The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #26
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Re: Rodents

Have you asked if they want to be board members?

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #27
epashhans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceman1968 View Post
KEL As a smart alec I will recommend .pic 1. And as a serious answer I will recommend pic 2...I caught 3 with the bucket and the corn snake got the rest. With the 5 gal bucket drill a hole through the corn cob then string the wire through and when the critter puts his feet on it, it spins and the rodent falls in to the bucket. You can put 3-5 inches of water in the bottom and the rodent will die. I didn't use water so I relocated the critters elsewhere. Then clean out the nest. Your truck is a DD so just put the bucket on the pass side floor in front of the seat and in a night or two or 3 you should have caught the mice. My cousins use this method on the farm and they have trapped 100s over the years....
We have done the same thing with a pop can and then you put peanut butter on the can. Then we put a stick down to the ground from the edge of the bucket. They go up, reach out to get the peanut butter, it rolls and in they go. Works pretty good. Water and dead mice gets really nasty, really quick. Especially in a hot shed in the summer!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #28
tim21391

we bought a 66 mustang that we are going to restore when i get my truck done.. and it was sittin in a barn/car port for years so we knew that there was something in there so the car had a small bear trap in the trunk we found.. put peanut butter on it and about an hour later we had this caught.. it was still alive so we beat it to death with a screw driver

2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #29
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

When we bought our house it had been vacant for an extended period of time. They had "winterized" the toilets with antifreeze. I turned the water on and flushed the commodes. One was running slow. I ended up fishing 20 some "pickled" mice out of the trap.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #30
292farmer

mmmm pickled mice yum ive found a chipmunk(live) clogging the carb on my c60 he musta been sleeping in intake then got sucked in? was stuck in butterflys took us ten mins to figure out why that normally torquy 401v6 was acting like a honda
2005 chevy cobalt 2.2l
292farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #31
treveiger

if your storing it or not driving it very often get a truck cover an a big heavy duty tarp to wrap around your truck an drive your tuck onto the tarp then put the truck cover on your truck an lift the tarp over your truck(with the truck cover on the truck to prevent it from hurting the paint) then strap the tarp all around the truck so you wont have to worry about it blowing off an put rat posoin an everything else you can think of around the covered truck to keep the rats from getting in your truck.
treveiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #32
lt704

We had aproblem with mice getting into our camper during off season. We bought whole cloves ( at the dollar store ) and put them on paper plates inside the camper, mice gone, no bad smell.
lt704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #33
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

TBH I think the main thing is to keep the population down as a whole so bait and traps all year round to knock the whole population down helps.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #34
treveiger

subscribing
treveiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #35
nyncompute

Ive found rodent nesting material from the days of the po. Although I've found more of those dirt wasp type nests than I can count. What the hell are those things anyway? Found them everywhere. lol
Old 10-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #36
flashed

I keep a couple of buckets without a lid in my shop with a little bit of anti freeze in them (no pets ) and keep baits and glue traps scattered around outside .Have not had a problem with them in a while .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #37
nvrsatisfied

last winter i had to much stuff on the shop floor, for the mice to hide behind. so i would turn out all the lights but one. put about a spoonful of peanut butter on the floor in the lighted area, while me and my son hid in the shadows with BB guns and let the good times begin.

my son is now one of the best 8yr old shooters you could ever meet

(dang mice are part of why i have put my build on a small hold. been dumping money into the shop to get it cleaned up and have good proper storage...they tore up all kinds of stuff i had setting around..)

72 cheyenne super
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811512

55 chevy truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=840174
nvrsatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #38
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

I have lived on Lopez Island and I know what you mean about mice in your area .. I think the things like stricky pads or traps or moth balls are best because I know from expericence that where you have a lot of rodents like mice you dont want to put any bait out as it will draw many more to the area .. also the wire mesh under the cowl is a very good idea ..
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #39
1ATony

I had a mouse run up the car cover on my Mustang last year,so what I do is let my two cats and Beagle play in the garage a few days a week to scare them away.
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #40
heavy71chevy

Four Rat traps baited with penut butter and antifreeze took care of my mice problem in my old 66' elco
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #41
bestchevyfan

Talking Re: Rodents

PUT A SNAKE UNDER THE SEAT HE WILL EAT THEM. LATER
bestchevyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #42
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Nyncompute: "Although I've found more of those dirt wasp type nests than I can count. What the hell are those things anyway?"

Those are the incubators / nests for next years' wasps. The wasps are what we always called "mud daubers" or "dirt daubers" when I was a kid on the farm.

The adult wasps (females) catch spiders by stinging them, & then carry them to the mud nest, & then lay an egg on the sleeping spider & seal them up inside the mud nest. Spider is in suspended animation & the wasp egg hatches into a larvae in the spring, & the spider gets to be the guest of honor at the banquet. The baby wasp eats the spider, matures & bores his way out of the mud, & is the next years' adult wasp.

Find a mud nest in the autumn or winter that hasn't been bored-out with holes & break it open. It'll be filled with dozens of sleeping spiders ........

Yuck !!!!!!!!!!! But that's how it works. Nature's plan.

Google: http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/bmuddaub.html

Last edited by 68shortstep; 10-20-2010 at 05:11 PM.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #43
nyncompute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortstep View Post
Nyncompute: "Although I've found more of those dirt wasp type nests than I can count. What the hell are those things anyway?"

Those are the incubators / nests for next years' wasps. The wasps are what we always called "mud daubers" or "dirt daubers" when I was a kid on the farm.

The adult wasps (females) catch spiders by stinging them, & then carry them to the mud nest, & then lay an egg on the sleeping spider & seal them up inside the mud nest. Spider is in suspended animation & the wasp egg hatches into a larvae in the spring, & the spider gets to be the guest of honor at the banquet. The baby wasp eats the spider, matures & bores his way out of the mud, & is the next years' adult wasp.

Find a mud nest in the autumn or winter that hasn't been bored-out with holes & break it open. It'll be filled with dozens of sleeping spiders ........

Yuck !!!!!!!!!!! But that's how it works. Nature's plan.

Google: http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/bmuddaub.html
Thats so weird ..who knew.. I've tore a few apart and guess what I found in them..spider skeletons.lol. Learn something new every day.
I have to get out of the desert and see more of the world.