The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #26
77ChevySharkBite

Re: Father (son) 86

Get some telfon tape for starters and put some on that bolt. 2nd i'm not quite sure what the hole is for but I do suggest go and buy some pipe plugs from autozone they have some for $20 and plug it up cause that might be the issue not that one bolt.

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #27
StarDust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
Get some telfon tape for starters and put some on that bolt. 2nd i'm not quite sure what the hole is for but I do suggest go and buy some pipe plugs from autozone they have some for $20 and plug it up cause that might be the issue not that one bolt.
will do...my steering column just arrived that I had bought from a forum member looks nice I like it! also any of you guys know any tricks, tips or anything to remove some play in the steering wheel I get like 2, 2/12 inches of play before my tires actually move
StarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:59 AM   #28
Paul83

Nice column. If you have slack check to see that there is no power steering leak from the gear box. Have you replaced the ball joints and or tie rods. You can also check to see if the rag joint is in good shape. I had a ton of play in my steering, but the ball joints and tie rods were in bad shape I replaced all the components and had a new gear box on it already and the play went away. I also replaced my pitman and idler arms.

I like long walks on the beach, dinner by candle light, and poking dead things with a stick.
Paul83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #29
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDust View Post
will do...my steering column just arrived that I had bought from a forum member looks nice I like it! also any of you guys know any tricks, tips or anything to remove some play in the steering wheel I get like 2, 2/12 inches of play before my tires actually move
Inspect the front suspension parts. Tie-rod ends, steering coupler (ragjoint), ball joints, & control arm bushings. Any of these parts if worn will allow excess play in the steering.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #30
StarDust

ok well i need help guys since im doing this solo while my dad works....the bearing/ring will not stay in place and moves with the metal rod thing, don't know if that's how its suppose to be or what i tried putting the ring with the C clip to see if it will hold it in place but that didnt work, when i got the column the rod was all the way in and had to get pliers and hammer it out

this is how far inside it goes..it deeper when i got it

and this is what happens when i try to take it out
Old 12-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #31
StarDust

heres a mini walk around of my truck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHic7kvGL8
Old 12-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #32
77ChevySharkBite

Sweet bro!!! Sounds good too!!

If you want to find our your numbers it's fairly easy take the hood off and on your right side of the block it will be your block numbers then a quick Google search will help solve it!

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:41 AM   #33
StarDust

hmm how hard would it be to make these land rover seats fit in the truck?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #34
Paul83

There will be some work that needs to be done, but if you take the seats off the frame and measure out the mounting holes it should make it easier. If you have any metal fab skills, there should be no issues. Did you get your bearing issue figured out on the steering column?

I like long walks on the beach, dinner by candle light, and poking dead things with a stick.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #35
StarDust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul83 View Post
There will be some work that needs to be done, but if you take the seats off the frame and measure out the mounting holes it should make it easier. If you have any metal fab skills, there should be no issues. Did you get your bearing issue figured out on the steering column?
I have absolutley zero fabbing expierance lol and yes I did i just got a screwdriver stuck it the bolt hole and hammered the rag joint on a bit then got a vise and hammered the rest in
Old 01-26-2014, 02:39 AM   #36
StarDust

not really A truck update but it I guess its a part of it? my very first tool box chest or whatever got it today, nothing to fancy just for the garage..and also I was SO close to getting a short bed but the owner decided not to sell bummer but I did make A 2 new square friends(ha get it?) that are a lot older than me we stayed talking for 2 hours or so he can help me get my patch panels welded up and do prep work or and also said he can teach me how to weld! or anything I want to..well enough talking time for pics
heres the short bed

and here is my new toolbox
Old 01-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #37
Paul83

Great. He can possibly help with the seats. I need a toolbox like that to get all of my tools organized.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #38
StarDust

Well I didn't get newer model seats but I did get seats and my parents were NOT happy with my pick up, got the seats and center console for $35..They gave me A speech about not buying pieces of junk for a high price lol :/
Old 02-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #39
maxxxy

Take those seats, a bottle of carpet cleaner, and a scrub brush to the car wash, and with a little work, those will look brand new!

Max's bagged 81

81 rcsb bagged, 22s, build in progress
09 ext cab, 24" U2's, DD sub/amp
maxxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #40
StarDust

Here are the seats

Any one have a idea what went in the hole in the center console? Im thinking of just putting a flat piece of metal and make holes so cups and go in and not tip over
Old 02-03-2014, 01:53 AM   #41
maxxxy

I found some pictures, but I still don't know exactly what it came out of, so I can't tell you where you can find the piece.

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...qsJsHYkzdQ.jpg

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...wmrra2s5LQ.jpg

Max's bagged 81

81 rcsb bagged, 22s, build in progress
09 ext cab, 24" U2's, DD sub/amp
maxxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:22 AM   #42
StarDust

Thank you maxxy and ok guys not really an update but I am sort of having A argument with my dad we have COMPLETELY different ways and ideas of doing things. For instance my new bucket seats he got mad because the seats I bought a were supposedly a peice of junk and i paid way to much for them (35$). I am not scared to try things and modify if needed i like to atleast try things out if they fail they fail..we bassically disagree on how to do things other than mechanic work.
How do you guys start off your projects? I am not sure whether i am doing things right or not or going the right path better yet.
Not sure if this applies to being personal life since most people want pics not autobiographies lol if so sorry
Old 02-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #43
Paul83

You can start wherever you want. Your preference. I started on the motor, because I wanted the thing running. Now I am doing interior and body. I am switching back and forth just to keep myself from going crazy. Plus I just don't have much body work to do.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:17 PM   #44
StarDust

well since I am broke as a Joke I decided to tackle something that does not require money to fix lol
my lower dash thing forgot what its called is misaligned like someone shoved against it only 3 screws are aligned the rest are way off and my cluster panel will not fit at all i had to shove it and break some parts to fit it and never messed with it up until now. has any one ran into this problem how did you fix it? i tried hammering it back into place but it was very difficult so i gave up and went with plan B..also are all these holes factory or something?

the only screwed not misaligned

is the panel supposed to be a tight fit?

picture doesnt depict it very well but panel is slightly off center to column or column is slightly off center with panel?lol

what are these holes for and screws?

also got my c10 longbed keychain in

Last edited by StarDust; 02-22-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:00 AM   #45
StarDust

Well fuel pump went out on me on the way to a food run..might just put it in the back yard and start actually doing needed work to it and stop procrastinating lol
Old 03-24-2014, 01:02 AM   #46
StarDust

Ok i have new old problem, when i would gun it or get on the highway it would start chochocking like starving for fuel or oxygen, like.it decelerates. Today I replaced my spark plugs, spark plug wires, new air filter, cleaned my carburator inside out, tried to clean my fuel pump, messed with my air mixture on carb A TON but it still loses power at 55mph. I will try to post a video if needed. My idle is always rough no matter what tried using a cup of water to see the vibration of the truck through the ripples but zip nada. I also sent my truck to get properly adjusted twice at different shops but they're worse than me, moron mechanics lol one shop even left my distributor cap loose
Old 03-24-2014, 01:36 AM   #47
Chevy3+3

Are you running an electric fuel pump or factory fuel pump? We had a fuel pump cause a problem like that. When we tried to accelerate hard or run down highway the fuel pump wasn't pumping enough fuel to the engine. We replaced the pump and it ran great. It was a factory block mounted fuel pump
Chevy3+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #48
StarDust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy3+3 View Post
Are you running an electric fuel pump or factory fuel pump? We had a fuel pump cause a problem like that. When we tried to accelerate hard or run down highway the fuel pump wasn't pumping enough fuel to the engine. We replaced the pump and it ran great. It was a factory block mounted fuel pump
Im running a non electric fuel pump, ill try replacing it again see what happens
Old 04-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #49
StarDust

well not many follow my slow ass build thread but here is a BUMMER. got reversed into and it HAD to happen the day before I went to a cruise to lake houston
Old 04-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #50
Cherub

Sorry to hear that bro.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote