The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #26
WhippinSaw

Re: How to install a 60-62 windshield in 30 minutes

Find a glass shop that sells Pilkington Classics and get a quote. You can get them tinted but I'm not sure about the tint just on the top.
WhippinSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #27
ChefCy

Ditto on great write up!! Ditto on where to get quality glass.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #28
notsomuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhc41051 View Post
You guys might want to think about going into business... My professional auto glass installer gave up after two hours.. His only recommendation was that I not install the chrome trim.
This is the same advice I got here in NE Oklahoma. Thanks to you guys, I think I can do this. I appreciate all of the advice, you all are great !!!
notsomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #29
csermonet47

I followed this method without a rope. Only a pick and soapy water. Went in extremely smoothly. Took longer to put the seal on the windshield than to install the windshield. I used a Steele brand seal and put it in dry. I only put some weatherstrip adhesive where the seams are in the pinch weld and it looks like I don't have any leaks. It really helps if you have two people to help you install it. I found the rear window to be more difficult than the windshield.
csermonet47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #30
gulfcoast66
64-66 CHEVY JUNKIE

GREAT INFO!!! Bookmarked!! Will be doing this in the near future, busted mine trying to get it back in
Thanks Cort.
Posted via Mobile Device
2017 GMC Serra 4x4 5.3 Vortec, 4l60-E
Do It In A Chevrolet
gulfcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #31
WhippinSaw

I called 6 glass companies up over the past couple weeks trying to buy a new 60-63 clear window and have struck out. One place said they had it, came over and popped out my old windshield, scratched up the paint on the roof, ("what am I hitting") then pulled a green tinted windshield with a gray shade out of their truck. I was told by one of the glass companies Pilkington Classics hasn't made a clear kneekocker since 2005 and to order a new one from ecklers or classicindustries. I called both of them and someone at ecklers said they drop ship from j&r industries but neither knew if it made in the US. Going to keep looking for a clear glass, however if you like the green tint its only $260 installed if you don't mind the paint scratches..
WhippinSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #32
darkhorse970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
I think we have all come across the horror threads were people have snapped their windshield, ruined gaskets, paid professionals who didn't have much luck, etc., etc.

Well, this weekend I installed the windshield in my 1960 Suburban in less than 30 minutes. And with no more help than that of my Girlfriend, using a PRECISION BRAND gasket.

Here are the steps I followed to prep for the install:

1. Thoroughly clean all old gasket material from the windshield and pinch weld area. (I took the opportunity to take the whole windshield area down to bare metal and then Prep, prime, paint. I also, polished my stainless steel trim while it was out.)

2. Lay out your new PRECISION BRAND windshield gasket and inspect it.

3. Bring both the windshield and gasket into a warm area. (For me, the living room floor became the perfect shop.)

4. Using 3M black weatherstrip adhesive and starting at the top or bottom middle of the windshield, lay a moderate bead of sealant into the groove that will hold the windshield and start pressing onto windshield. (NOTE: There is a seam on the new gasket that I placed at the top middle so it would be unnoticeable when installed.)

I did this about a foot at a time. I would lay a 12" bead, press that on to the window and then tape the gasket down. Then lay another 12" bead, press and tape, and on and on until the entire gasket was installed. This will take PATIENCE until you get one half of the gasket installed. Use a good tape that will not unpeel itself. DO NOT USE DUCT TAPE. 3M blue worked fine for me but there cannot be any grease on the window.

Be cautious around the hard curves of the windshield, it is easy to pull the gasket off. Lots and lots of tape!

IGNORE THE TRIM IN THIS PICTURE. This was a later stage, I did not get a picture of just the gasket taped on:

5. And probably the most important part, double check that the gasket is sitting on the windshield properly and taped well then LET IT SIT OVERNIGHT.

6. If you do not have custom trim, skip to STEP 9.

7. Come home from work, choose a beverage, peel off all of the tape and get ready to install the trim (if you have the custom trim package.)

8. You can install the trim top or bottom first, doesn't really matter. I did not use any adhesive to hold the trim in as the factory did not either. As I installed the trim, I again taped it along the way. At this point, I did not have time to install the windshield the same night I put the trim in so the windshield again sat overnight, taped up. I am not sure that sitting the extra night helped or not, but it could never hurt if you can wait.

*Reference above pic and this one:

9. Peel all of the remaining tape off the windshield. Get the truck/suburban in a position that you can easily get in/out/around it with no problems. I had the hood off of mine during the install which helped my girlfriend as she could stand on the engine while pushing the windshield in for me.

The INSTALL

10. So the standard method for installing these windshields is to wrap a suitable rope/cord into the groove where the pinch weld sits on the gasket. I used a thin poly string which I learned later did nothing for me. I think you'll need a cord at least 1/8" in diameter to be of any use.

11. You NEED a lubricant for the install. No question about it. I used this:

12. Spray the lubricant on the pinch weld area of the truck and on the gasket where it will sit on the pinch weld. (Protect surrounding areas as I noticed that the silicone spray spotted a little bit of my dash paint which, when noticed, was followed up with some strong cursing.)

13. Using your helper, position the windshield onto the truck ensuring that the top of the windshield is under the lip of the roof line. DO NOT try to install the bottom lip on first and then push the windshield under the roof lip, I assume this is where people have been snapping things.

14. Lay the windshield as flat as possible and centered as possible on the pinch weld.

15. This is where I found out I was using the wrong cord. As I pulled it out, nothing happened! It was too small to pull the weatherstrip with it. At this point, I looked for an area of opportunity to use a screw driver and start flipping the lip of the gasket over the pinch weld. I would RECOMMEND a nylon or plastic tool for everyone else as I suffered a few scratches during the install. I believe that the first area that wanted to seat onto the pinch weld was the upper corners of the curve. Once I got that area started, I had my helper push LIGHTLY on the outside of the windshield, following me as I slid the screwdriver behind the gasket flipping the lip over the pinch weld. (The silicone spray allowed the screwdriver to slide along like butter.) You will have to make several passes, and every time the gasket will set more and more.

16. Continue having your helper push along as you flip the gasket over the pinch weld. It is important that your helper pushes along the same area with you as you flip the gasket. Eventually, the windshield and gasket will start settling in and you will have all of the gasket over the pinch weld. You may still have to make a couple more passes with the screwdriver/tool under the gasket until the windshield is fully settled.

17. Once fully seated, go over the inside and outside and make sure everything is set properly including the custom trim if you have it.

18. ADHESIVE: You can do this one of two ways I think. You could've laid a bead of weatherstrip adhesive on the pinch weld before the install, or (what I did), after the install insert the tip of your adhesive tube under the outside lip of the windshield and slide it along the entire windshield laying a bead. You will need to wipe up any excess adhesive pretty quickly or it gets tough to clean.

19. Clean up tools, wipe off any leftover silicone spray (or leave it, it is healthy for weatherstrip) and get your finger prints off the trim and window. You are DONE!

I hope this helps everyone out!

-Cort
Great write-up. I have a set of trim for my '63 but have hesitated to try the install after all of the horror stories. I will certainly get a Precision Gasket.

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #33
darkhorse970

Great write-up. I have a set of trim for my '63 but have hesitated to try the install after all of the horror stories. I will certainly get a Precision Gasket.

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #34
1963c-10

TTT for the new guys. Will be doing this Saturday or Sunday myself.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #35
slepysal

let us know how it goes!!!

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #36
1963c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
let us know how it goes!!!
Will do. Got the glass removed last night with help from Austin. Pinch welds are great, so clean up and finish sealing tonight...and color this weekend. I'll probably clean up the glass and get it sealed and taped into the gasket. Let it sit a few nights prior to install. I have the wide 60-61 trim to install also. And this will be good practice as I have the fleetside to do also.
Attached Images

1964 Short bed trailer
Old 08-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #37
61K10

I didn't have a windshield as my old one was cracked. called a place in town (Breaker glass) asked if he could get me a tinted w/s for my 61, he said in one day. I had my gaskets (precision) ft and rear. total cost for w/s and install both ft and rear. $361. all the venders want around $500 just to get it to your house. yes do it yourself if you have some help and don't need a new glass.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #38
1963c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
I didn't have a windshield as my old one was cracked. called a place in town (Breaker glass) asked if he could get me a tinted w/s for my 61, he said in one day. I had my gaskets (precision) ft and rear. total cost for w/s and install both ft and rear. $361. all the venders want around $500 just to get it to your house. yes do it yourself if you have some help and don't need a new glass.
I also have precision gaskets. I can reuse the glass in my stepside, but the fleetside will require new glass. It has bad separation in the lamination and two good chips that I'm sure will spider when smacked. Also has a nasty wiper scrape where the wiper came off at some point in its life.

MY stepside has a Plinkerton...so its been replaced at some point.
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 08-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #39
1963c-10

Thumbs up Re: How to install a 60-62 windshield in 30 minutes

Heres a follow up pic. Took a little longer than an hour and we ran out of light. Brian wants to let it sit a few days and do some small tweeking. He thinks it can still come in some.
Attached Images

1964 Short bed trailer
Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #40
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Heres a follow up pic. Took a little longer than an hour and we ran out of light. Brian wants to let it sit a few days and do some small tweeking. He thinks it can still come in some.
just put a hinge on it like a willys jeep... nice job!!! i have my gasket on my glass now to beat it into shape ,i'll add the trim in a day or so, just gotta find my tape and get some cord!!!
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #41
1963c-10

Yeah, the cord helped. We used parachute cord. Soapy water and extra hands. Did the same steps as written in the description. Start with the top 1st and work it around a few times w/pressure on the outside.

I put movers blankets down on the cab floors and stood on the tires for leverage.
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 08-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #42
WhippinSaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Nice job on the install 1963c-10, After I installed mine I felt it needed some tweaking also, what I found that worked in lieu of suction cups was having 2 people stand in the door openings and pancake the glass from the outside and inside with their hands and wiggle it up and around, the gasket also seated itself better after time in the sun and on the road, I think the biggest mistake that people do when installing the windshield is trying to seat the window with soft blows with the palm of their hand, if you don't hit it, it wont break.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #43
1963c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippinSaw View Post
Nice job on the install 1963c-10, After I installed mine I felt it needed some tweaking also, what I found that worked in lieu of suction cups was having 2 people stand in the door openings and pancake the glass from the outside and inside with their hands and wiggle it up and around, the gasket also seated itself better after time in the sun and on the road, I think the biggest mistake that people do when installing the windshield is trying to seat the window with soft blows with the palm of their hand, if you don't hit it, it wont break.
We found the same. Just good pressure worked fine to seat it. We'll let it sit a few days in the heat while we wait on the back glass gasket. When it comes in we'll install rear glass and finish tweaking the front. Just needs to come back I'd say 1/8" and it'd be perfect. Brian did glass for years, but never a curved windshield and never anything this old. He was a little upset we ran out of light and didn't get it 100%, but its in and we'll get the tweaking done in the next couple of days. The trim really makes a big difference in the front appearance and I'm glad I got the same trim for the fleetside. I plan to go out and clean up the glass tonight and clean up where sealer got on the glass, but it was coming off nice last night....just ran out of light. Another big part done though and looks great against the new paint!!!!

Couple more pics I had on the build thread...
Attached Images

1964 Short bed trailer
Old 10-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #44
FF SIX ONE

Nice write up, alot of help thank you. I also have a question. Someone had mentioned that the after market gaskets were not cut deep enough for the chrome molding trim to set right?
FF SIX ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #45
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF SIX ONE View Post
Nice write up, alot of help thank you. I also have a question. Someone had mentioned that the after market gaskets were not cut deep enough for the chrome molding trim to set right?
I don't recall the Precision gasket having an issue accepting the stainless trim.

I'm glad this write up has helped so many people!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote