The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2005, 03:40 PM   #26
sleepyboy
'69 Step

I'm with Gloryhound..My wife would join the "neglected women of truck junkies" association. Why eat at the table when I could have thirty minutes more time in the garage just eating a sandwich out there?
sleepyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:23 PM   #27
7gmc2

ok i got one for you guys. these pictures are the end result of what happend one easter weekend. i think it was about 3 years ago now. it was a saturday afternoon about 3:00 pm. she was had just left to go to work. about 4 min. later i got a phone call from her in hysterics and crying . we live in the country and she said that a firetruck was over on her side of the road at the crest of a hill. she swerved and then overcorrected and went into the ditch. the front of the truck bit into the bank and the truck went back over front. she climbed out the driver side door window and called me. truck ran upside down till gravity took over and no more gas. she was fine with only some bruiseing. she was wearing a seatbelt. truck was still able to run, and started on first crank! not bad considering it had 196,000 miles on it! parted it out after that.....no, in case you were wondering i wasn't mad. it could have been alot worse!
Attached Images

Last edited by 7gmc2; 05-17-2005 at 04:24 PM.
7gmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:26 PM   #28
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

That is one lucky woman!
Old 05-18-2005, 05:37 AM   #29
4x4Poet

Man-O-man. Looks like angels held up just the part she needed to survive.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:42 AM   #30
GMC AMI

What ever you do do not let them take a 800 mile round trip all by themselves.
They will bond with your truck and you have to take a prybar to get them back out, LOL!
Old 05-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #31
71HUGGER396
Confirmed Truckaholic

My wife really doesn't have any feelings for my truck one way or the other. She doesn't understand all the looks and the people(guys and women) that walk over and look at it and say nice things about it. She say's "it's JUST an OLD truck" The kid's on the other hand, 8 and 5, LOVE the truck, they want to take it everywhere!!!!! Their #1 thing that's cool about the truck, you have to crank the windows down by hand. LOL
1971 2wd fleet shorty, 454, 700r4, 3.73 posi, SOLD to 67OLDSTYLE72
"My rig's a little old but that don't mean she's slow" - SAWYER BROWN's Six Days On The Road

SEMPER FI "I use to be a lean mean fighting machine, but now I'm a huffin, puffin, over stuffin love muffin"
71HUGGER396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:57 AM   #32
jfrank133
AUSTIN TX

I have never let my wife drive my 1970 standard truck only reason was because she does not know how to drive a standard. The first time that I let her use it was the time that she was just going to reverse the truck a little back to get the garage door open. I was in the kitchen eating when i heard a big Bannngg in the garage, I ran the front door and saw the front end of the truck inside the garage, and the only thing she had to say to me was OOOOPPPSSS. Needless to say is when she started the truck she forgot to press the clutch. She has never again sat on the driver side.
jfrank133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:25 PM   #33
GMC AMI

Yea jfrank, that's why GM went to the clutch safety starting switch. LOL, glad no one was hurt!
Old 05-18-2005, 11:18 PM   #34
mr402

I'm likely going to be dead meat from writing this one down. A few years ago I went on a camping trip out to the coast. I used my wife’s car since a 1.5 – 2 hour drive in my GMC would eat a lot of gas and her car was a lot more fun on the twisty roads. When I came home my wife was at work. First thing out of my son’s mouth was you gotta call mom. I said fine but I was going to finish unloading and stow all the gear. He said no, you gotta call her now. Fist thing I said was what did she do to my truck! Well, it seems she was backing my truck out of the garage and somehow managed to hook the front bumper of the truck with the rear bumper of my 62 Impala. As an aside note I have the car parked close to the wall of the garage so that kind of thing won’t happen. She couldn’t push the clutch and stop the truck quick enough so she dragged the Impala most of the way out of the garage. Damage was a bent bumper on the truck, hole in the left rear quarter of the Impala, bent rear bumper, scraped the crap out of the right side of the car and tore down the front of the garage.

Naturally all this is my fault since I borrowed her car in the first place. Also, kind natured plug for American Collectors Insurance. They were great, understanding and paid for the repairs no questions asked. They didn’t raise my rates or cancel me either. Terrific company (unlike Allstate which is a much nastier story that has yet to end).
Old 05-19-2005, 12:27 AM   #35
HerLonghorn71
Account Suspended

HE'S not allowed to drive my truck .....cause it is MINE!!He has his own he can drive!
HerLonghorn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:51 AM   #36
diggerbob

I'm sewww stupid...

I have a vibration in my truck that I have been tryin' to figure out. Last Saturday, I disconnected the U-joint at the diff so that I could jam the shaft flush to the tranny to measure clearance, yada, yada...All of this is going on in my garage which I "thought" had a level floor.

I was sittin' on my butt in the front of the truck looking at my ruler so that I could see where the 1/8th inch marks were before climbing under her to take my measurements. All of a sudden, as I am looking down at the ruler, it occured to me that there was more light in my garage all of a sudden. I casually looked up towards the garage door opening just in time to see the back tire of Big Red hitting the incline of my driveway.

I couldn't get to the side of my truck till her front bumper had cleared the garage door opening. By the time I got my hand on the door handle, she was halfway down the driveway and gaining speed. I got the door open and tried to reverse my momentum to hop my skinny a** in the seat but alas, next thing I knew I was on my back looking up at the underside of the door passing over me. I sure was glad to see that front left tire was gonna miss my noggin.

By the time, I got the birds and bells to stop flying around my head, Big Red had taken out my mail box and rolled out into the street. She stopped when her momentum gave out going up the street and then tried to roll back down the street. The smushed-up mailbox that was wedged up under her right back tire finally put an end to her little misadventure (praise God!).

Ever notice how all your neighbors show up when you do something that is just so unbelievably stupid? Why can't they just keep on washin' their cars, cutting their grass or whatever, and pretend not to notice? I didn't need the whole danged 'hood to help me get my truck back over to the curb. I hope and pray that that wasn't my 10 seconds of fame...
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:13 AM   #37
diggerbob

oops, I forgot to mention the lil' missy's part in this

Lil' Miss Jan (my girl) was in the house and heard me hollerin' at the truck when it started rolling down the drive. She came outside just in time to join the crowd of neighbors out in the street. I think sometimes she hates my truck. She used to love it when it was an old rust bucket. Now that it's frame-off is done and is all pretty, Miss Jan doesn't care for it at all. Is there a group therapy forum on this site somewhere?
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:20 AM   #38
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerLonghorn71
HE'S not allowed to drive my truck .....cause it is MINE!!He has his own he can drive!
Hehehe. Longhorn71 got told.

(Great stories. My sides hurt over the front-ended deer and I cried over the 62 impala. )
Old 05-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #39
67-Cowboy

Husband support group !!!

Well guys I was once the Overhead* Garage Door man and after many years of frantic wives emergency phone calls I could literally write a book or sell the info to Foxworthy for his Blue Collar Tour. But sad thing is I have my own stories to tell like "The DisappearingClutch"! When my X and I got together I had a cherry all original '67 mustang 289 w/under the dash factory air that was the nicest car I had ever own excluding my trucks of course. But she hated what she called that ugly old car so I traded it for a nice new "80 C-10 with 3 speed on the columb and a really nice '71 Chevelle... any way she loved the truck but hadn't driven manual in a while so after about a week she had an emergency and ran and jumped in the truck by her self. On her way home she comes flying off the Interstate and as she goes past the YEILD sign she dumps the clutch with it in 1rst gear and after A-LOT OF NOISE it rolls to a stop 3/4 of a mile down the road. She calls me from the neighbor's and says," I think the truck needs an adjustment or something. Anyway before I put the 350 turbo in I put the center spline peice in the top of my tool box as a reminder of all that was left of my clutch disc besides a lot of grey looking dirt in the bell housing !!!!!!! A month larter she called me and said, "the hood wouldn't close"; when I ask," why" she said, "cause it's bent up at the back". When I ask, "how did that happen" she said," I think I didn't shut it good enough" because it folded over backward and broke the windshield going down the Interstate at 80 mph !!!!!!!
67-Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:11 PM   #40
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

I've had my truck nearly 10 years and my wife has never drive it. No power brakes = not many girls can make it stop.

Founding member of the No Money To Spend On My Truck Club.

When your at Home Depot, you WISH you had gotten an 8 foot bed!
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:07 PM   #41
68Stepbed

I've got tears reading these storys.

I've got to say my wife is a good driver. She can literally drive anything. This story is a bit odd though. My truck was a 250/3sp manual with 3.73 rear gears when I got it. Well, you guys know that 65-70 mph is kind-of pushing it with those low revving bangers. One day we were going to a show and I was driving my dad's 53 PU (60 mph tops) she was driving mine. We're going up the highway abbout 55 or 60 when all of a sudden I hear my truck accelerate. She just ran off and left me. When she finally slowed down and we stopped she asked me if my truck vibrated real bad when going fast. I asked in horror "How fast?". "About 90" I didn't know that truck would even go that fast! Thank God for those bulletproof stovebolts. My 350 probably wouldn't have held together that good.

Now she follows me when we go together.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:38 PM   #42
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

i had my 250 up to 90 all the time. granted it was always in the same spot on the freeway that was down hill and with a tail wind

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 04:12 AM   #43
R@nger
Psalm 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68w/sbc406
i had my 250 up to 90 all the time. granted it was always in the same spot on the freeway that was down hill and with a tail wind
ROFL!

That would look scary to see one of these old trucks going that fast.

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy
R@nger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 05:40 AM   #44
GMC AMI

I have had my 2wd speedo meter on the H on the MPH and it was not scary. Ask Longhornman he had his to the P and he took a PIC doing it, now that would be scary! LOL

Catfuzz, some of the trucks I have seen, you can stop via The Flintstone method, LOL.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:26 AM   #45
woodridge

My dad bought a 71 short step 4x4 GMC in 73 with 13k on the clock. He decided to try to improve the gas mileage so a set of 12.5:1's were installed, no other changes. I started driving the next year and soon discovered it would run 105, in 2nd, never could get to top out in 3rd (to many curvy roads), 17's and 85 in the quarter after launching in low range and grabbing high when wound out in 2nd.
Yes we still have the truck, it belongs to my oldest son now.
woodridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:16 AM   #46
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

What's 12.5:1?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:18 AM   #47
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

im thinkin thats a rear gear ratio, but would also like to know more

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:51 AM   #48
woodridge

Well I knew what I was talking about but it didn't read well did it.
I was talking about pistons. Sorry
woodridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 04:42 PM   #49
cableguy0

mines been 5500rpm in third gear with a th350 a 30 inch tire and 3.07 gears. that was moving all the dotted lines were completely solid
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 12:18 AM   #50
mr402

Back in my teen years I used to live on a road that was straight for miles. House was a little over a mile off the main road. I used to "put it to the wood" and hold it until it came time to back it down to pull in the drive way. A friend of mine with a 70 Torino w/429 SCJ claimed we were going 130. Truck was a 402 1/2T with 3.08 gears. I won't vouch for the accuracy of his speedometer but it was dang fast. Naturally being a kid it didn't bother me at all. Now adays there's no way I would take a truck that fast on 2 lane rural road (or any where else for that matter). What's amazing is that I lived to tell about it.