The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #26
tswore
built not bought

Re: project: what ya doin that for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveway Dreams View Post
Cool progress. What are you welding with? And have you completely ruled out a short dually? I too love that look and have thought it would be cool with the lift and all. I think it would really stand apart.
I have a Hobart Handler 125 wire feed, and a Lincoln 220 stick welder. We used the wire feed for the frame, got great penetration, and the stick for the fishplate. Yea, I dont want a dually. I would look super sweet, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Seems to me that 53" springs are going to be too long for a truck with 52" springs.
That would over extend the shackles. With weight on the springs the shackles should be close to vertical.
I believe the 52 and 56" measurements are with weight on them.
So the 53" springs might, once there is weight on them, extend out close to 56"

just my thoughts on it
I'm sure that if you talk to whoever you got them from, they can enlighten us all

I think the 'burb tank is over 40 gallons
I was wondering if it would fit, I have heard it will. I haven't measured yet though.
I hadn't thought about the loaded length, you might be right. The 40 plus sounds right on the tank. It will fit, but it will be over the pumpkin. Probably not a problem since I am going up with it. Definitely wouldnt work on a dropped rig.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:32 AM   #27
tswore
built not bought

Ok, more fun! The springs I got were the right ones. When I went out to put the lift on the back I realized that I couldnt just move the spring perches inward. I had to swap all the hangers from the parter cuz he shocks need to go on the outside of the frame to make room for the gas tank. So, all the hangers and the crossmembers got pulled from the parter, and then I loaded it on the trailer. I found out that it is MUCH easier to load a rig on a trailer when it has axles on it. I used a floor jack, engine hoist, and a come-along to get it on the trailer. not fun. Bolted the hangers on the truck with fresh grade 8 hardware, installed the new leafs, and the axle. Im pretty excited to have it a roller again. I pushed it out on the driveway to take a look, and while it was out gave the garage a much needed cleaning. PICS!
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2010, 03:08 AM   #28
lownfast
Gettinlow & Goinfast

i like this truck aaaaaaaaaalot!
70' Chevelle #EvilAnnie Lsx/4L80/S475 turbo-
85' C20 crew, 5.3/6L90/S475 turbo-
68' C10 5.3/4L60/Level 2 coil overs
Facebook- Protouringtexasdotcom
Instagram- @Protouringtexas
lownfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #29
79gmc5.3
6.0L power.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswore View Post
Ok, I got the cuts dressed and all ready for welding. I had to wire a temporary 220 plug off the main panel to plug in the welder. My buddy came over (blue sweater) and taught me the ways of the welder after a couple hours, we had it welded up and sitting on the ground!
This is a great build!! Will be watching this one.....
1995 Mustang GT 347
79gmc5.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #30
joe231

That thing look super COOL!!
nice work!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #31
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Looks good! Any more pics with the bed on?
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #32
tswore
built not bought

Thanks for the comments guys. No new pics right now though, the last couple weekends have been a bust. This last weekend the wife and I went to vegas for a garth brooks concert (which was bad-ass, we were close enough to read "Takamine" on hid guitar!) and the previous weekend I had some honey-dos. I have however mounted the gas tank, figured out what I need to do to get it to fit better, painted the frame, and installed the sway bar drop kit and dropped the t-case. And, I bought some new wheels! I will have updates ad pics this weekend.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #33
McMurray76

subscribing for sure
McMurray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #34
tswore
built not bought

Since the last post i haven't got a whole lot done, but every little bit helps. I removed the gas tank crossmembers from the suburban and put them on the truck. painted the gas tank and straps and put it all together. tried to put the bed on and realized it didnt fit. the filler neck was pointed straight at the high part of the frame rail, and the back side of the tank sat above the low part of the frame and hit a bed support. so i turned the tank around 180 degrees, and lowered the front crossmember to the lower flange of the frame instead of the high flange. that put the filler neck right above the low part of the frame. the tank still sits above the frame rails and is hitting the bed support, but i will trim that and reinforce it later. I removed the fuel tank switcher thingy (technical term im sure) from inside the pass side frame and extended the fuel lines to the tank. temporarily hooked up the fuel pump to see if she would fire but no luck yet. I will troubleshoot later. this week i will have my drive line shortened, and with any luck i will have a running truck next weekend. here are some pics of the tank installed, and my new wheels!
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #35
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

i like it
87 chevy silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #36
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Coming along well. Those wheels should look really nice on there too. Good luck with the troubleshooting.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #37
OYMC
Account Suspended

Nice wheels!

Looks like we have a common interest in wheels and trucks!
Attached Images

OYMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #38
OYMC
Account Suspended

Fuel tank options

I am having a problem with Fuel tank placement and fitment. The stock tanks will not fit where they were unless I drop the brackets. This option is out because I don't want to look at them hanging under the truck.

I have a blazer fuel tank like the one you are using, but my shocks mounts have already been welded to the axle, and bolted to the chassis, and it interferes with the location of the tank.. This option is out...

If you have any ideas I would love to hear them...
Old 03-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #39
joe231

Re: Fuel tank options

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYMC View Post
I am having a problem with Fuel tank placement and fitment. The stock tanks will not fit where they were unless I drop the brackets. This option is out because I don't want to look at them hanging under the truck.

I have a blazer fuel tank like the one you are using, but my shocks mounts have already been welded to the axle, and bolted to the chassis, and it interferes with the location of the tank.. This option is out...

If you have any ideas I would love to hear them...
you need one or two short-bed tanks....
Old 03-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #40
Mr.Chevy4x4

Ok, let me start off by saying it's your truck and you can do with it what you want. I understand that everyone has different tastes. Seeing you cut this amazingly clean very RARE truck up makes me cringe! I've been looking for a clean example like yours for years. It's like finding a needle in a hay stack. '91 was the ONLY year a 4L80E was available in a square body, and also the only vehicle (91 crew cab K30) that ever had a 4l80e with a NP205 transfer case.

It's going to be a really cool ride when you are done, it's just a shame that such a rare truck was the starting point! Good luck with the build, and as much as it hurts I'm still going to follow along!

Mike
Mr.Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:20 AM   #41
OYMC
Account Suspended

I'm picking up a pair of 1/2 ton short bed tanks tomorrow... Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 03-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #42
69face

very nice build! i love short beds

I'M SO SO CAL!
69face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #43
tswore
built not bought

Thanks for the comments, guys. This weekend I didnt have much time on the truck, but I did get it running! The problem was a blown fuse So, after it fired I finished cleaning up the wiring for the fuel tank switch, and the old trailer brake wiring and cleaned up the shop. This week I will get the RIGHT front brake lines and the driveline shortened, then drive it around!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #44
tswore
built not bought

So, apparently the brake lines I received are the correct ones, the guy from rough country says I just need to file out the mount where the hard line ends. I dont know if that is bs or not, but I did it on the pass side last night and it seems to work fine. I also got the driveline back from the shop, looks like he did a fine job shortening/balancing it. I got the wrong ujoint tho. The one i got is too big for the 1/2 on axle. I wil go go see him today to get another. Tonight I will finish the front brake lines. This weekend is lookin pretty good for a test run!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #45
buckshot305

Awesome truck! That blown big block ought to melt those tires, BUT.... A 12v P-pumped Cummins would blow them right off! Why didn't you swap knuckles on the front axle to SRW knuckles to keep the one ton axles? I'm assuming you have a D60/14FF combo right? What axles did you swap in? Nice work, keep it up!
buckshot305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #46
tswore
built not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot305 View Post
Awesome truck! That blown big block ought to melt those tires, BUT.... A 12v P-pumped Cummins would blow them right off! Why didn't you swap knuckles on the front axle to SRW knuckles to keep the one ton axles? I'm assuming you have a D60/14FF combo right? What axles did you swap in? Nice work, keep it up!
Thanks! I had originally planned on using wheels and tires I already had to keep the cost of the project down a bit. I didnt have 8 lug wheels, so out came the axles. I got the axles I put on it basically for free, so no big deal. Then, I decided to lift it, so I got bigger tires. Then I didnt like the way the tires sat inside the fenders, so I got new wheels. I probably should have stayed with the 1 ton axles, since I ended up buying new wheels and tires, but thats how the project ended up. Im super pleased with the way it is gonna look, and cat wait to get it back on the road
Old 04-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #47
tswore
built not bought

Last weekend I got the brake lines done, and the driveline in and took it for a test run. This weekend all I got done on it was set the bed on, collect some parts, and install the battery. I pulled it out on the driveway for some pics tho! This week in the evenings I will try to button up the fuel pump wiring, secure the new fuel lines to the frame, run a new filler hose, and mount the bed and bumper. Then it will be ready to hit the road. I would be getting more done on it, but the further along the pregnant wife gets, the less able she is to perform her usual duties. And, fixing her Denali stole some truck time too. pics!
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #48
joe231

Looking good!!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #49
Devillusion

Lovin' this build.......my exact plans for my 2wd, except she'll be staying a dually. Looks great!!!

any chances you could post your frame measurements and go into a bit more detail on the cutting, and box mounting process?

thanks!!!
Devillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #50
Pullin81

looking good...i was getting excited with the frame chop there, thought i was going to see a short box dually crew cab...i wanted to do that with mine but decided i like the long truck plus mines a 2wd on bags with a cummins conversion....i would like to find one more crew cab and do what your doing but put a duramax in it... keep up the good work man ill be checkin in for updates
Pullin81 is offline   Reply With Quote