The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #26
Keith Seymore

Re: Can My 305 Tow?

This, however, is not recommended:

I wasn't going far but it was a bit more than I was comfortable with. I won't do it again.

I should reiterate my truck is a V6 rather than a 305.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #27
SSC's76
No No

I like how things get all out of hand so quickly. 305 is fine you will be fine hauling without a brake controller heck if you don't have one might be safer then setting it up to high and jack knifing your trailer. I guess people don't remember back before most of us were born and people were hauling huge airstram trailers cross country with out brake controllers heck most cases without power brakes or even power steering. did I mention they were using cars and station wagons with little 6 bangers since trucks were for farm use. lol what a world we live in

Posted from 67-72chevytrucks.com App for Android
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #28
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatt View Post
Wow, now a half ton is too little to tow a car. We're getting a little carried away these days.
i really believe that. And i didn't say you couldn't tow with a 1/2 ton, i just said it probably isn't the best. Try it with a 1/2 ton, then try it with a 3/4 and/or 1 ton. i think you'll like the 3/4 or 1 ton better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
I totally disagree with this statement, Here's my 305 towing. No problems with power (2.73 rear at the time), I did have a working trailer brake controller, no problems at ALL stopping.

Desert
How much does the car weigh?

For what it's worth, i did try towing last year. It was a light 1900lb car and uhaul trailer. Admitedly, the 1/2 supported and handled the weight pretty good (although moving the weight was a different story). Did not have a weight distributing hitch either.

But i feel that if i had used a 3/4 or 1 ton it would be handled even better. It's a case of you don't know what your missing if you have not had the chance to compare. i thinks it's the kind of thing where with a 3/4 or 1 ton, you don't even know the trailer is back there. With a 1/2 ton you know. Even if it does an ok job and towing it.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #29
MalibuSSwagon

I've been towing for a few years with my C10, 305/SM465/2.73. Biggest issue is my trailer has no brakes, please use a trailer with brakes.

The only time I had an issue with stopping was when I towed an Explorer, 6000lbs combined towed vehicle and trailer. Not cool when you get pushed thru a stop sign, but made it to the destination without incident.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #30
Evkev

I tow all the time, suburbans, trucks, scrap with my dads 84 seen here with no trailer brakes at all guess I'm just cautious and look ahead.
Attached Images

Evkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #31
MalibuSSwagon

20 years ago my parents hauled around a gooseneck horse trailer with a 84 C10 shortbed, with trailer brakes of course. The truck had some trouble with hills when loaded so my Dad re-built a 350 to replace the 250 six! Did quite well with 350/TH350/3.73 combo, my Mom would drive this setup hundreds of miles to riding events.

1/2 ton is capable, there is no doubt about that. 6-ply LT tires and helper springs are good additions to consider, and trailer brakes are recommended.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #32
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Actually, it would be interesting to see if 1/2 tons are capable of towing 5th trailers, assuming the trailer was light enough.

This may help with supporting the weight and handling since now the rear axle of the truck is now half supporting the weight(along with the trailer axle) of the trailer
Old 12-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #33
cmyc5575

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
Actually, it would be interesting to see if 1/2 tons are capable of towing 5th trailers, assuming the trailer was light enough.

This may help with supporting the weight and handling since now the rear axle of the truck is now half supporting the weight(along with the trailer axle) of the trailer
I have a friend that hauls one of these for his lawn mowing buisness the trailer itself is 2500 lbs and has two riding lawn mowers in it, but not sure what the weight of one of those are. He tells me the thing tows like a champ. Given that you take an extra 75 to 100 to slow down and dont get stupid when taking off.
cmyc5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #34
Evkev

Before it recently laid down its life, so that other Chevys may live, this towed a gooseneck stock trailer, pretty light on its own but with 6 or 8 cows in it it was pretty heavy. I think it has surge brakes been awhile since I towed it.
Attached Images

Evkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 AM   #35
andrewmp6

I won't lie i have towed with out trailer brakes many times years ago.But i never went over 45mph and was always looking around and left my self 3 times the braking distance i needed just in case.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #36
Desert1957

Quote:
i really believe that. And i didn't say you couldn't tow with a 1/2 ton, i just said it probably isn't the best. Try it with a 1/2 ton, then try it with a 3/4 and/or 1 ton. i think you'll like the 3/4 or 1 ton better.

How much does the car weigh?

For what it's worth, i did try towing last year. It was a light 1900lb car and uhaul trailer. Admitedly, the 1/2 supported and handled the weight pretty good (although moving the weight was a different story). Did not have a weight distributing hitch either.

But i feel that if i had used a 3/4 or 1 ton it would be handled even better. It's a case of you don't know what your missing if you have not had the chance to compare. i thinks it's the kind of thing where with a 3/4 or 1 ton, you don't even know the trailer is back there. With a 1/2 ton you know. Even if it does an OK job and towing it.
Not sure if you were directing your question to me. This one time setup was a borrowed trailer, I didn't realize it at the time but is was about 2800 lbs without a car on it. The Steetrod that's on it was not finished, but weight about 1500 lbs.

I have towed a lot of vehicles over the years, Let me say one important point about towing. Pulling power is not as big an issue as braking. Like Keith said above even his V6 shortbed will tow, its about stopping.
Everyone who has admitted towing heavy loads without brakes (and we all have) is gambling you will never have to panic stop your rig.

I have a class A CDL and have driven every weight combo you guys have seen, Trust me when I tell you when you need to make an emergency hard braking stop and its not there its a scary feeling.

There are many other scenario's which no one can predict, like going down large hills where your load is pushing your tow vehicle or trailers sliding on wet roads, avoiding things (Deer) in the road where you need a separate brake controller.

I know this thread has gone WAY off track, its suppose to be about 305's and towing, but just thought I personally would tell you all how strongly I feel about proper towing and safety.

Desert

PS: Don't forget about proper tongue weight, but that's a whole new thread....

Last edited by Desert1957; 12-08-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #37
Keith Seymore

Quote:

We towed a fifth wheel camp trailer with a 1/2 ton (shortbox) my entire growing up years. Made two trips to Phoenix in it (among others).

The only problem there was that there were four of us (plus the dog) in a regular cab pickup (black - with no A/C)....

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #38
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC's76 View Post
I guess people don't remember back before most of us were born and people were hauling huge airstram trailers cross country with out brake controllers heck most cases without power brakes or even power steering. did I mention they were using cars and station wagons with little 6 bangers since trucks were for farm use. lol what a world we live in
[/SIZE]
heh heh - like this?

Believe me, we thought we'd hit the big time when we started pulling with that old open trailer...

K
1986 - 2019
Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #39
SSC's76
No No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
heh heh - like this?

Believe me, we thought we'd hit the big time when we started pulling with that old open trailer...

K
yep lol found this one kinda cool
Attached Images

Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #40
Greenlee

This thread cracks me up. Like some other members I am old enough to remember pulling all kinds of stuff with theses trucks, because this was all we had. My dad had a plumbing company and we used to pull a Case back-hoe all over the place with a regular old 1978 C-20 with a 350. That poor old truck was way overloaded. The back-hoe had to weigh 12,000 pounds without the trailer. He is still in business today, but they pull the back-hoe with a 1 ton diesel and whoever is driving has to have a CDL.
Posted via Mobile Device
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #41
71swb4x4

Quote:
I like how things get all out of hand so quickly. 305 is fine you will be fine hauling without a brake controller heck if you don't have one might be safer then setting it up to high and jack knifing your trailer. I guess people don't remember back before most of us were born and people were hauling huge airstram trailers cross country with out brake controllers heck most cases without power brakes or even power steering. did I mention they were using cars and station wagons with little 6 bangers since trucks were for farm use. lol what a world we live in
A little bit of misinformation above. Maybe I am reading it wrong. Trailer brakes and brake controllers have no bearing on how high the trailer sits.

I hope no one else thinks that using trailer brakes equals things getting out of hand so quickly. My family is driving on the same raods you are.
Pulling things without trailer brakes 40 years ago, is not the same as pulling things without trailer brakes today.
The biggest difference is the quality of the braking systems on the other cars that are on the road. That car driving in front of you can stop way better than the car that was driving in front of people 40 years ago.
IMO people also drive more aggressively today than they did before. When I am pulling and leaving a safe distance between me and the person in front of me people regularly feel inclined to cut in front of me and take that space.

Please OP, heed most of the advice here and use a trailer braking system of some sort.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #42
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Pt.3:

Chevy 305 vs. GMC 305 v-6. We will notice that these 2 engines are about the same size and generally produce the same power although the chevy produces it at higher rpm. The chevy makes 240tq at 2400 while the gmc produces about the same but at 1600ish.

Given that the chevy gets much higher mpg, which do you think would be better at towing and why?

b) without regard to mpg?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #43
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
IMO people also drive more aggressively today than they did before. When I am pulling and leaving a safe distance between me and the person in front of me people regularly feel inclined to cut in front of me and take that space.
Absolutely. I did a traveling race circuit for 15 years and always more concerned about something bad happening on the road to/from the track than I was about something bad happening while on the track.

K
1986 - 2019
Old 12-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #44
Firebirdjones

Quote:
I guess people don't remember back before most of us were born and people were hauling huge airstram trailers cross country with out brake controllers heck most cases without power brakes or even power steering. did I mention they were using cars and station wagons with little 6 bangers since trucks were for farm use. lol what a world we live in

Posted from 67-72chevytrucks.com App for Android
Actually I do remember that quite well, we did it back then. But the big difference then is that there was much less traffic on the road, people drove less aggressively, and there was alot more wide open spaces with less traffic lights and stop signs. We drove more conservative then and were never in a hurry. Not to mention that now brakes on trailers have become laws in most states with trailers over 1500 lbs., laws we didn't have back then. Completely different world today.
Nowadays, I wouldn't even attempt it, period.

As far as towing with the 305, I notice the original poster lives in Colorado. Extreme mountain terrain with long grades. I live in the Prescott, AZ area which is very similar, seems every direction you go is up hill. Going from sea level to 7000 ft elevation and even higher is a reality.
A 305 would drive me absolutely nuts around here trying to tow something. You'll be very slow, and trying to stay out of peoples way will be a challenge (make sure your flashers are working )

It will be a slow go but it can be done. Out here where people drive 80+ mph it actually makes this a very scary proposition.

Also keep in mind that trailer brakes are actually required by law in most states if the trailer (empty) is over 1500 lbs. If they are of the electric variety it will also need a working breakaway box to be legal.
Renting a trailer will have these bases covered obviously, but if you are using someones homemade utility trailer, better check. Cops do occasionally look for this stuff if the trailer looks a bit questionable in appearance.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #45
hatt

Quote:
Of course a 3/4 to ton will tow better. And a medium duty will walk all over a ton if we get serious about hauling. Now maybe we need an F650 to haul a car, if we follow the logic.

I pulled a 36 ft dual tandem gooseneck all over FL with an F350 dually during the housing boom. I'm no stranger to pulling stuff with pickups. If a ton will pull 20K all week long, a good well maintained half will pull 7000 lbs on occasion if you use a little common sense. No I wouldn't start a business.

You should see what people do around here with old rotted out C10s and F150s. They'll haul fruit higher than the cab. Frame resting on the axle.
hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #46
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

What i'm saying is that i think 1 tons (and maybe 3/4's) can tow a car trailer and average car comfortably. Whereas a 1/2 is borderline.

Borderline really isn't the way to go.

i mean a 15 yr old could technically do an adults job, but....................
Old 12-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #47
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

armybyrd ,

I think we lost track of your question . Yes a c10 can drag a car trailer . Trailer brakes are real good idea . 305 is good power . I used my son's 305 / 700r4 burb to drag his mom's Crown Vic home (Tandem car trailer) . Felt like I could run whatever speed I wanted . Fuel mileage was better below 60 .

Common horse sense will help you more than anything . Keep the speed down . Forget you even have passing gear . Make sure you get the weight right on the trailer . Don't roll the car so far forward that you unload the steer tires . As a rule of thumb on my bone stock stuff I'll roll the car forward until the truck sets level . Check the air in all the tires . More pressure means less sidewall flex , less heat
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #48
Firebirdjones

Quote:
What i'm saying is that i think 1 tons (and maybe 3/4's) can tow a car trailer and average car comfortably. Whereas a 1/2 is borderline.

Borderline really isn't the way to go.

i mean a 15 yr old could technically do an adults job, but....................
I agree with that. We towed with 2 different 1/2 ton long bed trucks, one had a 350 and the other was a 454.

They both did okay with an open car trailer and car, but we use a load distribution hitch to keep the truck more stable. Actually a decent tow rig if you kept the weight reasonable. My only complaint is that the 350 doesn't have enough balls to suit me on the long grades, and stop light take off was more sluggish than I liked with the 350.
The 454 however cured those issues and made a pretty decent tow rig (still kept to light duty stuff due to light duty suspension)

Later, with a 28 foot enclosed, the 1/2 ton obviously wouldn't cut it, so I got a 1 ton 454. Night and day difference on the suspension, much better towing stability, bigger wheels and better load range tires, hydroboost brakes, everything about it is bigger and better. It will pull an open car trailer without the load distribution hitch and you can hardly tell it's even back there.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #49
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

I can remember when I was a kid my Dad pulled a 35 foot Shacta (sp) motor home trailer from Kansas to Williamsburg, Virginia with their 1955 Chevy 2 door Bel-Air they only had for about a few months. Bought it new. He did have trailer brakes on the car I know. Had no problem. He did something to the rear of the car so it would not sag so much but much too long ago to remember what he did for sure. This was back in 56. The car had a 265 V-8 with three speed. We did have one flat on the rear tire of the Chevy. I can remember because he had me direct trafic around us while he changed the tire and I hated that. But I am sure that was not the best thing on the car but she pulled it all the way. Was not long after that is when he got himself a truck also. Sure would love to have that red and white Chevy now. He bought a 57 1/2 ton. Do not know what engine it had in it but it was a 1/2 ton.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS

Last edited by 86swb; 12-11-2012 at 01:29 PM.
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #50
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
A little bit of misinformation above. Maybe I am reading it wrong. Trailer brakes and brake controllers have no bearing on how high the trailer sits.

I hope no one else thinks that using trailer brakes equals things getting out of hand so quickly. My family is driving on the same raods you are.
Pulling things without trailer brakes 40 years ago, is not the same as pulling things without trailer brakes today.
The biggest difference is the quality of the braking systems on the other cars that are on the road. That car driving in front of you can stop way better than the car that was driving in front of people 40 years ago.

Please OP, heed most of the advice here and use a trailer braking system of some sort.
I think it was how hard/high the surge brakes are ajusted to come on,can lock it up
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote