The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2003, 03:33 PM   #26
lost wages

i also called the missouri highway patrol and was told the only way to do so was to get a new vin made, it costs about 8 dollars. My title is clear and in my name so i dont know why they wont just verify it and let me hack away.
lost wages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 04:46 PM   #27
Desert Rat

new vins issued here are a sticker,with a new number,think id just reuse the old one.when they retitle stuff here,they need to be inspected a level 3 inspection,where they check everything,and if you have a different colored fender or door they want a reciept,i ran into that problem i didnt have reciepts,so i came home and primered it.and that was just to title it in AZ not a vin/cab swap.its easier to go around some of the idiotic laws.whos going to know,if its legit just do it,but dont announce it.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 05:50 PM   #28
TERRYP
GYRO GEARLOOSE

I drove a car from California to Washington to get Washington plates, and yes, you do not need an inspection in Washington anymore! If your vehicle has to be inspected, I think the best way is to cut around the vin, then weld it back in. I used to do that with dune buggies in the 60's never got questioned in California.
66 C-10 Panel, SWB. 350 from '68, 200R4 tranny, 3.07 rear ratio, restoring
68 C10 LWB 350 4spd, 4.56 rear dump runner
82 Camaro, 305, THM-200-R4
84 Monte Carlo 305 TH350, land tuna
85 Tercel SW, snow runner

DISGRACED OUTLAW MEMBER OF THE DRUM BRAKE CLUB
TERRYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 06:42 PM   #29
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Cutting a VIN off one truck and welding it on another is still "breaking the law". It’s just another way of doing it. If an anal retentive DMV employee is going to check for proper rivets, don't you think he'd also reach around and check for welds? Especially on a freshly painted 30+ year old truck! Might as well take your chances with some "incorrect" rivets and save yourself hours of metal work! Hell, I had mine attached with some sheet metal screws for about 4 years! Breakin’ the law….. Breakin’ the law…..!

LOL… I was just thinking…… My truck was originally a long bed and now it’s a shortie! Had no problems getting it inspected/licensed! I guess I won’t be moving to California! I’d be screwed!
Old 02-21-2003, 08:14 PM   #30
Johns70

mikep i had to do what 71stepside said.thats what was needed here in washington when i did mine, because i changed the cab and motor and was issued a new vin tag for the cab and installed it same number as the frame.it was about four years ago when i had to have the 65 truck i got from oregon inspected,so its been awhile, i didn't know that they quit inspecting out of state rigs to get the title chaned and licensed.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:31 PM   #31
>X<
registered IWATA user

damn, what am i gonna do when i eventually build the frame up. i am using a cab from a 72 3/4 ton lwb, it says all that on the title, and it is licensed to me, but the frame is from a 69, i bought it with no title, junked the cab, motor is from late70's burb. this is gonna be fun. i'm glad all my friends work a the inspection place. they just take my ten bucks and slap a sticker on my windshield. got one a while back with no bed. I vote that efabman try his hand at making some rivets from old chevy truck parts, haha

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 08:32 PM   #32
mikep
Used to have a truck

Yeah . Its was about two years ago if I remember right. The state patrol anniounced they wouldnt inspect out of state vehicles any more unless they got a boost in funding. Like its a huge job. I think those goofy round drill sergeant hats make their brains shrink.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:52 PM   #33
69oldie
Never too many LONGHORNS!

In Calif. You can NOT tamper the Vin plate at all!!! The Highway patrol will have to re-issue an "aluminun/sticker" vin plate with their special rivets. Once you taper with your original......they will remove it completely and discard of it themselves (and destroy the original GM tag whether you want to keep the original one or not!!). The Highway patrol will not allow you to watch or observe them when they replace the tag (top secret stuff I guess??). The "new" tag/sticker looks like $hit and takes away from the originality of the truck. Realistically, in calif. the only time that the vin plate is viewed and inspected, is if the truck is stolen then recovered again. At that time, ALL numbers are CAREFULLY inspected .....The 2 sets of vin #'s on the drivers side of the frame, the Drivers cab corner, and engine block( Like someone else said the engine # doesn't matter too much with vehicles of this age, as some engines are swapped/changed anyways.). They inspect to make sure #'s are matching and consistant.
Also someone said you can buy the original rivets???????? If you can, that person who sells and advertises them, are not going to be in buisness too long............
If it wasn't a big deal.....then I don't thunk that General Motors would design a VERY VERY unique looking and tamper resistant
rivet.
P.S. sorry for the any miss spellings!! someone should put a spell check on this board...
69oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 06:14 AM   #34
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Hardrock---I think your cousin's, uncle's, neighbor's whatever is a GENIOUS! ...and we all know while DMV & HP are bent over checking our rivets, ten stolen expensive cars are going right past them and they haven't got a clue. Don't ever try to get any help from them. Make it work, yourself, or they will screw you...guaranteed!
Old 02-22-2003, 10:34 AM   #35
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Sounds like HardRock has a plan there! I personally don't think I would have the patience to do that!! I would probably get fed up, and grab a pair of pliers and rip the SOB off!
Old 02-22-2003, 10:59 PM   #36
Bowed

One thing not mentioned here is that if you were to tamper with a plate and then sold the truck to some one for lets say a noteable amount of money , if the new owner found the plate had been illegaly tampered with he would have legal recourse on the seller = U-pay $$$ .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote