The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #26
wil6775

Re: DD without power steering

I'm actually thinking about going to manual steering on my 1967 SWB c 10, because the power steering is soooo easy, that it really doesn't feel safe over 55 MPH or so...great for parking, but I want to drive this thing! Haven't found a solution yet...tried shimming the pump, which helped only a little, and a different fitting for the hose that was supposed to reduce the flow, but it has the same size hole as what was in it...Talked to a guy at a local outfit that rebuilds and sells new steering boxes, and he recommended putting a manual steering box on it, so I'm looking for info. Probably end up trying it, unless I can figure something else out. I'd rather be able to drive it than park it, I guess...
wil6775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #27
88Ironduke

I would love to put power steering on my old 250 but finding power steering parts that are more rare than leprechauns and more expensive than the associated pot of gold with said leprechaun is just crazy.... When the old six cylinder dies I'll be going to route of the LS swap which ironically comes with a power steering pump attached.

Paul

My Build Thread: Project 72' Green
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587932
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #28
motorcritter

Check your alignment- not enough caster can make for a skittish front end. Perhaps a larger pulley on the pump, lower pressure, less 'assistance'.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #29
Lou Boffa

Ha. Very timely. My variable ratio box and pump are on the way to me from AGR. Just gotta get my add a pulley, hoses and pump bracket sorted out. Next big project for me. While at it, i'll remove the bumper, radiator and grill. Straigten & polish the grill. Clean & paint the front of the motor. Should be fun. Expect lots of questions!
Old 04-02-2015, 05:58 PM   #30
motorcritter

Variable ratio-type steering is the real solution. OEMs have had them for quite a while, no reason to ignore that when building a truck that you want to enjoy.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #31
67 cst swb

Funny Story...
First... let me say, that... I only have one arm. Lost it when I was a kid on a farm. Anyway, trust me, it pertains to the story.
Ok, I had a 67 Shortbox 2wd. It was lowered a bit, 1 coil cut out of the front and heated up springs in the back (Yes, this was 1992). It was a 283/Powerglide with no power steering and no power anything.
Anyway. So I was turning right into a restaurant off of the main street and another car was pulling out and was hogging up the center of the whole entry/exit approach. So, I told my passenger/roommate... "watch this!".
So, I came in the entrance a little faster than normal (you shoulda seen the look in his eye's) and to be safe I kind of cut the corner tight...
Then boom... my front right tire hooks the curb, spins the steering wheel back around and dislocates my thumb, Yes... my only thumb. That sucked for quite awhile. So yea, no power steering sucks for me sometimes.
But, I bet that guy never took up the whole entry/exit approach again.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 4L80E Red
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #32
motorcritter

Simpleton drivers need as many opportunities to change their underwear as possible! Thanks, 67 cst swb for doing your part to help the cause!
Old 04-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #33
hamjet

Both mine don't have PS or power brakes, and manual tranny. I don't mind not having them, I'm still kind of young and healthy, but I don't care for the 43 turns of the steering wheel to make a sharp turn.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #34
motorcritter

Later model (square body) steering boxes have a quicker ratio than the earlier ones. A handy item, indeed!
Old 04-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #35
snj8198

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcritter View Post
Later model (square body) steering boxes have a quicker ratio than the earlier ones. A handy item, indeed!
??? i forgot about that! Where's my six pack, i know what I'm doing tonight.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:27 PM   #36
fourspeedwagon

Normally not a problem for me but once in a while a tight spot or parralel parking is a pain. Long Suburban, manual steering, manual transmission... When I got it it hada tiny foam steering wheel - who's stupid idea was that? I changed it quick.
fourspeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote