The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #26
Jeff La

Re: 66 shorty step Easy project....what was I thinking?

Nice going hope your truck comes together quick for ya
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #27
BOXER957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
Thanks, I was hoping for a quick build...but you know how these things go. Here in New England everything is rust, sandblast, what?? more rust, sandblast...wholes?? And then it begins. I'm taking it as it comes. Thanks again for stopping by.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #28
BOXER957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swed View Post
Wow! nice to read about your story. Good luck with your build!
Subscribed..
Thanks, I'ma gonna need it. I'll definitely be honing up on my welding skills. Thanks for stopping by.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #29
BOXER957

4 days of rain (weatherman lied again) I've been trying to do some cleaning in the garage it doesn't look like I'll be getting this done before the cold weather sets in. I painted up some of the small parts got them shelved for the moment. Today, clean the yard!!!! I've been like a kid on Christmas morning ripping this thing apart so there are parts everywhere that need to be somewhere else. I was blasting, stepped back , got hung up on something and next thing I knew I woke up on the ground with about 6 holes in me. Nothing Duct tape couldn't fix and I think I enjoyed my nap. So far it's only got my blood and sweat, no tears...yet, though I did come close when I had to pay for all the body panels I have to replace. That's todays update kids, I'm cleaning my room.....tomorrow hopefully something special.....you'll just have to wait and see. Until then , keep on Truckin'
Old 09-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #30
BOXER957

Quote:
Originally Posted by step65 View Post
Great progress will be watching your build thanks for sharing. Had the same thing happen to me was told rearend was posi turned out nope.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ever seen one leak out the front like that? I had the truck on the trailer bouncing around and it had no shocks in it, do you think that could have caused the front seal to tear up? I've never heard of it but it wasn't leaking when I winched it up onto the trailer. When I got home and started rolling it off, as soon as it hit an angle it was pissing out NEW fluid. The kid swears it was just rebuilt by some shop, hence the new fluid....but then again he lied about everything else so???? I jacked it up, everything seems tight, definitely not posi. but it was tight, had fresh fluid and was not the original.....I just don't know if it's worth keeping for any reason. What's killing me is I just trashed a 12 bolt posi from a 70 nova that had been sitting in my yard for years and I do believe that would have fit this truck...
Old 09-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #31
BOXER957

Ok so it rained AGAIN, STILL, so things didn't go as planned. Onward and downward. I picked my Avalanche up from the shop where I had had both knock sensors, harness and intake gaskets replaced. Next day check engine light...problem with voltage on 2nd regulator I believe. I of course had bought all these parts online to save some $$ so I couldn't just run down the street and get it replaced. Sent away got another sensor and had it installed. I picked up the truck yesterday and on the way home my check engine light comes on again, same thing...any ideas???
Old 09-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #32
diablo03

I know how that goes....things not going as planned....

At least you have a garage to clean....I don't, which makes the weatherman a very important person to me...as long as he's right...lol

sorry to hear your issues with the avalanche too....do you have a scanner? what code is it popping?
2013 Ford Sedan Interceptor AWD
2017 Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer (great for hauling parts)
2017 Honda Rebel
diablo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #33
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXER957 View Post
Ok so it rained AGAIN, STILL, so things didn't go as planned. Onward and downward. I picked my Avalanche up from the shop where I had had both knock sensors, harness and intake gaskets replaced. Next day check engine light...problem with voltage on 2nd regulator I believe. I of course had bought all these parts online to save some $$ so I couldn't just run down the street and get it replaced. Sent away got another sensor and had it installed. I picked up the truck yesterday and on the way home my check engine light comes on again, same thing...any ideas???
i have an idea on newer better vehicles with all that fancy stuff, junk it!!! just kidding the more i've gotten into my 65stepper and other builds i find its so simple and will outlast most things on the road and with a couple of turns of a flathead its fixed. but maybe its your fuel choice or something with ur spark, too many littles sensors will drive you crazy... hope u get it handled ps i can download the pics, but when i try to email or upload my 5yr old pooter just says error and if i had a road map to putting ur truck back together u would end up in china with all the twists and turns, as a matter of fact im heading to Ky. next month for some original bumpers for my project hopes its a good source if it turns out to be i'll share with ya....
Posted via Mobile Device
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:44 AM   #34
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I finally got around to checking out your build thread. Too bad about the donor engine, but hopefully the 700r4 is in good condition.....plus you got that cool front suspension. The differential likely just needs a pinion seal, and possibly a speedy-sleeve on the yoke.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #35
BOXER957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I finally got around to checking out your build thread. Too bad about the donor engine, but hopefully the 700r4 is in good condition.....plus you got that cool front suspension. The differential likely just needs a pinion seal, and possibly a speedy-sleeve on the yoke.
Welcome aboard. Yes I did get some good parts, I always see the silver lining. As far as the rear goes I'm only hanging on to it until I find out if my original is good. If I need it...then I'll be fixing it. Glad you stopped by, I welcome any and everybody's input, come by anytime.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #36
BOXER957

Smile Re: 66 shorty step Easy project....what was I thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
i have an idea on newer better vehicles with all that fancy stuff, junk it!!! just kidding the more i've gotten into my 65stepper and other builds i find its so simple and will outlast most things on the road and with a couple of turns of a flathead its fixed. but maybe its your fuel choice or something with ur spark, too many littles sensors will drive you crazy... hope u get it handled ps i can download the pics, but when i try to email or upload my 5yr old pooter just says error and if i had a road map to putting ur truck back together u would end up in china with all the twists and turns, as a matter of fact im heading to Ky. next month for some original bumpers for my project hopes its a good source if it turns out to be i'll share with ya....
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree. The worst part is if you rip off all the "pollution control" crap the car runs cleaner and gets better gas mileage, how screwed up is that? Follow the money...Going all the way to Ky.? wouldn't re-plating yours be cheaper? Or do you not have any? I have my originals in good shape and for now they're going back on as clean as I can get them. My truck is going to be a door-slammer not a show truck...I don't want a show truck I'll scratch the paint or get a ding in it and I don't want to have to worry about it all the time. It will be a darn nice driver though
Old 09-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #37
TommyDuncan

Hey don't look at my build thread or you will think I'm a (insert derogatory word of your choice here). The first truck I bought was rusty so I got another one. The first ones looking better after seeing your build!haha!

Stick with it. It seems like you are having a blast Sitting on your wallet will be far worse for you than crawling all over that ol' truck(as long as you've had your Tetanus shot).

As far as that rear end goes, did you have the pinion pointed down for quite a while when you were moving it around? It's pretty common for them to leak in that position since they spend many years relatively horizontal. At the very least since most of the juice is gone you might as well see what's inside so you know what you got. Sooner or later gear ratios will be important and you might have exactly what you need sitting right there leaving reminders all over the place.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
TommyDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #38
BOXER957

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDuncan View Post
Hey don't look at my build thread or you will think I'm a (insert derogatory word of your choice here). The first truck I bought was rusty so I got another one. The first ones looking better after seeing your build!haha!

Stick with it. It seems like you are having a blast Sitting on your wallet will be far worse for you than crawling all over that ol' truck(as long as you've had your Tetanus shot).

As far as that rear end goes, did you have the pinion pointed down for quite a while when you were moving it around? It's pretty common for them to leak in that position since they spend many years relatively horizontal. At the very least since most of the juice is gone you might as well see what's inside so you know what you got. Sooner or later gear ratios will be important and you might have exactly what you need sitting right there leaving reminders all over the place.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, I am having a blast (sandblast haha) and you're right sitting on my wallet is getting far easier since I started working on this truck, most likely because it is getting so much thinner. The rear end was supposed to be a rebuilt 12 bolt in an 87 pickup. It's in my donor, I'm not concerned with fixing it unless I need it. Tetanus shot??? I eat rust for breakfast!
Old 09-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #39
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXER957 View Post
I agree. The worst part is if you rip off all the "pollution control" crap the car runs cleaner and gets better gas mileage, how screwed up is that? Follow the money...Going all the way to Ky.? wouldn't re-plating yours be cheaper? Or do you not have any? I have my originals in good shape and for now they're going back on as clean as I can get them. My truck is going to be a door-slammer not a show truck...I don't want a show truck I'll scratch the paint or get a ding in it and I don't want to have to worry about it all the time. It will be a darn nice driver though
naw its a show stopper daily driver, the only reason im buying new one cuz my got swiped from the side of my garage i left em out side to get some real patina on then brackets and all both front and back bumpers man i was pissed!!!! but were doing a road trip anyway so i figure stop by Ky on the way, i been following others leads of course but this is "maybe" a sure thing. ima have my lady show me how to load my pics sorry lack of the starting of my build cuz when i started smart phones were just a dream and we internet was only dial up, but i'll show what i do have in my phone til next time keep em old school.
Posted via Mobile Device
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #40
BOXER957

Ok, done sandblasting.....now what?........This is what's left....
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #41
BOXER957

Just kidding. Ok so a couple new pics because we all like picyures here. Too many days of having a blast (sandblasting) brought the front and rear down to metal and then POR-15 on everything. If I could get to it, it got blasted and painted. I like the POR-15 because I know whatever it touches will never see rust again. I still have some on my elbow from a month ago and it hasn't rusted, and I take a shower every day. Oh yeah that too, don't get any on you. Anyway I'm leaving the rear alone until I know whether or not I'm keeping it. If I can get it apart and it's good, then I'll blast it. As of right now, I can't get the drive shaft off. The u bolts and u-joint are rusted tight to the rear, so we'll see. Started cutting and welding the passenger side. Lower front door pillar, part of kick panel, inner and outer rocker, parts and pieces of floor, front and rear cab mounts. I think I did ok considering I've only ever welded a square patch here and there. Still need to do cab corner...looked savable before I found all the bondo. I told you guys to buy stock in cpp. Anything I cut access to, I sandblast and POR it then spray with bedliner before I close it back up. I also do the same with any parts I'm welding on that will be closed off after they're put on. Sort of a safeguard for the future, I know inside my cab-mounts and door-pillars are POR-ed and hit with bedliner for protection. Enough babble, on with the pics.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #42
BOXER957

A couple of the passenger side, not finished but I think I'm on the right track.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #43
flips72

just read through your build and for someone who has only welded a square patch or two looks as though this stuff must come naturally to you, great work, and I hope the back gets better.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #44
BOXER957

Thanks for the compliment Flip, coming from you that means something! I try my best, I have to say I was very proud (amazed) that the door lined up with perfect gap all the way around. I was a bit nervous cutting out all the pieces....Now that they're back together, I'm a happy boy! As far as my back, thanks for the well wish. It's degenerative so it's not going to get better, someday I'll be in a wheelchair or worse. I'm not supposed to be walking, so I figure every day I can is a blessing....though my neighbors might not agree. How're you making out on your truck? I liked the look of that raptor so much I bought two kits!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #45
Bomp

Nice job on the floor.

Taking a break from my mess in the shop. I started surfing the interweb and found your build. Couldn't pull away and while reading regained motivation to head back out to the shop and stare at Steiner for a few more hours.

Great job so far. Subscribed.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #46
mr andrerson

Lookin great! You sir, are inspirational! Keep the pics and progress Rollin!
Posted via Mobile Device
mr andrerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #47
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Nice progress. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #48
BOXER957

Thanks for the input!! It's always nice to hear something, good or bad, just to know someone's checking up on me. The fact that you are pumps up my motivation to get back on it! I've been making progress, slow and steady. I admit it's been hard to find the mojo to get on it. I may be alone in the shop, but now I know I'm not alone here! I'll post some more pics and updates tonight. Again, thanks for checking in on me, and please, anytime you do, here or on someone elses build, drop a quick note it definitely helps kick in the motivation knowing there is at least someone out there that's interested. Ya'll have a great day and I hope things are moving in the right direction for you.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #49
BOXER957

Quick update, picked up a motor, new gm block, summit mild street kit, eagle rods, deep sump oil pan etc. etc. etc. and so on. Tranny (700r4) is at the shop having its physical and getting fitted up with the proper cables and whatever all he does so I don't have to worry about the lock up. Also found a rebuilt Edelbrock 750 with a whole jet and gasket kit while picking up parts for another project. Always ask if they have anything else they want to sell! Some pics!
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #50
BOXER957

Yeah, forgot to mention powdercoated M/T valve covers, Edelbrock intake, timing chain cover (double roller) and ....roller rockers....all for the nifty sum of $500. Divorce makes people do strange things......
Attached Images