liked 'repaired' vehicles, grandpa sold it. I can only assume this much, but I believe fairly shortly after it was rolled in October of '70, my grandpa went down to Hendrie GMC in Coolidge and bought what was probably the cheapest truck on the lot with the options he needed - air conditioning, a nice engine (350 4bbl), power steering, and power brakes. It also had leaf springs, a 3.73 rear, and a 3-speed column-shifter! The fact that it was a drum truck still on the lot in October 1970 and had a column-stick probably made it a damn good deal.

Of course, because of those, everyone hated it. Strangely, nobody seems to have bad memories of the '68's brakes, or anything prior... But the main source of trouble was the nasty linkage for the 3-speed. My mom got it as her truck when she moved out in '73; grandpa bought a green '73 GMC and my '70 was spared the grunt work on the farm.

On the other side of the family...that same year, my dad traded his 1968 Firebird (400, 4 speed, and one-legger; 15-second quarters with triple-digit trap speeds!!!) in on a new 1973 Camaro RS/LT/Z28, with the early-style splitbumper grille, a 350/4bbl, 4-speed, air...a damn nice second-gen.

One, two, skip a few...somewhere along the line, my dad sold the '73 Camaro to someone here in Tucson...skip some more, 1983, I finally come into the picture...

1989 or so, my dad decides to give the old truck some freshening. Because of where it's been parked, it's got some nasty rust on the right side (neighbor's sprinklers) so that got patched up. Some of the mechanicals were taken care of (new cam, four new exhaust valves, water pump, blower motor, alternator), it got a nice new coat of paint, a freshly reupholstered original bench, some new freon, and some late '80s 4x4 rims with new Radial T/A's on them.

It then sat again for 9 years in the sun. Goodbye paint, seat, and tires...meanwhile, it's time for me to restore a vehicle. My dad starts trying to get a hold of the guy who he sold the '73 to...because he knew the car had been sitting for a long time...when we found him, he'd sold the car four months earlier. So I started working on the truck...
Old 06-21-2003, 12:29 PM   #34
6T9GMC

DREAMIN!!

MY FATHER-IN-LAW HAD THIS TRUCK SINCE I THINK 1983. HE IS INTO OLD CARS. HE HAS A 1961 FORD STARLINER THAT HAS A LOT OF CUSTOM STUFF DONE TO IT...SOME FRENCHING, SHAVING, ETC. HE BOUGHT THIS TRUCK AFTER SEARCHING AND SEARCHING FOR ONE WITH LITTLE RUST AND HAD BIG PLANS FOR IT. HE DID A LITTLE TO IT AND USED TO DRIVE IT DAILY, THEN HIS HEALTH WENT DOWN A LITTLE AND HE PARKED IT.

I WAS KIDDING HIM ABOUT SELLING IT, I HAD ASKED HIM BEFORE (ALONG WITH OTHER PEOPLE) AND HE ALWAYS SAID "IT WASN'T FOR SALE!" THIS TIME HE SAID HE WOULD SELL IT. I ABOUT FELL OVER. ANYWAY, I JUST SOLD MY 01 MUSTANG GT AND WANTED TO BUILD SOMETHING FAST...TRUCK FAST. I BOUGHT IT AND PROMISED THAT THE FAMILY WOULD GET FIRST CHANCE IF I EVER WENT TO SELL IT. SO HERE I AM. I PUT THE BED ON AND PLAN TO DO SOME OTHER COOL STUFF THAT HE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO TO IT, BUT NEVER GOT A CHANCE TO. PLANS ARE A 4"-6" DROP, SOME COOL WHEELS, SHAVE IT, ARCH THE REAR WHEEL WELLS, AND BUILD A HEALTHY POWER PLANT.

SORRY ABOUT THE ONG VERSION LOL
CHRIS

Last edited by 6T9GMC; 06-21-2003 at 12:34 PM.
6T9GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:35 PM   #35
Pardue'sCustoms
Account Suspended

Well for me my dad and brothers all ways had chevelle and camaro when i was growing up so when i got 16 i bought a 68 chevelle ss it had the roll up tach and all but when i turned 18 in 1985 my dad bought a 72 cheyenne super and i drove that truck for about 5 years and dad park it and it sat for about 8 years and i found me a 71 lwb 4x4 and kept it for about 10 years and sold it then my brother got dads old 72 truck out and got me to start restore it and the bug bite me again so thats when i found my big block truck now i own 4 of them
Pardue'sCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 06:36 PM   #36
theo70
COMING SOON...

Re: Sweet sub

Quote:
Originally posted by cojnit
[B]I have probably 20 or so pictures of that sub. even made a desktop wallpaper for myself. I am in damn love with the thing. I have also saved write ups and misc other things I have found about it.

I will try to post some pictures on my website. [
/B]
Did you happen to see the write-up in Lowrider Magazine? The owner says something to the effect of Subs of that generation aren't the most attractive things to look at.
theo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 07:19 PM   #37
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

had one years ago and loved it my son got me into fixing the 76 for him so i decided im gonna build me a 72 figure who deserves one more than me?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 07:42 PM   #38
Pilgrim

Bought a 72 medium green C10 305 3 speed fleetside long bed in 1972 for $2525 new. Restored and painted it 6 years ago. Four years ago a kid in a square hole chevy pickup hit me head on and totaled both. I'm still looking for him. Already had a short stepside 69 with 250 with 17500 miles waiting in the barn. It had been an army vehicle then forest service then firetruck. Got it restored and on the road. Best driver of the bunch. Found a 71 Custom 10 4wd suburban with little rust and it followed me home. Wife never did ride in it. After using it for 4 years gave it to my son who had a 72 C20 4wd with 350 and 29000 miles. The burb now has the C20 running gear and engine and is headed for the paint shop for white and blue. Meanwhile, my sone and I bought 4 70-72s off the wrecker for parts and trading. Found a 68 C20 camper special in a warehouse with 3 other long beds. Sold the 69. Restored the 68 which in now a daily driver. In process of obtaining a 68 intake manifild and qjet for the 327. I have been lucky to have a son with similar interests with a knack for finding old vehicles and a hell of an ear for tuning a carb. I like these trucks because I can sit on the battery and tune them and when the wrench drops it goes all the way to the ground instead of hiding in the plastic.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:42 PM   #39
Pilgrim

Bought a 72 medium green C10 305 3 speed fleetside long bed in 1972 for $2525 new. Restored and painted it 6 years ago. Four years ago a kid in a square hole chevy pickup hit me head on and totaled both. I'm still looking for him. Already had a short stepside 69 with 250 with 17500 miles waiting in the barn. It had been an army vehicle then forest service then firetruck. Got it restored and on the road. Best driver of the bunch. Found a 71 Custom 10 4wd suburban with little rust and it followed me home. Wife never did ride in it. After using it for 4 years gave it to my son who had a 72 C20 4wd with 350 and 29000 miles. The burb now has the C20 running gear and engine and is headed for the paint shop for white and blue. Meanwhile, my sone and I bought 4 70-72s off the wrecker for parts and trading. Found a 68 C20 camper special in a warehouse with 3 other long beds. Sold the 69. Restored the 68 which in now a daily driver. In process of obtaining a 68 intake manifild and qjet for the 327. I have been lucky to have a son with similar interests with a knack for finding old vehicles and a hell of an ear for tuning a carb. I like these trucks because I can sit on the battery and tune them and when the wrench drops it goes all the way to the ground instead of hiding in the plastic.