The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2008, 02:30 AM   #26
Brent5631

Re: chopped trucks thread!!!

I think that these trucks have the right proportions from the factory. and i think that subtle mods that make the person looking at the vehicle question what was done to it is best. so if you chop the top and don't do anything else it throws it all out of proportion. in saying all that i don't particularly like the look of your truck because the front looks huge. it would look better if you used 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton front end because all of the front sheet metal is smaller. also a truck that is stock with a top chop is still just a stock truck with a top chop. i think to be a custom you have to pull together a certain look that is more than just one mod.
And don't take this personally as it is just my opinion and why should you care what i think.
Brent5631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #27
JohnnyG.

thanks for the reply
JohnnyG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #28
tnblazerk5
User #12137

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper tom View Post
I have been wanting to do the same thing to mine too ![hood]
I need plenty more info and pic's, if you can help that would be great!!
I was thinking of taking about 2'' inthe front of the hood to nothing in the rear.I need to know what kind of problems he had with it and if he had to do any thing to the fire wall in order for it to work??????
opps sorry i forgot i came over to this part of the board
the fire wall has been smoothed but no other mods
the rad suport had to be modified sum (cut the outside corners off )
i dont have a clue how much he took out of the front of the hood
i will try to find out how much he took out of the top and the hood next time i get over there to his place and maybe even get more pics of it
tnblazerk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #29
JohnnyG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper tom View Post
here are a few pic of my chopped 50!

hey how much did you take out of this roof? looks good.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #30
chopper tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG. View Post
hey how much did you take out of this roof? looks good.
I took out 6'' in the rear and 61/2'' in the front.and i cut the bed down 12 1/2 ''over stock short wheel base.the bed looked too long after the chop and now the hood looks too fat ,so i plane on a 2'' pancake in the front .then a repaint with some flames this time and some airbrush work too .
I love this truck its awsome to drive ,but ive been working off and on on it for years and i would love to finnally finish it up !
chopper tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #31
BigJackDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG. View Post
you got the windshield cut yet?
Nope. But I've done the curved glass thing before on my 56 F*rd. My garage is unheated and I have no intentions of not taking advantage of every opportunity for success on the first attempt... plenty of other things on it to work on in the mean time. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #32
stevehsd

I think it's about porportion or balance. Stay away from the attacks or feeling attacked. I like this board because we encourage each other. We aren't purists that only like stock(stovebolt), or Kustomisers that don't like original parts(HAMB) but a nice blend of both. Back to porportion, I think Chevy got it pretty good, but it needs to be lower. That's why mine stays unchopped

If you need it lower then chop, but I think it needs to be porportional. The best chops are the ones that people have to ask, "Is that chopped?" I saw this one in Pleasanton at the Good Guys show, it has no floorboards and cut fenders

This is one of my favorites I saw it at Billetproof in Antioch. It's low it's chopped and you have to say "Is that chopped?"

This one is out of porportion to me

It's all about porportion. Just last weekend my friend picked up one that is chopped and channeled. They channeled it up front where the hindges go, so as to keep the fender mounts. The hood isn't on, but it will need to be pancaked. After seing it, other chops look tall at the bottom to me. Like I said, it's all about porportion or balance.

77 FLH
stevehsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #33
robin58

Well said stevehsd.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:10 AM   #34
chopper tom

I'm sorry but i disagree.I fill like mine is proportioned [to what i like ]
And it not only about the proportions to me i love a heavly chopped rod or custom,and the way it fills when you drive it [to me it fills bad ass ,has a certan toughness to it ,and it makes me fill good when i drive it]and it sets mine apart from the rest of the crowd .
But these are just the way that i fill about it [i wouldnt really want every one to like it anyways cause then evyryone would have chop tops and it wouldnt be special anymore]
And i'm not a show typ of guy ,i really dont like the attention that people give when your there[the comments good or bad just get on my nervs]
and i dont fill that some ones ride has to be perfect or flaw less to have fun and be a part of the scene,as long as there happy with it than im happy with it.
I guess i would rather see people havin some fun instead of being uptight and worring what other people think there ride is acceptable or not.
sorry i didnt mean for this to turn into a rant ,i have just heard so much crap about my chop tops over the years and tired of people trying to tell me how to build my rides ,afer all they are my rides! and i dont take this sport so serious .
chopper tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #35
BigJackDaddy

Stevehsd,

We definitely have different tastes, but you've hit the proverbial nail right on the head.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #36
JohnnyG.

wow pic from paso (RIP), we just sent a truck out of our shop that was chopped 3" and the roof seemed too tall still. when you are going for the look of a mild custom then 3" max. but if youre going for a Kustom then your idea of proportions are different. i think these look top heavy. and by the way, ive been a hamb member since 2005. love that place and actually found my job through there. this site was recomended for my 65 that i have. i was just seeing if anyone on here had pics of chopped trucks. not opinions. please learn to read titles of threads.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 AM   #37
BigJackDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG
i was just seeing if anyone on here had pics of chopped trucks. not opinions. please learn to read titles of threads.
Wow.

I believe the title is, "Chopped Trucks Thread".

A threaded discussion is an electronic discussion (such as one via e-mail, e-mail list, bulletin board, newsgroup, conference or Internet forum) in which the software aids the user by visually grouping messages. Messages are usually grouped visually in a hierarchy by topic. A set of messages grouped in this way is called a topic thread or simply "thread". A discussion forum, e-mail client or news client is said to have "threaded topics" if it groups messages on the same topic together for easy reading in this manner.

Now if I was afraid of other peoples opinions, I wouldn't post pictures of my work in the first place... but that's just me.

I guess just maybe you should have titled it, "Chopped Trucks Pics". Hmm?

FWIW You can view all the pics you want of chopped trucks on google with having to see anyone's $.02

Last edited by BigJackDaddy; 02-15-2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: I need a reason?
BigJackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #38
JohnnyG.

sorry... used to the HAMB... ***edited*** this place. if i had put "chopped truck pics" do you really think i would have gotten a different response? that sounds more like, hey heres pics of my chopped truck i want to be criticized. and heres a good link for everyone into these trucks

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=116075

Last edited by DennyB; 02-19-2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: F-Bomb
Old 02-17-2008, 01:44 AM   #39
robin58

You really need to grow up some particularly if you post regularly on the HAMB. That crowd will dish out their opinions good and bad on anything. Eventually when you mature some you'll realize that everyone has different tastes and seeing as in AMERICA freedom of speach is not only tolerated but highly prized, you should anticipate this when posting pictures of your work.

I've had comments made about work I've done that has not been to other's taste. I did not decide to attack those expressing their opinions nor did I use capitalized letters separated by periods telling the members here to go forth and copulate.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #40
CAL 58 GMC

Okay, now it's time for me to chime in on this one. Personally, I think it's not cool at all to be making some of the rude comment being made about Johnny's ride, weather you like it or not. Sometimes opinions need to be kept to one's self. It's like when you go to a car show and you see a lifted 1987 four door Olds Cutlass on 28in. rims with that bass boat metal flake paint, now to me that's would be an ugly looking car. I'm not going up to the dude that owns it and tell him his ride make's me sick. So in my mind, why should this be any different here? I see stuff on the site that I don't really care for, but I'm not making it a point to make rude comment. I have been a site supporter for just over three years and the one thing I have always enjoyed about this site is the many different cool people who have a passion for Chevy & GMC truck and shearing their project with each other, but not slamming a guy's ride! So Johnny, on behalf of those that feel the same way I do, I apologize for some of the rude comments made by others and yes, it is rude to slam a guy's ride!!

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 02-17-2008 at 10:06 AM.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #41
robin58

Who said rude things about his truck? People just expressed opinions. Most if you read the thread liked it. Others stated they preferred less radical chops or chops accompanied by the bodies being sectioned and the hoods pancaked. How on earth is that rude? I am sorry, but I only see one act of rudeness in this entire thread and that's contained in post #38.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #42
68c10owner

personaly I don`t like more than a 3" chop or so. Or even none at all. I never was a big fan of radical chop tops but as a hotrodder I can apprecieate the time and effort you put into it. I don`t remember reading any rude comments either but you have to remember that sometimes the internet makes it hard to read what people are really saying.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #43
CAL 58 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin58 View Post
Who said rude things about his truck? People just expressed opinions. Most if you read the thread liked it. Others stated they preferred less radical chops or chops accompanied by the bodies being sectioned and the hoods pancaked. How on earth is that rude? I am sorry, but I only see one act of rudeness in this entire thread and that's contained in post #38.
Calling a guys truck "ugly truck of the bunch" is not rude? When it come to a guys ride, unless you have somthing possitive to say, a person should their opinons to themself unless he was asking for an opinions and I never read him asking for anyone's opinion. Giving your opinion on weather you like chopped tops or not is okay, but people who criticized the apearance of his ride saying it's to much this or to much that or it's ugly is just flat out rude! I don't blame him for filling fustrated in post#38. In the over three years I have been apart of this site I have never seen anyone criticizing someone ride until now. All I'm saying is we just shouldn't go there.

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 02-17-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #44
stevehsd

As for the "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" I direct my grandkids here, also my kids and my parents too. So please direct your displeasure somewhere else!

77 FLH
stevehsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #45
robin58

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL 58 GMC View Post
Calling a guys truck "ugly truck of the bunch" is not rude? When it come to a guys ride, unless you have somthing possitive to say, a person should their opinons to themself unless he was asking for an opinions and I never read him asking for anyone's opinion. Giving your opinion on weather you like chopped tops or not is okay, but people who criticized the apearance of his ride saying it's to much this or to much that or it's ugly is just flat out rude! I don't blame him for filling fustrated in post#38. In the over three years I have been apart of this site I have never seen anyone criticizing someone ride until now. All I'm saying is we just shouldn't go there.
Exactly where did I say anything rude about his truck being ugly? The only comment I made was that I agreed with stevehsd with his accompanying pictorial support of the differences in appearnce between chops and cops with sectioned bodies.

To summarize this thread we have:

Post #1: Johnny G post pictures of his truck sold last year on the HMAB
Post #2: A positive endorsement of it
Post #4: An opinion that the author prefers something different to accompany the radical chop
Post #5: An answer to a question of #4
Post #7: A question about the truck's origin and model
Post #9: A positive
Post #11: A commentary
Post #12: Johnny G telling people we are nutless because we don't chop our trucks
Post #13: A positive
Post #14: Pictures of someone else's chop
Post #16: A commentary reaction to a statement by Johnny G
Post #18: More pictures of another truck
Post #19-21: Discussions about pancaking the hood
Post #22: A poorly worded post but clarified by the fact the author feels that chops need other modifications too
Post #23: Again an opinion that chops deserve a section
Post #24: Johnny G gets pissed at #22
Post #25: An accurate commentary stating who cares what others think as you build the truck for yourself
Post #26: A clarification by the author of #22 about proportioning for reasons some like sectioning to accompany the chop
Post #27: Johnny G understands now what was meant and says Thank you.
Post #28-31: Discussions about someone else's chop
Post #32: post by stevehsd with bunches of different types of chops explaining what he likes and way but not saying anything derogatory about Johnny G's truck
Post #33: my agreement with how #32 was written
Post #34: A disagreement from somone who prefers more radical chops which he is certainly entitled too and not argumentative at all
Post #35: Another agreement with #32
Post #36: Johnny G agrees more with #34 again as he is entitled to do
Post #37: Issue is taken with how Johnny G reacted to opinions
Post #38: Johnny G tells us to go pluck ourselves.
Post #39: I react because I feel that kind of reaction is not needed on this board
Post #40: You appear to think there are many rude comments however if you read all the above you will note that the only one that said anything "ugly" was clarified and brushed aside by Johnny G
Post #41: I state the only rudeness I can find is #38
Post #42: The author can't find anything rude either in this thread
Post #43: You endorse Johnny G's use of foul language
Post #44: A further vote to refrain from expletives in the thread.

How complex is this? Opinions are opinions. We don't all like everything. Nobody ever said they didn't like his truck. Lots of people simply stated that they like other things to go with the chop.

I really think this thread has ran its course though and I am truly disappointed that this board digressed so rapidly and resulted in expletives being used which I cannot recall ever seeing on this site.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:11 AM   #46
CAL 58 GMC

I never said you called his truck ugly. Post #22 stated, "Ugly truck of the bunch". Man you just don't call someone truck ugly. Post #11 from Kawbe, who is a good friend of mine felt the same way I do "I just don't see why people feel the need to pick other peoples projects apart. I know how hard it is to build cars and I respect anyone who builds their own rides. If you don't like something why comment just move on to the next page." Just to set the record straight, I did not endorse foul language nor will I ever. People who know me on this site and in my personal life know I never use or endorse foul language. I just understand why he feels upset with some of the comments made. I agree with you, this thread has ran its course and I also agree opinions are opinions and my opinion is, some opinions need to be kept to themselves.

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 02-18-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #47
Josh
He's got mean nasty FANGS!

Get back on subject and quit debating who broke what rule when, it's handled. The original posters response was circumventing the rules and was not keeping this place family friendly. Infractions have been given out where deemed necessary and if you guys fail to turn the post around and get back on subject more infractions will be given out and the thread closed.
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
josh@67-72chevytrucks.com
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #48
CAL 58 GMC

With all due respect Josh I want to keep this a friendly place also thats why Im a site supporter and I have made many friends here. But in my mind, it's not being friendly when others are calling a guy's truck ugly and I hope you agree. Now I have said enough and we all move on.

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 02-19-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:22 PM   #49
54 jimmy

johnnyg don't get upset or pissed at those who don't know hard work when they see it. I'm not a big fan of chopped trucks. your trucks chop is way out of proprotions from any that i have ever seen. that is what makes your truck so great. i think it is great, it got a real custom look that i haven't seen before. so don't let others discourage you. I'm doing a 54 gmc rat rod and people are always telling me it looks ugly. i tell the it a rat rod and they look at me like WHAT. i tell them it's a rockabilly thing you wouldn't understand. so chopped trucks are great no matter what anyone says they are here to stay weather they like it or not. i like it. it adds diversity to our close nit group here. cal 58 gmc is right lets move back on to the origanal topic at hand.

Last edited by 54 jimmy; 02-19-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling
54 jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #50
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

i think it looks tough as hell with the big front end pieces and the low top, but i guess i am part of the minority here.....

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote