The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #26
gtcox

Re: Backwoods '66

Good news! Talked to a friend with fabrication stuff and we're going to try to fix/build the damaged crossmembers next Saturday. Might be a good chance to secretly get accustomed to welding. Not that there's any need to do it secretly now. Apparently the welder taboo was lifted without my knowledge. So we'll see how long it takes before I buy my own setup. Also, the friend says that he knows a guy with a barn full of tranny parts and such *heavenly music plays* so hopefully when it comes time to do that he can hook me up with a good and reasonably priced setup. This guy also likes encouraging my big block dreams. Again, why can't I have 500hp with reasonable gas mileage!

That's all for now. Will try to remember my camera for the crossmember build Saturday. Stay tuned for another chapter in Chevy build madness!
gtcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #27
McMurphy

Craigslist is awesome for welding set ups!
and congrats on all the work you got done, funny thing, I have a shop hat as well....

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
gtcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Craigslist is awesome for welding set ups!
and congrats on all the work you got done, funny thing, I have a shop hat as well....
Everyone needs a good shop hat! Unless a shower of sparks and grime in their hair [or lack thereof] is what does it for them.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #29
gtcox

Back with engine questions:

Looking for a good cam/head combo for my SBC 305. I pulled the stock 601 heads off and what I presume to be the stock cam out. I want the new stuff to sound a little mean, but don’t want to have to mill down heads or do any porting. I like Comp Cam’s 268H cam and #059 305 vortec heads, but it sounds like there might be a valve clearance issue. I’m wanting to run this with my existing 750cfm Q-Jet carb that’s in great shape. And I’m wanting to throw on an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. Has anyone had experience with a similar setup?

I really would like the 400-500hp that a 454 or 502 BBC could offer. However, with the hills around here I'd be lucky to get 10mpg. So I think for now [until I change my mind again] I'm going to go with the 305 and maybe drop a big block in later.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #30
ctandc

Great build. Looks like you’re doing a great job.

With that in mind, and the fact that you are already in this deep, you need to seriously consider ditching the 305.

Look I’m building a ’65 C10 LWB Fleet for my son on a shoestring budget, and I feel your pain, but you gain NOTHING from trying to reuse your 305.

For the SAME $$$ amount you spend on the 305 you could build a 350 and get more power for less money.

Only difference is finding the core engine.

If you want to rebuild an engine and not buy one (personally I like the satisfaction of turning the key for the first time and knowing I built it. I’m normally smiling for ear-to-ear as I start to smell burning paint, oil, and likely leaking coolant from a loose hose clamp or something else. Ain’t wrenching great?) then go for it.

Look for a roller cammed, 1 piece rear main seal 350. Keep in mind most TBI truck 350’s didn’t have a roller cam, but the block is machine to accept it.

Even better look for a Vortec 350. They are literally a dime a dozen with LSx swaps being so popular.

Check craiglist, junkyard, look for 95 and up trucks and work vans.

Check out Northern Auto Parts.

A stock type rebuild with new pistons, rings, bearings and gaskets is straight forward and won’t break the budget.

Install a decent cam. Dual plane intake and carb. With headers you’ll have a strong running engine with plenty of low end torque (What you need to get that truck moving without working the engine so hard) with a flat torque curve and good power up top. Tuned with a good ignition system, and a overdrive (700R4) tranny, you’ll get good enough gas mileage to make you want to drive it more.

Just my 2 cents. I’ve built a few 305’s. Heck I stroked a 305 once (334 I think the kit was) and it was a roller cam block as well. With L98 alum heads (home port and polish) cam and headers and TPI it was respectable. But a 350 would have done just as well for less effort and $$$ outlay.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #31
gtcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctandc View Post
Great build. Looks like you’re doing a great job.

With that in mind, and the fact that you are already in this deep, you need to seriously consider ditching the 305.

Look I’m building a ’65 C10 LWB Fleet for my son on a shoestring budget, and I feel your pain, but you gain NOTHING from trying to reuse your 305.

For the SAME $$$ amount you spend on the 305 you could build a 350 and get more power for less money.

Only difference is finding the core engine.

