The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #26
bigmac73

Re: Holley Carb Problems

since you are in NM , i would wire the choke open fully, you should not need it either way in your climate,
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #27
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

14" of vacuum at idle seems low for a stock or mild setup. Does this have a lopey cam or does it idle smooth?

Also factory timing specs are terrible (designed for emissions and 60s/70s fuel). A SBC likes 8-12 degrees initial at idle. Yes, this will bump up your idle speed. So once you solve the idle speed problem, I'd put the timing back in that range.

I agree that the next step is to disconnect all vacuum lines and plug them at the carb. Any difference?

I'm wondering about the choke setup too. Something doesn't sound right there either.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #28
cool68

so, post a couple of picks of carb - maybe someone will see something that is not right.
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #29
landy

AFAIk, the motor is original and stock. I think the idle vacuum reading will be lower as elevation increases. I'm a mile high above sea level, so 14 in. is probably ok.
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #30
familyfast64

Are you holding the throttle linkage open when turning the electric choke housing? That's how you have to do it in order to watch the choke blade move to 90
Old 01-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #31
familyfast64

What carb do you have? I know you said street performer but I've only heard of the street avenger. I'm not trying to be a smart ass and correct you just making sure you don't have some old carb I've never heard of. Which is possible. If you do have the street avenger I can personally tell you mine doesn't work that way and someone prolly rebuilt it and didn't put it together right.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #32
familyfast64

A stock motor should also have close to 20in hg. I don't think elevation has anything to do with vacuum bud. Just your air fuel ratio is all.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 PM   #33
familyfast64

I would pull her off and rebuild it yourself so you know it's right. There's a few good videos and articles that will dumb everything down. You'll be thanking yourself later because tunning is a regular must do with carbs. Especially as weather changes. Once you learn all 4 circuits and how to diagnose issues with each you'll be balling. Lol
Old 01-22-2014, 12:32 AM   #34
landy

FamilyFast64, you're wrong on the vacuum. A vacuum gauge reads the difference between a reference pressure (atmospheric) and a negative pressure (vacuum) inside your engine. Pressure varies with elevation, so the higher the elevation, the lower the reference pressure.

Here's a link that describes basic vacuum gauge theory. Refer to the note section under performing a vacuum gauge test.

http://www.gregsengine.com/using-a-vacuum-gauge.html

Anyway, back to the choke issue. I've looked at some Holley Carb youtube clips and they show the choke blade when fully opened as in the same position as mine, i.e., less than 90 degrees from horizontal. So I guess that must be the way Holley designed it.

Well, back to figuring out the idle issue.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:49 AM   #35
familyfast64

Yup that makes sense. But still your only a thousand feet above sea level right? Would it effect it that much? And how do you know your spring in the choke isn't wound once two many times? Just adjust it to where it'll work. Then set your carb to the base starting point and tune.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:30 AM   #36
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The OP said he is a mile above sea level....that is 5280 feet which will affect his engine's vacuum considerably

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyfast64 View Post
Yup that makes sense. But still your only a thousand feet above sea level right? Would it effect it that much? And how do you know your spring in the choke isn't wound once two many times? Just adjust it to where it'll work. Then set your carb to the base starting point and tune.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:47 AM   #37
landy

FamilyFast 64, the electric choke works great, just as it should. Truck starts easily and runs good when cold, and good when fully warmed up. What I'm confused about, besides the idle issue, is that the choke linkage appears to be designed in such a way as to not allow the choke blade to open 90 degrees from the horizontal, i.e., more like 65 to 75 degrees. I guess if it runs good that way, I shouldn't sweat it and just focus on the high idle issue...
Old 01-22-2014, 03:04 AM   #38
familyfast64

Ok but could you shave the blade? Sry for being wrong about the vacuums and ft above sea level. Thanks for clearing that up. I remember filing off the edges of the choke blade. would you be able to do something like this? Even if this doesn't effect your idle speed it should open to ninety correct? I was just trying to give a guy some help. Il opt out of this one.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #39
homemade87

Landy, I have something like this happen before. Just put a little pressure on the choke blade to move it open and open the throttle a little and see if it opens all the way while holding pressuse on the blade. If it does realease the throttle while still holding pressuse on the choke blade and see if it stays open. If it does then the choke needs adjusting some how to correct. You could start it at this point but dont touch the gas peddle or it will go back.You could also do this while running. And check idle and see if it helps. The blade should always be at a 90* when fully warmed. This was from my experience. Hope this helps.
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #40
landy

Yeah, I'll get some pics this weekend and post. I've looked at some Holly Carb clips on youtube, and the choke blade position looks similar to mine. May be the intended design position.

The choke works great, truck starts easily when cold, choke blade opens as truck warms up, and truck runs great when warm. Just puzzling that the choke blade can't by design open completely to 90 degrees from horizontal.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #41
landy

I'll take some pics of the choke linkage this weekend. A pic is worth a thousand words... Hopefully, the pics will better illustrate my the problem or my confusion.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #42
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Double thread. You got one in the engine section too.

Maybe a moderator can merge the 2 for you.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #43
cool68

attached some pics of same carb, I guess, that you have on my '68 getting ready to sell/trade - using Edelbrock Performer manifold.. shows at start up, then warm up. recently moved return spring pulling toward rear, will move back to pulling from bracket at front - seems to idle down better.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2014, 12:38 AM   #44
landy

So is the choke blade vertical, i.e., 90 degrees from horizontal when the engine is warmed up?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:33 AM   #45
cool68

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy View Post
So is the choke blade vertical, i.e., 90 degrees from horizontal when the engine is warmed up?
** No - look at pic - top shot (not too good) at warm up - bottom at initial start up.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #46
msgdsrf

Your return spring doesn't have enough tention to give good return as set up in your pic. You may adjust the choke to open more by removing the rod (remove the three bolts holding the choke timing spring) and giving it a little more bend, but this will also open it more when in a closed position.

Last edited by msgdsrf; 01-23-2014 at 09:57 AM.
msgdsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #47
msgdsrf

The closed position may not actually be as effected on that model, I'm not sure about that. But adjust for more open by giving the rod to the butterfly a little more bend in it at the bigger mid point bend.
msgdsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #48
cableguy0

Your return spring isn't tight enough. Second disconnect the throttle linkage and make sure it isn't holding the throttle open. It should be free. Im gonna bet between that linkage and the springs not being tight enough its causing your high idle. The choke definitely should be open a bit farther.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #49
burnin oil

I had to bend the linkage rod on my 4160 carb to keep it from doing the same thing. Mine is a manual choke so it effects all of them.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #50
landy

Took some pics of the choke blade position and linkage. Choke blade position is identical to Cool68's choke position, and it looks similar to other Holleys that I've seen pics of. Maybe that's the factory setting, but it sure seems like it should be opened completely or 90 degrees from horizontal.

First pic shows choke closed at start-up. Second pic shows choke rod on top of fast idle cam- idle adjustment screw has been completely backed out. Third pic shows choke blade at engine fully warm and choke completely opened. Last pics shows choke linkage at fully warmed up position.

I can push the throttle linkage slightly forward to bring the idle down slightly, but it still is idling too high, and idle adjustment screw is completely backed out. Guess I need an even stronger return spring, or the linkage is binding at the carb.

Vacuum secondaries don't seem to be opening under acceleration. I saw that one can confirm that the vacuum actuator rod is moving by tying a bread wire tie around the rod, doing a drive, and seeing if it was pushed/moved down the rod.
Attached Images