The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #26
Dan in Pasadena

Re: 1956 Chevrolet 3600 Project - Pictures

Tim, Why does the DMV have to "weigh & inspect" it? Is it because its not been licensed in a long time? I get inspecting, but why weighing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #27
Daleo56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Tim, Why does the DMV have to "weigh & inspect" it? Is it because its not been licensed in a long time? I get inspecting, but why weighing?
Posted via Mobile Device
The truck had not been registered since 1995 and it must have the VIN plate and basic structure of the truck inspected at the DMV, AAA or a CHP location. I took them a picture of the truck and the supervisor said it needed to have a bed, doors and drivetrain in it to be inspected. We tried to counter argue but to no avail however they did say it did not need to be running.

Also, because trucks are considered "commercial" here in California it needs to be weighed for GVWR. It can be done at any public scale so I just need to trailer it down there once I get the rest of it put together. I am hoping I am done with the last of the larger items and can get this registered next week.

Not bad for about 15 hours of total work with the wife and I over the last week.

Daleo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #28
Dan in Pasadena

My truck was more complete than yours but it had not been registered from '91 to 2010 when the guy I bought it from registered it. The VIN plate WAS in place so maybe(?) that's why he didn't have to have it inspected?

Also, trucks don't HAVE to be licensed as "commercial" in CA. If you put a shell or hard tonneau on it you can license it as a car and avoid the commercial fees. Not that this helps you much as you intend to use it as a shop truck. I only know this because I have an
'08 Crew Dually 4x4 with HUUGE registration fees and the AAA guy counter guy told me. Of course why does anyone have a dually except to carry heavy stuff? I told him thanks but no thanks.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #29
Kim57

I had mine inspected by a private company. It was basically a person who was licensed by the Ca. DMV. She came to the house and made sure all the numbers matched.
Cost around a $100 but made it easy when I went to the DMV.
Kim
Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #30
SCHRUMGMC

Can I get mine inspected if I don't have a wood bed in there and its just plywood?, it drives etc
Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #31
Daleo56

I contacted a So Cal company and they wanted $3 a mile to inspect it for a 90 mile round trip. I thought about it and it was too much at the time. After my wife went to the DMV last week and asked a bunch of questions we realized it was not too hard to do ourselves. We will end up saving the $270+ their fees on this whole thing and learn how to do it ourselves.

Not sure about NC laws but I doubt they care about the inside of the bed.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #32
SCHRUMGMC

Why would they do a 90 mile Round Trip ?
What would happen, if they don't know how to Drive it..Is it a 3 speed Column ?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #33
Daleo56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC View Post
Why would they do a 90 mile Round Trip ?
What would happen, if they don't know how to Drive it..Is it a 3 speed Column ?
The truck is not running and started a few weeks ago just as a shell of a truck. To register here in California an official agency must inspect the VIN plate to verify it is original and matches the type of vehicle. To save me the hassle of loading it on a trailer and driving to the DMV there are companies here that are allowed to verify the VIN. If they were closer it would be worth it but the prices range from $150 to $270 for mileage alone so I will use my trailer.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #34
Kim57

I don't have a trailer and to rent one is a minimum of $60 so it was an easy decision for me to have it inspected at my house.
I did have to get one to take it to get weighed though.
Kim
Old 05-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #35
Daleo56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
I don't have a trailer and to rent one is a minimum of $60 so it was an easy decision for me to have it inspected at my house.
I did have to get one to take it to get weighed though.
Kim
How long after you registered it did you wait until you weighed it? I wrestled with the thought of a mobile service but I am hoping I can get it weighed and inspected on the same day so I only have to trailer it around once!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #36
18tahoe

Tim the colume is yours and we can do it during HAN
18tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #37
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Daleo56,

I went through the weight and inspection thing. What I did was I slap the truck together engine,trans, all sheetmetal, with no glass or fluids and had it towed down to one of those big commercial truck stations the tow guy took that truck of the tow truck and waited until it was weighted and loaded it back up and took me home. I think he charged me 100 bucks but I gave him a tip.

I had a mobile vin verifier come to the house and verified the vin. I took all that down to AAA and was done. The vin verifier charged me something like 70 bucks and he came out from Simi Valley so once again I tipped him for the travel and hooked him up with a neighbor who also need a vin verified.

Last edited by Kabwe; 05-06-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #38
SCHRUMGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleo56 View Post
The truck is not running and started a few weeks ago just as a shell of a truck. To register here in California an official agency must inspect the VIN plate to verify it is original and matches the type of vehicle. To save me the hassle of loading it on a trailer and driving to the DMV there are companies here that are allowed to verify the VIN. If they were closer it would be worth it but the prices range from $150 to $270 for mileage alone so I will use my trailer.
Oh alright, I would figure mine would be able to be inspected..I just got to put the Glass in
Old 05-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #39
Kim57

Quote:
How long after you registered it did you wait until you weighed it? I wrestled with the thought of a mobile service but I am hoping I can get it weighed and inspected on the same day so I only have to trailer it around once!
I had it weighed and the VIN verified before I went to the DMV.
Like Kabwe I had it together with no fluids and missing a few parts.
Made an appointment at the DMV and spent less than 10 minutes in the building.
Kim
Old 05-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #40
Daleo56

It sounds like the rates went up. That Michael guy from Vin Verifiers wanted $150 and Quickplates.net wanted $335 for the whole thing. PLUS, I would still have to trailer it to get it weighed. My wife and I finally have our routine down with the old trailer and the winch!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #41
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
It sounds like the rates went up. That Michael guy from Vin Verifiers wanted $150 and Quickplates.net wanted $335 for the whole thing. PLUS, I would still have to trailer it to get it weighed. My wife and I finally have our routine down with the old trailer and the winch!
Yeah Michael is who I used so yes he went up. My buddy BCToyBox had is done by Michael also and that was like a couple of months ago. I just got off the phone with him and he told me he paid like 100 or 120 bucks but he is not sure because he also give him a tip.

As far as a weight man you have a trailer take that thing down to one of the commercial stations with some buddies.lol Push it on the scale (The one I went to is just is even with the ground) have it weight and push it back on the trailer and go home.lol I don't remember the exact cost but it was no more than 70 bucks to have my truck weighted.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #42
18tahoe

I did the truck a few years ago but all I did was get the paper work from the DMV and had a local police officer come by and check the VIN and sign the paper work, DMV was fine with this and it cost me nothing, unless things have changed since then.
18tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #43
SCHRUMGMC

I noticed your Gas tank is missing, Where can I buy them Holder joint things ?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #44
Daleo56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC View Post
I noticed your Gas tank is missing, Where can I buy them Holder joint things ?
I think the closest truck place to you would be:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ca/full.aspx?Page=83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18tahoe View Post
I did the truck a few years ago but all I did was get the paper work from the DMV and had a local police officer come by and check the VIN and sign the paper work, DMV was fine with this and it cost me nothing, unless things have changed since then.
I will check with my city and see if I they would do that.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #45
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18tahoe View Post
I was going to use the police for mine but they wanted more money than the VIN verifier I used.
Kim
Old 05-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #46
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
I was going to use the police for mine but they wanted more money than the VIN verifier I used.
Kim
Yes, that was also true when I did mine.

By the way AAA does vehicle verifications also, at least the one I go to does. I like dealing with them more so then the DMV, man the DMV's near me lines are just too long.lol
Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #47
Daleo56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Yes, that was also true when I did mine.

By the way AAA does vehicle verifications also, at least the one I go to does. I like dealing with them more so then the DMV, man the DMV's near me lines are just too long.lol
Yeah BAM, I am with you on the AAA thing. Now that it is looking more like a complete truck I am going to take it to AAA next week on the trailer. I will also get it weighed since the wife and my friend Chris and I dropped in the 265 and the TH350 long shaft on Sunday.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #48
dicer

VIN, actual vins came into being in about 1980 or so. These trucks don't have a true vin. And if an unknowing inspector checks the number on the frame against the one on the A pillar, he is going to see they do not match. Well sorta. The number on the frame will not have the series designation, because unlike the computer days of now, they stamped the frame with everything except because they were not sure if it was going to be a pickup or something else, panel, suburban etc. when it got to the end of the line.
Anyway was told that story by someone. Either way they don't match, and an inspector may complain about it if they are not familiar with this old stuff. So the number on the A pillar plate will always have at least 4 more charaters than the one on the frame, and yes the frame numbers will match or better match whats on the plate.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #49
Daleo56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicer View Post
VIN, actual vins came into being in about 1980 or so. These trucks don't have a true vin. And if an unknowing inspector checks the number on the frame against the one on the A pillar, he is going to see they do not match. Well sorta. The number on the frame will not have the series designation, because unlike the computer days of now, they stamped the frame with everything except because they were not sure if it was going to be a pickup or something else, panel, suburban etc. when it got to the end of the line.
Anyway was told that story by someone. Either way they don't match, and an inspector may complain about it if they are not familiar with this old stuff. So the number on the A pillar plate will always have at least 4 more charaters than the one on the frame, and yes the frame numbers will match or better match whats on the plate.
I am with you on the VIN story. What I would pay to go back in time and ask just a few questions on the Los Angeles assembly line during 1956! In the bottom picture you can see the 57' truck line in the background and can only image the models the built that day.

I have only had one VIN inspection at AAA and they did not check the frame. Of course it was a 56 car and the frame numbers are not visible anyway. I am sure it will go smoothly but I will take my manual with the VIN decode with me anyway.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #50
Daleo56

After we spent time with my Mom this morning for Mother's Day I went over to the shop install the new hood and temporary grill on the truck while I rebuild the original one. I also got a standard heater and spare tire holder from a local guy from the Stovebolt forums. It has a lot of rust in the shell but I think I can cut part of a car heater as a replacement piece and weld it in.

I had another grille I bought for $50 powder coated in almond, along with the headlight rims and column drop parts, and I will take the verticals from the other grill to make a real nice one.

I also bought some Sage Green rattle can paint from HD to see what it will look like when I paint it.