The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2009, 03:14 AM   #26
mr mike

Re: Uh Oh...I'm In Trouble Now!!!

I had a Range Rover with the full air ride and let me tell you, I blow a air bag at 80mph and and all but killed my self. I went to the dealer Got it all fixed up and all but killed my self all over with a 2,800 bill for one air bad lol but it gets better 3 weeks later blow the one on the other side so i did a spring over kit and got rid of the air ride and sold that thing asap o and the gas mpg on a good day was 13 city 16
mr mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #27
blue714x4

I would suggest at least looking into a Toyota Sequoia. We purchased ours in dec 04 (05 model). At that time we had narrowed our search to 4runner and H2. You can guess who wanted what. Anyway in early dec 04 a press release came out about the investigation of the front wheel falling of the h2 so we went with Toyota. The dealer would not negotiate at all on the 4runner so we asked about the Sequoia which is made in indiana. We got the sr5 model cheaper then most limited 4 runner with the majority of the same options.
The miliage is 12-15 in town (4.7 liter) and 20 on the highway (70mph)
three things. I've been told the 5.7 model has better fuel economy better match for the size in stop and go traffic. But I have been very happy with the 4.7 and the car overall!

Few tidbits of information regarding purchase. Full disclosure.

If the highlander back then looked like it does now we would be driving a highlander.

If the h3 or fj were on the market chances are we would be driving one of them instead. My wife has a had time parking ours. Not that is hard but the problem is all in her head (scared she is going to hit something)

Get the extended warranty. The dealer included the Plat for free.
Not that we have any issues. We bought the vehicle in Virginia and since then we moved to Canada. In ontario they use a mixture of sand and salt that sticks to the inside of the rims that cause the wheel bearing to fail if you don't keep rims clean. (3 of the 4 were replaced at 600 a pop under warranty) They only other problem we had so far is the rear door electric motor failed which controls the window and wiper. (800). The price of the warranty is 1400.00 but if you tell the dealership your moving within 6 months then they might be more open to include it with the purchase.

We have 130,000 miles on the car now.
blue714x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #28
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

[quote=big_al_71;3593467]I am in the automotive business for 23 years and counting the Range rover is a piece of junk...she is going to find this out once you buy it for her....

Seems like you guys are into expensive vehicles since you see the rest how about seeing the best in it's class...quote]

My wifes' Lexus is a hand-me-down that we bought from her sister. She is happy as a pig in mud, even though it has 178K miles on it and is a '98. If she's happy, I'm ecstatic!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 10-30-2009 at 11:45 AM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #29
JoeChevy1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68jewel View Post
Fellow C10'ers, is it just me or has this happened to ya'll in some shape, form or fashion? Well, I have been spending money on my Chevelle for years and last year was fortunate enough to buy a '68 SWB C10 with the bosses approval if you know what I mean. While some wives won't go for one car, yet alone two, I feel real lucky and priviledged. I have spent ungodly amounts of money on my Chevelle and have been spending lots of money on my C10. She just has no idea of how much. I'd say....for every $1,000 I spend she thinks it's about $200. To make a long story short. She now wants a new car. A very expensive car at that....a 2010 Range Rover to be exact. While I have a garage full of toys she wants this Range Rover. So I know I better get it for her in order to keep doing my thing, but that Range Rover is going to cut into my C10 progress. Boy, oh boy!!!!! Am I in between a rock and a hard place or what? They say women are smarter than us men. It must have been a smooth set up all along, huh? What ya'll think?
You've been bagged and tagged buddy. Spend the dinero on the worthless Rover and enjoy your projects. Looks like your gonna have to change your focus to the C10.
JoeChevy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:04 PM   #30
CheyenneShop

First off, it sounds like your wife rocks - as she lets you do what you want without any fuss!

Women, really don't think about the reliability of the vehicle they like the looks & status. She wants it, she gets it! It's really that simple! She's got you hook line a sinker

But, if the Range Rover is always in the shop, she's going to have to drive something, soooo now the bait is all but turned around

"Honey, I need to make the C10/Chevelle drivable for you so when the Rover is in the shop again, you'll have some wheels!"

Best of luck with your NEW Range Rover
68 C/10 shorty - "Picacho" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428379 sold to "93redsled"

Have you heard about C10 Talk? C10 Talk is a podcast all about C10 Trucks, the builders, the vendors, and most importantly the C10 Community. Check us out online at www.c10talk.com
CheyenneShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #31
67chevemall

Hey at least you will have a great day towing the range rover home with the 68!!
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #32
txsilverado

My wife listens to me when I talk about cars. She allows me to think I have more knowlege on the subject. Explain to her clearly that you are willing to spend the same amount of $$ on a vehicle for her, just that you are very worried about her safety in a vehicle with such horrible reliability issues. Steer her to other options. Take it upon yourself to research the luxury SUV market and provide her with alternatives. If she is anything like my wife, she will come around and like one of the alternatives that you suggest.
txsilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #33
presto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTx68 View Post
Oh man I'm right there with ya!! I like to call it money laundering. Before I started building my C10 I put $4600 into my AR and carry weapon. As far as she knows I paid $500. My truck is even more on the down low.
Oh I see Hotrod math is the same concept as gun show math...
presto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #34
57larry

build her a muscle car or a nice wagon, let her pick out the color ect. that's what I did. "honey, I can't work on these new computer cars, let's build you a special car that will increase in value"
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #35
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronic View Post
When you bought your chevelle and your 68 did she try to talk you into getting something cheaper so she woulnd't have to dip into her hobby money?
just my .02
But did they cost as much as a 2010 Range Rover? If the answer is yes, then you are screwed. You can try to convince her to buy something better or safer, but not necessarily cheaper.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #36
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTx68 View Post
Oh man I'm right there with ya!! I like to call it money laundering. Before I started building my C10 I put $4600 into my AR and carry weapon. As far as she knows I paid $500. My truck is even more on the down low.
Yeah, I've got parts hidden throughout the garage and house that my wife knows nothing about. I take a little money at a time from my checking account and stash until I need parts.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #37
mclairmo

I've got a 2005 4WD Honda Pilot with 87,000 miles I bought brand new and no problems. The new ones are even better. Really really safe (check IIHS), can fit a 4x8 piece of plywood with the back seats folded flat, sits 8 people and has a powerful V6 that gets decent mileage. About $30,000.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #38
watahyahknow

like you said before she wants the range rover , she prolly has a gf driving or promised one or has fallen for the general shape of the car , nuttin mush to do about that

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #39
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Trust me fella's.....the wifes insistance on the Rover is purely socio-politically motivated. Expensive "Luxe" brands = status = envy from other females. She's obviously not down with the Yota's, Honda's, etc. Mostly because they don't convey the necessary sense of prestige to keep up with the Jones' and frankly they are like a$$h0les.... everbody's got one and they all stink! Nonetheless, I and my wife are big fans of German automobiles. Therefore for the money I would look into the Audi Q7 4.2 Prestige. Legendary Quattro AWD, superb build quality, as well as good looks and reliability. I'm with most other folks in believing the only good thing to come out of England in the last 50 years is Black Sabbath.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #40
Truck Dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingfodgy View Post
i'm with most other folks in believing the only good thing to come out of england in the last 50 years is black sabbath.
rofl
Truck Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:00 AM   #41
landsurvey1

How about some photos of the C-10 and the Chevelle? Let's see how nice of a Range Rover she should get!!
landsurvey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:58 AM   #42
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsurvey1 View Post
How about some photos of the C-10 and the Chevelle? Let's see how nice of a Range Rover she should get!!

Will do......coming soon!!

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:32 AM   #43
rob32472

when I got married my wise father told the key to a happy marriage is making a choice to be happy.... He son " Always remember when it comes to decisions with the wife you can either be happy or be right"
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #44
Daves72'GMC

Range rovers are junk, My brother had one and some kind of valve with the brakes kept going bad .It was under warranty , but cost $1,400 dollars to fix it each time and it happend 4 times in a short period of time , so he traded it in before the warranty was up for a 4-runner and has never had a problem with it.
Daves72'GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #45
txsilverado

Here's a long term reliability report on the Range Rovers.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...ge-rover-2.htm
txsilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #46
watahyahknow

whell theres an english car for yah
there was a saying here : if an english engine stops leaking its out of oil
from the looks of it its mostly electronics that fail so get a budget model with handcrank windows normal springs no nav and bleutooth (get a radio that has that ) and splash out on the leather and stuff that should fix most of the problems

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:44 AM   #47
70clone

Buy the range rover and when the warranty runs out get ready to have to sell the projects buddy because u think ur hobby is expensive wait till u own a rover. And guess what u cant even get a belt a ur local parts house u have to go on down to land rover take her in the service dept and let her speak with a few people
70clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #48
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

Update fellers.....after my much debating about how much of a piece of junk the Range Rover is she now wants the Porshe Cayenne. She also likes the new 4-door Porshe called the Panamera. We are going to go test drive them both sometime this week.

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #49
Jim_PA

I say lease the rover.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #50
PowerPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
I say lease the rover.
BING - then they have to give u a free loaner when it goes to the shop.

I like the idea of leasing any of those expensive SUV's first and then purchasing after the lease is up if u really like it. You may end up spending the same or a little more, but at least you'll have the option to get out of an expensive vehicle if it sucks really bad.

07 Yamaha 650 V-Star Custom

83 Honda V-45 Magna
PowerPro is offline   Reply With Quote