The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #26
AusTx68

Re: Need new exhaust, where to hear mufflers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
My 71 has something A LOT louder, that I believe are super 44's. It hurts my head driving around town. I'm also worried about getting a ticket for it. I think I'll go with the delta 50's with 2.5" to the rear bumper, or maybe dump just after the axle. Not sure yet, but it ends right under the seat of your pants right now, so I get all kinds of resonance in the cab. I swear it's louder inside than it is outside.
There's a huge difference in sound and resonance with turn downs vs running out to the rear bumper. My Super 40s with turn downs caused unbearable resonance in the cab. I later ran them out the back and it was like a different truck. Now I have delta 50s with turn downs. Not nearly as bad as the 40s. If I ran these out the back it would be real nice but I don't have the room to do so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #27
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Just ran thru your pics. You have built some wonderful stuff. What a talent!
We should ALL be stuck "in the house" half of the year. I'm in awe!
Thank you! I guess the long cold winters are good for something, I do spend a lot more time in my shop in the winter. I love making stuff and learning new methods of doing so. Lately I've been trying to get better at casting aluminum. It's amazing what you can do with just a simple home built foundry.
Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #28
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett View Post
Agreed. Your work is very inspiring. I absolutely love the tear drop you built. As for the super 44s... they're pretty fantastic. I couldn't get a video last night because I was going to replace the rear main which turned into a few other problems but hopefully I can get it finished today and put up a video. I'll be done working on it by 12 either way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! I look forward to hearing what they sound like. Are the 44s louder than the 40s or is it the other way around?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #29
shawno72
C/10 junkie

Here is mine with Magnaflows.

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #30
AustinScott

SpinTech Sportsman street 3000 mufflers are a great choice for an all around daily & fun Sunday hammer sessions.
Here is a thread when I installed mine, POST#8 has video & sound, kinda old but captured the sound pretty good.
SpinTech install thread

Scott

My 68-SWB Photo Build Thread

All my Google Albums
AustinScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #31
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Best advice is to go to shows and really listen, to the exhaust note and what's been done to the car. A "stock 350" could have 8:1 compression to 10:1 compression and a wide variety of cams, that will make a difference. Headers or manifolds, tubing diameter, x-H-pipes, mufflers obviously, then how the exhaust is terminated. Some exhaust systems make undesireable noises under load at certain rpms (I hate the rattly pop straight and glass packs make) some people can't stand a drone (my 40s n dumps don't drone). It can take quite a bit of effort and/or money to get a specific sound.
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #32
AirSpeed

I've been told that summit sells a flowmaster clone that's made by flowmaster. Anyone tried one of these? Are they built the same as flowmasters? I don't mind saving a few bucks if the only difference is a missing flowmaster logo!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #33
AirSpeed

From what I've been able to find these are supposed to be the same as Flowmaster's 40, anyone have any experience with these? They're $30 each, about half the price. Thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #34
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
From what I've been able to find these are supposed to be the same as Flowmaster's 40, anyone have any experience with these? They're $30 each, about half the price. Thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Forgot the link!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-638252/
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #35
AirSpeed

I'm getting ready to order, I found the flowmaster 40's at Amazon for between $49 and $69 depending on the offset, I get free shipping so I'm pretty sure I will buy from Amazon. I'm looking at using 2.5" pipe all the way back. Should I use the center in & out, offset in & out, center in & offset out, offset in & center out? Too many options! What do you guys use? I'm running the tips straight out the back if that makes a difference. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #36
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Should I use the center in & out, offset in & out, center in & offset out, offset in & center out? Too many options! What do you guys use?
I'm running the tips straight out the back if that makes a difference.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't remember what I bought, for sure. I think "center in and offset out". I don't think you can go wrong. I remember you said you
didn't have a muffler shop near by....Maybe I'm wrong on that, too. But I seem to remember a guy in Johnson Park...

....Whatever. Point is, you (or the muffler guy) can make 'em hook up and come out wherever you want. Depending on where you want 'em to come out....
and where you're going to have the mufflers "hang".

I'm absolutely no expert on this, but if you center the input on the frame and need a "tweek" from the header, no biggie.
Then, depending on WHERE you want 'em to come out in the back, the offset might help.

As shown here on my old '72, I like the left pipe centered on the "H" in CHEVROLET (not clear from the pic), then measure from the center of the plate,
and hang the right side the same distance from the line. I think, with that spacing, the offset outlet helps. But it's not crucial.
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #37
AirSpeed

Quote:
I don't remember what I bought, for sure. I think "center in and offset out". I don't think you can go wrong. I remember you said you
didn't have a muffler shop near by....Maybe I'm wrong on that, too. But I seem to remember a guy in Johnson Park...

....Whatever. Point is, you (or the muffler guy) can make 'em hook up and come out wherever you want. Depending on where you want 'em to come out....
and where you're going to have the mufflers "hang".

I'm absolutely no expert on this, but if you center the input on the frame and need a "tweek" from the header, no biggie.
Then, depending on WHERE you want 'em to come out in the back, the offset might help.

As shown here on my old '72, I like the left pipe centered on the "H" in CHEVROLET (not clear from the pic), then measure from the center of the plate,
and hang the right side the same distance from the line. I think, with that spacing, the offset outlet helps. But it's not crucial.

Yours exit just about where mine do now, mine are right below the inner bumper bolts. As for the muffler guy in JP, I've stopped by to see him three times in the last month and it looks like he's out of business. I know his house burned down some years ago, I sold him an entire house package back then and haven't seen him since.
I think you're on the right track with the center in-offset out, I have plenty of room under there with a four inch lift, just want to make sure the transfer case doesn't cause any problems.
Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #38
AirSpeed

I just called every muffler shop within 100 miles of me and all of them quoted between $650 and $700 to do my exhaust, a little high for me right now! I would rather do it myself but can't find a kit that fits. I think my manifolds aren't stock, the passenger side dumps at an angle out the rear and the drivers side dumps straight down between the last two cylinders. I'm ready to order but can't seem to find out if any will fit my manifolds. I don't mind some cutting and welding, I have the tools. Can anyone tell me if my manifolds are correct? My exhaust is litterally rusted and it's days are very limited so I need to get it fixed. I have the mufflers picked out so I'm just waiting to find a pipe kit I can use!
Thanks for any suggestions!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #39
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
I just called every muffler shop within 100 miles of me and all of them quoted between $650 and $700 to do my exhaust
Posted via Mobile Device
That's a rip. Anything over $250 is a bad deal if you have the mufflers. Unless you are going for something I don't understand. 2.5" pipe?
Flowmasters on hand?...Straight out the back?

You gotta make more calls. If you can drive to Redding or Anderson, there has to be an independent muffler shop
that wants to do (what they already do for a living) for a proper price.

I paid $300 this time because I wanted to "shop locally". The guy moaned when he was done so I gave him $350. F*^$ing Mountain
Morons in my area.

Next time, it's back to Gary's in Fresno. $200 every time. 2.5" pipe to the rear....Including chrome tips.
I make an appointment and they're done while I wait.
But always a rat.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #40
AirSpeed

Quote:
That's a rip. Anything over $250 is a bad deal if you have the mufflers. Unless you are going for something I don't understand. 2.5" pipe?
Flowmasters on hand?...Straight out the back?

You gotta make more calls. If you can drive to Redding or Anderson, there has to be an independent muffler shop
that wants to do (what they already do for a living) for a proper price.

I paid $300 this time because I wanted to "shop locally". The guy moaned when he was done so I gave him $350. F*^$ing Mountain
Morons in my area.

Next time, it's back to Gary's in Fresno. $200 every time. 2.5" pipe to the rear....Including chrome tips.
I make an appointment and they're done while I wait.
I called six shops in Redding, with the mufflers I'm going to supply the cheapest price I got was $500! 2.25 pipe straight out the back with my stainless tips. To get the flowmasters from them would be an additional $200! Nothing special about it, the pipes on there now are very simple, hardly any bends required. To drive to Redding will cost me another $60 in gas so it adds up pretty fast!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #41
shawno72
C/10 junkie

Quote:
I called six shops in Redding, with the mufflers I'm going to supply the cheapest price I got was $500! 2.25 pipe straight out the back with my stainless tips. To get the flowmasters from them would be an additional $200! Nothing special about it, the pipes on there now are very simple, hardly any bends required. To drive to Redding will cost me another $60 in gas so it adds up pretty fast!
Posted via Mobile Device
How close are you to Lodi? Sounds like you may not be to close but I can install your mufflers and tail pipes for no more than $300. Let me know I manage the Midas here so your covered.

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #42
OC 72

Here is mine...
40's

Mine cost about $300. All the pipes were there...had to re-do from the muffler back.
OC 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #43
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawno72 View Post
How close are you to Lodi? Sounds like you may not be to close but I can install your mufflers and tail pipes for no more than $300. Let me know I manage the Midas here so your covered.
Lodi is a bit far to make it worth it but thank you for the offer!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #44
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 72 View Post
Here is mine...
40's

Mine cost about $300. All the pipes were there...had to re-do from the muffler back.

Sounds nice! Beautiful truck! Love those rims!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #45
AirSpeed

I am getting to the point that I'm going to build a bender and do it all myself! I always wanted a bender anyway and I have enough scrap to build one so it wouldnt cost anything but the wire to weld it together. I can cast any mandrels I would need since I have a foundry. I just hate to pay so much to have someone make a couple of bends, I just can't see such a simple exhaust costing $500+ to make!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #46
magwakeenercew2jh

I've seen a lot of pics of your work. I know I'll envy your exhaust set-up.

I'd head to Lodi right now. But, you have the talent...and, it's gonna start snowing at your place pretty soon!
But always a rat.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #47
AusTx68

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 72 View Post
Here is mine...
40's

Yep, that's how mine used to sound. Are those Coys on your truck? Overall a sweet looking ride.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #48
AirSpeed

Smile Re: Need new exhaust, where to hear mufflers?

I'd head to Lodi right now. But, you have the talent...and, it's gonna start snowing at your place pretty soon! [/QUOTE]

I had myself brainwashed into thinking its spring right now, thanks for bringing me back into reality and ruining my day! I actually have till November before I see any significant crap falling out of the sky! Snow to me is Gods kitty litter and when it falls I feel like a cat turd!
Lodi would cost me about $250 in fuel, he made me a nice offer though!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #49
AirSpeed

This morning I started up my truck and drove about a mile when I heard one of my glass packs making an extra special sound, just another chunk of it blew out the side! Sounds like a D derby car now!
I went ahead and ordered a pair of flowmaster 40s, they are 2.25" offset in and center out, the muffler shops I spoke to said this offset works best in my truck. I still haven't found a pipe kit that will fit, I just learned I have exhaust manifolds out of a 74, I did find a bunch that would fit but they won't ship to California! The ones that can be shipped are above my price range right now, I'm usually not this cheap but I just bought new flooring, paint and cabinets for a rental I own and it sucked up a lot of my cash.
I'm looking for a kit around $200, if any of you know of any let me know!
Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #50
AirSpeed

Finally found an exhaust pipe kit to fit, everywhere I tried to order refused to ship to California. I called Summit today and found a set for $157 delivered, with my flowmasters from Amazon I got the entire exhaust $275 delivered. A far cry from the $700 the muffler shops wanted! I'll be installing it Wednesday and find out if it fits!
Posted via Mobile Device