The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #26
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Totally disgusted - flat cam

My guess is that your oil type was not the issue with the failure. Especially 500 miles on the engine. The fact of the matter, is that you said that you were using a break-in oil, so you should have been protected. The discussion for zinc in the oil is a good item to consider. That would leave two possibilities---the cam material failed or you could have had an oiling passage failure. I would go throught the whole set of oil galleys to make sure that they are clean before reassmbly again. Been there, felt the pain.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #27
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_talk_alot View Post
thanks to the government about 7-8 years ago, they removed zinc.
The EPA, created on December 4, 1970 by order number 1110.2, mandated that "car manufacturers warranty Three Way Catalytic converters on new cars built since 2004 for 120,000 miles."

When using high zinc oils, the catalytic converters get covered with a zinc coating, limiting life to around 60,000 miles. To meet the EPA's mandates, car manufactures worked with the API to create new, lower Zinc oils that allow catalytic converters to run for over 120,000 miles.

I found an oil dealer in Great Falls that carries military spec oil. 1400 ppm is zinc.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
Eddie H.

It sounds like you did everything right, and unfortuately just got stuck with defective parts.

Personally, I think the quality of parts has really declined in recent years. ( I have never used comp cams. I heard too many stories of lobe failures, even before the zinc was removed from motor oil) I would never buy one.

I spent 40 years working on cars and trucks for a living, built more engines than I can remember, and never once had a cam failure.

Just my own personal opinion, for whatever it's worth, I think the folks at comp cams owe you an apology as well as an engine rebuild.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #29
Horsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie H. View Post
It sounds like you did everything right, and unfortuately just got stuck with defective parts.

Personally, I think the quality of parts has really declined in recent years. ( I have never used comp cams. I heard too many stories of lobe failures, even before the zinc was removed from motor oil) I would never buy one.

I spent 40 years working on cars and trucks for a living, built more engines than I can remember, and never once had a cam failure.

Just my own personal opinion, for whatever it's worth, I think the folks at comp cams owe you an apology as well as an engine rebuild.
I agree, I have built many engines and this is a first for me. The guys at Comp assured me I did something wrong, but did say they would give me a good deal on a roller cam.
1971 Skylark (GS clone racecar) 494 stroker
1986 Buick T-Type
Horsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #30
Eddie H.

"I spent 40 years working on cars and trucks for a living, built more engines than I can remember, and never once had a cam failure."

Actually, I remember having one cam failure back in 1973 when I was dumb enough to install a used cam without using new lifters.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #31
bowtiecharlie

Well it sounds like a bad camshaft!! Back in the late 70's and earley eighties chevy had a big problem with theres!!! I worked at a chevy dealer then and we used there replacement cams/lifters only to have them fail again!!! I did my share of them, under warranty! We got smart and started using reground cams from the 70's with new lifters from the local machine shop,we never had one come back.We used breakin lube on both. If it was me,I would NEVER buy a comp product again!! Roller or what ever. To many other options,that have a good company reputation. They stick to customer satisfaction!!If you still have the original break in oil, You can have that oil analized,and it will determine what is in the oil,and it may determine the cause of your failure. Good luck
Old 01-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #32
Eddie H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
I agree, I have built many engines and this is a first for me. The guys at Comp assured me I did something wrong, but did say they would give me a good deal on a roller cam.
I guess that's one way to sell their roller cams. it's always easier to just blame the customer than to stand behind your products.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #33
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have an engine builder that has changed over to the Synergyn products for every engine that he puts out the door. He also runs it in his vehicles daily.

As for cam failures, GM had some serious issues in the past with flat lobes on their cams and I had to pull a few as a mechanic for a fleet of trucks. I have a comp roller cam in my stroker engine, but my son'e truck has a Crane non-roller cam in it and it is working great to date.

Personally I would pull the engine and inspect the cam bearings, rod bearings, and oil galleys for any debris. You have too much in it now to do just a rudimentary repair on it.

http://www.synergynracing.com/
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #34
darkhorse970

Well, I have to say that this causes me concern. I have a mild 355 on the engine stand about ready to go in my '63. It has a New Comp cam and lifter set in it already. I have used Gibbs cam and lifter grease and i am planning to use Gibbs break in oil. My machine shop reworked my heads and set up the valve springs to work with that cam...I will follow the machine shops breakin procedures and see how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #35
Eddie H.

Yep, I was working for a Chevy dealer back in the early eighties, so I remember the cam problems.
I have had very good service from Crane cams in the past. I don't know if their quality is still what it used to be though.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #36
Eddie H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse970 View Post
Well, I have to say that this causes me concern. I have a mild 355 on the engine stand about ready to go in my '63. It has a New Comp cam and lifter set in it already. I have used Gibbs cam and lifter grease and i am planning to use Gibbs break in oil. My machine shop reworked my heads and set up the valve springs to work with that cam...I will follow the machine shops breakin procedures and see how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe you'll get lucky, and not have any problems. A lot of people will swear by Comp cams and have had good service out of them.

For me personally, it will be a cold day in a very warm place before I will ever buy one.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #37
Horsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse970 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Bite the bullet and install a roller cam. I will never buy another flat tappet cam as long as I live.

Having to pull my engine and completely start over is pure hell to me.
1986 Buick T-Type
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #38
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Quote:
Bite the bullet and install a roller cam. I will never buy another flat tappet cam as long as I live.

Having to pull my engine and completely start over is pure hell to me.

x2

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #39
midniteblues

I've only seen a couple flat lobes in my time.
but the worst was when bigg $$$ was spent on a fresh bb and it ate the cam after break in
I'm glad is wasnt mine but I'll tell ya i sure felt his pain knowing what he had into the engine.

Yours looks so clean I too would hate too have too tear back into it.like others said it makes a roller sound like the ovious choice.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #40
Horsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
I've only seen a couple flat lobes in my time.
but the worst was when bigg $$$ was spent on a fresh bb and it ate the cam after break in
I'm glad is wasnt mine but I'll tell ya i sure felt his pain knowing what he had into the engine.

Yours looks so clean I too would hate too have too tear back into it.like others said it makes a roller sound like the ovious choice.
It was so much easier doing the install when the truck was like this.
Attached Images

1986 Buick T-Type
Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #41
71swb4x4

It's not that hard to pull the front clip. Most of the pieces you are unhooking when you pull the engine anyway, radiator hoses, battery cables, etc.
Unbolt the core support from the frame, cowl panel, fenders from the cab, and away you go.
Of course you have to draw the line somewhere or else the truck will be in 30 pieces before the end of the day.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #42
midniteblues

Quote:
It was so much easier doing the install when the truck was like this.
I hear ya on that I'm about too do it the same way
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #43
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

You leave that motor in and just install a new cam, even if it's a roller (which is what I did), you are nuts. You have a great chance of losing the entire motor. Look through this thread and look at my posts/pics. I have been right where you are at. You want to see what a wiped lobe does to bearings???? Look on....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=557288

My heart goes out to you. That has to be the worse pit in your stomach.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 AM   #44
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

It happed to me as well... So I feel your pain. There was so much garbage in my oil, that I lost a crank as well. The amount of metal particles that was throughout the entire engine was crazy. You should have seen how much was under the baffle in the oil pan alone. What I learned is that after the initial cam break in. CHANGE THE OIL. Do not run the break in oil for 500 miles like we used to in the olden days.

If I do a flat tappet cam... I break it in using straight 30wt oil with Comp Cams break in additive. Do the break in procedure and then CHANGE THE OIL to 10w30 with ZDDP additive. I will then drive the rig for about 200 miles and CHANGE THE OIL. Again using 10w30 and a ZDDP additive. Then I go to my normal oil change routine. Haven't had one go flat since.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 01-14-2013 at 12:52 PM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #45

I removed the 402 in my restored cheyenne super without tranny. Just take ur time. Id remove the radiator and all of that too. If u pull distributor its easy to get at top tranny bolts. Good luck and sorry to hear about ur luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
70 Chevy El Camino SS396, Triple Black, 454/th400, Tach
70 Chevy Shortbox Stepside 4x4, 350/th350, Tilt, Tach, Cab Lights, Bumper Guards, Tow Hooks
70 Chevy 3/4 Longbox, 350/auto, 70k, SURVIVOR
71 Chevy Blazer, CST, 350/auto
71 GMC Sierra K2500, 454, 4 speed, 4.10 posi, 37s
71 Custom/30, Open Road, 350/th400, tilt
72 Chevy Shortbox Fleetside, 496 Stroker/th400, Tilt, Tach, Bucket Seats, 3.42 Posi
72 GMC Sierra Grande 2500. 427/th400, tilt, a/c, tool and stowage, buckets/console, 3.54 posi
68350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #46
64fleetside

I've built dozens of engines, possibly hundreds, in the last 25 yrs-the only engine failure I've ever had was a Comp cam way back in the '90s-was an exhaust lobe on a 289. I thought I did everything right(break-in etc), Comp warranteed the cam but nothing else.

I like using a WIX racing filter 51060R during break in, more flow + more filtration.
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #47
Jaysonb

I plan on putting in a cam this winter, and this has worried the heck out of me. My buddy just had 2 lobes go flat in about 200 miles, ruined a fresh big block in his trans am. What is the cost difference in going with a roller set up?
Posted via Mobile Device
Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #48
big d's red67

I had the same thing happen to my 454 after 11 miles , my machinist told me when I built it to put a roller set up in it because the lack of zink in the oil was killing lobes on all cams. I didn't so I had to do a second rebulid plus a valve job on a brand new set of heads. I feel your pain.

2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS
2013 Camaro RS convertible the wife's

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573248
big d's red67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #49
64fleetside

Looks like $500+.
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #50
glljr

I put a used 25 year old comp cam in my 327 back in june and haven't had an issue yet I feel that the newer cams aren't as strong as they use to be
glljr is offline   Reply With Quote