The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #26
JUSBLAZ

Re: Project "BLACKOUT"

After we had it blasted it went back to the painter where it was etched and epoxy primed. Once that was finished I took it home to install the lift kit, which I purchased from a local truck shop trying to give the local guy my business. (SPORT TRUCK) This ended up being nothing but a headache. When I ordered this kit I asked for all new hardware so I would not have to deal with weak rusty bolts. But once I started on the install I found that they had given me the wrong U bolts. They told me that my truck was not standard and I would have to buy the correct ones. That didn’t set well with me, because I told them the exact set up I needed. After I had the back ones installed I started on the front, and they seemed a little tight. I called them to find out if these were the right ones, and they told me they were. So I called Skyjacker and gave them the numbers, and was told they were for a blazer in the eighties. Now I’m pissed cause I have to swap them and during that time they moved more than hour away. Needless to say I will never use them anymore.

These pictures are from the first install.
Attached Images

JUSBLAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #27
JUSBLAZ

Oh by the way, what is this bracket for?
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2007, 06:10 AM   #28
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSBLAZ View Post
Oh by the way, what is this bracket for?
I've read that the factory put it there in case the leaf spring failed somehow it will not go any where. Should be one up front also, I don't think they are on the pass. side, mine doesn't. Can't see how this works, really nice progress BTW. enjoying your thread.... J.

Nice touch on notching the 6x6, wood is a great brake on steel. I use it all the time when I have to move machines around at work.

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 06-12-2007 at 06:16 AM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:27 AM   #29
vtblazer

I can smell it from here...this project reeks of quality.

Keep the pics coming.

Agree with Jaros44, no need for the bracket any more.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:42 AM   #30
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
I can smell it from here...this project reeks of quality.

Keep the pics coming.

Agree with Jaros44, no need for the bracket any more.
Yeah, that scent came thru Philly first, before heading up north, sorta like a 'EastNorther'...

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 06-12-2007, 09:29 AM   #31
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

Lookin' awesome. I want a Arizona blazer...lol... Workin' with no rust, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.... Whats the plans for wheels and tires? Some 18s and 40s would look killer.....

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #32
70rs/ss

Guys our AZ Blazers are here, I have one. I think a nice rust free Blazer can be had for like $5-6k, I know that sounds steep, but figure the time, effort and materials to fix one and the $5-6k buy in is actually a steal!! Mine will be up for sale (Well it is now in my siggy) but I need to finish a couple of things. This one is nicer in the unmolested way that some of you easterners drool about. I like it, the lift is a big one, any thoughts on 3/4ton or 1-ton axles to keep the monsters tires on it?
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #33
JUSBLAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44 View Post
the factory put it there in case the leaf spring failed somehow it will not go any where. Should be one up front also, I don't think they are on the pass. side

I still don't understand what the thought was behind it. Like you said there isn't one on the pass side. So what good is it if it is only on one side?

Also I don't think I had anything in the front of the spring. Notice how tight the spring is against that bracket. Its causing the driver side leaf to bow out.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #34
JUSBLAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
Whats the plans for wheels and tires?
Not sure if I will go with the classic MT bead lock wheels, or something new school. There are a couple I really like.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #35
JUSBLAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
the unmolested way that some of you easterners drool about. I like it, the lift is a big one, any thoughts on 3/4ton or 1-ton axles to keep the monsters tires on it?
Your right! I looked for a long time for this one, and around here all you get is rusty ones. I'm not knocking the guys that take on those challenges (my hats off to them), but my problem is time.

As for the axles... I took it to a friends shop and had them completly go thru them. Had them put Eaton diffs front & back change the gears to 4:56 and change all bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, rotors so that once I paint the frame I won't have to foul it up later. (plus the peace of mind)
Old 06-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #36
1969k10stepside

The front springs are going to hit the frame and/or that bracket if them are not 67-72 style springs.73-87 springs are longer so if you have them,they will hit the frame.The bracket is on the drivers side of the frame and on the front spring hanger there is metal welded to the hanger.Most of the time when a lift kit is added,the metal gets in the way of the spring and the people cut off the metal.

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 06-12-2007 at 04:11 PM.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #37
jaros44sr

Quote:
I still don't understand what the thought was behind it. Like you said there isn't one on the pass side. So what good is it if it is only on one side?

Also I don't think I had anything in the front of the spring. Notice how tight the spring is against that bracket. Its causing the driver side leaf to bow out.
Yeah, I saw the bow, but I thought you were missing one of those leaf spring clips. Maybe it was new technology back then and they didn't want to impale the driver with a leaf spring, 50 50 shot on not having a passenger, since you could order it without a seat..... J.

You should have one in the front as well, unless someone took it off

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 06-12-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:49 PM   #38
JUSBLAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969k10stepside View Post
The front springs are going to hit the frame and/or that bracket if them are not 67-72 style springs.
Your right thats what I kept telling the place I bought them from. Thats even without the engine and driveline.

So here are the pictures of them back off the truck to get replaced. Went alot easier the second time.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #39
JUSBLAZ

And here she is loaded up and going back to the painter.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #40
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Looks good keep up the good work..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:50 PM   #41
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

That looks awesome! I can't wait until mine is that close...7 or 8 years I'm thinking.

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:55 AM   #42
swyfor5

I agree, looks real good. Keep up the hard work. Hey chevyman63, 7 or 8 years? You must be dealing with major rust issues also. I can only hope to have mine done that soon. I bought my k5 in Utah, but I don't have any history before I bought it. At least I've started hoarding parts for the build, I've been doing that for some time! Anyway, nice project Jusblaz!
swyfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #43
JUSBLAZ

Well due to summer projects and vacations I haven't had the time to update the thread, but have enjoyed reading others.

These are the last few pictures that bring the project up to its current state. Here is where we are mocking up the front clip and the top.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #44
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Good to see the progress - gonna be sweet!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:03 PM   #45
mkundo

I've enjoyed your blog. You see I'm working on a build similar to yours. I have decided to have a professional like Kevin build my blazer (Project Traser).
Nice work.
Dan
Old 08-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #46
Burt4x4

Quote:

Hey guys I can help with this one.
In 1969 there was a factory recall on the Blazer. Aparently the eye bolt on the front driver side springpack had busted on several Blazers and caused the driver to loose control of the truck.
Years ago on an old site blazer-net.com one of the 1969 Blazer owners had the actual letter from GM and he posted a picture of it..kick myself for not saving it.
So the strap on the front of the eye and the stop at the rear are both from that recall/fix GM implemented after the 1969 model. The idea from GM is that the springpack would get 'trapped' inbetween the two and alow the driver to not loose total control of the truck. I seam to recall the eye bolt was increased in size also...

Anyway back on topic!
Nice build up for sure!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #47
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
Hey guys I can help with this one.
In 1969 there was a factory recall on the Blazer. Aparently the eye bolt on the front driver side springpack had busted on several Blazers and caused the driver to loose control of the truck.
Years ago on an old site blazer-net.com one of the 1969 Blazer owners had the actual letter from GM and he posted a picture of it..kick myself for not saving it.
So the strap on the front of the eye and the stop at the rear are both from that recall/fix GM implemented after the 1969 model. The idea from GM is that the springpack would get 'trapped' inbetween the two and alow the driver to not loose total control of the truck. I seam to recall the eye bolt was increased in size also...

Anyway back on topic!
Nice build up for sure!
Yep, In the first pic of post 39 you can see the cover at the front of the leaf spring. That's why we can see red bushings on the passenger side but we can't on the drivers side. I didn't know it was a recall but I had read it was so the driver wouldn't lose control of the vehicle if the spring/bolt broke. They don't have it on the passenger side due to the steering box and steering arm being on the drivers side.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #48
JUSBLAZ

Ahhh That makes sense, now I understand why in post #37 he said "I should have one in front" I never would have guessed.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #49
Matt72blaze

figured i'd bring this one back to the top...

hey man, what/who's springs are those? did you have to modify the front brackets of the front springs any?

nice lookin' btw!

matt

1986 3+3 Dually
Matt72blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #50
JUSBLAZ

Well "Project Blackout" is back in action, after lightning striking our house back in August and pretty much frying everything electronic in the house. I am now able to move on. Thank God nothing happen to my family, house, or blazer, everything else can be replaced. It just put me back a little on schedule.

To answer you question Matt... The springs are from SkyJacker and didn't have to do anything to the front bracket.