The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #26
Simonstrucker
Big Block Short Bed Stepside

Re: Hit and run

First of all Sorry about the truck. Now lets get to work take more pic of the damage to the truck at the cab area for your own refrence and post them here as I might be able to tell you what type of vehicale it cam from . I would not move the truck unless you really have to because the insurance company will ned to do their own investigation and would like to take Pics to use if you do find the sob. Keep the broken parts of the car or mini truck that hit you the can use it to match the parts on the vehicale in question. Do get in contact with all law inforcement that you can check your state laws if the Locals won't help. Be as well informed as you can will go a long way and say you a lot of time and money. Let me know what you find out as I use to do CSI work and this just would not fly with me or the law.
Simonstrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #27
Cyclone44
Step Brother

In my state you have to prove the owner of the car was driving it at the time you were hit, Now how many people snap a picture right after being plowed into by some low life??? So who do the laws protect, That's not hard to figure out..I hope it works out for you......George
Cyclone44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:08 AM   #28
BAM71

We have pieced together some of the broken headlight remains and found out it was off of a Ford possibly a Taurus. We have been driving the neighborhood looking for the car but with no luck. I hop to get more picture of the damage and of the inner fender that was left behind to see if someone here can help id it.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #29
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseDale3and8 View Post
I agree, It's likely going to be one or the other. One other possibility is that it could have been some young kid that just got his drivers license, and got scared and ran after he ran into the truck. It really is a shame that people don't take responsibility for their actions these days. They make it much worse on both parties involved when they run, and eventually get caught.
Hit and runs suck. I had three happen to me at college. I had an '86 Toyota truck that was hit twice! The first time I bent the bumper back, the second I had to replace the bumper.

The third time... they hit my 67 It bent the bumper and nicked the fender. This was years ago, it's all fixed now
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #30
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

The very first day I drove my truck to school (not this one.. lol .. the 64 F*rd I had in HS) I cut too sharply backing out and hooked the bumper of the 66 GTO parked beside me...

I left a detailed note and spent a couple months paying for the repair ...

I never imagined that just leaving was an option -- why do people think it is?
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #31
splatrd

2:00 In the afternoon? Sounds to me more likely to be a teenager getting out of school and driving way to fast for the rainy conditions. Most likely driving their parents car. I agree with a lot of the others about searching thru the neighbohoods in the area. Look closely at the pieces from the headlights, it may give you a clue as to the make of vehicle, many manufacturers have a logo molded into the plastic housings.
1978 El Camino SS, LT1 swap
2016 Camaro SS
splatrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #32
michael bustamante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
They never do that here.....It doesn't rain!
s/t
too true. but we got a hell of an infestation of nu-speeders. I love pulling up along side em and roaring my flowmasters. now if it was a rear wheel drive veh that hit the truck then that eliminates honda type cars
Old 10-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #33
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone44 View Post
In my state you have to prove the owner of the car was driving it at the time you were hit, Now how many people snap a picture right after being plowed into by some low life??? So who do the laws protect, That's not hard to figure out..I hope it works out for you......George
The hole through the windshield and in the guys head should be obvious….
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #34
bowtieboy93

I would chip off a piece of paint from the truck and go to local body shops to see if they show up, and leave them ur number. That way if they come to a body shop to fix it they will have color of the truck to match the bumper of the other car and then chances are you found them.
1991 GMC Sonoma, IROCS s10 grill
1963 Ford Galaxie 351/C4
bowtieboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #35
The Big Green

I know that truck...I have seen it out before. I have never talked to the guy before but isn't he a really tall skinny guy with dark hair and under the hood is painted white? That really sucks it was a really nice truck. If you findout who did this and the cops wont do anything, I'm sure some of us guys around could handle it...lol.
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:42 PM   #36
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

When C.S.I. gets something like the pieces of a headlight, they can tell what year model it was, what color it was and who was driving. Send the pieces to CBS and let them figure it out.

Knowing how things are here in Arkansas, just because a vehicle has a broken headlight, doesn't mean any of our cops will pull it over to ask questions much less wonder how it got broken and if it was involved in a hit and run. Yeah,, it sucks. But, we don't have state vehicle inspections anymore and it don't matter how Bubba drives or what he drives as long as he ain't haulin' a meth lab in the bed of the truck.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 10-31-2007 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Can't spell
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:02 PM   #37
blue 71

Smile Re: Hit and run

blue 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:05 PM   #38
jay6891
Car Knocker

68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #39
71tahoe

I've got to chime in on the private property thing too. Wasn't there another crime than a moving vehicular violation? Didn't someone do damage to personal property? Isn't that felony criminal mischief at the least? It does sound like Barney doesn't want to do anything!

