The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #26
butzkeg

Re: Troubleshoot / Diagnostic help?

The problem I had was similar. My old alternator would test ok, and new external voltage regulators wouldn't last that long. In short story, I ended up switching to an internally regulated alternator. It has worked great since.

I'll never know if it was the alternator, wiring, faulty regulators, or what, but it doen't matter anymore.

It's an easy fix anyway.
butzkeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #27
RckyMntnKng

Sounds like a good plan to me....

Did you just buy an alternator from a newer model that was internal? Like a 78 or similar?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:34 AM   #28
butzkeg

I believe I went with one from an earlier 80's Camaro. It's probably the same for many models. Here's the link on how to do the install.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=119379
butzkeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #29
RckyMntnKng

Much appreciated. that will be my next step.
Too bad the pics dont show up....
Old 06-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #30
jcfoote60

Bummer to hear about the Jimmy Josh! Electrical problems can suck, escpecially with this old of truck. You know before you get too far down the road with parts and/or repair shops, you may want to consider buying a Painless Wiring kit. I get mine from Summit, in fact just got one from them for $350.00 for my project blazer. Its the 18 circuit model 10206 I believe. Anyway on my 72 shortbox when I first bought it I would be going down the road, hit a bump and the lights would go out then come back on, I would leave it set for a few days and walla...dead battery...but not all the time only sometimes. then one taillight was dimmer than the other, one blinker slower than the other direction...so when I did my partial restore on it I bought a Painless Wiring harness and re-did it from stem to stern concentrating on good grounds (they instruct you on how to do this). each wire is clearly marked and it has step by step instructions. In my opinon it's well worth the time and money. Afterwards all of my weird electrical problems were gone, the lights all shined as they should (nice and bright). Oh and before my stereo had alternator whine from ground loops. After Painless..not a whine and it was perfect. There is good info on the sight for painless info. Check the FAQ's and do searches.

Jim
jcfoote60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #31
jcfoote60

Here is a good link to someone needing wiring help

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=painless
jcfoote60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:32 PM   #32
RckyMntnKng

James,

Thanks for the link and good info.

Im on board with your theory that good wiring is huge....im definately going to go that route.....Painless wiring kit

No worries, I enjoying working on her....thats half the fun for me.

Everyday my son follows me out to sit in the seat and honk the horn and yells "vroom" "vroom"...I tell him its his truck and he can have the keys when he's 16.