The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #26
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Re: Future is looking grim. Went to a late model show

I may be one of those obnoxious guys to some people, but I dang sure try to take care of my stuff

Sure, I like to scrape, cut donuts, do burnouts, & have loud exhaust... But I work for my stuff

I know a couple guys (dont like em, but know em ) & one of em has a late model camaro, & I see them all the time with the doors open with them sitting on them bouncing on them

I just cant understand people like that

Killer

Last edited by Spray-Bomb; 05-28-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #27
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
PS....I really don't like any part of lowering a truck to the ground either although I have heard that it makes them harder to steal.
They are not harder to steal....just not as desireable to thieves!!

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Longhorn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #28
HoupPhotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean71 View Post
When mommy and daddy pay for your stuff, it's easy not to give a sh!t. 99% of the people doing that crap didn't pay for or do the work on their rigs. It means a lot more when it's your own blood sweat and tears that went into building it.
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72blu View Post
I have noticed the same sort of mentality. Heck, I went to highschool with quite a few of them. Im twenty as well, and like most of us on the forum that isnt how I act (when it comes to my truck or otherwise). Of course I've been known to lay a few parallel black lines down some asphalt, and I used to bracket race my truck every weekend (and I will again, soon); but that doesnt mean I was ever irresponsible, put anyone else in danger, or didnt take care of my rig. In response to Shyguy, smoking tires and going fast is part of the fun that comes with owning, maintaining, and driving an old vehicle (for many of us, at least). The question is how we do it, where we do it, and whether or not we have the right to;if your daddy is building your car or has payed someone else to do it- you have ZERO right to do anything to it other than drive it like a grandma on his terms.

Despite what you see around you, there are many younger guys carrying the torch onwards. Im really proud of all the "Young Guns" on the forum (not to mention all of us in general, who are a dying breed afterall). Car people are great people about 75% of the time. Thats much better than I can say for the general population.

I have been at a few car shows where I really get shunned by some of the older guys, though. There seems to be age-based sentiment on both sides of the coin. I suppose I can see why with the majority of people my age acting the way that they do... But, if I compliment 15 things the average person at a car show would never notice on your truck and ask you a few tech questions, you'd think they would turn around. Many of them have a snooty- "What the hell do you know" attitude that really goes against the grain of what this hobby is all about.
just my .02
I see the same mentality that is mentioned with the older crowd too, it's not just the young folks, it's the "Hey look at me" type of older folks that never grew up and NEED attention for their self-being. However, they are most likely the kids that daddy paid for their rides and they are still living off of daddy's money and\or they have more credit card debt than a collective gamblers annonymous group in vegas.

These are also the same guys that shun you when you ask tech questions, they have no other choice becasue they have no earthly idea what you mean, the answer to your question and for that matter what the hell your talking about. All they're looking for are the people that drool over their rig and tell them how cool they are because they have it. These are the same clowns that put 50" wheels on a hummer, lift a F-350 20' in the air to render it useless, even for speed bumps.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a long winded responce is, don't take it personal, they're just trendy turds that change their minds based on the group they are with. However, they are fun to talk to if you like "pushing buttons" ......... " I got a fitty that says your heap can't spin tires in one spot for 2 minutes", as you see a PoPo hiding in the tree's .
Old 05-28-2008, 11:46 PM   #29
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I scrolled through 1/2 the responses here, so i may be repeating someone;
Burnouts have been a part of hot rodding since the hobby got started.
Laying frame is new in comparison, but stil not a new thing.
The problem here is, Many of the people here are enthusiasts, not so much hot rodders.
Good Burn out contests will always have blown engines, blown tires, messed up panels from the flying rubber, tires catching on fire...
The way I look at it, all enthusiasts need to look out for other enthusiasts... I even give ricers a thumbs up personally... unless they are acting like asses.
Automotive enthusiasts are a very small minority, and we need to band together to keep legislation at every level, from federal, all the way down to the Home owners assn... from banning our hobby.
Enjoy your auto in what ever way you want to... just don't turn your back on fellow enthusiasts... they don't understand why you want an old work vehicle... just like you don't understand why they want to race economy cars with large tail pipes.

With all that said, I will hypocritically say that the Donks and Bubbles... the jacked up cars with 24 inch wheels... I have a hard time giving them a thumbs up.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:54 PM   #30
wdrthird

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybill View Post
This "attitude" you speak of is double for about 95% of corvette owners that I have encountered at shows through the years as well.

I have to agree. One time at a car and bike show we were looking at the Vettes and one of the owners had his cooler open, we asked if we could buy a couple bottles of water from him, he asked if we were in the bike show, when we said yes he replied "Why dont you go ask one of the Harley guys if they have some water for you!" Ive had a few other experiences with Vette owners and their "attitudes", but that was the rudest. Not sayin anything bad about owning a Vette, just some of the members of the local Vette Club here need to get off their high horse.
wdrthird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:22 AM   #31
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I see this at a lot of different levels.The Vette guys do seem to have an attitude that their stuff is priceless,I just think they are afraid of rust.Seems like the street rod crowd is heading that way.There seem to be fewer and fewer home built street rods now.
There's a Classic Chevy Club in Atlanta they have a fairly large membership and bill them selves as a Classic Chevy Club,but they tend to think you don't have a Classic Chevy unless it's a Tri -Five.
The tuner crowd does what we did in the early 70's,they drive/hot rod/cruise what's available and affordable.(Unless Mom and Dad bought).
The Donk/Bubble thing is beyond my understanding.
The rat rod/lifestyle (think Mags like Kar Kulture Deluxe) is almost a joke to me.They claim to be living/building/driving a "traditional" life.I'm still wondering where the girls with the tats were in the 50's.How many 50's rodders do you know that are sleeved?(not hating the tats)How is it traditional to do something so different from that tradition?
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:47 AM   #32
HoupPhotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I see this at a lot of different levels.The Vette guys do seem to have an attitude that their stuff is priceless,I just think they are afraid of rust.Seems like the street rod crowd is heading that way.There seem to be fewer and fewer home built street rods now.
There's a Classic Chevy Club in Atlanta they have a fairly large membership and bill them selves as a Classic Chevy Club,but they tend to think you don't have a Classic Chevy unless it's a Tri -Five.
The tuner crowd does what we did in the early 70's,they drive/hot rod/cruise what's available and affordable.(Unless Mom and Dad bought).
The Donk/Bubble thing is beyond my understanding.
The rat rod/lifestyle (think Mags like Kar Kulture Deluxe) is almost a joke to me.They claim to be living/building/driving a "traditional" life.I'm still wondering where the girls with the tats were in the 50's.How many 50's rodders do you know that are sleeved?(not hating the tats)How is it traditional to do something so different from that tradition?

So what do you like......?

I do agree that the "new era" of pin-up girls are way off base, it doesn't seem that you can be a pin-up girl these days without tatts.

The cats you see in the mags like Kar Kulture Deluxe have been living that way their entire life. Believe it or not, there are still real life greasers out there, what they do is not a "style" or "trend" it's their way of life & there are those that just love the style, like myself. There are however a few that jump on the band wagon and dress according to the theme of their store bought "rat rod" or the "weekend wardrope" clowns.
I'm not a greaser or claim to live the lifestyle, but I do love the rat rod type old school traditional hot rods. I have my '67 in my avatar and I also built a '29 f*rd truck "rat rod" with a 454 square port, 4 bolt and a 671 blower, original patina, license plates for the inner firewall, "open trench" & "street closed" inner door panels.

The joke to me is the CAD drawn hot rods that are completly built with NEW parts and sold for more than the average house, then they claim to be, "some of the greatest builders ever" and they don't work on the vehicle OR even design it on a CAD machine, THAT IS A JOKE!!!
Just my 2 pennies, but the real builders are not the one's that are in or enjoy the limelight, the old school guys that still use lead and their HANDS to build rods and those that they have inspired and work along the same lines only in the chopper Industry.

Last edited by HoupPhotography; 05-29-2008 at 01:16 AM.
HoupPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:42 AM   #33
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

I agree w/Longhorn Man. There are things I like and things I don't like, but to each his own. Most car/truck enthusiasts are great people, but as in anything there are plenty of jackasses too. As long as they aren't messing up my stuff, I could care less. Burnout contests are fun to watch, but I wouldn't do that to my ride. If ppl want to drag their ride, fine. I like it when the blue sparks are flying! Feel like shooting flames 20ft. behind your ride? Go ahead. Want neon, a big wing on the back of a front wheel drive car, a muffler that makes your car sound like a lawnmower? Fine.... I may laugh at you, but it's your ride. And I've been into car audio for 20 years, and IMHO,
Attached Images

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:03 AM   #34
chevy72blu

While we are on the subject - younger kids with mustangs generally arent a lot of fun (or know a damn thing about their vehicle). Bel-air owners seem to be by far the most elitist. Chevelle/Camaro owners think they have the baddest thing on the street no matter what is in it. The list goes on and on. Of course, these are just my own experiences and I have met many people who own those vehicles and are great guys.

Why do all the pin-up rat-rod girls have a ton of tat's? Because its hot. Lol... I actually find visible tattoo's on girls unattractive unless they have the pin-up look.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:08 AM   #35
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

I think everyone has had great comments about this subject. If you hang around car shows and such you will come across all kinds for sure.

My brother-in-law has a saying he likes to repeat often, 'Drive it like you stole it!' to which he does. He has ruined every car he has owned. He had a beautiful 87 GN and blew it up. He laughs at me because I baby my cars. I still have all mine and his are long gone so I feel I'm the one with the last laugh. But truly, to each his own.
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:44 AM   #36
original_balzer

Well looky here! Oppinions in here, are just as differnt as the whole car enthusiast subject being discussed.

Mainly I agree with longhorn. Im the type of guy that will stop and help anyone broke down on the road. Be it a 50's style hot rod, or a brand new beamer. I may not be able to fix the beamer but Ill offer any assistance I can.

Yea its easy to point fingers and say those are the bad nuggets. But look at it this way, Those attention whores on the side of the road holding up the po po wagon, are the guys doing you a favor by giving that cop something to do rather than looking for something to pull you over for. You know all those stupid laws like window tint, altered suspention, tires stick out 1/16th of an inch too far.
I say let the people do what they want to do. Its way better to have a burnout contest at a car show than a buncha people having an illeagal street race. It gives people a chance to get their performance/speed/showoff fix in a LOT safer enviroment than out on the street.

The only people I dont like in the automotive world is the "Im better than you" people. That one asshole at the car show with a $300k ride. You say "hey man nice ride" and his responce is "yea I know, thats what being rich will get you".
original_balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:00 AM   #37
special-K
Special Order

It started out with,"If it won`t go,buy a stereo."Now,it`s expanded to other obnoxious ways to grab attention,like bouncing up and down or making sparks.How about just coming around to realizing trucks were made to drive and make them go?It would help to work on the individual who operates the truck as being a seperate being from the truck.In other words,base your worth on how much class you have and leave the truck a truck.Not use it as a way to define who you are.I find identity in my rides.But,I`m a whole person w/o it and the truck doesn`t make me who I am.So,it doesn`t get used trying to make me anything but who I am...and something cool to drive.
Those boys need to look inside and stop trying for material identity.Especially when it`s not cool and the only ones who think it is are your piers who will go alone with whatever you do.Even if you stopped makin` sparks.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #38
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It started out with,"If it won`t go,buy a stereo."Now,it`s expanded to other obnoxious ways to grab attention,like bouncing up and down or making sparks.How about just coming around to realizing trucks were made to drive and make them go?It would help to work on the individual who operates the truck as being a seperate being from the truck.In other words,base your worth on how much class you have and leave the truck a truck.Not use it as a way to define who you are.I find identity in my rides.But,I`m a whole person w/o it and the truck doesn`t make me who I am.So,it doesn`t get used trying to make me anything but who I am...and something cool to drive.
Those boys need to look inside and stop trying for material identity.Especially when it`s not cool and the only ones who think it is are your piers who will go alone with whatever you do.Even if you stopped makin` sparks.
I happen to believe that a ride CAN be an extension of your personality. That doesn't mean it defines WHO you are. To some people this may be true, but then look at anything else in life. Big boats, exotic cars, large houses, designer clothes, etc. Take for example the guy that puts his heart and soul into building a truck. I'm pretty sure that truck is going to reflect his taste and personality. It doesn't necessarily define who he is. There will always be two sides to a coin, ya know?

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #39
Mondo

I'll jump in... I agree that I do think the cars are an expression of the owner. It might not give the impression he wants but never the less. Also, people gravitate to others of the same attitude (vette owners come to mind).Every genre has it's jerks or wannabees. Most people are pretty cool as no one wants to be with a bunch of idiots.

Personally, I like individuality. It's amazing how trendy some people can be... there like drones, all having the same latest thing.

Over the years, I've gotten more subtle. I like clean lines and things that are done to a car that most won't notice or it gives a look that you say "what's different about this car that makes it look so much better than stock" ; it's not in your face obvious.

So aside from the lowering and nice wheels, you probably won't notice much different about my truck unless you own one yourself

Last edited by Mondo; 05-29-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #40
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

People that do the big burn outs must have more money than me...cause I can't afford new tires and engines all the time! I cringe when I see that, because to me it is a waste.

That said, The older generation has always been suspect of the younger crowd and their "wild and crazy" ways. I am sure that the old romans said: "look at those young wipper snappers wipping those chariot horses, why...in my day..."

Not just in the hot-rodding, but in every aspect of society. Example, how many times have you heard an older person say: "video games are evil."

Older people worrying about the youth is nothing new.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:13 AM   #41
jkaylor68gmc

Responding to the part about there are more enthusiast here than hot rodders, that makes no sense.

I am very happy with the thread though. I just felt that acting retarded in front of your peers is uncalled for, it makes us all look bad. But as for the style of many of these trucks and cars, well, I have to be a snob. I managed to find two feature cars mixed in with 2,000 other cars. Dissapointing, just because it is a mini-truck or a import does not mean I will not shoot it, but the style and the stickers with "balls" drawn and inappropriate work is a little uncalled for.
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 7-inch lift on 35 Daily driver
2016 Chevy Tahoe Better halves ride
jkaylor68gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:40 AM   #42
GKsport67

No Hometraining!
GKsport67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:53 AM   #43
jimmydean

Meh, people suck.

Some people have no respect. If a kid has been handed a nice truck, he doesn't feel he needs to take care of it. I used to see this all the time when I did show car stereo systems. Some kid drops his parents credit card and could care less what it took to build or what it takes to maintain.

If someone builds it themselves, they tend to have a better attitude about things. But not always.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:24 AM   #44
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

I'm 15, but I love burnouts, I would do them all the time, but I know the damage it can do. When I want to do a burnout I make sure to do it safely, you know, floor it when its wet. I dont like all these little kids (yeah I know they're my age and older) with their ricers, and a Chevy thinking they're all bad a$$. I love this line, "I got dual exhaust I got real power and I can smoke you." I also cant afford the tires and gas. Burnouts are best in rentals, they dont check tire tread levels...

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:29 AM   #45
jkaylor68gmc

oh, so tear someone else stuff up. O.k.

Thats what I mean. As far as who buil it for them or who gave it to them. It doesn't matter. It is their actions, doesn't matter if their dad built it or they built it. Why act like a jacka$$
Old 05-30-2008, 02:29 AM   #46
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Waxing philosophical: "The only thing constant in life is change."

The car (& truck) culture of today is not what it was in '66 when I graduated high school, and it's not what it was in '46 when my dad returned home from overseas. And it won't be the same in 20 or 40 years as it is today.

One thing which tends to remain about the same is this: good people tend to be good people, to hang out with good people, & do cool / good things for other people, & they also tend to ignore (or shun) uncool people who do "jerky" things, as they see it.

This Board seems to be made up of some really good & cool people of all ages, young to old.

Live & let live is a pretty good motto.

When / if today's tire burners grow up a little bit, & have to start paying for their fun & the things they tear up, they'll probably quit.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:46 AM   #47
HuggerCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortstep View Post
Waxing philosophical: "The only thing constant in life is change."

The car (& truck) culture of today is not what it was in '66 when I graduated high school, and it's not what it was in '46 when my dad returned home from overseas. And it won't be the same in 20 or 40 years as it is today.

One thing which tends to remain about the same is this: good people tend to be good people, to hang out with good people, & do cool / good things for other people, & they also tend to ignore (or shun) uncool people who do "jerky" things, as they see it.

This Board seems to be made up of some really good & cool people of all ages, young to old.

Live & let live is a pretty good motto.

When / if today's tire burners grow up a little bit, & have to start paying for their fun & the things they tear up, they'll probably quit.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #48
heavy71chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdeuce View Post
As I drive just a bit slower than everyone else aorund me just enjoying the air from outside and the country roads, i hear the sanford and son theme song play in my head and just cruise the old truck and enjoy the things that make me happy. FOr me the old chevy truck takes me back to when i was a little kid and my dad or uncle were taking us boys out fishing or hunting all my childhood i experienced many miles in the bed of my dads 67 chevy or my uncles 69 chevy. for me the classic chevy truck is a piece of my childhood that makes me happy and yeah i like to hear the growl of my 327 come to life and how the first time ti fired it up after the headers and exhaust the neighbor came outside and had 50 questions but most of all I love to just drive and let things slow down just for a while cause life, it moves just a little too fast sometimes.
I couldnt have said it better....

Last edited by heavy71chevy; 05-30-2008 at 09:30 AM.
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #49
heavy70

clean71 I hear what your saying, if they did the work and spent their own money they would have a little more respect!!!!
heavy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #50
jkaylor68gmc

I don' t think that is the problem. I know plenty of people I went to school with that buy their stuff, work jobs and continue to act this way.