BTW I just had a claim on uninsured motorist for a parking lot stripe. Someone backed out and almost hooked the bumper in the rear wheel opening on my Suburban. Caved in the rear quarter pretty good. Hadn't even made the first payment! I was only out $200 for about $800-$900 worth of damage. This was at the school so the SRO made out a report for the insurance company. Not sure if you have the same options or not but something to think about.

That's my positive spin, I really hope they find the other driver and throw him/her under the jail.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:46 PM   #40
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

No vehicle inspections!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
When C.S.I. gets something like the pieces of a headlight, they can tell what year model it was, what color it was and who was driving. Send the pieces to CBS and let them figure it out.

Knowing how things are here in Arkansas, just because a vehicle has a broken headlight, doesn't mean any of our cops will pull it over to ask questions much less wonder how it got broken and if it was involved in a hit and run. Yeah,, it sucks. But, we don't have state vehicle inspections anymore and it don't matter how Bubba drives or what he drives as long as he ain't haulin' a meth lab in the bed of the truck.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 PM   #41
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

Man that is a real shame, not much to add as far as advice, just chiming in to say that stinks.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #42
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
No vehicle inspections!?
There's plenty of places with no inspections
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:49 AM   #43
71tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
No vehicle inspections!?
No inspections but like ChevLoRay said, they will pull you over for anything if they suspect drugs. The stuff that used to be inspectable is a ticket so the police can pull you over for that and then search the car and occupants. I think the most popular here in Jonesboro is license not illuminated.

Last edited by 71tahoe; 11-01-2007 at 07:50 AM.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #44
boydston69c

Cool Hit and run

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback! That's my smashed 69'...and I'm the "tall skinny guy" that drives it!lol
I'v done some investigating of my own and found out that what hit me was a 1996 model either ford taurus or mercury sable, due to the numbers i recovered from the headlight. Both the taurus and the sable use the same headlight part number for the 96 models, but we DEFFINATELY know it was one or the other, and probably white. The body shops aren't wanting to help much, so I may have to be a little more rude with them. The cops have told me point blank, that even though I have this new information they DO NOT plan on investigating any further because they "don't have a deffinate vehicle description or a credible witness"...man, gotta love the fuzz.
Anyways, keep the feedback coming, thanks yall!!!
I got little chevy bowties running through my blood, bite me FORD boy!!

Last edited by boydston69c; 11-01-2007 at 11:16 AM.
boydston69c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #45
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I know cops have it hard enough as it is, but WE do pay their salary

Good luck on finding the culprits!

*SC doesn't have any inspections of any kind either.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:46 AM   #46
Luvlegs

If you develop enough information to confirm the vehicle involved, call the District Attorneys office and tell them the situation - chances are, they'll call the pd and send them to see you. Elected Officials "like to help"... lest it show up in the newspaper!

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #47
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Take what info you have to the Prostituting Attorney's office and maybe you can get a "John Doe" warrant issued to give the fuzz some "fuzz" in looking for white Taurus/Sable vehicles. But you know the odds, right? I'm not surprised that the body shops don't want to get involved. If it was their customer, they don't want to give 'em up. If not, they ain't gettin' any money from the perps. You can't afford to ante-up the bucks needed to "encourage" info from them.

Did you check the school grounds and the college parking lots? Then, it's probably some meth-head mom going to/from one of the schools to pick her kids up. Wouldn't be the first time, huh?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #48
The Big Green

[QUOTE=boydston69c;2425694]Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback! That's my smashed 69'...and I'm the "tall skinny guy" that drives it!lol
QUOTE]

Thats sucks about the ole Chevy I have seen it at a couple shows here and there and seen it out oround town, nice truck and hope you get it back on the road soon because theres not many older Chevy just out cruising around. I think we need more people that can have a nice old truck or car and just drive it. I have been to a couple shows around here but not in the old Chevy its not very much of a looker...yet. I drive a blue Dakota with a HUGE Slimboney Kustomz sticker on the back glass, well atleast for now. Anyways, theres good people here and everyone will help you out with probably just about anything...
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote