The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #26
notrailerqueens

Re: Jessica, my 86 lwb

well everything i build is low budget lol and pink is kinda my color

i do agree with you totaly on the harness that def is gonna be my best solution i think. ive been trollin craigs list but with the holidays this build has def gone to LOW budget lol. currently im just trying to get stuff done with the parts i already got till i get some more cash flow.

a/c parts would be nice but idk if lil miss jessica is destined to have a/c at this point in time. she does have vent windows and a sliding back glass which will prob be my a/c for a while.

when it comes to the motor the spacer plates are gone, i am pretty nervous about that 750. i think your right when you say ill never get it jetted to where i need it to get the most out of it.
currently shes runnin a 77 jet on the primary and a 79 on the secoundary (ie why shes fat as hell lol) ive been trying to deside where i wanna step her down im thinkin im gonna start with 74 primarys and 77 secondarys and then step her down from there untill im there. i would LOVE to have a 650 on her but the 750 was what i had and i can prob get it close enough (ugh i hate that "close enough") to work untill i can get me what i want.

again with the drop flip is what i was thinking about doing. but im a good ole country girl and i aint never dropped a truck im more of a "in the trees vs in the weeds" but this truck DEF needs some off the top. and with it being said i aint never done it before ive been really wary about how i wanna do it and how much i wanna come down. i dont want her slammed but a nice static drop would make me happy, get the air out from under her and give her a better stance. i LOVE your sugestion and info on the flip and coil cut cuz i had NO idea what went into a flip. and the price tag.....freakin super! now all i gotta do is sweet talk a buddy to weld it up for me (one of the few things i havent learnd how to do but its extremely high up on the list)

hey im all for cheap to free info!

85' chevy long box, built by a girl!

My Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429956
notrailerqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #27
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Insert male ego here>>>>>

"If you like my stance then you should see whats under my hood..It's all about the inchs"

Ok now back to reality..yea I get the 5/50 A/c I'm gathing parts for mine...the coil cut will give you about 4" and the flip about 5

don't listen to me but I would run 69 and 72
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #28
notrailerqueens

well you cant tell a woman that u got inches and then not prove it
seriously though all aside can i ask a favor? can i see under her skirt? and by skirt i mean hood.

big thing thats hanging me on the coil cut is then i gonna be outta alignment. not a huge thing. and in alll actuallity even after i do a flip and cut coils and buy new shocks plus then an alignment im still gonna come out cheaper than one drop spindle so all in all i most likely will just cut coils. 4-5 is a lil more than i was gonna originally go for but the more and more trucks like mine i see with that drop and how awesome their stance is the more i say throw caution to the wind lets do this!

def will take your advice on the jetting though.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #29
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

well take a look at the end of my build and theres some pics of what I have..and size does matter

as far as alignment I just added a few shims on both upper control arm studs to get some of the camber back and it drives very well with no odd tire wear...shocks set me back like $35 for the pair..they are for a 50 Chysler imperial I think the # is 5758 or something close to that

remember your going to have to remove the bump and steering stop but there over rated anyway...

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011

Last edited by Hottrucks; 11-18-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #30
notrailerqueens

MMMEEEEOOOOWWWW! bet that baby screams!
*note tinge of jealousy*
very very nice dude!

cool cool yah i actually scored a set of shock for the rear off a buddy which i believe will accomidate that much of a drop, so all ill have to get is the fronts. thanks for the heads up on the part #. always greatly appreciated. im def gonna do some serious read through on your build now. looks so sick!

heres a question though. when i do cut the coils, say i went with......1 off what is my clearance gonna look like, when it comes to turning radius that is. cuz i def dont wanna do the 49 thousand point turn consistantly. but hey if thats what it takes so be it i can sacrafice a lil

and hey whats a build with out some "extra" parts lol

Old 11-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #31
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Stop to stop the only diff is if you get a wheel with tons of back spack which won't be an issue with those 7" you have on there now ( mine came with the dsame wheels..lmao)

I would start with 1 off it takes about 1/2 hour to do it just pull the wheel Pop the lower ball joint and lower the LCA and pull the spring..I like to put them in a bucket of water and cut them with a cut off wheel this keeps the spring Kool.... put it back in a and at least roll it a bit to get them to settle.....Or take it out on the street and beat it!! then get it back in the driveway and check how low it is..if you like it then put the cotter pins back in it and roll

also not sure what your lower rears shock mounts look like but I flipped mine from right to left and it gave me 3" more room for shock travel...I'm still using the stock rear shocks

I think you'll be happy with that drop just be careful to keep it out of the giggly weeds and be gental when you roll into parking lots that the angle isn't to steep ...you'll learn to go in on an angle quickly

Last edited by Hottrucks; 11-18-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #32
notrailerqueens

well i will most likely go back to rallys. but i will keep that in mind i doubt ill have an issue then between the ones on there and the rallys though.

awesome info on the cut. thanks cuz im not to proud to say i didnt even have the slightest clue where to start. the shocks i got came at the best price=free. and the ones that are on it are pretty wore out so we will see if the free ones wont work i wont be too heart broken to have to go buy some cuz i can always help somebody out with em if i dont use em-and thats what its really all about.

yah i think once its all said and done ill be happy with it and hey if im not its not like its permant lol

Old 11-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #33
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Ok now less surf'n and more work'n...just don't mess up the nails or bend over with too short a skirt

Old 11-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #34
notrailerqueens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
Ok now less surf'n and more work'n...just don't mess up the nails or bend over with too short a skirt
*noted* (sounding like my dad)
but your right i got an over haul i need to go put for a tech

Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #35
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrailerqueens View Post
*noted* (sounding like my dad)
but your right i got an over haul i need to go put for a tech

Huh???

I'll let you know how that grill whitener works too I picked some up tonight..

when your looking for Rallies try to find a set of Van rallies for the front there 7" and a set of 8s for the back it will add in the clearance issue if you ever goto drop spindles...also keep in mind that if you ever plan to bag that your inner fenders may need to go so keep stuff off them
Old 11-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #36
notrailerqueens

well i have a set of rallies off of my original truck (78 gmc heavy half) so id like to just use them. not really wanting to go to bags id like to stay with a static cuz bags is just too much other stuff that i just dont care to jack with.

yah let me know if yah like it.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:44 AM   #37
notrailerqueens

well had the day off work today so i got some work done. thankfully. got my cold air intake all piped out today cuz i was tired of having to walk around it. lol plus i just didnt have the patience to work on the wiring.
so keeping with the fact that it is a low buck build i improvised some with stuff i had laying around.
i pulled the grill off, which i discovered is in pretty bad shape looks like im moving that billet one hire up on the list of stuff im gonna get next, and cut off the factory rain cap for the intake and cut me out matching one on the drivers side to run my two new intake pipes too. i used some aluminum i had laying around in the garage and used the original rain cap from the factory intake to size out the new ones. then i used some copper tubing i had to make the spacers, measured em out to about 2 to 2-1/4 (cant remember now) then i drilled out 4 holes and mounted up my new caps with some stainless deck screws. (i know i know deck screws? but hey i had em they were stainless and the length i needed. just roll with it). then i rattle canned everything so that it will be good and hidden behind the grill.
then took my old cleaner out and mounted up the new one. pretty self explanatory there, it bolts up then you run the hoses. mine came with the flexible piping which one day will probably be replaced with a solid preformed one but right now the flex works and its really nice to be able to move it around to get other stuff done.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2010, 02:45 AM   #38
notrailerqueens

heres a pic of it all together.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2010, 02:54 AM   #39
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

This project is coming along nicely! Love the dual air inlets.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:12 AM   #40
notrailerqueens

thanks! still got a long way to go but its gettin there

Old 11-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #41
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

That looks really sharp. Nice work.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #42
notrailerqueens

thanks! it will def look better when i get all the wiring cleaned up.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #43
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Ummm I hate to be a fart in chruch...and I love shiney But uuuummmmmm....if you took the hoses off and rotated the air cleaner botom 180* it looks like the snout angle would work better for you and move the PVC hose to the back......

Then when your done I'm coming over to light your truck on fire AGAIN...rubber fuel line is a NO NO.......
Old 11-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #44
notrailerqueens

i will look into that on rotating the cleaner around and moving the pcv hose.
i havent ever had a problem out of rubber fuel line on any of the vehicles ive build but eventually she will have braided lines all around currently its what i have and i aint got money to throw at all new lines right now.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #45
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

its a $3 piece of metal brake/fuel line!!!

Its not just you so many including myself have done it to get stuff rolling but it NEEDS to be on the HIGH Priority list

A quick/cheap way to clean up your plug wires is to amke up the Zip Tie hanger it onlny takes a few zip ties and about a half hour to make some up.....heres a how to from a tuner page but you get the idea

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...-dividers.html
Old 11-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #46
notrailerqueens

true true. like the idea about the zip tie holders. im gonna get new plug wires to work better with my headers but again thats a lil further down the purchase list right now.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #47
notrailerqueens

welp got a lil bit of work done this week. having the whole family at the house for thanksgiving kinda screwed up plans to get stuff done.
got the trans crossmember out and set up for mods. problem was that the headers (long tubes) dump out about 4 inches in front of the crossmember so there was no space to run exhauast with out lots of bends which i was wanting to shy away from.
ended up using my stock "L" crossmember with a lil bit of modification. to match the drop on the drivers side we (my buddy-hes got a torch and welder which i do not) cut out about 6-8 inches, mostly the whole right side of the crossmember and welded in a peice of 3/8 plate steel with aprox a 2 inch bend on each side to get the drop we needed. unfortuantly we ran outta gas and didnt get it finished up and being that it was 2am we couldnt go fill the bottle. however we did get a bottle yesterday so we should finish up tonight or tmrw. still need to box it off and lay a good bead since most of it is just tacked right now. ill post a pic up soon as its done and then when i put it in. if all goes right it will be in tmrw and exhaust will be run by either wednesday night or thursday

on a side note, and an unrelated project i did get work done on my other truck its an 80 j-10 and im gonna have some hard to find stuff that i will need to get rid of off it (not trying to post to sell or anything like that -dont wanna break any rules-just wanted to put it out there in case by chance anybody else has one that will need these parts cuz alot of em are getting hard to find.)

Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #48
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Remember to keep that exhaust up as high as you can !!! You never know what kind of deal your going to stuble upon later...maybe some drop spindles or a cheap bag set up...that youmay want to go with....also check some of dropped truck exhausts...I don't have any pics but while you have the tourch out you may want to cut 2 holes in the X memeber where the trailing arms are mounted....this will save time later trust me...the cut needs to be made ruffly about where the point of the V is in that X memeber and about 3" around......if you can get your exhaust though that and dump it before the rear axle you'll be golden for as much drop as you can stand

all that being said...while ther tourch is out.......... you can pull the rear wheels and cut in the C notch too!!! just use a piece of 6" pipe 4" long cut in half and save yourself some $$$ theres pics in my build of mine...you'll be done with the c notch in about and hour and ..well...you already have the tools out so what the heck!!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #49
notrailerqueens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
Remember to keep that exhaust up as high as you can !!! You never know what kind of deal your going to stuble upon later...maybe some drop spindles or a cheap bag set up...that youmay want to go with....also check some of dropped truck exhausts...I don't have any pics but while you have the tourch out you may want to cut 2 holes in the X memeber where the trailing arms are mounted....this will save time later trust me...the cut needs to be made ruffly about where the point of the V is in that X memeber and about 3" around......if you can get your exhaust though that and dump it before the rear axle you'll be golden for as much drop as you can stand

all that being said...while ther tourch is out.......... you can pull the rear wheels and cut in the C notch too!!! just use a piece of 6" pipe 4" long cut in half and save yourself some $$$ theres pics in my build of mine...you'll be done with the c notch in about and hour and ..well...you already have the tools out so what the heck!!!!
well the exahust is gonna run up over the top of the x member so if im gonna drag anything it will be the x member first.

im actually really considering 2-1/2 drop spindles in the front and a 4 inch drop in the back using shackles. i dont really wanna slam her and i think i will really like the stance that comes from this option. and i will always have the option to go lower later. 4-1/2 in the front and 6 in the rear is just a lil too aggresive of a static for me i think. but who knows i will prob change my mind again b4 its said and done.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #50
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Atta girl..Plan ahead...WAY AHEAD.........nothing worse than spending $$ twice!!

Keeping things clean on the bottom cost the same....also when you get it done I'll pm you a little secret on how to "look" lower with some cheap parts at work...

Hey do me a favor check to see if they have the old style axle covers in a 5 1/2'" diameter with clips ( I have the 6 lug 5 1/2" bolt pattern wheels) or check horn covers too !!! they make great baby moons.... and no stealing my idea when you put your rallies back on either...LMAO!!!!!!!!

I just need a part # and I'll get them locally.........