The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #26
BLP

Re: Fuel pump problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
How are all these vapor lock fixes going to get fuel into the fuel filter? It sounds like some kind of tank restriction to me. On a normal vehicle that filter is usually completely full with maybe a little bubble on the top.
I agree, I cant see why it is a vapor lock in the carb? The fuel is not getting to the carb. I can see the filter going empty way before the engine dies or even runs badly. But as I said earler in my post. I have ran a fuel hose to a small container with fuel in it and got the same result. Taking the tank and lines out of the picture. No heat anywhere near the fuel.
BLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #27
cadillac_al

When I had a fuel issue a couple weeks ago I ran a line to a half gallon milk jug full of gas. The fuel pump picked that up easily. I was amazed it drank most of that gas before it even got idling smooth; 10-15 seconds and that jug was almost empty. If yours won't do that, then it must not be pumping like it's supposed to.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #28
BLP

Ok, after wasting more money on an electric fuel pump and regulater I think geezer is right. I put the electric pump on and had the exact results. So I went to adjusting the Floats and noticed the fuel level rising as the engine got warm. So I reved it up to clear some fuel out and gas shot out of the bowl vent. This whole time I thought it was running out of gas and now I see it is getting to much. So now I set the fuel pressure while it was cold and let it warm up and adjusted the floats while it was hot. Fuel pressure still drops but the bowls stay full? So I think the fuel is boiling off now but it is not flooding it self. I probably need to get a 1" spacer and a shorter air cleaner. More money but I think I am in the right direction. Not sure why the bowls where getting fuller as it got hot but I am not the smartest guy out there. Sorry so long winded. Thanks.
BLP is offline   Reply With Quote