If you want to rebuild an engine and not buy one (personally I like the satisfaction of turning the key for the first time and knowing I built it. I’m normally smiling for ear-to-ear as I start to smell burning paint, oil, and likely leaking coolant from a loose hose clamp or something else. Ain’t wrenching great?) then go for it.

Look for a roller cammed, 1 piece rear main seal 350. Keep in mind most TBI truck 350’s didn’t have a roller cam, but the block is machine to accept it.

Even better look for a Vortec 350. They are literally a dime a dozen with LSx swaps being so popular.

Check craiglist, junkyard, look for 95 and up trucks and work vans.

Check out Northern Auto Parts.

A stock type rebuild with new pistons, rings, bearings and gaskets is straight forward and won’t break the budget.

Install a decent cam. Dual plane intake and carb. With headers you’ll have a strong running engine with plenty of low end torque (What you need to get that truck moving without working the engine so hard) with a flat torque curve and good power up top. Tuned with a good ignition system, and a overdrive (700R4) tranny, you’ll get good enough gas mileage to make you want to drive it more.

Just my 2 cents. I’ve built a few 305’s. Heck I stroked a 305 once (334 I think the kit was) and it was a roller cam block as well. With L98 alum heads (home port and polish) cam and headers and TPI it was respectable. But a 350 would have done just as well for less effort and $$$ outlay.
I'll keep this in mind. I am wary of putting a 305 back in just because of the limited HP I can get out of it. Though I'm really looking at keeping it to put it in a rat rod coupe later on down the road or something. I'm don't want to put a 350 in just because everyone has one and they've been done every which way possible and I'm stubborn and want to do something different.

My aunt has that 454 BBC in her farm truck that I'm really hoping to buy off her when the truck is of no more use. I'm pretty sure it's on its deathbead now the way they abuse it loading firewood into it, though the motor is still strong.

Good luck with your son's build! I would have killed to have a classic truck instead of the Toyota Carola I had when in high school. Well, until I had to fill it up at least.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #32
gtcox

Today my father handed me a '60-'66 C10 assembly & service manual. It's like he remembers all those things I took apart as a kid and was never able to put back together.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #33
ctandc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcox View Post
I'll keep this in mind. I am wary of putting a 305 back in just because of the limited HP I can get out of it. Though I'm really looking at keeping it to put it in a rat rod coupe later on down the road or something. I'm don't want to put a 350 in just because everyone has one and they've been done every which way possible and I'm stubborn and want to do something different.
Well just keep in mind being ‘different’ can be pricey. You can also build a 383 stroker for a decent price now. The kit prices have come way down. What about a 400 small block? You can still find them if you look around. They make a GREAT torque monster for pulling a truck around.

Quote:
My aunt has that 454 BBC in her farm truck that I'm really hoping to buy off her when the truck is of no more use. I'm pretty sure it's on its deathbead now the way they abuse it loading firewood into it, though the motor is still strong.
Big blocks are great. But if you think a 350 can be thirsty, just wait until you start driving a BBC.

Quote:
Good luck with your son's build! I would have killed to have a classic truck instead of the Toyota Carola I had when in high school. Well, until I had to fill it up at least.
It won’t be too bad. We’re focusing on suspension, chassis, updates and plan on running the 230 six cylinder and a Turbo 350 and changing the stock rear for a 3.08 rear. I have a feeling with a good tune this think will get better mileage than my ’01 Dakota with a 3.9 V-6 and 5 speed, I’m lucky to get 17mpg with that thing.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #34
gtcox

Got the cross member fab/repair work done today with the help of a friend and his new welder/torch/cutter setup. I'll get pictures of those later. They aren't perfect, but with some POR-15 covering them and buried back on the frame, no one will be the wiser. This friend also offered to let me come over and use his skills and setup anytime and even hull the frame there with his trailer. And I'm sure I will considering he has the largest selection of tools out of anyone I know.

After that was done I went to Rural King and this little guy followed me home...

...I really need to stop going to Rural King. I always end up with something heavy and expensive in my garage. This time it was a 60 gallon 3 hp Industrial Air single stage. Flows around 11-12 cfm @ 90 psi. I really wish I could have gotten an 80 gallon two stage Ingersoll Rand, but I already blew the entirety of my last paycheck on this one as it is. I plan on doing some LIGHT painting and sandblasting with it as well as running air tools and airing out my armpits on hot days (who needs a/c anyway). Can't wait to see what the impact wrench does to the nuts on the suspension that are annoying me. Didn't set the compressor up yet, it's just keeping the corner company for tonight. Didn't want to shut the electricity to the house off this evening to do the wiring and I need to get a few different fittings and pipes before it's entirely situated anyway. Too bad tomorrow's Easter and I have to be at the grandparents the majority of the day Truck > Family Holiday, right?

Oh, neat story. Told the guy at Rural King that I was getting the compressor for this restore and he started talking about his '67 C10. Thought that was kind of neat.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #35
ctandc

Nice compressor.

Now the news you don't want to hear. Unfortunately the best impacts aren't cheap (think Pawn Shops). A crappy impact on a good compressor is still a crappy impact.

I just used an electric impacts (Bosch I think) buddy picked it up at the pawn shop for $60. Looked up the model #, $350+, and it kicks butt.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #36
gtcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctandc View Post
Nice compressor.

Now the news you don't want to hear. Unfortunately the best impacts aren't cheap (think Pawn Shops). A crappy impact on a good compressor is still a crappy impact.

I just used an electric impacts (Bosch I think) buddy picked it up at the pawn shop for $60. Looked up the model #, $350+, and it kicks butt.
Yeah. I was afraid of that. My theory right now is to buy cheap as I need the essentials and slowly buy the nice stuff as I go along. I'm sure this will come back to bite me in the ass.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #37
gtcox

Some quick things...

First of all, I'm jealous of this:

My aunt has a v12 Jag sitting in her garage. She's had it for several months now but this is the first look I've gotten. Why won't a v12 fit in my truck?!

Also, helped my uncle move some newly purchased old shop equipment today into his new GIANT shop/garage. The first things was a 300lb planer that Fred Flintstone built. So I talked to him about using it when I start working on redoing the bed. Then he mentioned that an Amish guy nearby milled all the wood for his shop for $800. So now I know where my bed wood is going to come from. I'm thinking oak or hickory. But that will be a few months away.

Also, this isn't entirely truck related, but my grandfather is wanting to get rid of his father's Shopsmith because he hasn't done anything with it. Guess I'll be making more room in the garage! I have to borrow my aunt's farm Chevy with the 454 in it to move the thing so she jokingly said don't worry if I total the truck while it's down here. Now if only I could get my uncle to part with it...Oh the dreams of having a cheap big block to start working on.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #38
MikeS.

Quote:
Let's start with the reasons to hate the previous owners.

Ok, so there's really only one big one. They gouged holes on the upper rear interior of the cab for 6x9 speakers. The speakers were hooked to a newer stereo head. No audio worked. The radio has since been moved to my father's F**d to replace his busted cd player.

Look in the very top corner and you can see one of the holes. The bench seat is something I got from a late 80's early 90's 1500 out of a junkyard. There were mid 90's bucket seats in when I bought the truck.

In that picture you can also see my "custom" gas tank sitting in on the passenger side floorboard. The original tank was all rusted to hell, so when I purchased the truck, the owner had a 2 gal can with a fuel line running into it. I upgraded to a larger can for the ride home. It was a designated non-smoking drive for obvious reasons. I've since bought a replacement in-cab tank.
Hey that custom fuel delivery tank is better than what came with my 63 Burb. Mine is a 2 gallon cooking oil plastic container. There is a pic in my build thread.

In previous trucks I've used a jig saw to cut round holes in that area of the cab and in another truck to cut them into the lower door panel.

Thanks for posting.
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #39
MikeS.

My custom fuel system...
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #40
FetchMeAPepsi

Subscribed! Man, you're a great storyteller! You need to hire a little _____ to follow you around with a cell phone camera though to better document your progress. (it's an old saying "I need to hire me a little..." to scratch my nose for me etc.)

Quote:
Thanks, Jason!

And yes, I'm going to have to work on resizing a lot of my pictures. Unless some of you enjoy reading this thread from across the room.
Post them at windypix.com and they resize them automagically.
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; 08-13-2012 at 01:01 PM.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #41
gtcox

So it's been a while...

I was having some cash flow problems and work on the truck got VERY slow and by the time I had money to spend, fall came around and I had no time--working in agriculture and all. I did, however manage to get a coat of POR-15 on the frame before it got too cold to do anything else.

I will soon have all the $$$ I need to finish this project (ahead of schedule). Sadly, this is due to the fact that my father recently passed away. So, here's to you, Dad, may the horsepower forever thunder in your memory and may the neighbors hate me for it.

That being said, I have a few questions if anyone would like to answer...

Firstly, how big of a pain would it be to put manual transmission in this truck considering it came with a powerglide? It isn't the easiest thing to find information on, though what I did discover mostly points to the positioning of the stick to be difficult because it's too far back for bench seats.

Also, a good source to find a high hump transmission cover? I don't mind scrounging around and calling up junk yards, but there don't seem to be too many around (south central Indiana) with parts to fit this truck. I'm not opposed to slapping a doner cab on given that I don't have to drive to kingdom come and pay out the ass for it.

And what's the deal with getting a clutch pedal in? That's probably a newbie question...but hey, I just can't find anything on it.

A family friend is taking me to a friend's garage sometime next week so he can introduce me to the owner who is supposedly a chevy genius when it comes to putting power in a vehicle for a good price. So we'll see how that goes.

Now everything just needs to thaw out a little so the car can get out of the garage and the truck can move back in and work can begin!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #42
Blue666

GT,

My condolences on the loss of your father. By giving you the chevy books, I think he was behind you 100% on the build.

I ran some Craigslist searches based on Nashville, IN. You have some great options around you and the prices seem reasonable.

From Bloominton CL:

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/pts/3598077176.html
http://bloomington.craigslist.org/pts/3566060023.html
http://louisville.craigslist.org/pts/3587510450.html
http://bloomington.craigslist.org/pts/3593847206.html (this is awesome)
http://bloomington.craigslist.org/pts/3585389584.html

Good Luck & keep that great sense of humor about working on these great old trucks.
Blue666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #43
McMurphy

Quote:
That being said, I have a few questions if anyone would like to answer...

Firstly, how big of a pain would it be to put manual transmission in this truck considering it came with a powerglide? It isn't the easiest thing to find information on, though what I did discover mostly points to the positioning of the stick to be difficult because it's too far back for bench seats.

Also, a good source to find a high hump transmission cover? I don't mind scrounging around and calling up junk yards, but there don't seem to be too many around (south central Indiana) with parts to fit this truck. I'm not opposed to slapping a doner cab on given that I don't have to drive to kingdom come and pay out the ass for it.

And what's the deal with getting a clutch pedal in? That's probably a newbie question...but hey, I just can't find anything on it.
GT I am sorry for your loss, personally it has been 24 years this month since my father passed.
More than anything I regret all the conversations that I didnt have with him. He served in the Navy during WWII, and it is sad to think of all the stories he had from that time that I never learned.

I am doing an Auto to Manual transmission in my build.
The clutch pedal install was easy to do (more so since I uninstalled it in the junkyard) Some of the challenges have been the tranny hump in the cab, and the shift linkage.
There is a photo of the parts on page 2 of my build, and some of the linkage on page 24.
If you need more photos from under the dash where the clutch assy is mounted to the yoke, or anything let me know. I will do what I can to help you out.
Depending on the transmission you use, you may want to re-think the high hump.
I installed a Muncie 20, 4speed and you will see that it came with some specific needs for shifter adaptation, but the high hump was not one of them.
The other thing of note would be the engine....
Mine was built for an automatic transmission configuration, so there were some (to me) minor additions I had to do to get it to take a manual. First and foremost was the installation of the pilot bearing for the transmission pilot shaft in the end of the crank. I also had to fabricate a mounting/adapter plate for the throwout spindle. (but that part is documented in my build around the page 24 area....)

I hope some of this helps you.
With any luck we will get to see more on this build of yours !!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 02-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #44
gtcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue666 View Post
GT,

My condolences on the loss of your father. By giving you the chevy books, I think he was behind you 100% on the build.

I ran some Craigslist searches based on Nashville, IN. You have some great options around you and the prices seem reasonable.

From Bloominton CL:

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/pts/3598077176.html
http://bloomington.craigslist.org/pts/3566060023.html
http://louisville.craigslist.org/pts/3587510450.html
http://bloomington.craigslist.org/pts/3593847206.html (this is awesome)
http://bloomington.craigslist.org/pts/3585389584.html

Good Luck & keep that great sense of humor about working on these great old trucks.
Those are some good finds. I'll have to look into them. That manifold especially though I don't know if I want to go with that route, it's still a really interesting piece! Thanks for the help!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #45
gtcox

Quote:
GT I am sorry for your loss, personally it has been 24 years this month since my father passed.
More than anything I regret all the conversations that I didnt have with him. He served in the Navy during WWII, and it is sad to think of all the stories he had from that time that I never learned.

I am doing an Auto to Manual transmission in my build.
The clutch pedal install was easy to do (more so since I uninstalled it in the junkyard) Some of the challenges have been the tranny hump in the cab, and the shift linkage.
There is a photo of the parts on page 2 of my build, and some of the linkage on page 24.
If you need more photos from under the dash where the clutch assy is mounted to the yoke, or anything let me know. I will do what I can to help you out.
Depending on the transmission you use, you may want to re-think the high hump.
I installed a Muncie 20, 4speed and you will see that it came with some specific needs for shifter adaptation, but the high hump was not one of them.
The other thing of note would be the engine....
Mine was built for an automatic transmission configuration, so there were some (to me) minor additions I had to do to get it to take a manual. First and foremost was the installation of the pilot bearing for the transmission pilot shaft in the end of the crank. I also had to fabricate a mounting/adapter plate for the throwout spindle. (but that part is documented in my build around the page 24 area....)

I hope some of this helps you.
With any luck we will get to see more on this build of yours !!!
I know what you mean about the stories. I know enough that my dad was a hell-raiser when he was younger but never got many details that I now wish I did.

I'm glad someone out there is attempting this too! I'll make sure to refer to your pages as I (and those who have offered to help) work on this. As far as matching engine and trans I think that's part of what my trip to the garage Monday will be. I'm going to let the mechanic know kind of what I want in terms of horsepower, torque, and overall sound and whatnot and see what he suggests.

As much as I would like to build the engine myself, I'm not THAT mechanically inclined/don't do detail that well so having a pro kind of talk me through it and do most of the building for me will be just as well. I want this thing done right and well because heaven knows I'm going to give this truck hell once it's all together.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #46
McMurphy

Seems you and I are of the same mind.
I am not so good that I can tear an engine or tranny down and rebuild it..... yet.
Maybe some day, but not this day!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 02-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #47
gtcox

Quote:
Seems you and I are of the same mind.
I am not so good that I can tear an engine or tranny down and rebuild it..... yet.
Maybe some day, but not this day!!
Oh I had no trouble taking it apart...it's the whole putting it together so that it doesn't turn into a 8 cyl pipe bomb that's difficult

The best part will be discovering how many new pieces of hardware I have to order to put the body back together. May have gotten a little grinder-happy taking some of the rusted stuff off .
Old 02-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #48
Bomp

Quote:
Oh I had no trouble taking it apart...it's the whole putting it together so that it doesn't turn into a 8 cyl pipe bomb that's difficult

The best part will be discovering how many new pieces of hardware I have to order to put the body back together. May have gotten a little grinder-happy taking some of the rusted stuff off .
Now you got me laughing. "grinder-happy" tell me about it. Hack two cabs in half (5" stretch) and stick'em back together. grinder-happy
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #49
gtcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Now you got me laughing. "grinder-happy" tell me about it. Hack two cabs in half (5" stretch) and stick'em back together. grinder-happy
Well that just seems like a lot of work with a grinder, did you misplace your light saber?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #50
gtcox

Yet another question...

So it's safe to say when I took apart the suspension on my truck, most of the hardware was rusted, or enough of a pain in the ass that I don't plan on reusing it. I've been browsing through CPP, Classic Industries, and LMC for hardware kits. I see Classic has one for body panels and whatnot (which I'll also need) but does anyone know of an all inclusive hardware kit for rear suspension? Or a checklist at least. I'm really not too keen on having to order a bazillion nuts, bolts, and washers just to find I missed one when I get the order.

To give you all a better idea of what I'm talking about, I'm entirely replacing the trailing arms, tracking arm and pretty much everything that was attached to them.

Rust can burn in hell, or rust more. Whatever.