The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #26
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: No Limit's "K-10"

4wd could be done if you could get the control arms from a mid 90's 1/2 ton and use the front diff and tcase. Possibly build your own cross member and tubular control arms and put an air bag behind the cv shaft instead of using torsion bar type of springs like GM did. The axle shaft goes right through the spindle on these and is similar to front wheel cars so getting it low should be easy enough. Clock your tcase with a spacer or what ever and you'd be good to go. I knew a guy whom had a 03 (or so) Duramax named Nasty Girl. His truck was a 4wd that looked like a slammed 2wd. His truck was one of, if not the first duramax to hit 1000hp. I was in Michigan and got to ride with him and a Z06 rolled up and tried getting nasty with him. The corvette owner wasn't happy when this ccsb pick up pulled away from him with out a problem. I'd go that route if you can get the pieces together and make it handle like you need it to.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #27
406 Q-ship

Hey Rob, congrats on the back to back. I know what your saying about the competition will even be tougher next year, I live in the middle of the tough competition (that is why I only do it for the fun of it). I even toyed with the idea of making my 67 C10 handle but to be honest I don't want to get distracted from the Chevelle (yeah like that isn't always happening). I like the wide 5 idea but like said you rims will be an issue, I know the guy who has Lucky's old 1970 Chevelle with wide 5's. He is basicly stuck with 15" tires and the only good tires for it are racing bred, that throws him out of the competition before it even starts. Unless you want to build your own wheels or adapters, the wide 5 are kind of a non-starter (cool though). Have you looked at doing a PBR (or Brembo) Corvette brake set up on this project, the weight should be good and the performance can be outstanding. I see the largest issues with building a truck is always the weight bias and the center of gravity is too high. Weight bias can be addressed through engine/trans placement (how much drive comfort is needed really?), I am thinking engine set back and then use the Corvette T56 transaxle deal in the rear. Center of gravity your plain hosed, but I would cut out every piece of extra weight above the belt line and use thin glass or lexan windows (chopped top?). This will work in line with weight reduction too, if you can get it to 3200 to 3400 lbs look out. Like you said with the added weight comes the need for more torque and HP which are not necessarly autocross/tire friendly. Contact patch is the next big area I would be looking at, which just means the widest tire you can cut the truck up to fit.
I drove Brian's Camaro at Labor Day Cruise and without the weight of the windows and converible top in the car, it is a freakin' slot car. BTW I ended up cutting a faster time the second run in Brians car than I had run up to that point in my Chevelle, do you know how hard it was to get back into my car after that. I did end up with a better over all time in my Chevelle but I had to really work the car for it and I have alot heavier car without the big HP.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #28
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Awesome news Rob. Looking at your philosophy on Silver Bullet, and the Joe Touring trucks I encourage you to stick with that plan. Since you plan to attend several different styles of events. a truck built with as many off the shelf, or OEM parts would be my suggestion. If you can dominate those events with a truck built from common parts, your competition will go nuts.

I feel it will encourage average Joe to bring his garage built truck out and join in on the fun. Equally as important will be the notoriety it will bring to you and your shop if you can stand tall with the big names and not break the bank doing it.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-23-2011 at 09:21 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #29
70-Shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Awesome news Rob. Looking at your philosophy on Silver Bullet, and the Joe Touring trucks I encourage you to stick with that plan. Since you plan to attend several different styles of events. a truck built with as many off the shelf, or OEM parts would be my suggestion. If you can dominate those events with a truck built from common parts, your competition will go nuts.

I feel it will encourage average Joe to bring his garage built truck out and join in on the fun. Equally as important will be the notoriety it will bring to you and your shop if you can stand tall with the big names and not break the bank doing it.
this is a great post, very true....it seems like so many friends and acquaintenances are all doing chassis, brake and engine upgrades and going autocrossing lately. Lots of interest here in so cal, especially with Adams Motorsports Park so close, hell, it was even on the ch 2 news the other night. My buddies El Co was just in Drive magazine showcasing CPP's big brakes and running at Adams. Hopefully i can enter the fray too.
Tim
02 Ford F-150 Harley-Davidson supercharged 5.4
2000 Harley Roadking Hot Bike Baggers Mag Shoot
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...oot/?start=all
some truck lettering & flame jobs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4950319...7602894916215/
70-Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #30
robnolimit

Thanks guys. You got it right. The weight balance is a BIG disadvantage. the 'Bullit weighs 3380, 57% nose weight, and the CG is 29" off the ground. NOT GOOD. The camaros are 3200 lbs, 51% and 22", or less. But, as bad as it is, we ran .16 sec faster than the Detroit Speed '69 camaro in Columbus, and were only .084 sec off of Brian Finch's '70. Both are FAST cars. So, my goal is to be better than the numbers. 3100 lbs, 53% nose, and 24" CG. If I can do that, I think I can beat most of the fast cars. (or ALL of them) Q-Ship Labor day is always a lot of fun, and I've drivin Brett's camaro and I'm really impressed with it. Vette parts are on the radar, but the downside of the spindle is the height of the sreering arm, pushing the rack, and with it the motor, up. So, we'll see. Shorty It's cool to see the movement toward good handling cars. James El-co is coming on strong. As what works for him will work for all A-bodies, its a good platform to see built. We need another track night after SEMA.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #31
robnolimit

Empty cab with no doors or back glass. 473lbs!!!!! WOW It's diet time.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #32
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Can you run Lexan or something similar? That could knock some off. The tank will net some lost as well.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #33
robnolimit

Lexan in the back is a go, but we have to run glass in front. If 2800 lbs is the goal, and the motor/trans/power plant is appx 800 lbs, then everything else has to come up less than 2000. Thats for chassis, body, suspension, wheels, tires, interior bla-bla-bla...
So, no way can the can be 20% of the total. How light can we make it?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #34
67cheby
67cheby

aluminum , firewall / floor and dash ?
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #35
406 Q-ship

How do you feel about a roadster pick-up? Does anyone do a fiberglass door for the 67-72 Pick-up?

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
Old 10-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #36
70-Shorty

do some carbon fiber panels here and there, maybe a hood and some fenders. I'm sure these guys will lighten it up a ton...
Tim
Old 10-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #37
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
How do you feel about a roadster pick-up? Does anyone do a fiberglass door for the 67-72 Pick-up?
Nope, got to be full body. We're looking for light panels, but most of the glass parts are heavier than the steel ones. Trent Sommers, back in indiana, says he got his doors down to 17 lbs. ???? WHAT?? is there anything left?

Old 10-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #38
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70-Shorty View Post
do some carbon fiber panels here and there, maybe a hood and some fenders. I'm sure these guys will lighten it up a ton...
Tim
Hey man, if you know anyone that will lay-up CF hoods and fenders, let me know.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #39
72k5zl1

i was working with a guy in oregon on inner fenders and a rad support but he didn't think the truck market was strong enough and i couldn't afford to do it on my own. i can look for his # and see if he will revisit the idea.
72k5zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #40
65Short

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
Nope, got to be full body. We're looking for light panels, but most of the glass parts are heavier than the steel ones. Trent Sommers, back in indiana, says he got his doors down to 17 lbs. ???? WHAT?? is there anything left?

What about Aluminum door skins? You could use a panel bonding adhesive to attach it to the frame. Couldn't make a huge difference, but it would have to help. I've been thinking about this ever since I started reading "Make it Handle."

Also, get rid of the function to the vent windows. use aluminum channel and fix the glass (or lexan) to the frame. Should hopefully drop some more weight.

Last edited by 65Short; 10-25-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Added thought.
65Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #41
70-Shorty

Quote:
TRU KARBON COMPOSITES
(951) 231-8897
6909 Crest Ave, Riverside, CA 92503
he did a friends pro mod camaro (Hairston Motorsports) a few years ago, did a killer job. Built a complete front end for a twin turbo set up.
Tim
Old 10-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #42
jmuck67

Check into Anvil Auto. I know they make some nice muscle car carbon pieces.

Also, if you look into a GM auto, talk to the guys at Finish Line Transmissions, they have their program together big time.

I like where this is going. Best of luck and I can't wait to see what you guys end up with.
jmuck67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:13 AM   #43
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmuck67 View Post
Check into Anvil Auto. I know they make some nice muscle car carbon pieces.

Also, if you look into a GM auto, talk to the guys at Finish Line Transmissions, they have their program together big time.

I like where this is going. Best of luck and I can't wait to see what you guys end up with.
I second Anvil Auto....
http://anvilauto.com/contact.php

Anvil Auto Inc.
122 Arena St.
El Segundo, CA 90245
1-888-723-8882
Mon- Fri 9am - 5pm PST

support@anvilauto.com - any technical product questions
orders@anvilauto.com - order related issues, refunds, tracking , etc.
info@anvilauto.com - ideas, comments, or non-technical questions

They were at SEMA last year and probably will be this year. Not sure if they are going to OUSCI or not...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #44
dougminton

you can acid dip the cab and sheetmetal to thin it some.
Posted via Mobile Device

1972 GMC SWB
454 oval ports
TH400

fastest 1/4 mile time so far
13.05 @ 104

If you think you have too much horsepower
you obviously have a traction problem !
dougminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #45
406 Q-ship

Quote:
What about the guys at Anvil?

Old 10-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #46
Mike Bradbury

Don't mean to side track or derail the conversation but I saw a show on National Geographic channel that reminded me of the 4x4 concept we were discussing several posts back. The show just aired tonight so the link only goes to a preview for the episode, but this guy has built a rock crawler that is chain driven. Meaning there is only one axle in the middle of the truck and four articulating chains going to all four wheels. I am wondering if this could be a concept for an extreme auto crosser. There are scenes in the show where he has the pedal to the metal and has some high RPM on the chains and it looks to handle it with no problem at all. If the show reruns it is a good one to watch. The truck is called "The Missing Link".

http://www.rcdon.com/html/nat_geo_s_...ists__tv_.html

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #47
smbrouss70

Quote:
Vette parts are on the radar, but the downside of the spindle is the height of the sreering arm, pushing the rack, and with it the motor, up. So, we'll see.
I know that Art Morrison has C6 spindles with a dropped steering arm. Just an FYI.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #48
robnolimit

This whole weight thing has me re-thinking my aproach. I may have to go a bit more to the wild side on this one. We got in some rule books last week. Bonneville, Pike's Peak, and some rules for the Flying mile in Tx. Lots to think about to build one truck that is legal in all competition and still drive down the street. So, lots to check out at SEMA. If your interested, check out our facebbok page at www.facebook.com/nolimithotrods, we going to do live updates and video from the show.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #49
robnolimit

Just back from SEMA. It looks as though Truckin Magazine has in interest in covering the build, and ongoing testing, of our new project. A big thanks to Dan Ward for making this happen for us. Also, Bill Hollowel has added a new event to his Pro Touring style madness. The new event, Run to the Alamo, will be held in feb. 2012, and is open to all years. Check it out on www.Pro-Touring.com. Truckin magazine is also putting together some autcross shootout events in the future. Stay tuned.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #50
robnolimit

A sneak peak at K-10
Attached Images