The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #26
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: True Low Buck Trucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwill41 View Post
People are very surprised to hear that this is rattle can brown primer with cheap clear sprayed from a gun in a booth. 4 years later and I think it still looks good.
I'm going to do the same thing but with rustoleum as the base coat. Mine is going to be an off road toy and parts hauler so no point in putting several hundred bucks into the paint materials. I like under $9 a quart much better.

I paid $400 for my 67 C10, bought a 74 K10 rolling chassis & 84 K5 rolling chassis for $300 (sold the spare differentials, seats & top off the K5 for $240 so the actual cost for the 4x4 chassis was only $60), picked up a nice condition TBI 350 with freshly rebuilt heads for $135, a GM Goodwrench reman 4L60E that looked to be a couple years old at the most and an NP208 that bolted right to the 4L60E for another $110.

I got a good bed side and a good fender for another $35.

I snagged a roller cam & all the parts to do the conversion out of a vortec truck for $20 and a nice bench seat out of a 90 Z/71 for another $25.

So far I have $785 into my 67 K10 project.

I have a bunch of labor to do still but I should be able to get it running & driving and have less than $1000 into it with EFI and overdrive too.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #27
Shyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I think the best way to approach a "low buck" build is to start by getting the mechanicals right.Get it running well,stopping well steering straight and as clean as possible.Then every week take something and detail/clean/repair it.Setting a goal will help keep it going and take pics of what you did.Have the Redheaded Irish girl do an album cronological order of the progress.You can't look at it except once every 2-3 months,unless you start getting burned out or bummed because you don't think you're making progress.
Maybe start by taking brackets and cleaning/painting them.small stuff like this can make a big difference in how you perceive your truck and your progress since they are very visual.Cleaning and doing a good rattle can detail job on stuff will really make the truck look better.

Here's pics of my engine when I got it clean.It looks pretty bad but at least it's clean.I will have to wait for some light since I haven't taken any afters.It's much better except the valve cover didn't come out and is waiting for a less humid day to get a repaint.
Looking pretty clean. I need to start cleaning the 250 L6 engine in my '67 one of these days.

You have a good approach at working on these old trucks. I keep my running and driveable while I work on it.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #28
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

hottrucks now yours is a cool low buck truck!, Yours and many others..but you really can streach the dollar!

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #29
Shyguy

Here is another one of my low buck trucks. I bought a '67 C-20 lwb stepper along with a '69 swb frame and '92 stepside bed for $400 from my grandson when he decided to give up on the project.

My son and I took the two trucks and made a '67 swb stepper. My son gave me a 250 L6 engine and a set of 6 lug rallies with tires.

Here is a picture of how it looked until a little while back before I took the newer bed off to get the frame ready for a correct swb stepper bed. I guess I have right at $1000 in this project so far.

As soon as I finish building the craft/sewing room for my wife I will start working on both trucks full time.
Attached Images

'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #30
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Low Bucks Deluxe
Old 08-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #31
CJ Loeffelholz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwkns View Post
Low Bucks Deluxe
That truck looks gorgeous.
CJ Loeffelholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #32
LeatherMan69

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I think the best way to approach a "low buck" build is to start by getting the mechanicals right.Get it running well,stopping well steering straight and as clean as possible.Then every week take something and detail/clean/repair it.Setting a goal will help keep it going and take pics of what you did.Have the Redheaded Irish girl do an album cronological order of the progress.You can't look at it except once every 2-3 months,unless you start getting burned out or bummed because you don't think you're making progress.
Maybe start by taking brackets and cleaning/painting them.small stuff like this can make a big difference in how you perceive your truck and your progress since they are very visual.Cleaning and doing a good rattle can detail job on stuff will really make the truck look better.

Here's pics of my engine when I got it clean.It looks pretty bad but at least it's clean.I will have to wait for some light since I haven't taken any afters.It's much better except the valve cover didn't come out and is waiting for a less humid day to get a repaint.
Nail on the head my friend! That is what i have been hearing alot of... I have a NASTY habbit of looking at the BIG picture and if i do that i notice absolutely everything that needs done, then question whether or not i've gotten in over my head. So when that happens i just go fiddle with the Harley a bit do some minor project then im right back in the mix of the 69! But you are very right about taking small steps and doing little things that will make a big difference. This forum is so great at inspiring and informing. Very glad i found it!
LeatherMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #33
samwise68
FarmBoy.

First off, let me start by saying that I LOVE low buck. It's the essence, man.

Second, tell me more about the clear sprayed on over the primer! Brand? Type? Etc?? Please and thank you in advance.

Third, I'll show you my junk. Paid 100 for it, ended up with a little over 1 grand total stuck into 'er. Including liscee, tires, etc. Check my build thread in my sig for more info.

from this:

to this:

She is my daily driver. She's tired, she smokes, she drinks. But she's paid for, and I wouldn't trade 'er for the world.

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:02 AM   #34
CHONGO

bought it for $500 drove it home, had some ralleys sittin around put some tires I had on em after a quick coat of paint. Did the brake hoses and lines and made some drop blocks. Have a set of 3" drop springs for the front and a buddy who just lifted his Jeep tj so Im gonna get the rear springs out of it.Into it for about $750
Attached Images

1964 SWB panel truck
2000 S10 ls x cab Aluminum headed 355
2006 Harley Davidson Night train
CHONGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #35
LeatherMan69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHONGO View Post
bought it for $500 drove it home, had some ralleys sittin around put some tires I had on em after a quick coat of paint. Did the brake hoses and lines and made some drop blocks. Have a set of 3" drop springs for the front and a buddy who just lifted his Jeep tj so Im gonna get the rear springs out of it.Into it for about $750
I like that chongo! Low buck as hell and driveable....

P.S. I got that same bike! just hand built a sissy bar for it. It looks bada$$ if i do say so myself!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #36
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Here's a couple of after shots(more or less) they give you an idea of what about $20-25 and some time and effort accomplished.It's by no means show quality but it is much better than the grease blob that used to be there.The valve cover is sanded and I just put a coat of paint on it since the humidity finally went down.

I still need to get a new fuel line and bend it to fit/look right,and I have an idea on what I want to do with the plug wires but need to wait until I can hit a swap meet and find a couple of things.I have probably 10-12 hours in claening/painting the engine compartment.I did buy new inner fenders a while back and need to put another coat of paint on them and get them installed.

Didn't mean to post that pic of the deranged owner in there.
Attached Images

Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 08-08-2010 at 12:50 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #37
CJ Loeffelholz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwill41 View Post
thanks Leatherman. It worked out very well. You would never know its not paint by looking. It made the brown primer look more orangish. I call it "cinnamon brown" and thats exactly what it looks like. I will be trying the same thing with some grey primer on an upcoming project. It will probably be two tone, light and dark grey.
Damn, dude, you're a Renascence man. Did you spray the clear or was that rattle can too?
CJ Loeffelholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #38
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Loeffelholz View Post
That truck looks gorgeous.
Thanks CJ \; It wasn't always that way. This is in '97 when I first got it for $500.

This is what it looked like for twelve years.

My advice for anyone working on a tight budget is to take your time. Be prepared to buy the things you need when a good deal pops up, but don't buy compulsively. Have a plan! Don't do anything that will disable your vehicle for a long period of time. Don't be frustrated. Your hard work and patience will reward you in the end. In the meantime enjoy the pleasure it is working on, and driving these contemporary classics.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #39
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

This one came off the farm with every corner damaged. It's my daily driver.

$175 white front end from a swap meet. I sold the old one for $125 the next year.
$150 each for a 3.54 D60 and power steering
$400 for wheels and new tires on ebay
I bought a utility trailer for $150 intending to swap beds, but wound up doing a hacked up cut and paste job on the rearmost 18" instead. Sold a cut and pasted utility trailer for $100.
The next set of bedsides, along with the spare trans, came from members here at a good price. The wheel arches that were used on the bedsides pictured came from a front clip that I got at a farm sale for $15
Maybe $400 in SS brake lines and brake parts.
Junkyard HEI and a used Edel 1406 are the only motor changes.
The center console and speaker boxes are built from 3/4" T&G flooring that I had around. No comments on the horn switch.

Like was said above, be patient, but don't be afraid to jump on a deal when you find one.
Attached Images

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #40
Jwill41

I bought the rattle can primer (FP102) at O'Reilleys and the clear from the Dupont paint store. I actually spent a small fortune on the primer. I couldnt count how many coats it took to get it uniformly covered. Also did a lot of wet sanding between coats so a LOT of it washed away. Next time I will get it by the gallon from the paint store also. It will cover much better and be more even from a gun. Clear over primer was not the plan when I started but I tried it on a pc of metal one day and it looked great so decided to do it. I did the complete interior also and put new knobs, handles, carpet, etc. I just happen to work for a paint booth manufacturer so access to the booth for the clear was no problem. All the primer was done in my driveway. This was my first attempt to paint anything but it looks very good in my opinion even though I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING about painting. Try at your own risk.

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club

Last edited by Jwill41; 08-08-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #41
Jwill41

the dash must have had a very big radio in it at some time before I bought it. Before and After pics

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:49 AM   #42
allen123
It'll buff out

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
here was my low budget truck, it looks the same but with an orange bed and lowered with jeep springs..
Your bedsides hit in the same spot mine was

My Build
Cody Allen
allen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #43
AirSpeed

I dont know what you consider "low buck" but mine cost me about $5500 including the purchase price. I took my time and did all the labor myself, I made all the body working tools including my slide hammer, long board sander, anvil and dolly. I used a two cylinder, 40 gallon compressor from Harbor freight that cost me about $350 and a $100 Sharpe HVLP gun. A body shop would have charged me at least $5500 just to do the paint so I think my truck would be considered a "low Buck" build.

AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #44
LeatherMan69

Well i guess i need to post my "jalopy pics... heres a few from when i took it home and started tearin' it up. Havent got to much further. WARNING: Pictures may contain large volumes of rust PLEASE wear eye protection!
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #45
LeatherMan69

here's some more pics... beds off. Since then one cab corner is put on. I have the rockers and other cab corners. BUT found out how extensive the cab really is and will have to order more floor patch panels as well as inner rockers and possibley a pillar or two. YEa thea cab is the worst part. I dont know if i got pics of the "cab supports" or at least where they should be at least. Most of the bed is decent. Have to pound out some spots aquire a couple bed rails and go from there. Like i said RUST bucket. Indiana winters... gotta love what they do! Dont know if this was a smart first project or a get in over my head one! Oh well time will tell!
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #46
LeatherMan69

a beauty aint she?! HA!

Last edited by LeatherMan69; 08-09-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #47
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
I dont know what you consider "low buck" but mine cost me about $5500 including the purchase price. I took my time and did all the labor myself, I made all the body working tools including my slide hammer, long board sander, anvil and dolly. I used a two cylinder, 40 gallon compressor from Harbor freight that cost me about $350 and a $100 Sharpe HVLP gun. A body shop would have charged me at least $5500 just to do the paint so I think my truck would be considered a "low Buck" build.

Man! That is super clean! Nice job on the build man. Oh....and I love the tear drop camper in your avatar!

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #48
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencvn72 View Post
Man! That is super clean! Nice job on the build man. Oh....and I love the tear drop camper in your avatar!
Hey Thanks! I built that too. Here it is behind my 69C10. You can see it and some pics of the progress on the truck here----http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v655/aaronhero/

Thanks again!
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #49
'72customdeluxe

No pics, but someone used too long wood screws for my headliner so there's little poked up metal spots on the top of my roof. Plenty of twist and plastic butt connectors in my wiring harness, like the main headlight wires. Low buck, and stupid
Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #50
FlounderGDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherMan69 View Post
a beauty aint she?! HA!

I'm really glad someone saved that truck from the barn it was rusting away in... I drove out to look at it when I was looking for my first 67-72 truck... The price was right but I knew I didn't have the time patience or money to do it any justice.
2008 Malibu

Brand Loyal... I've never owned a Vehicle not made by Chevrolet.
FlounderGDI is offline   Reply With Quote