The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #26
Skirkpat

Re: Door vin plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Been there done the VIN shuffle on Camaro's, and have been hassled in a big way with the car being impounded. Sheriff's could care less about your story about restoration, and will only look at you as a sneaky crimminal that is wasting their time.
Since then, if there is ANY doubt about the authenticity of the VIN I walk away. It's just not worth the hassles.

You may like this song:

YouTube - Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash - One Piece At A Time

But the guy with the badge n gun makin your day doesn't.
I won't touch a vehicle without a title and matchin VIN, you can't even crush them in MO anymore without a title.

Another point to consider. When your truck comes up missing ,because some scumbag with a "pile of VIN plates" wants a new cab, you will understand why it is illegal to take them off vehicles.

Last edited by Skirkpat; 02-21-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #27
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

not only do you need a VIN plate, and a title to crush it here... it has to be in YOUR name. That way the state and county can collect taxes from you before you sell it @ 70 bucks a ton.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 02-21-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #28
90\87Formula

If you're in Texas, how are you getting around the "no inspection"? ; considering Texas has a mandatory yearly inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbristo67 View Post
Ahhh the vins in the glove box its cool. I have a title and tags and i never have to get it inspected.

Last edited by 90\87Formula; 02-21-2009 at 07:10 PM.
90\87Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #29
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90\87Formula View Post
If you're in Texas, how are you getting around the "no inspection"? ; considering Texas has a mandatory yearly inspection.
Not if it is registered as a classic

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #30
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirkpat View Post
I won't touch a vehicle without a title and matchin VIN, you can't even crush them in MO anymore without a title.

Another point to consider. When your truck comes up missing ,because some scumbag with a "pile of VIN plates" wants a new cab, you will understand why it is illegal to take them off vehicles.
I didnt take them off trust me on that one I wish I had them

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

Old 02-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #31
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

This is highly illegal and can definately be costly. The biggest thing that needs to be taken from this thread is that you should be scared and do not listen to the guys who have "gotten by with it" ....at least so far.

For those of you who have done it, or others that may consider it......Please don't post illegal advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #32
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
This is highly illegal and can definately be costly. The biggest thing that needs to be taken from this thread is that you should be scared and do not listen to the guys who have "gotten by with it" ....at least so far.

For those of you who have done it, or others that may consider it......Please don't post illegal advice.
I didnt know that was where the vin plate was when I bought the truck so I didnt worry about it. I didnt know it was missing when I bought it.

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

Old 02-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #33
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post

Bravo, This is a Wise Man Speaking....There is nowhere that it is Legal to move,alter,remove,replace anything that has to do with that VIN plate(and yes I realize CA has a provision for restoration with previous authorization from law enforcement, I have never heard of anyone using this law)
Old 02-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #34
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
not only do you need a VIN plate, and a title to crush it here... it has to be in YOUR name. That way the state and county can collect taxes from you before you sell it @ 70 bucks a ton.
ERRRRRR, Damn tax man!!!
Old 02-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #35
vectorit
What?

If you have a lot of money into this questionable truck, I would just park it out of site. Then I would begin looking for a clean titled builder truck, buy it then register it in your name. Then transfer all of your good stuff onto this new builder, once done you will sleep better at night and while driving you won't have to worry about it getting taken away if you are pulled over.

Once you have everything off of the "questionable" truck, then if I were you I would just blow torch the thing to little pieces and throw it away as scrap.

You may have started out this thread as a simple question, but it really is a serious issue that you should take seriously. No one is just trying to scare you for the fun of it.

It's just simple fact that you will not have a good day when you are in a position, when an officer of the law is looking up your truck to see if you are supposed to be driving it. Then comes up with something or lack there of, believe me brother you will say goodbye to your truck.

In my case I did get my Camaro back, but only after spending thousands of dollars in impound and court fee's - Not cool, so why risk it?
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #36
4tiresngas
An American Soldier

Wow. Interesting read. Why does it matter if you have a VIN plate if your VIN is stamped on your frame? I compared mine when I first bought my truck. The VIN is stamped on the frame. Only difference as I recall is that the CE, CS, KE ideitifying 2 or 4 wheel drive and 6 or 8 cyclinder is not on the frame.

I was in California and bought my truck off Ebay with a Alabama tag receipt. I just had to have a law enforcement iofficer verify the VIN before I registered it. I printed the form off the DMV website and went to the MP station. The MP would not have even known wher to look for the VIN if I had not pointed it out. I surely don't think he knew anything about what type rivet needed to be holding the VIN plate on.

dan.brue@us.army.mil
4tiresngas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #37
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

that's like saying
"I was speeding by a cop and didn't pulled over.... it must be OK to speed here"
You can roll the dice, you may never get busted, you may even be able to sell it to another person with no problems.
You may never see your truck again, you may spend 5 years in a cell with some one named Cletus or Jr.
Your truck, your life, your problem. All we are trying to tell you is the severity of the laws you are violating.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote