The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #26
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Re: State antique license plates who has e'm ?

This is what I have found so far about TEXAS.

Copyed this from the site.

Antique Vehicle:

Antique license plates are issued for cars, trucks or motorcycles that are at least 25 years old and are a collector’s item. The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or carry advertising. The vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance.

Antique plates are issued for five-year periods. The registration fee for the five-year period is $50.30 ($10 per year, plus an additional 30 cents for the registration insignia) for vehicles manufactured in 1921 and subsequent years and $40.30 ($8 per year, plus an additional 30 cents for the registration insignia) for vehicles manufactured in 1920 and prior years. Fees are reduced $10/$8 for each year of the period that has elapsed at the time the application is filed.

The link to this page....
http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/licens...ue_vehicle.htm

Now to see if I can find something about the "YOM" plates.

Last edited by LOW DOUGH; 12-15-2009 at 02:27 PM.
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #27
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

More from the site...

Classic Auto:

Classic license plates are issued to cars that are 25 or more years old. Unlike antiques, which cannot be used for regular transportation or carry advertising, classic license plates require a vehicle to be fully registered like any other vehicle, allowing it to be operated on any roadway. A specialty plate fee of $15 is charged in addition to the regular registration fee and other applicable fees.

New: Single Set $15.00 / Personalize $40.00
Renewal: Single Set $15.00 / Personalize $40.00

Link to page: http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/licens...assic_auto.htm

Still looking for something about the "YOM" plates.

Last edited by LOW DOUGH; 12-15-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #28
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

More from the site:

Classic Truck:

Classic license plates are issued to trucks that are 25 or more years old. Unlike antiques, which cannot be used for regular transportation or carry advertising, classic license plates require a vehicle to be fully registered like any other vehicle, allowing it to be operated on any roadway. A specialty plate fee of $15 is charged in addition to the regular registration fee and other applicable fees.

New: Single Set $15.00 / Personalize $40.00
Renewal: Single Set $15.00 / Personalize $40.00

Link to page: http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/licens...ssic_truck.htm

Last edited by LOW DOUGH; 12-15-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #29
bamabaxter

I have em on my '72. Apply for them like you do Antique plates. They register the tag number on the vintage and you pay the antique fees. The rules apply as if it were an antique plate. There has a been a new amendment that allows antiques in Tenn to drive on days other than Sat and Sun for testing, maintaining, or traveling to shows, etc. I dunno about ya'll, but I am always testing my truck's performance.
bamabaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #30
twcarman

Here is what I found for the state of North Carolina.

HB 704 was passed into law May 24, 1985 and amended G.S. 20-63(d). This bill allows owners of motor vehicles, 35 years or older, to display an 'antique' license plate which displays the year of manufacture. A current plate must be purchased and kept inside the vehicle.

Note: If you display the 'antique tags', it is highly recommended that you keep a copy of this bill inside your vehicle along with your current tag. This is a little known law and some local law enforcement agencies are not familiar with it.
twcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #31
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

I am having trouble finding anything for TX about running YOM plates. I'm trying.

I'll type this "year of manufactur plates" in there search.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #32
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Just found this on the form you fill out to run these plates.

ANTIQUE LICENSE PLATES
Qualifications for Antique License Plates are as follows:
(a) A passenger car, truck, or motorcycle in which the frame, body, and motor are 25 or more years old and
is used exclusively for exhibition, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest. The
vehicle will in no case be used for regular transportation and will not carry any advertising. A vehicle in
route to and from a location for routine maintenance is allowed.

(b) Applicants that have license plates, which are the same year as the antique vehicle may use those
plates in lieu of Antique License Plates issued by the county. If the application is mailed, the applicant
must have the license plates examined at their local County Tax Office before submitting the
application. The license plates must be Texas plates, the same year as the year model of the antique
vehicle, be in good readable condition, and have the correct color scheme.

(c) Out-of-state vehicles that have a registration receipt only, will be required to submit a completed
Application For Assigned or Reassigned Number, Form VTR-68-A. Only the lower portion should be
completed. Both forms must be submitted to the County Tax Assessor-Collector before the plate or tab
(if using approved plates) will be issued.
If the applicant has not previously registered the vehicle in Texas within the last five years, proof of
evidence of ownership, along with proof of insurance (or waiver from DPS), and fees must be
submitted to the County Tax Assessor-Collector before the plate or tab may be issued.

Link to form:

Adobe
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdotefor...vletConfig.xml

Word
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdotefor...vletConfig.xml

There you have the TEXAS rule.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #33
LEEVON

Missouri is a piece of cake, got some '62 originals for my Dad's Nova. Simple registration and fee, that's it. I don't recall there being any mileage restrictions or anything, but it did have to be before a certain YOM I think. Historic tags are a whole other thing.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #34
71tahoe

I've registered 4 vehicles with antique plates in Arkansas and I got the same DFA employee at least 3 of those times. She always tells me that it must be original. No modifications. All original paint, seat upholstery, wheels, etc. I just nod my head instead of argue. This is from the form you have to sign:

I hereby request registration(Printed Name of Owner)of the motor vehicle described above with an antique license plate. I hereby declare that the motor vehicle is twenty-five (25) or more years old and has been maintained in, or has been restored to its original specifications as closely as reasonably possible. In the event the motor vehicle is altered from the original specifications, except to the extent authorized or required by law, I will relinquish the antique license plate for the motor vehicle for which I have applied hereon.
I understand “original specifications” to mean the same type engine, wheels, exhaust system, tire size, upholstery, exterior body and ornaments, bumpers, wheel or dust covers, dash instruments, springs, front axles or suspension system, rear differential, steering system, electrical system, transmission, interior and exterior paints, cooling systems and accessories as were available for the vehicle at its manufacture date.
Safety-related modifications are permitted, including brakes, seal beam headlights, glass, and seat belts.

That's a wide range of what I can do to my 71 truck that would not be "as it rolled out of the factory". I could put a big block, auto, AC, PS, PB, tilt, cruise, buddy buckets, sway bars, and tach that didn't come on it originally.

Nothing about running plates from that year, only how to qualify for new antique plates. I know better than to expect a knowledgeable answer if I asked that question.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #35
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
this company makes plate up Identitcal to the origanal state plates might be worth lookig into for some of you guys

http://www.cr8apl8.com/

I'm sure that knowone ( dmor deputy dog) would know the diffenece
I've seen their plastic CA black plate and it is nothing like the original. I have heard their metal ones are not embossed like the originals. I have heard their customer service is horrible, too. I would stick to License Plate TV, Darrell's or Ray Ray in San Diego.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #36
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
I've seen their plastic CA black plate and it is nothing like the original. I have heard their metal ones are not embossed like the originals. I have heard their customer service is horrible, too. I would stick to License Plate TV, Darrell's or Ray Ray in San Diego.
Links man Links!!!
I just googled it and they popped up but I know there have been some plates made that where just like the old ones and guys have hung them what they do is get current antique plates then send them the #'s or what ever have them made then everything matches up........

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #37
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

From Texas DMV. It's the bottom paragraph in the section.
Quote:
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) has two types of plates available specifically for older vehicles.

Antique plates are for vehicles at least 25 years old that are used strictly for antique exhibitions, parades, and related activities. (Occasional trips to the repair shop are permitted.)

Only one antique plate per vehicle is issued. To apply for the plate, complete the antique application form and bring it or mail it to your local county tax office. The plate cannot be personalized.

The plate is valid in five-year increments. For vehicles built before 1921, the yearly fee is $8, while it's $10 per year for vehicles manufactured after that. Local additional fees may apply. Find full information here.

Classic plates are also for vehicles that are at least 25 years old. However, vehicles with these plates may be used for routine transportation.

Complete the classic plate form to apply for the plates, and bring it or mail it to your local county tax office.

The plates carry an annual fee of $15, and may be personalized for an extra $40. However, local additional fees may apply. Find full information here.
Model Year Plates

Have the original, model year plates for a vehicle? As long as they're Texas-issued, have the proper color, and are in a usable condition, you may apply to use them by completing either the classic or the antique vehicle form, whichever fits the situation.

Bring the form and plates with you to your county tax office, where the plates will be inspected for suitability of use.

It costs $10 annually to display the plates, although local extra fees may be added.
So... you can run YOM plates registered as a "classic", and use it as a daily driver.

As far as getting the plates... just keep an eye on ebay. They aren't cheap, but they're out there.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???

Last edited by toddtheodd; 10-06-2009 at 04:56 PM.
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #38
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Have the original, model year plates for a vehicle? As long as they're Texas-issued, have the proper color, and are in a usable condition, you may apply to use them by completing either the classic or the antique vehicle form, whichever fits the situation.

Bring the form and plates with you to your county tax office, where the plates will be inspected for suitability of use.

now that's the info I wanted to see. Then I will register them as "classic" and be fine to do as a please... that's what i get from that anyways.

Last edited by LOW DOUGH; 10-06-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #39
matthufham

mine was already registered so it cost me like $5 dollars and it's good for 5 years of registration, and no inspection ever again. they gave me 1 plate for the rear
Attached Images

matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #40
Chada

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19673ontree View Post
like I said I can only speak for VA , but this said above is the biggest missunderstood part of the VA law , you are saying that a difference is made between
#1 ANTIQUE plates
and
#2 OLD ORIGINAL PLATES

In VA it is just ANTIQUE plates PERIOD you register the vehicle the same it's just the they give you a choice of using DMV supllied plate's or old original plates that match your vehicles year NO DIFFERENCE IN THE WAY ITS REGISTERED OR THE WAY IT CAN BE USED in other words my original 1967 plates ARE ANTIQUE PLATES
In Virginia you can use year of manufacture plates and register them as vintage instead of antique. If you register the plates as vintage you need to get an inspection and display stickers on them but can still use the year of manufacture plates and have no restrictions on driving the vehicle. I currently have them registered as antique. As you say Virginia has an "occasional pleasure use" exception which is a pretty large one but still makes it hard to explain if you drive the truck to work. I may just bite the bullet and change to vintage registration instead.

Last edited by Chada; 10-06-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Chada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #41
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthufham View Post
mine was already registered so it cost me like $5 dollars and it's good for 5 years of registration, and no inspection ever again. they gave me 1 plate for the rear
That's cool but as it says....

The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or carry advertising. The vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance.

That's why I don't want mine to be registered as an antique.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #42
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd View Post
From Texas DMV. It's the bottom paragraph in the section.
This page is not related to the state. That's why I didn't look around on it. I bet I could find something about YOM plates registered as a classic and have no restrictions like that site says though.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #43
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW DOUGH View Post
This page is not related to the state. That's why I didn't look around on it. I bet I could find something about YOM plates registered as a classic and have no restrictions like that site says though.
When you search the actual DMV, they direct you to this site.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #44
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

OK, I found it on the Application for Classic License Plates form. On the acctual Texas Department of Transportation web site.

`Old' License Plates: If you own license plates that are the same year as the classic vehicle, you have the option of using old plates
instead of new Classic specialty plates if the plates pass examination. The old license plates must be examined at your local
County Tax Assessor-Collector’s office or a VTR Regional Office before submitting this application. The old license plates must be
original plates in good, readable condition and have the same color scheme as the original Texas license plates.

Link to Application for Classic License Plates

Last edited by LOW DOUGH; 12-15-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #45
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd View Post
When you search the actual DMV, they direct you to this site.
Oh, well I didn't realize. I stand corrected.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #46
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: State antique license plates who has e'm ?

THIS IS AN AWESOME THREAD !!!

few point's I forgot and I will stick to just fact's about VA vintage / antique license plates

DMV dosen't care and will register any original plate's but if you want to be correct here is some fact's

#1 passenger car plate's started with the number 1 and went to 999-999
then started over with an A like A00-001
#2 truck plates had a T (LIKE MINE PICTURED) that would be for a regular use pickup truck , a truck for hire such as a wrecker had TH (TRUCK FOR HIRE)
#3 several other's were also used such as plates for a convertible car had CONV , taxi cab's and ambulance's had YH

anybody know of any other ones for VA let's hear it

19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #47
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: State antique license plates who has e'm ?

in the 50's and 60's most VA. counties had a county tag like mine pictured above , you got those when you paid your county tax ,,,talk about hard to find !
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #48
nicolas72gmc

This is kinda on topic and a little puzzling. My family and I live on 25 acres, alot of it is wooded. I was tromping through the woods and came up on a huge pile of 72 farm truck and 72 truck plates. There was a lot of old cans, parts of cars, trash barrels, etc. I started looking through them, alot of the bundles are all rusted together, there are some that are in decent shape. Most of them are trashed. I counted something like 400 plates in the pile. Someone had even set some for target practice. They are all green lettering and white background. Just thought I would share.

"Everyone has a plan, 'till they get punched in the mouth".........Mike Tyson

1968, GMC, SWB, Project
1972, GMC, LWB, Daily Driver, 383, headers, 2.5"/3" exhaust, 200r4, 3.5/5 ECE components.
1972, C/10, LWB, 350 vortec, th350
nicolas72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #49
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

What was said about vintage plates is true here in AZ. I am running an Arizona 66 plate with a 67 tag. Sense Arizona did not make plates for every year, the plate year AND tag must match what would have come on your truck when it was first regestered. Arizona made a 66 plate and then a 69 and then 73. Bummer 'cause it would have been way cool to have an AZ '67 plate for my stepper!

I drive my truck everyday. They do not have limits here on vintage cars, but the ins companies may regulate how much you drive depending on your policy.

D
Attached Images

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 10-07-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #50
matthufham

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW DOUGH View Post
That's cool but as it says....

The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or carry advertising. The vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance.

That's why I don't want mine to be registered as an antique.
i only use my truck for hauling big things like couches around town, matresses, tree branches few times a year, random trips to home depot for wood. i try to drive my truck once a month to keep it alive.

i have a camaro i drive daily.

Last edited by matthufham; 10-07-2009 at 01:22 AM.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote