The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Re: Emissions fail - any advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm318 View Post
Yeah, in Texas, it 14.00 dollars (blinkers, horn, tail lights, and wipers all work) and youre on your way. Its a restorers dream.
Not only that... but everything over 25 years old is emmisions exempt. So... 2009-25=1984. 1984 and older is emmisions exempt.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???

Last edited by toddtheodd; 09-23-2009 at 01:04 PM.
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Rack Man

One thing to keep in mind is that these old vehicles were never designed to meet today's emission standards and just because you "Pass" does not mean that your vehicle will be running at its best....

I remember every time I brought my old 69 - 396 Camaro in for testing I would need to mess with the carb & timing so bad on it in order to pass that it ran like complete crap!....So one block down the road all the settings went right back to where they were...and I was good to go

Last edited by Rack Man; 09-23-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Rack Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
68lwb292
Ex-Minitrucker

No emissions in Florida, and in my county all the cops have old mud trucks and race cars. The Sheriffs office sponsors a drag car 90s camaro with race chassis, slicks, full race motor with nitrous, and a sheriff's car paint job and working lightbar on the roof. I drove a truck for years that looked like the skeeter truck. People who followed me would run their washers the whole time, and you could follow me home because it left a trail of smoke everywhere I went and I never got in any trouble.
68lwb292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

And you have to have muffled tail pipes 'past the doors' is the basic rule of thumb, but if you find a cool shop they can even let that slide I'd wager.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
And you have to have muffled tail pipes 'past the doors' is the basic rule of thumb, but if you find a cool shop they can even let that slide I'd wager.

They inspected my 59 from accross the parking lot, never even went in the bay.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Step 1. Join the military.

Step 2. Have your Mom go to the DMV for you in your home state since you live in another one or another country.

Step 3. Can't inspect since its either in that other state or country.

Step 4. Have Mom pay for license plates with your money and mail them to you.

Step 5. Don't worry about it anymore.

Sorry, just had to be a smart a$$ since none of mine have been inspected in the last 23+ years even tho its required in MO. But like I said, if its not there, they can't inspect it and don't charge you for it.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
67ss&99ss
Andy

Man thats dumb having emissions on something that old. There are no emissions in my area thankfully.
2005 Duramax 2500HD 4x4
67ss&99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #8
QKENUF4U

Thumbs down Re: Emissions fail - any advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ss&99ss View Post
Man thats dumb having emissions on something that old. There are no emissions in my area thankfully.
not yet anyways.......hes got another 3 1/2 yrs to go.......
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
KrazyRay

I have smogged several cars and trucks here in norcal. I simply put 8oz of Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner with a tank of 87 octane gas and all of mine pass easily. My 79 454 no problem, my 78 Toyota Corolla read zero on emissions and the smog guy told me not to use that car locked in the garage to commit suicide!
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
QKENUF4U

NO OCTANE boost or high octane gas.....that screwed ya right there.... OCTANE SLOWS THE BURN !!!... anyways get a can of acetone, dump in gas tank, set mixture screws correctly (turn in till stumbles/idles rough then turn out 1/2-1 turn) set idle at 1000-1500rpm.... make sure its at operating temp when ya get there and dont idle in line.... (ex phoenix resident just went thru getting my 91 to pass)
Old 09-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
jlolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U View Post
NO OCTANE boost or high octane gas.....that screwed ya right there.... OCTANE SLOWS THE BURN !!!... anyways get a can of acetone, dump in gas tank, set mixture screws correctly (turn in till stumbles/idles rough then turn out 1/2-1 turn) set idle at 1000-1500rpm.... make sure its at operating temp when ya get there and dont idle in line.... (ex phoenix resident just went thru getting my 91 to pass)
Can someone confirm this? Low octane gas w/no octane booster for best results? This is contrary to what a mechanic told me.

I don't know about the acetone but I've heard about the denatured alcohol trick and was considering doing that (add 2L of denatured alcohold to about 4 gallons of gas, test immediately, then top off with good gas). Any opinions?
jlolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
69GMCLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlolson View Post
Can someone confirm this? Low octane gas w/no octane booster for best results? This is contrary to what a mechanic told me.

I don't know about the acetone but I've heard about the denatured alcohol trick and was considering doing that (add 2L of denatured alcohold to about 4 gallons of gas, test immediately, then top off with good gas). Any opinions?
This is not correct. What IS correct is that lower octane burns quicker than high octane. So the higher the octane, the hotter the spark and the more compression is needed to burn it. But when it DOES burn, it is much cleaner and more efficient than lower octane. When you run low octane and it "pings", it is because it is burning too soon, or "pre-detonating". So you back the timing off, etc to compensate. If you run high octane and advance the timing to an appropriate setting, the engine will run better. The newer the car, the more the computer will compensate for this...
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #13
jlolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMCLonghorn View Post
This is not correct. What IS correct is that lower octane burns quicker than high octane. So the higher the octane, the hotter the spark and the more compression is needed to burn it. But when it DOES burn, it is much cleaner and more efficient than lower octane. When you run low octane and it "pings", it is because it is burning too soon, or "pre-detonating". So you back the timing off, etc to compensate. If you run high octane and advance the timing to an appropriate setting, the engine will run better. The newer the car, the more the computer will compensate for this...

So I had a full tank of 91 octane pluse about 24OZ of 108 Octane booster and I failed for CO which is unspent fuel. Think I'd be better off next time with 87 octane like the original poster stated?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
69GMCLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlolson View Post
So I had a full tank of 91 octane pluse about 24OZ of 108 Octane booster and I failed for CO which is unspent fuel. Think I'd be better off next time with 87 octane like the original poster stated?
No, it's a matter of making sure the carb and timing are dialed in for all aspects of what's going on with the engine. If it's not passing, it may be a lot of trial and error. As much as I DESPISE smog checks, the truck should be running its best if/when you get it to pass. Remember some quick rules:

Too much HC = too rich
Too much CO = too lean
Too much NOx = high compression
Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
truckdude239

IN GREAT OLD NC any vehicle 35 years or older does not have to pass any kind fo inspection

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #16
Rack Man

Why not just get classic car insurance (which is also cheaper) and then as long as you own another vehicle there is no emissions test required in AZ....it falls under the classic car exemption law that was passed a couple years ago....

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/motor.html

Last edited by Rack Man; 09-22-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #17
69GMCLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Man View Post
Why not just get classic car insurance (which is also cheaper) and then as long as you own another vehicle there is no emissions test required in AZ....it falls under the classic car exemption law that was passed a couple years ago....

Believe it or not, California is even easier than that! As long as it's older than 1974, NO SMOG CHECK! It doesn't matter whether it's your only vehicle or not. It was supposed to change to a rolling 20 or 25 year rule: If it's older than that, it's exempt. But they realized how much of their precious revenue would be lost, so they dropped it.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #18
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMCLonghorn View Post
Believe it or not, California is even easier than that! As long as it's older than 1974, NO SMOG CHECK! It doesn't matter whether it's your only vehicle or not. It was supposed to change to a rolling 20 or 25 year rule: If it's older than that, it's exempt. But they realized how much of their precious revenue would be lost, so they dropped it.
Actually, it's pre-76 vehicles that are exempt. It used to be a rolling 30 yr rule, but the gubernator changed that.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #19
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Man View Post

Classic car insuarance is a total waste when you can't drive the vehicle to any normal standards and hope to get covered when you need them.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #20
Rack Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
Classic car insuarance is a total waste when you can't drive the vehicle to any normal standards and hope to get covered when you need them.
WHAT???....I have had classic car insurance on numerous vehicles....Its the only way to go!

Normally quite a bit cheaper than conventional insurance & with the right company there are no mileage restrictions and are "Agreed Value"........don't see the downfall....I've used Grundy for years....They rock and I have heard their claim service is top notch!....$400 a year for $45K agreed value and NO mileage restrictions ....oh yea, an no smog checks

Last edited by Rack Man; 09-22-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #21
Chada

We dont have emissions in most of Virginia, just the counties around Washington, DC and even there any vehicle over 25 years old is exempt. Also anybody who registers with antique plates is exempt from safety inspections as well. With antique plates you can only drive your car certain times though but the big exemption is "occasional pleasure driving". I do a lot of that now.
Chada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #22
coloradosean2009

Lets focus people! The issue here is not the laws of his state or complaining about the state where you live. The issue is why does he have a high CO under load.

There has been some incorrect information posted here. Let me fix that:

1. High CO is a sign that you are running RICH.
2. High Hydrocarbon count is caused by unspent fuel in the exhaust. (this can be caused by a rich mixture, or missing ignition).
3. You should run the same gas that you normally run. If the truck can't pass the very liberal requirements you have, then it is not running properly (read: expensive waste of gas!).

Based upon the results of your last test, I think that you are close to passing. Just bring the idle mixture up a little(richer) and run some regular gas. I will eat my shoe if you don't pass.

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

Last edited by coloradosean2009; 09-22-2009 at 05:13 PM.
coloradosean2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #23
jlolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradosean2009 View Post
Lets focus people! The issue here is not the laws of his state or complaining about the state where you live. The issue is why does he have a high CO under load.

Thanks Sean, appreciate the advice! I'll run 87 octane next test and see how it goes.

And for the classic car insurance stuff... not really interested. From what I've read my mileage will be limited and I don't want to play any games. The emissions is a pain in the ass but if I'm running rich I'm wasting gas so I want to fix it.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #24
QKENUF4U

even my bb 71 402 went thru but again i leaned it out a bit and turned up the idle... as for SEANs reply.. hes right but hes missing one important aspect... you ran a tank of high octane (over done with octane booster) that your motor CAN NOT completely burn in stock form, so in turn there goes your CO (unburned fuel) RIGHT UP TO THE SKY....
and in AZ. the cut off point for emissions is 66 so our trucks fall right at the first year of this crap....and i dont think it matters if you have antique plates or not if your newer than 66 ...(not 100% sure bout that)
when i took my 91 thru on my first try i was at 22%+ CO...... put the bottle of acetone in and dropped to less than 7%.... so it def. works..

Last edited by QKENUF4U; 09-23-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #25
Rack Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U View Post
and in AZ. the cut off point for emissions is 66 so our trucks fall right at the first year of this crap....and i dont think it matters if you have antique plates or not if your newer than 66 ...(not 100% sure bout that)..

"Historic Plates" doesn't matter...but....Effective April 30 2007, House bill: HB2357 became in effect.....vehicles that are 15 years and older which are deemed collectable, have the proper collector car insurance and is not your daily driver are eligible for emissions exemption....This was a huge deal in the collector car world and made a lot of people very happy...Including me!.....

My first car that qualified was a nice little 67 driver quality camaro worth about $9k at the time....total full coverage insurance premium for one year was a whopping $212.00.....and no emissions....Loved it and still love it!

Last edited by Rack Man; 09-23-2009 at 06:32 PM.