The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #26
andyh1956

Re: I hate transmissions!!!!!

ok lets just say the trans is causing the problem. 1st thing is to make sure it is still bolted to the engine properly. then look at converter mounting to the flexplate. next is internal. the t400 is different than a t350 inside. it has an internal support midways in the trans, a large round piece that fits into the case snug. it is retained by a bolt through the case from under the valve body. i have seen lots of t400s broken on disassembly cause the mechanic didn't know about this bolt. if it was left out the support may spin & wear out the case & let the shaft / drum assys flop around. there would be some nice aluminum deposits there you could mine right vaway & not have to wait for this summer. the last t350 we built we bought a tq from tci & we had a bad vibration. tci sent us a new one & problem solved! let us know what you find!
andy
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #27
justinburnett

Well a little update.

She died cause the heat shield around the passenger side exhaust manifold broke loose and fell down into the starter. Shorted some stuff out and blew some fusible links. They got that fixed up but the starter itself shook loose and broke one of the bolts up inside the block so we're trying to get that piece out right now so we can start it up. Still waiting to see what's causing the shaking but you can imagine how wicked a vibration it would have to be to shake apart the heat shield and break NEW starter bolts (only been in for 2 months).
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #28
justinburnett

Got her all running again. My guy says the only thing he could figure was the #6 cylinder has low compression. Said that would cause some shake but probably not enough to start breaking bolts, but then again maybe. Also the harmonic balancer is out of balance, so that's no good. Pretty much said I needed a new engine but to get it back to the trans shop and have them look over their work because he didn't want to get into the trans and void my warranty.

So at least I need a new engine. Of course. Damned thing worked great last week with plenty of power and no vibration. Pisses me off.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #29
justinburnett

Found a 400 small block in a 77 van that runs good someone only wants $300 for it if i pull it myself. Will that drop straight in using the same mounts and everything? Seems like an okay deal. I really want to get everything working again. I've spent too much time and money to trash this thing and start over, but as far as money goes, I'm out. My budget might run as far as $500 at the most. I have all the tools I need to pull and replace and engine as long as everything will match up. Just don't want to get into something where I have to start buying stuff and changing things. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #30
sailed2japan
Jonny

This is why I shift my own gears.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
-AEC Hundley USNR
sailed2japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:58 AM   #31
justinburnett

Ya know, honestly normally I drive manuals but I thought I got a good deal on this truck.... just goes to show if it seems too good to be true...... yeah.

Honestly, I'm sure when I'm done it'll be fine and last a long time but all this crap is really pissing me off in a time when I'm trying to conserve money. Might as well quit trying since it's obviously not happening.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:08 AM   #32
ChevyC102007

The SB 400 and 350 share the same motor mounts ad transmission bolt pattern. As for the vibration as mentioned earlier bad balancer, lose torque convertor to flexplate bolts maybe the mounts fried too I dunno.

Im wondering if he didnt put a flexplate for a 400 on by mistake. 350's are internally balanced while the 400 like the 454 is externally balanced. That would cause one helluva vibration and would explain why it only shows up at 1500 rpm and above.

Just my opinion I have been known to be wrong.

2001 Dodge Ram Sport 1500 4x4. (old ride)
1987 GMC V1500 Sierra Classic ("new" ride)
ChevyC102007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #33
justinburnett

Would I actually be able to see balance weights on the plate somehow? I'll take a look and see if it looks weird.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #34
ChevyC102007

If thats the case I dont think you can balance the flywheel/flexplate. The 400 plate has a weight about 1.5 to 2 inches long at about the 4 o'clock position.

If thats what it turns out to be, the tranny guy that put it in will have to replace it.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #35
sailed2japan
Jonny

That's a good point I had a new flex plate put on my truck with a 454 in it and it did the same kind of thing. The problem was they put on a flywheel for a motor with a cast crank and mine had a forged crank, so the balance was different.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
-AEC Hundley USNR
Old 02-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #36
ont_guy_38

I would think if it was the wrong flywheel that would have been noticed right away not 100 miles later
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #37
justinburnett

That's a good point. It wasn't really bad to begin with. There was a slight buzz but I really didn't notice it much or think it was a problem at first and it got worse and worse and worse.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #38
justinburnett

Didn't see any weights on the flexplate.
Maybe it really is just that my engine when from being perfectly fine to totally taking a crap in one day.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #39
ont_guy_38

Take the bolts out of the convertor and shove it into the tranny all the way , start the engine and see if it shakes or not, that will tell you where it,s coming from engine or tranny
Old 02-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #40
Tom
driving is in my blood

You hate transmissions because you don't have a muncie M series 4 speed. If you did you'd like transmissions. Alot.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #41
justinburnett

That's a good idea. I'll do it in the morning. I don't know why I didn't think about that before, it's only 3 bolts and since the dust cover's missing anyway, it'll take all of 10 min to get them out, figure out which it is, and put them back in. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #42
sailed2japan
Jonny

I'll have to sow that trick for future reference, too.
-AEC Hundley USNR
Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #43
justinburnett

is there a different bell bolt pattern on Cadillac engines? Friend of mine told me he had a good caddy engine he'd just give me it's been sitting in his shop for about a month. I could drop it in myself no problem if the mounts and bolts are the same but he wasn't sure if it would mate to my transmission.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #44
ont_guy_38

If your tranny has the dual bolt pattern then ya but i,m not sure if all the other hassles of hooking everything up would be worth it or not. Sometimes just the cost of modifying the exhaust outweighs finding a decent running small block

Last edited by ont_guy_38; 02-14-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #45
justinburnett

Yeah, and shortly thereafter I'd be wanting to change the gear ratios since I have 4.10 and my gas mileage would probably be way way worse than ever. I'll just find a re-built 350. Pretty much any year through the 80's bolt straight in without messing with anything?
Old 02-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #46
ont_guy_38

Yup 70's to mid 80's small block will bolt right in
Old 02-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #47
justinburnett

Found a re-built one for $599. New rings, stem seals, main and rod bearings, cam journal/bearings, camshaft, valve job, milled heads, honed cylinders, and main seals and oil pump. 12 month warranty.

Good deal, or at least reasonable? If not, what should I be paying, do you think? Where's a good place to buy? Anywhere that would truck freight it to my house for a reasonable cost? Thanks.

Last edited by justinburnett; 02-14-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #48
ont_guy_38

WOW add another 1000 bucks to that around here
Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #49
ChevyC102007

Just a thought but if your on s show-string budget why not rebuild the motor you have? I know Northern Auto Parts has a complete Master kit for a SB 350 for 189 plus shipping, a decent machine shop could clean up the cylinders and crank for a decent price etc etc etc..........

Thats the way Id go but thats just my .02

Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #50
sailed2japan
Jonny

If you can I would find a reputable machine shop in your area. I know a shop down here that will pull, build, and install a SBC in an older truck for $2000. They give a 3yr/36k warranty, too. That's just for a basic rebuild, but when I talked them they said anything performance they do for the price of the parts.
-AEC Hundley USNR