The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #26
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Re: Demon VS Holley

Well, the original reason i was going to suggest against bg's was because numerous reports of people opening up a new carb to find shavings throughout the casting, as if it was never properly cleaned before assembly. Plus, the guys above informing me they are out of business now. The four corner idle ive heard from alot of guys was a neat feature, and my cousin runs a750 one on his 383 malibu and likes it. Same animal different name, like comparing GMC to Chevrolet.

(quiet down you four eyes, haha!)

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums

Last edited by Walts_restoration; 02-28-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #27
codydubb

234 244 duration on the cam, the pistions are flat top single eyebrow style i dont remember the CC of them i got the bottom end already assembled for a good deal since the block we build spun number 2 rod bearing the first build and rod bearing 4 on the second build (couldnt ever figure out why) weird since it was a running engine when we tore it down personally i think it was something with the machining but the machine shop denied it and said everything met specs both times
350 .60 over iron eagle h-beam rods, sealed power high comp pistons, forged crank, vortec heads, edelbrock performer rpm vortec intake, roller rockers, .488 .510 cam 750 Demon Double Pumper, Longtube headers, Dual Flowmaster exhaust,Dual electric fans, Proform electric water pump. TCI 3500 Stall Converter th350 trans B&M shift kit 10 bolt 3.73 Detroit Locker
codydubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #28
slugish
Slugish

check out aed performance .com out of Richmond Va. Every gearhead in the world said my my 650 holley was more than enough for my warmed up 400 .
Put one of their( rebuilt Holleys on750 cfm > truck has never run better . I recommend you read their article . This is their main business with lots of experience with matching carbs to what you got as far as heads , cam specs , compression etc. Summitt Has just started selling some of their carbs --Ithink > maybe Jegs ?
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #29
codydubb

Maybe i got fed a little bit of BS about the horsepower??? I havent had it on the dyno yet waiting for the weather to warm up a bit
350 .60 over iron eagle h-beam rods, sealed power high comp pistons, forged crank, vortec heads, edelbrock performer rpm vortec intake, roller rockers, .488 .510 cam 750 Demon Double Pumper, Longtube headers, Dual Flowmaster exhaust,Dual electric fans, Proform electric water pump. TCI 3500 Stall Converter th350 trans B&M shift kit 10 bolt 3.73 Detroit Locker
Old 02-28-2011, 12:41 AM   #30
cableguy0

I build hot rods for a living. We dyno every engine. Prior to now I ran a speed shop and we had a full service machine shop. We built engines everything from bone stock to 900hp naturally aspirated small blocks. I would bet money that on a legit dyno your engine is making no more than 375hp. Vortecs just dont flow on the top end and your cam is too big for vortecs in the first place. Most people who try to port vortec heads do more harm than good. Dont take me wrong Im not jumping on you on dogging your engine etc. Im just throwing out some real world experience and legit advice. A 350hp small block runs like a scalded dog. Just dont expect vortec heads to pull like a freight train past 5500rpm. They run out of flow capabilities. Yes I will say on paper that a 750 is too big but in the real world its likely the best choice. I however wouldnt have paid the extra dough for a demon. All you gotta do is go to the local drag strip. You wont find many edelbrocks or demons on serious cars. IM not saying holleys are perfect. Nothing is perfect. Any carb will require some tweaking. Most of the time the problem lies with the guy trying to do the tweaking regardless of the brand of the carb. I know some pretty serious engine builders that refuse to even touch a demon. Im talking guys that participate in the engine builders challenges etc etc.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #31
jrcaprai

Sounds like you have a nice combo there really... and I don't want to sound like I'm bashing cuz I'm not, just being realistic... Flat tops in a 350 will give you a 10.3 Compression ratio, with a 64cc head. the Vortecs flow about 220 CFM which is worth about 450 HP Max...
Take a look at this article, it is almost identical to your Combo, they also test a Holley versus a Demon...
By the way, the Shavings was a problem a long time ago, and they did clean up their act. the Demon I had was Awesome, hardly had to do any tweaking to get it running really clean... I just sold a Holley 750 DP that I couldn't get to run cleanly with My Current Combo and I ended up Buying a Pro-systems 850 CFM...
jrcaprai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #32
codydubb

sounds like i need to invest in some decent heads....
i had intended on getting a set a little while after my build, but got stuck with the Vortecs only cuz i ran outta money after building two other engines (not a happy wife) lol
i hope this demon isnt as bad as i hear but aside from finding metal shavings i havent heard why they are so bad? this carb has been ran and tuned before
(not to my application) but he said it was a good carb and just needed to sell it for a blow through carb
Old 02-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #33
codydubb

thank you jrcaprai......where is this article your speaking of
Old 02-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #34
1BadSS
NOT REALLY BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydubb View Post
sounds like i need to invest in some decent heads....
i had intended on getting a set a little while after my build, but got stuck with the Vortecs only cuz i ran outta money after building two other engines (not a happy wife) lol
i hope this demon isnt as bad as i hear but aside from finding metal shavings i havent heard why they are so bad? this carb has been ran and tuned before
(not to my application) but he said it was a good carb and just needed to sell it for a blow through carb
Some decent heads will put you where you want to be. I'm not trying to bash you, just trying to lower your expectations so you aren't let down on the Dyno.
68 C20 LWB stripper truck
73 K5 Cheyenne
76 C20 Sierra Crew SRW
88 K20 Suburban

I'm not hammering on metal just to hammer, i'm creating a piece of art.
1BadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #35
jrcaprai

Check out these heads. they are cheaper than AFR's and flow just as much with an as Cast port... your engine would really wake up with the 195cc Profilers, and Chad Speier is Awesome to work with. I have the 210cc version on my 408
http://www.speierracingheads.com/profilerecono.htm

Sorry I forgot to post the Article Duh! I'm from Boise by the way, it's good to see a fellow Idahoan online

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...est/index.html

Last edited by jrcaprai; 02-28-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #36
shortbed70

Can you say can of worms....
Quickfuels: look cool but they are hit or miss tuning wise like the old hollys
Demons: Improved holley but very picky on float level but very reliable when set and not as touchy on weather changes.

750 Is too large for a mild 350
I run a 650 speed demon on my 361 sbc
Too each its own though. Ive run several different sizes and combos on my motor and by far the demon has had the best results. I bought this thing off a shop floor covered in dirt blew it off cleaned it up and bolted it on and ran better than anything Id had on there prior.

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #37
codydubb

so i need to be looking for some 64cc 2.08 heads from what im gathering?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #38
jrcaprai

You'd do better with a 2.05 Valve, and yeah stick with the 64cc chamber, which will keep it at 10.3 Compression, just right for pump gas
Old 02-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #39
cableguy0

The afr 195's or Brodix ik series of heads are an excellent choice. Yes they are pricey but you get what you pay for. Nobody is bashing. Just throwing out some experience. Dont take it personal. The dyno breaks hearts everyday.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #40
codydubb

lol i can take a little bashing thanks for the advice fellas, ill be letting everyone know how my demon turns out im gonna at least give her a shot.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #41
jrcaprai

I still think you'll be happy with the Demon. I certainly was with mine.