The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #26
bigblock73
yeller

Re: Preparation for Desert Trip VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Thanks Jeff! We're really looking forward to the baby. Nothing like waiting until the last minute to start a family, I am 41 and the wife is 39 and we have been together for 20 years. This will be our first baby r
Better late than never, kids are truly a blast!
Posted via Mobile Device
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #27
bojak

Thanks for info on your camper. I love the style of your truck and have always leaned more towards the expedition look myself. To me it's function over flash. Is there a previouse thread or a possible future one that is a walkthrough of your rig? I've searched and found aspects here and there about it but i would guess alot of us would love to see the whole thing inside and out with some commentary. I am looking forward to your updates on this trip as well but your truck is really cool. I hope my truck is as cool one day.
bojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #28
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojak View Post
Thanks for info on your camper. I love the style of your truck and have always leaned more towards the expedition look myself. To me it's function over flash. Is there a previouse thread or a possible future one that is a walkthrough of your rig? I've searched and found aspects here and there about it but i would guess alot of us would love to see the whole thing inside and out with some commentary. I am looking forward to your updates on this trip as well but your truck is really cool. I hope my truck is as cool one day.

Thanks! I don’t have “build thread” per se’ as this truck has been my project long before build threads or even this website existed. Going on 17 years with this truck

Here is one thread specific to the camper

There are a few project threads though:

NV4500 Swap

56” Rear Spring swap

Converted the 8.1L from a RamJet/Marine MEFI4 ECM to a P59 automotive type ECM

Dana 60 swap

And a few trip threads:

Desert Trip I

Desert Trip II

Desert Trip III

Desert Trip IV

Overland Expo & Desert Trip V

I’ll definitely have a thread on the Death Valley trip once we get back. Going for a quick jaunt to the mountains this weekend for a shakedown run before we leave for CA. Figured I’d better run it around in 4wd a bit since the front axle is new and the tcase has just been gone through.

I received a new set of Xenon fender flares today so I’ll be getting those installed shortly as well. The tires rub the current WARN flares badly!
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #29
Oilbrnr

Hmm. I think I know where you didn't get those new shoes!

We'll still fix them for free if possible though!

Wish I were going with you guys. Sounds like a fun trip.

Next year, Dad.

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'77 Cheyenne K5 350/465/205
'80 Custom Deluxe K20 350/465/205
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Have a Hickey Sidewinder Winch and need the owners/install manual? Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you a .pdf
Oilbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #30
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbrnr View Post
Hmm. I think I know where you didn't get those new shoes!

We'll still fix them for free if possible though!

Wish I were going with you guys. Sounds like a fun trip.

Next year, Dad.
Hehe…..yeah, that is true. Had a hard time finding 315/75R16’s in load range E. These Sam’s Club specials were the best bang for the buck in load range E. Too bad you can’t make this trip, maybe next time! At least you will be home in case we have a breakdown near your town!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #31
DirtyLarry

We did our little shakedown run this morning to foothills up the road from home. Everything is good to go outside of still needing to install the new Xenon flares, but I sure miss the Detroit TruTrac that was in the old front D44. The D60 was a big upgrade in brute strength but a major downgrade in the traction department. Need to do something about that someday.

It was a beautiful day in the foothills outside of Canon City today

Old 02-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #32
Zoomad75
K5Camper

That's a neat area back there. Looks like there was less snow than when we were up there on new years day. It might get a bunch tomorrow. I might be turning a golf cart into a snow plow with a couple of shovels and some duct tape for our soccer tournament. We might have to clear the lines on the fields. It's looking ugly for a forecast.

So outside of less traction on the front end, all the noises quiet now? Good shakedown?
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #33
Prerunner1982

Larry as always I love the truck and can't wait for this years adventure.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #34
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
That's a neat area back there. Looks like there was less snow than when we were up there on new years day. It might get a bunch tomorrow. I might be turning a golf cart into a snow plow with a couple of shovels and some duct tape for our soccer tournament. We might have to clear the lines on the fields. It's looking ugly for a forecast.

So outside of less traction on the front end, all the noises quiet now? Good shakedown?
Yeah, pretty cool test track/trail for only being 45 minutes from home. We hit up the shooting range with Bill’s new 308 while we were up there. My ears are still ringing...huh? Actually, Bill said there was a bit more snow than when you all went on New Year’s Day. The little hairy spot on the northern side had some pretty decent snow on it. That is where the missing front TruTrac really became noticeable. No more front major pulling, all rear Detroit Locker doglegging push action. I hear that is the spot Tracy had problems with her Rubicon on New Year’s.

Have fun at the soccer deal. You might want to consider becoming a coffee drinker!

Oh, some slight changes to our Death Valley trip. Neighbor Pete is now going with us and bringing his camper with him but his Silverado is staying home….we’re going to put Pete’s camper on Bill’s Dodge and Pete is riding shotgun with Bill. Got a lot of crap to do in 3 weeks to make that happen!

Regarding the 205 noise. NOPE! The highway speed/downhill coast noise is still there! I guesss that noise is just going to have to become a “normal characteristic” of the machine.

We stopped to eat lunch at the same spot you all did on New Year’s. Bill said this little dusting of snow wasn’t here on New Year’s Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner1982 View Post
Larry as always I love the truck and can't wait for this years adventure.
Thanks Jon! We’ll have pics and stories from Death Valley!

Last edited by DirtyLarry; 02-24-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #35
dieseldawg142

dont ya just love the 205 whine. if you come across any manual super duty's at the wrecking yard, they have a nice thick form fitting foam gasket that goes from the shifter down over the floor hole. i sandwiched one between 2 boots on my t-case. you could also throw some sound deadner or M.L.V. or something on the hump & floor pan
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #36
DirtyLarry

The thing of it is it is not even a whine. The noise is only there at highway speeds as you coast down a steep hill. Not a full coast, but a coast with a little bit of throttle tip in. There is a slight vibration at that time and the noise almost sounds like a bearing howling. Almost sounds like the noise you hear when a release bearing is howling. The transmission is new (NOS, not reman) and every bearing in the tcase is new. I remember my old ’72 K5 with a 205 made a similar noise and vibration but none of the other 205’s I’ve had made this noise. At least I know there isn’t something inside that is about to give up the ghost. My buddy and I have been through this 205 3 times! It is probably just a gear mesh issue on a high mileage 40 year old 205. This particular 205 is out of a ’72.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #37
Oilbrnr

That foam idea that dieseldawg mention above sounds interesting, as every 205 I've been around always had linkage rattle! Course that doesn't apply to your twin stick now.

Hey, remind Bill that he needs to build me a rear bumper for the K5 and drop it off on your trip...

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'77 Cheyenne K5 350/465/205
'80 Custom Deluxe K20 350/465/205
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Have a Hickey Sidewinder Winch and need the owners/install manual? Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you a .pdf
Oilbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #38
Zoomad75
K5Camper

If Bill said it was the spot Tracy had an issue on, that was pretty hairy on new years. I had to give some throttle through that section and pretty much walked through it. So if you had some bit of a challenge there had to be more snow.

Too bad on the noise in the 205 though. You know I don't hear any in mine, but then again there is too much other stuff making noise in mine I'd never know!!

Pete on the desert trip? Oh BOY! He's going to be a riot on the ride. Better ration out his beers. He's too big for you to carry him around if he can't walk! Pete's camper in the Dodge is a great idea. Camp setup/breakdown is going to be a snap on this one.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #39
DirtyLarry

Well, we are 1 week away from departing for Death Valley and I have been real busy doing maintenance and getting things dialed in. One thing I recently had to change were the fender flares as the new tires and wheels are just wide enough wreak havoc on the old front WARN flares when turning and hitting a bump so I upgraded to Xenon flares. I originally wanted Xenon flares 10 years ago when I installed the WARN’s but the Xenon’s were on intergalactic back order at that time.

I love these Xenon flares but they are extremely finicky to install as they must be installed on a nice sunny day to allow some latent heat absorbed into the flares and fenders. On the other hand, you don’t want them to soak up too much sun or they are like trying to mount a wet noodle. It took 3 tries to get the right front flare mounted and twice for the right rear. I even called and spoke with a really helpful guy at Xenon to seek advice. At the end of the day, I ended up buying a fresh roll of ½ 3M double sided tape from the local auto body supply store which between the fresh tape and a warm sunny day to install rubbery flares cured the install issues. All hassles aside, the Xenon’s are worth it. The part number for the flares is (73-80 C/K) 8390 and cost $361 through 4WP. The old rear WARN flares are going on the Suburban and I’ll have to order a set of new front ’81-91 flares to match.

Think they look pretty cool. I really like the port hole for the side marker light. Notice how the Xenon flares do not have a splash guard, of sorts, that sticks down past the rocker panel like the WARN’s did in the pictures above.

I ran by the scale today as well. It came in right at 7,800 lbs with two full tanks of fuel. By the time the gear and supplies are loaded we’ll be pushing well over 8,000 lbs again this year. So much for trying to shave weight off this thing…..

With the truck now ready for the road it is time to start loading up the camper. In order to open the top in the garage the truck has to be parked in the middle to striatal the lights.

You can’t even slide a piece of paper between the ceiling and roof rack

I can’t wait until next Saturday to get hell out of town!
Old 03-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #40
Greenlee

I'm jealous of these desert trips you guys take. Looks like a blast!

I was just watching something on tv last night about these women who were sight seeing and their GPS led them to one of the most remote areas of Death Valley where they ran out of gas and had to be rescued.

Got any more pictures of your rear bumper? I'm wanting to build something similar to that for mine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #41
guzzo82chevy

This is an Awsome Truck!! i would love to see video of it in action!!! Good luck on your trip!! should bring her through AZ sometime!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #42
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
I'm jealous of these desert trips you guys take. Looks like a blast!

I was just watching something on tv last night about these women who were sight seeing and their GPS led them to one of the most remote areas of Death Valley where they ran out of gas and had to be rescued.

Got any more pictures of your rear bumper? I'm wanting to build something similar to that for mine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, ya….I saw that last night on 20/20. That lady is dingdong for being so oblivious to see the fact the Garman was taking her to the end of the world. People like that scare me.

Here are a few of the rear bumper. It was originally a front winch bumper that my buddy built for this truck in high school (early 90’s). We flipped it upside down and tweaked it to fit the rear of mine about 8 years ago then reworked it again 2 years go to accept the tire and can holder.

I've recently gotten rid of the wire rope for synthetic rope in hopes of saving a little weight

Getting a work out pulling a Zoomad75 up a trail after he barber poled his driveshaft. The controller cord would not reach the cab so I've added a wireless system.

After my buddy reworked it to add the tire and basket. After the camper was installed there was no place to keep my spare.

We’ve reworked this since this picture to add a gate stop in order to stop breaking the cheap plastic ends on the struts.

Paternal twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzo82chevy View Post
This is an Awsome Truck!! i would love to see video of it in action!!! Good luck on your trip!! should bring her through AZ sometime!!!
Thanks…. Its been to AZ many times. Next Saturday it will ride across AZ on I-40 from NM to CA. I have another trip to AZ (Flagstaff area) coming up in May. Lots of videos here
Old 03-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #43
Greenlee

Thanks for the bumper pics. That is the ultimate camping rig for sure! The new fender flares look good also. Good luck on your trip!
Posted via Mobile Device
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #44
Space Monkey

Man, that thing is so sweet. I need a bumper like that.
Space Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #45
MTCK

Looks good Larry! I'm digging the new flares. Does the rubbing problem come more from offset on your new rims or width of tires? Those about a 12.5 wide?
Posted via Mobile Device

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #46
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCK View Post
Looks good Larry! I'm digging the new flares. Does the rubbing problem come more from offset on your new rims or width of tires? Those about a 12.5 wide?
Posted via Mobile Device
The offset of the new wheels are the same as the all the others, the wheels are just wider. The new wheels come in at 8.5” (skinniest they come) rather than the 8” wide black steelies I was running with the Kumho AT tires before (those now live on the Suburban). The wheels the Superswampers are mounted on are only 7” wide so those have never been a problem. The combination of the 8.5” wheels and Dunlop Fierce Attitude tires were just enough to cause a major interference with the old WARN flares. The old Kumho’s touched too but only under hard articulation.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #47
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Looks like you've done the work to make for an great trip with no mechanical drama. Can't wait for the photos and videos.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #48
beamn7

Lookin' good 'eh! One of these days we got to find someone else to cover for u at work so I can come! LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #49
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
Looks like you've done the work to make for an great trip with no mechanical drama. Can't wait for the photos and videos.
Hopefully there won’t be any drama. Already had 3 cancellations though. Pete dropped out early, the Ford 4x4 van from Phoenix and the 1971 F250 from Kingman cancelled this morning. Looks like I will be the only Chevy in a heard of Dodges (3 Rams…Bill and two from CA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamn7 View Post
Lookin' good 'eh! One of these days we got to find someone else to cover for u at work so I can come! LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
For sure, I keep telling you that! You and Zoo could split the fuel cost and cruise the Polar Bear Burb and follow the K10 around next year. Thanks for covering for me hoser!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #50
guzzo82chevy

Question Re: Preparation for Desert Trip VI

Thanks…. Its been to AZ many times. Next Saturday it will ride across AZ on I-40 from NM to CA. I have another trip to AZ (Flagstaff area) coming up in May. Lots of videos here[/QUOTE]

Thx for the Link! been waisting all my Internet time at work streaming your vids!!! this is a sweet rig what parts of AZ you been through??