The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #26
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Camper Special or Custom Camper?

Just another side not. Using house wire nuts is a really bad thing. They aren't made for vibration getting oil, grease and wet like under a hood.
Best thing is trace all the wires one at a time and the long ones try to reroute them to shorten them up. I beat some of them aren't even hooked up.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #27
396C20

Re: Camper Special or Custom Camper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Any idea if the Custom/20 and CustomCamper/20 emblems used the same mounting pin spacing (i.e. even though the Custom Camper/20 emblem is obviously longer - does it use the same spacing on the mounting holes? ala interchangeable?
Yes they are the same spacing and interchangeable.

67 Chevy C20 CST
396C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #28
paintersinc87

I always thought my 72 was a custom camper but it doesn't have the emblems, just camper wiring and extra fuel tanks. Does anyone know what was included in the custom camper option?
paintersinc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #29
71 super

The emblems use same pin location- they are enter changeable
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #30
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintersinc87 View Post
I always thought my 72 was a custom camper but it doesn't have the emblems, just camper wiring and extra fuel tanks. Does anyone know what was included in the custom camper option?
Like I said earlier in this thread (and several others) the Z81 "Custom Camper" was an emblem only option, in fact it was free if the box was marked on qualifying orders.

For the 67-72 production years there was not a specific package like later trucks. All that was needed was to meet specific equipment requirements, these varied with the truck models, and the emblems could be ordered.

Camper wiring and aux tanks might indicate it was used a camper carrier but have no bearing on if a truck was or was not a "Custom Camper". A SPID or a build sheet are going to be the only way to verify a factory Z81 truck.

Last edited by SS Tim; 11-20-2013 at 09:39 AM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #31
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Like I said earlier in this thread (and several others) the Z84 "Custom Camper" was an emblem only option, in fact it was free if the box was marked on qualifying orders.

For the 67-72 production years there was not a specific package like later trucks. All that was needed was to meet specific equipment requirements, these varied with the truck models, and the emblems could be ordered.

Camper wiring and aux tanks might indicate it was used a camper carrier but have no bearing on if a truck was or was not a "Custom Camper". A SPID or a build sheet are going to be the only way to verify a factory Z84 truck.
Off topic, but...

Hey Tim... welcome back!!!

Jim
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #32
special-K
Special Order

Welcome back,Tim. I might have missed it but,although GM did call them Custom Camper in 66-72,some SPIDs are printed with Special Camper(1st pic) and others with Camper Nameplate. All '72s I've seen have Custom Camper Equip typed on the SPID. Here's one I've pondered. Can anyone offer anything on these emblems (2nd pic)? They say the GMC version of the Longhorn was called Custom Camper,although none had any type of badge. This always confused me,since any 2500-3500 could have the Custom Camper option. So,if you had a 133" Wideside with Custom Camper option you had a Custom Camper Custom Camper and your buddy's 127" is a Custom Camper. Let's not get into adding a trim level in (1969 Super Custom Custom Camper Custom Camper). < Please leave that one original or we'd have a custom 1969 Super Cus... So,what did my 3500 Custom Camper badges come on? I've never seen any GMCs with Custom Camper fender badges.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #33
SS Tim

Tim, Its true the verbage on the SPID is often a little off from the sales name of an option. It still comes back to what I have said all along the RPO number is what you need to concentrate on. There was too much variation between plants and years much less running changes to give an absolute on a SPID descriptions.

As to your badge there, that is a very interesting find. Not sure what they came off of or year. They may have been intended for a Custom or Super Custom with Z81. Possibly a deconfliction measure like Chevy did in 72 to have both trim level and Custom Camper emblems. Any numbers on the backside?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #34
special-K
Special Order

Yep,all about the code. It's fairly common to see Sierra Grande on the SPID,yet are Z84 Sierras. I found an all original '71 Cheyenne Super a couple months ago with Z84 listed as the code. So,sometimes it's the code that's incorrect. This was a true Cheyenne Super with chrome tailgate handle and w/g dash pieces.

I'll get back with the numbers. I had run this past Longhorn Man and we came up blank. These will go on my '72 once I put the HO52/Dana 60 under it. Once I ever restored it I'll probably go with these other badges,because they are so "mint",and put the door scripts back on
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #35
SS Tim

Nice badge there Tim, I'm guessing it came off of a base 6cyl truck.

Again there are a lot of variations even with the RPO codes and useage. The 71 Cheyenne Supers are often found with both Z84 and YE9. IIRC one early build Fremont truck had Z84 on the SPID but both Z84 and YE9 on the build sheet. St Louis has always seemed to have more variation than most plants when it came to SPIDs.