The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #26
Grumpy old man

Re: Truck Won't Start

Does your battery charger have a jump start option ? And yes you can hook the red + cable to the + battery terminal and the same for the black - negative side directly to the battery .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:31 PM   #27
Foxcroft80

No, it doesn't have the jumpstart option. I'll try the + and - direct to battery tomorrow and see if the verdict is any different. Thanks, all. Good to know there are a lot smarter minds out there than this guy who just wants to git and rip!
Foxcroft80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:38 PM   #28
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxcroft80 View Post
I should also say that when charging I went Positive to positive battery clamp and negative to frame (per manual). Should I go + to + and - to - on the battery teminal clamps to test the core connection?
Probably just me, but I've never had much luck with the negative to frame business.

Should go w/o saying, but safe to assume your terminals are clean? That's #1. If your wires are bad then that's #2, replace them. If that's all good and the battery tests out (e.g. virdict on jump start still pending), then replace the starter (or solenoid as Grumps says). I have always just replaced the starter, so don't know any better. The starter costs what, $80 for a good one? Do that and problem solved.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-21-2015 at 11:56 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #29
Foxcroft80

Today I tried the charger directly to the terminal clamps (+ and -). So far after about 2 hrs it's holding steady @ 25% charge and the needle doesn't seem to be moving. It's bizarre that yesterday it read a full charge. Anyway, seems like my battery is certainly undercharged. What if the needle never moves...does that mean my battery is junk?
Old 11-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #30
Dagr8npwrfloz

Quote:
Today I tried the charger directly to the terminal clamps (+ and -). So far after about 2 hrs it's holding steady @ 25% charge and the needle doesn't seem to be moving. It's bizarre that yesterday it read a full charge. Anyway, seems like my battery is certainly undercharged. What if the needle never moves...does that mean my battery is junk?
Sounds like your negative battery cable is loose or coroded. Pull it off, sand the inside of the clamp, and the battery terminal, and reinstall. Hook up the charger again and see if it doesn't reproduce yesterday's results of full charge..
Dagr8npwrfloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #31
Foxcroft80

I sanded the negative and reattached - no change. I also tried a jump off my car. Nothing. Any other ideas as to what the heck is going on??
Old 11-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #32
Dagr8npwrfloz

Remove both cables from the battery and try to charge it, not attached to the truck.. Trying to recreate yesterday's full charge results... If you can't, I'd say your battery is toast... If you have a drain on the battery and it fully depleted the charge ( which it can do in 2 weeks) it can kill a batteries ability to hold a charge.. I doesnt matter if the battery is an hour old. The fact that you cant jump it off a running car worries me, but After you rule out the battery as the culprit you can start diagnosing if you have a starter problem
Old 11-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #33
Foxcroft80

I'm going to leave the charger on a bit longer - it looks like the needle is moving towards 100% (albeit just barely). If I don't see progress within the next hour I'll detach from the truck and see if it will charge that way. I'll keep all posted!!
Old 11-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #34
RPBurris

You can always try taking the battery out of another car and hooking it up at least temporarily. That will at least eliminate the battery or pinpoint it as the problem. Make sure all of your connections are tight and as a previous post said make sure your ground on the battery is just as good.

If it turns out to be the battery you might have a drain somewhere. Could be a wire with the shielding worn off over the years and just grounding out or something else. These problems can be difficult to find sometimes. If your truck is going to be sitting for several weeks at a time you can also buy a battery tender. I have found the cheap ones at Harbor Frieght work just as well as the expensive ones.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #35
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

dollars to donuts your battery is bad. Like suggested, pull and charge it. An option is to have it tested at the parts store.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-22-2015 at 12:14 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #36
Foxcroft80

Update - charger is now just about 75%. I never checked the charge when I bought the new battery, and depending on how long it was sitting on the shelf the charge may have been weak. Given I've only used it 2 or 3 times since the new battery and never driving too far those times along with temps here in Maine dipping into the 20's over night the battery may have just crapped out. I'll let you know when I get to 100%!
Old 11-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #37
Foxcroft80

OK, it reached 100%. I disconnected the charger and tried to turn her over. Still a click. I hooked the charger back up and the charge dropped to 50%! No idea what the hell is going on. I have to run out so I'll leave it charging for another 2 hours or so and see what happens. I'm officially confused (not that it takes much!).
Old 11-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #38
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
The clicking noise is either a dead battery or a bad starter selenoid as far as hearing the click below the drivers seat ,well , the starter is on the passengers side , dirty corroded battery connections ? burnt + battery cable to close to the exhaust ? loose wire on the starter selenoid ? a picture is worth a thousand guesses ?
GOM, I've shied away from boosting (other people's) cars with mine running. I'll charge it, but won't let them crank it when mine's running. Most manuals are pretty specific about this.

It likely only applies to computer and newer cars anyway (what are you going to do, burn the condensor?) but I'm not grenading a $3000 computer in a shopping center because someone was too cheap to buy a $70 new battery.

Which is why I carry a booster pack, actually, but I digress.

Anyway, I don't think cars should be running during this process. Unless they're old.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #39
Dagr8npwrfloz

99% your battery is smoked... Take it to auto parts store and have them confirm it, but I'd take some $ to get your new battery while your there...
Old 11-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #40
Foxcroft80

Thx, all. I should note that headlights/gauges work so there is a charge. I'm sure that doesn't require much though. I'll pull and see if a charge outside the truck does anything. Jeez...always something with these old rigs Thank you all for the help - I'm trying to learn!
Old 11-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #41
Dagr8npwrfloz

I like Burris's idea.... While you have your battery out and on the charger, put another in from a working car... Would take 10 minutes and tell you whether or not a new battery would fix your starter issues..... Or if the toasted battery is just a symptom of a deeper problem..
Old 11-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #42
gkhashem
Account Suspended

Quote:
Hi All,

I went to fire up the truck today and was greeted by a simple clicking noise. Not even a hint of the fan trying to turn. My battery is less than 2 months old, so I know that's not the issue. Any ideas as to where I should check? No idea how long the starter has been in the truck...

Thanks,
Foxcroft-
I just replaced a 6 month old battery today so don't assume battery is good. Did you try headlights? Do they look dim?
gkhashem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:03 AM   #43
Foxcroft80

I didn't get out to look at them, but I turned them on from the cab and they came on. Also when I start it the brake light on the dash lights up.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #44
roboticjunky

Sounds like a weak battery or a bad starter. Take both to an auto parts store and get them tested.
roboticjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #45
Foxcroft80

Hey guys,

So both battery and starter tested fine. In removing the starter a noticed my positive feed had a big ol' tear in the rubber casing and was cracked in a couple of other places. $13 got me a new cable and the truck fired right up! Phew, cheap fix...gotta love those.