The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #26
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: Cash for clunkers bill!

Also, a question I have been thinking about, (I know very little about the subject mind you) is exactly how long do the battery packs last in these "hybrid" and electric cars? If it is currently only 5 years, like most regular car batteries, then what? You can't rebuild them like a car engine can you? You have to buy a whole new pack I'm guessing. So then what happens to the old battery pack? What are the by-products produced from the manufacturing/recycling of these battery packs compared to me rebuilding my old 305 V-6?

Food for thought.....I think I am going to start doing my research.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #27
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Here's some more food for thought.......California already has rolling blackouts in summer. What happens when a million electric cars pull into the garage at 5:30pm and plug in to recharge???

The other sad thought is that all the old cars and the hangers-on (and I am in that club) will probably be TAXED to death to keep driving them; we all know that you dont want to be an 'evildoer', right?

OK, I'm going to go make myself a new tinfoil beany.........
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #28
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
Here's some more food for thought.......California already has rolling blackouts in summer. What happens when a million electric cars pull into the garage at 5:30pm and plug in to recharge???

The other sad thought is that all the old cars and the hangers-on (and I am in that club) will probably be TAXED to death to keep driving them; we all know that you dont want to be an 'evildoer', right?

OK, I'm going to go make myself a new tinfoil beany.........

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #29
joe231

the whole green movement is a joke....there are ulterior motives involved to say the least....most of the so-called "green" solutions are not actually "green"
don't get me wrong....I believe in taking care of the environment.....but driving a prius is not the solution....if everyone would just take care of their own crap, the change and benefit to the world and it's inhabitants would be substantial!!!

Last edited by joe231; 06-19-2009 at 03:49 PM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #30
scotts62
One day...

and as much as i hate to say it, they should have never done away with the inspections here in OK. Guilty here for not having any catalytic converters, but there are people running around with not one brake light yeah and its our fault automatically for hitting them from behind...

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:32 AM   #31
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts62 View Post

Yeah makes a whole lot of sense to me... hum.... lets trade something in that is paid for and buy a NEW car and have a $500mo + payment just to get a "discount" yeah i see a big discount and money ahead on our part.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Cort, that is my thought also...why do they push recycling, then tell you to throw away perfectly good cars to buy a new one that the manufacturing of causes more pollution than driving my old car for 5 years.
it is a crazy agenda that has absolutely nothing to do with the environment...like cap and trade

I believe that most people driving "clunkers" either can't afford to drive a new car or choose to drive an older one....not to mention new car quality has gone down hill big time in the last couple decades....I know many people who have bought new and had un-fixable problems from day one
I agree.....the people that are driving cars or trucks that are worth $4500 or less are doing so either because they choose to, or because they can't afford a car/truck payment. And most of those that can afford a payment on a new car are currently driving a vehicle worth more than $4500.

The one downside to this that I see is that there may be a lot of good useable upgrade parts for our trucks going to the crusher. Unless of course there is a loophole where they can stop by the salvage yard for a month or so.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 06-20-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #32
64Tony

It passed, going to the White House for Blama's sig...

Sad day for old iron, I think.

Then brake!

1964 SWB Stepside, 355, powerglide, posi
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
2007 F@#$ Focus ST
64Tony is offline   Reply With Quote