The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2009, 03:20 AM   #26
1949gmc

Re: What rust free floors look like

Where did you get your carpet kit from?
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #27
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949gmc View Post
Where did you get your carpet kit from?
It's from ACC (auto custom carpet) which I believe is the same kit that most of the vendors sell.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #28
Firebirdjones

Got the rollbar installed and the back seat recovered and installed, here are a couple pics.

I have one bucket seat done, still have to marhyde the console and recover one more bucket.

Seat belts need a serious cleaning though, next to all this new white interior really makes the seat belts look horrible Guess I'll try soaking them in bleach to see if it brings some of the white back out.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #29
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Everything looks good. That's an especially nice tire carrier you have there.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #30
Firebirdjones

Thanks to you Jtrux

And I went ahead and made the jack bracket myself. Even made a spring that looks like the original.
Figured that would be a hard thing to find, but very easy to make.
I have a whole 20 minutes in it And it's hard to tell the difference in the real thing thanks to the great pics that were posted.
Ooops, my speedo adapter slipped into the pic, I had a new one made to speed it up 50%,,,,yikes!!

And it works like a champ.

Front buckets are also done and installed. Put the seat belts back in and it's ready for the road again.

Merry Christmas!!!

Last edited by Firebirdjones; 12-24-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #31
BurnoutNova

Very nice Blazer. Too bad they don't make the Highlander seat covers that would have been neat to be able to put them back on. Iv'e only seen 1 highlander blazer before!

Last edited by BurnoutNova; 12-25-2009 at 06:52 PM.
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #32
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutNova View Post
Very nice Blazer. Too bad they don't make the Highlander seat covers that would have been neat to be able to put them back on. Iv'e only seen 1 highlander blazer before!
Actually Chris (Yellowblazer) from this site who hooked me up with seat covers,,,offered the original Highlander pattern (in orange even). He had a contact that had the material. It added another $200 to the price of the covers.
The price wasn't a big deal, but we had decided to go with a houndstooth pattern, my wife seemed to like that a bit better.
I'm not building a concours truck anyway, it's a daily driver/family hauler and I wanted the insides to be presentable and comfy for everyone.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #33
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
Actually Chris (Yellowblazer) from this site who hooked me up with seat covers,,,offered the original Highlander pattern (in orange even). He had a contact that had the material. It added another $200 to the price of the covers.
The price wasn't a big deal, but we had decided to go with a houndstooth pattern, my wife seemed to like that a bit better.
I'm not building a concours truck anyway, it's a daily driver/family hauler and I wanted the insides to be presentable and comfy for everyone.
I was unaware you could get the Highlander pattern. That's pretty cool someone is making it. But as they say it's your truck build it the way you want it! I am doing houndstooth in my K10... I already have the covers but I just dont want to take the seats out, then I can't drive it!
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #34
BLUE THUNDER

Dude, that is one clean Blazer. I can honestly say i'm jealous. The carpet and seat covers and carpet look great. Can't wait to see more pics of it.
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #35
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutNova View Post
I was unaware you could get the Highlander pattern. That's pretty cool someone is making it. But as they say it's your truck build it the way you want it! I am doing houndstooth in my K10... I already have the covers but I just dont want to take the seats out, then I can't drive it!
I feel the same way, I hate to tear it down for any length of time, then I have to get other cars out of the garage to drive that I don't want to
I knocked everything out in about 5 days, it wasn't too bad.

I'm not sure if anyone is actually making the highlander material, but Chris did find a contact that had some, and I assumed it was NOS stuff, I didn't ask. To have it in the right color even was a rare treat, half of me says I should have gone with it anyway, but my better half had some say in it
Having a 69Z with houndstooth has alot to do with it, once she found out houndstooth could be had on the truck covers that was all she wrote
Too bad we cover all the seats in white beach towels that my wife sewed up, can't really see any of it anyway,,,lol.

Last edited by Firebirdjones; 12-26-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #36
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE THUNDER View Post
Dude, that is one clean Blazer. I can honestly say i'm jealous. The carpet and seat covers and carpet look great. Can't wait to see more pics of it.
Thanks for the kudos. It turned out pretty good considering the time I spent.
I'll probably do a build thread when I get the ambition to start the LQ4/4L80E swap and should have a ton of pics along the way.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #37
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
Thanks for the kudos. It turned out pretty good considering the time I spent.
I'll probably do a build thread when I get the ambition to start the LQ4/4L80E swap and should have a ton of pics along the way.
If I wasn't jealous enough!! An LS in that beauty will be the best of both worlds!!
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #38
Firebirdjones

Sharing a few more pics. Here are the front seats and a few outside shots.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #39
Firebirdjones

Old 01-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #40
Firebirdjones

Here is a shot of the original motor that was redone in 99 due to a flat cam lobe with only 40,000 on the clock. Now with 75,000 miles so it's been done a while but not driven much. It was built with forged internals and a smallish crane cam, but they reinstalled the stock intake with a crappy spacer and a 650 spread bore holley that ran super fat.
Until yesterday that is, I installed an intake and an old 750 holley I had laying around. Went ahead and switched it over to an electronic distributor I had sitting in another motor. Still getting the carb dialed in but it's already running much better than before. Needs more squirter and some more driving with the wideband to get the jetting just right. It's already getting better mileage than before.
Just tinkering but it's all for not since I am pulling the motor/tranny for the LS swap. I will tackle that after winter is over and my son is out of school so I can park the thing for a longer period of time.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #41
Shock_Me

Looks great! Love that new interior!

Pete
Shock_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #42
Firebirdjones

Thanks Pete. It sure is a pleasure to drive now. Smells better too
Old 01-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #43
Shock_Me

Hahaha, I hear ya!
Just wondering which orange your Blazer is. It's not Hugger Orange is it? There were two orange options in 72 as far as I know.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #44
Firebirdjones

Well,,,,the glove box sticker calls it Medium Olive. Looks like a very light orange to me, very close to the huggers I've seen. My chevelle is also orange, but a darker shade than hugger, can't remember the name of it off hand though.

I know on the cars hugger was a 69 color, but was carried over in 1970-72 on special order. My 72 chevelle was a special order paint, (aka: no paint code) of the same thing, but the shade seems a bit darker than the blazer.
I wasn't aware of it but maybe GM did the same thing with the trucks.

Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-03-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #45
Shock_Me

Interesting. I really like orange on these trucks. A true 60's/70's color. My 68 short fleet is orange, but it's acutally a Jeep color called Impact orange. Whenever i do my frame-up on it I'll probally go with Hugger though.

Pete
Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #46
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock_Me View Post
Interesting. I really like orange on these trucks. A true 60's/70's color. My 68 short fleet is orange, but it's acutally a Jeep color called Impact orange. Whenever i do my frame-up on it I'll probally go with Hugger though.

Pete
Cool, I've always been a fan of orange. Have had my chevelle for 25 years so it kinda grows on ya
I like the different colors anyway more so than your typical black/blue/red colors. I've painted alot of cars and restored muscle cars from the 60's/70's and find that alot of the colors are the same, it's just the different manufactures called it something else. Such as Carasol Red on the 69 GTO Judge is actually Hugger Orange.
My 71 Ventura is paint code 75 called Cardinal Red, but it's the same color used by Chevrolet in 1970 that was called Cranberry Red.

Interesting on the jeep color called Impact Orange. Jeep was owned by Chrysler at one time, and Chrysler had their version of orange called Hemi Orange in the late 60's early 70's, but it sure looks the same. As a matter of fact, High Impact colors was part of Chryslers sale pitch back then, if you remember names like Sassy Grass, Plum Crazy etc....
Funny how the colors float around from one make to another and just the name changes.

I have no idea why mine is called Medium Olive. The first thing that comes to mind when you say Olive is Green But it doesn't surprise me. My wifes 71 Vette color is called War Bonnet Yellow, But it's definately a rich Gold. Not sure where they get some of these names from

Sorry to ramble....
Old 01-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #47
Firebirdjones

This isn't a great picture but you can see part of the chevelle there. You can tell right away it's a darker shade than my blazer. Definately appears to have a bit more red in it. In the sun it's bright orange like Hugger, But as the sun sets you see more red in it.
Parked next to a hugger orange car you can see a slight shade difference. Could be the person that mixed the paint that day.
It was a special order paint in 72 (no code on the data tag) but the build sheet has some hand writtin remarks about the paint on it. Can't remember what they called it off hand, I'd have to dig it out. For some reason Flame Orange comes to mind. But it looks like Hugger.

Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-03-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #48
msgross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post

HERE YOU ARE

Not sure why I am helping you out after rubbing our noses in your rust free floors!!
my thoughts exactly... I should go outside and launch a snowball towards Arizona!
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #49
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
my thoughts exactly... I should go outside and launch a snowball towards Arizona!
It would probably melt before it hit the ground, it was close to 60 here today
Old 01-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #50
Shock_Me

That's a beautiful car! I'd like to see more pics of that one!

FYI the Medium Olive was indeed a light shade of green. Not sure why it's on your SPID in your glovebox. Maybe the glovebox door was replaced at some point? The rest of your Blazer definitely looks factory orange judging by the floors and the firewall. That or someone did a fantastic job changing the color of the Blazer.

Cheers
Pete